March 28, 2024, 11:26:44 AM

Author Topic: Italy 'to open first prison for transgender inmates'  (Read 1186 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Italy 'to open first prison for transgender inmates'
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:02:40 AM »
Italy 'to open first prison for transgender inmates'

Italy is to open one of the world's first prisons for transgender inmates, reports say.

The prison, at Pozzale, near the Tuscan city of Florence, is expected to house inmates who mainly have convictions for drug-related offences and prostitution.

Gay rights groups in Italy welcomed the move to convert an almost empty medium security women's prison into a specially equipped detention centre.

It is thought that Italy has a total of some 60 transgender prisoners.

The centre will house about 30 people, according to reports.

The BBC's Duncan Kennedy, in Rome, says that until now transgender prisoners have been located in women's prisons where they are often segregated for their own safety.

Psychological support

Leading gay rights groups say they welcome the new prison as a dedicated space providing the psychological support transgender prisoners need.

However, one local council official has said she cannot understand why the Pozzale prison had remained almost empty for so long.

"There are at least 30 to 40 women held in nearby prisons who would be ready to be transferred to a medium-security centre such as Pozzale. But very restrictive entry requirements were imposed," Franco Corleone told Italian news agency Adnkronos.

According to Italian newspaper Il Giornale, the prison only has two inmates at present but has a staff of 22 people.

The prison has its own library, recreation centre, football pitch and agricultural land which produces olive oil and wine.

Inmates also have their own cell and are given a personal development plan.

Ah sign of d times...... :devil:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:06:47 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Italy 'to open first prison for transgender inmates'
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:23:02 AM »
steupse..

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
steupse..
So what yuh saying, throw them in wid the general male population tuh get beaten and raped? i find that's a humane move, after all, black ppl and spanish folks didn't have rights @ one time, and as sinful as it may sound too you,these soft feminine men have rights just like the rest of us. allyuh beggining tuh sound like jamaicans yes.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:59:08 PM »
steupse..
So what yuh saying, throw them in wid the general male population tuh get beaten and raped? i find that's a humane move, after all, black ppl and spanish folks didn't have rights @ one time, and as sinful as it may sound too you,these soft feminine men have rights just like the rest of us. allyuh beggining tuh sound like jamaicans yes.
you jes want yuh private space to take yuh man when you make yuh jaill..yuh petti coat wearing batty man...lol

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:00:19 AM »
steupse..
you jes want yuh private space to take yuh man when you make yuh jaill..yuh petti coat wearing batty man...lol
Eh! yuh looking for company? well FYI, i doh need no permission from ah soul, but it seem like you fishing for compatible friends? in that case i suggest woodford square, yuh old hangout spot. :devil:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »
Come on fellas...cant we all jus get along......

This is probably the only jail you are allowed to drop d soap.... :devil:
Ah say it, how ah see it

1]; } ?>