April 19, 2024, 02:14:55 AM

Author Topic: Americans have some way to go - Greene  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Americans have some way to go - Greene
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »
Americans have some way to go - Greene
Published: Friday | January 15, 2010
Ryon Jones, Gleaner Writer

Five-time world champion and Sydney 2000 Olympic 100 metres gold medallist, Maurice Greene, believes that American men have some way to go before they will be able to compete with Jamaica in the sprints.

Greene, who is in the island as a special guest of the organisers of tomorrow's Douglas Forrest Invitational track meet which is set for the National Stadium, said yesterday that there was only one American male sprinter, 2007 World 100m and 200m champion Tyson Gay, who has the potential, at the moment, to match the Jamaicans.

He said local runners would dominate any United States (US) versus Jamaica sprint challenge. "I, personally, wouldn't want to be in that right now because you all would dominate most of the events, but it will bring a lot of excitement and that is always good," Greene said.

In saying it will take a number of years before the US can compete with Jamaica in the sprints, Greene said there is no one to challenge Usain Bolt.

He added: "(We are looking at) ... at least five, six years because you have Usain (Bolt), and who knows how long he is going to run? We are going to have to compete against that monster (Usain) for a while, and I don't really see anyone in the US at this time other than Tyson (Gay) that is going to step up and compete against him. That's why we need to do something with our youth in America. We have to do something to bring them along, to help them out."

Return to the top

The Athens Olympics 100m gold medallist, Justin Gatlin, recently vowed to return to the top of male sprinting after completing his four-year doping ban, but his compatriot Greene does not hold out much hope for that happening.

"Personally, no," Greene said. "He has been out for way too long, four years is a very long time not to compete. He has a tremendous mountain up against him and the times that these guys are running now, he wasn't running these times when he was there. Personally, I would say, what's the point? You should just live your glory days and sit back and watch
, like me."
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Americans have some way to go - Greene
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »
Who win Relay silver in de last worlds and Olympics again ?

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
HE also said he thought first time drug offenders should be banned for life, which is funny on a whole number of levels.....
BORN TO DO IT

Offline prodigy23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:26:23 PM »
HE also said he thought first time drug offenders should be banned for life, which is funny on a whole number of levels.....

:whistling:

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: u saying  a lot without saying anything

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:27:56 PM »

Ato wa yuh sayin dey? lol

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »

Ato wa yuh sayin dey? lol

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/athletics/article3908470.ece

“I found John Smith very professional. He knew what was going on and wanted me to work with the two athletes from his group that he most trusted. After winning in Sydney, Maurice had slipped a bit. Tim Montgomery was the new kid on the block. Maurice wanted to run fast, make a medal at the Athens Games and hold on to his adidas contract.”

Heredia worked with Greene in 2003 and 2004. Theirs was a predominantly business relationship. “We got on fine but it wasn’t a relationship based on friendship.” Heredia claims he would call Greene, talk to him about his test results, explain to him what he was getting and make sure he followed the protocols. “He ran well in 2003 until he had problems with his knee. He followed the same protocols in 2004 and he did well to get the bronze medal in Athens.”

Heredia had documentation showing a $10,000 wire transfer from an M Greene. When Greene was asked about this money, he said he had paid someone else’s bill. He flatly denies using performance-enhancing drugs. Smith and Wade have not commented on the allegations. “Obviously Maurice was caught by surprise,” says Heredia. “You know, all of a sudden they call you and tell you your name is in the press linked to the main witness in the Feds’ investigation.

“So Maurice says he paid the $10,000 for someone else? A guy said to me, ‘I want a friend like that.’ But who’s going to give you $32,000 just because you smile at him. Come on! It don’t work like that.” BY THE middle of 2004, the word was out that the Feds were eager to interview Heredia. Associates advised him to disappear into Mexico and lie low until the Feds moved on to their next case, but he had finally got round to doing his kinesiology degree and wasn’t walking out on that.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
"I does JUST buy PE drugs
I doh use dem"
MG 2008
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »
if greene get busted ppl will say ato was in de camp so he used as well..guilty by association...i always had suspicions about greene regarding drug use.

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
if greene get busted ppl will say ato was in de camp so he used as well..guilty by association...i always had suspicions about greene regarding drug use.

Anyone ever called Ato's name?  That is the BIGGEST difference.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 02:08:32 PM »

Anyone ever called Ato's name?  That is the BIGGEST difference.

dem americans will start to call his name...and de yardies will start dat small talk....dat would be a win-win situation for ato when u look at it..greene busted and ato could file lawsuit for slander.... ;D

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »
The reason my name ent call or appear on no list is not because of fear of lawsuits lol - think about it.
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>