April 16, 2024, 02:58:13 PM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke sets his sights on becoming Aston Villa manager  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke sets his sights on becoming Aston Villa manager
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:31:18 AM »
Dwight Yorke sets his sights on becoming Aston Villa manager
By Mat Kendrick (Birmingham Mail)

FALLEN idol Dwight Yorke is determined to repair his rift with the claret and blue faithful once and for all – by one day returning to Villa Park as manager.

Yorke was the darling of the Holte End during the mid to late 1990s but tossed away his hero status when he defected to join Manchester United.

His controversial departure hurt Villa fans and while some have forgiven him over time, others are still angry at him for turning his back on their club.

And Yorke, who has started studying for his coaching badges, would love to completely make amends with a successful spell in the Villa Park dug-out.

“Ideally, I would love to manage Villa in a few years,” said Yorke.

“I don’t want to be a manager when I’m old. I want to be young, because I’ve seen the changes in football and I’ve had to change myself as a player.

“That, without a doubt, would be the ultimate dream in a manager’s job.

“I feel like I’ve gained a lot of experience in the 20 years I’ve been involved. I know what the modern-day players are like and how to deal with that. I think my personality suits that so there’s all the ingredients there for me to be a manager.

I just hope that somebody gives me that opportunity. If it’s not my first job at Villa then hopefully in the future.’’

Yorke, who retired from playing at the end of last season, was rocked by the death of his mother just under three months ago and has used his coaching studies at Keele University to occupy his mind.

“When you think of retirement you think of just lying on the beach and relaxing,” he said.

“It hasn’t quite been that way because of the tragedy of my mum passing away so that’s obviously a bit of a shock to the system for all of my family.

“I’m trying to do my coaching badges and I’m a keen golfer as well so it all adds up.

“At the moment I’m just trying to get in the management side of things. I’ve been doing my coaching badges and I just hope for that one opportunity to have a go at management.

“I’m just about to complete the B and then I’m going on to the A in January.”

But Yorke admits homework and classrooms can be a bit boring after hanging up his boots following a glittering career, including a clean sweep of domestic trophies and a Champions League-winning medal.

“You ask any footballer who’s doing it, they don’t really enjoy it,” he said.

“It puts in your mind how to arrange things and put things together and I can see why you need it.

“But they’re things that you sort of know and you just have to tick the boxes. You’ve got to put the hours in to become a manager.

“There are all sorts of people, people you don’t know, people from abroad. I think Andy Cole’s trying to do his as well.

“It does take its toll when you’re having to go away and do assessments. It’s a bit like going back to school. It’s another two-and-a-half years before I get the pro-licence. That’s what they want you to get.”

Yorke has assured Villa fans who have any lingering animosity over the way he left in the summer of 1998 that he still holds the club who gave him his chance close to his heart.

The smiling assassin believes his decision to turn his back on his beloved claret and blue to wear United’s red was vindicated by the treble win during his very first season at Old Trafford.

And when Yorke moves into management he insists he will use former Villa bosses Ron Atkinson and Brian Little as his inspiration – as well as Sir Alex Ferguson, of course.

“I don’t think people could not forgive me because of what I’ve done and what I achieved by leaving Villa,” said Yorke.

“I certainly didn’t leave Villa for money and I think everyone knew that because the reality was Villa actually offered me more money to stay.

“The fact was that I’d achieved as much as I could and I’d learned my trade well at Villa.

“I was very fortunate to be at such a big club to provide me with the facilities and the knowledge of the game. I was able to play under some great managers there as well.

“Brian Little was very instrumental and Big Ron helped me a lot to become a footballer and showed me what it takes mentally to achieve in the game.”

Yorke believes there were similarities between his own upsetting exit from B6 11 years ago and Gareth Barry’s decision to quit the club last summer.

But while the Trinidad and Tobago frontman was justified by the medals on his mantelpiece, Yorke is not convinced the England midfielder went for the right reasons.

“I don’t want to talk too much about the Barry situation, but he was in a similar position,” added Yorke.

“Has he left Villa to go to a bigger club? I’m not so sure, but obviously the money is there and maybe he needs a new challenge himself.

“I went to United and won the treble in the first year. You couldn’t ask for a better thing to happen, could you?

“I mean how spawny you probably think I am. I was very lucky to move to Manchester United and play in a great team for a great manager at a great club and that’s why we won what we did.

“But Aston Villa are the club that took a chance on me so that’s why I will always have a special affection for them and would love to go back to be the manager in the future.”

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Consultant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Dwight Yorke sets his sights on becoming Aston Villa manager
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:40:17 AM »
I wonder if he go take Latas with he  ???
 :devil: :rotfl:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:16:38 AM »
check this...and I very serious...i think Yorke will be a very good manager/coach...
and i really dont have much to go on here but.. having just read his second book.. reading between the lines..the man have lots to offer...not to mention...everything he touches turns to gold...

i trained next to him in QPCC gym last week... de man sick..if yuh see that work out..'I" nearly vomit watching it...

good luck skipper
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »
When a 17 year old Tobagonian go from Tobago to champions league treble with Manchester united to leading TT to their first ever world cup appearance at both junior and senior level..... who is me to doubt him .... good luck Yorkie.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:05:46 AM »
...not to mention...everything he touches turns to gold...

Must be a lot ah gold birds flying 'rung England den...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
How is Yorke a "fallen idol"?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:31:43 AM »
How is Yorke a "fallen idol"?

"FALLEN idol Dwight Yorke is determined to repair his rift with the claret and blue faithful once and for all – by one day returning to Villa Park as manager."

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:14 AM »
When a 17 year old Tobagonian go from Tobago to champions league treble with Manchester united to leading TT to their first ever world cup appearance at both junior and senior level..... who is me to doubt him .... good luck Yorkie.

Same here - Good luck to the man  :beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »
Good luck to de Smiling Assasin  :beermug:

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:41 PM »
Well Dwight, here's your chance... :beermug:

Villa sack McLeish
(UKPA) – 1 hour ago

Alex McLeish has been sacked by Aston Villa, less than 24 hours after the end of his first season in charge, the club have announced on their website.

The Scot was an unpopular appointment among many Villa fans after he took neighbours Birmingham down last season and although he avoided a second successive relegation this term, it was not enough to save his job.

A win-less run stretching to nine matches saw Villa finish just two points clear of the drop, and McLeish's fate was confirmed following talks with senior club officials.

Villa chairman Randy Lerner said: "We need to be clear and candid with ourselves and with supporters about what we have lacked in recent years. Compelling play and results that instil a sense of confidence that Villa is on the right track have been plainly absent.

"The most immediate action that we can take is to look carefully at our options in terms of bringing in a new manager who sees the club's potential and embraces our collective expectations."

Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner added: "We'd like to thank Alex for his hard work and efforts throughout this tough season.

"We are mindful of the club's need to prepare thoroughly for the new campaign and for the new manager to be able to begin working with the board so that he is quickly immersed in these preparations and also in the long-term objectives of the club. Our focus now will be driven by these imperatives and we will update when appropriate."

Sections of the Villa support again called for the former Birmingham boss to be axed as Villa ended the campaign just two points clear of the bottom three.

McLeish had to contend with slashing the wage bill, which he described as "astronomical", and was deprived of several key players through injury or illness.

Their tally of 38 points in finishing 16th is actually one less than when McLeish was relegated with Birmingham at the end of last season. Villa have also encountered their worst season in their history in terms of their home record, registering just four wins.

Copyright © 2012 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
You really feel they will give Yorke that?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
seem to be a small growing movement by teams in europe to hire young, you never know..
But I think he hadda establish himself a  lill bit more with some youths and reserves at Man Utd first...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
have heard this talk about Yorke doing his badges for years ....he is now completing his " B" liscence ? I hope he can really succeed as a coach as it is not automatic that a good player makes a good coach. we all know that T&T needs good coaches to work at all levels.  I see we are still in the one man go save us mode ....... Coffee's brewing folks ....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
The only villa Yorke will ever manage is a holiday home in Tobago!

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
The only villa Yorke will ever manage is a holiday home in Tobago!
Surely U are not serious!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
Does Dwight have an FA badge?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
De only Villa Yorke managing is Villa Capri.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Boy Sam..... :rotfl:

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 07:50:14 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Boy Sam..... :rotfl:

That was coming  :beermug: :devil:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »
he black and he foreign

Not getting no manager work in England.

Men like Southgate, WIse , Hughes etc

Does slide in from playing to manager easy easy.

have not seen a black man do it yet.

Hopefully it will be one of the first.

Even Ince try a thing and all he get removed quick from blackburn. and he English

Yorke best bet is to join a smaller lower division club and maybe work his way up.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
Dwight have ah FA certificate? To be a manger does he not have to attend the FA coaches academy?

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:08 AM »
KND make a good point, qualifications aside, it harder for him to make breakthrough compared to his white peers.

He hadda relll standout as a youth/lower devision coach to move up the ladder.

Remember he is a man who have a reputation eh, and that reputation aint the best in terms of a disciplined manager. I cld see yorkie smiling on d sidelines even while his team is being relegated.

But try a thing yes, yuh never know...

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »
Why he doh apply for the TT job.