April 27, 2024, 10:07:11 AM

Author Topic: Martin Joseph: I kept my promise  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Martin Joseph: I kept my promise
« on: January 01, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »
Joseph: I kept my promise

-Ria Taitt

Friday, January 1st 2010

National Security Minister Martin Joseph kept his promise to the nation- when he said the absolute number of murders would go down this year. Forty-two more people are alive this year than last year.

In January of this year, speaking at a post Cabinet news conference, Joseph gave an assurance that the record number of murders which occurred in 2008, would not be repeated this year.

’What I can assure you is (this): no way are we going to find ourselves in 2009 in the same situation we found ourselves in 2008,’ he had said.

Yesterday the Ministry of National Security released a statement pointing out that the Minister ’took time out today to thank members of law enforcement agencies for their efforts in reducing the murder rate from 548 in 2008 to 506 in 2009, representing a 7.6 reduction.

Additionally the release noted, Joseph pointed to an increase in the rate of solved murders from 18.1 per cent in 2008 to 26.3 per cent this year. Of out 506, 133 murders were solved in 2009 as compared to 99 solved murders out of 548 last year. In 2007, there were 393 murders of which 73 were solved, representing an 18.6 solved rate.

The Minister who has always taken the position that the transformation of the Police Service was key to reducing crime, pledged that Government would continue to provide the law enforcement agencies with the required resources as it continues to fight crime.

He added that the Government commits to the following objectives for 2010 and reaffirms its commitment to the people of Trinidad and Tobago:-

*Priority Number one: ensuring public safety

*Priority number two: bringing more criminals to justice

*Priority number three: providing the tools required to fight crime

*Priority number four: reviewing legislation to change the way we approach crime fighting.

Joseph stated: ’I am dedicated to building on the good work that has begun in 2009. Our top priority for 2010 is to do everything to drive down the murder rate and restore confidence in our law enforcement agencies by the quality of our service delivery’.

Law enforcement in this year has put focus on gang related murders. But the biggest security challenge this year was the management of two international conferences- the Fifth Summit of the Americas and the Commonwealth Heads of Government conference, both of which were deemed security successes. The Government also received a report from Canadian General Cameron Ross on reform of the security infrastructure. Some of those recommendations were implemented this year.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Joseph: I kept my promise
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »
well done martin  ::)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
there was a "decrease in the increase"  ;D

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »
well we start off hot an sweaty in d murders for 2010 ahready

one down... how many more to go  :-\
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »

If the numbers did increase by 42 allyuh woulda be grumbling.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »

ahmmm... yeah...... if it was 10- originally and increase by 42 ....'dem so' like me woulda be grumblin.  a crackhead by the name of Fisher about 100 yrs ago say if something change by less than 5%, doh waste no energy callin dat a change....and some serious pot smokers called scientists decide to follow that madman.  and yeah...I know 7.6 is more than 5  ::)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »
Ah was just reading Dutty post over on he birthday thread and started to chuckle....the next thread title I see is this one....mih chuckle turn into a full blown...... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Martin good yes.....he should change he name to Martin Lawerence.....aye good one Martin, good one..... :rotfl: :rotfl:  ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »

ahmmm... yeah...... if it was 10- originally and increase by 42 ....'dem so' like me woulda be grumblin.  a crackhead by the name of Fisher about 100 yrs ago say if something change by less than 5%, doh waste no energy callin dat a change....and some serious pot smokers called scientists decide to follow that madman.  and yeah...I know 7.6 is more than 5  ::)

one thing - with these year over year figures what amount of resources being used (hours worked, etc.)? did dey start pulling more overtime to get the clearance rate up?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »
word is bullet run out on the streets and the 2 "summit" was ah little setback for the criminals.

any improvement is an improvement at the end of the day oui.  ;)

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
yu got to be shittinmg me here. this is sumthin to be proud of? only IN TNT Boi
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »
Two summits...week before and week of = 4 weeks.
I believe had little criminal activity the week leading up to and also the week of the summits.

4 / 52 = 0.0769230769

7.69 %

Now he is right the rate was less but to say he kept his promise meant he had something to do with it which I suppose is the funny part   :D

But u almost feel frighten to give them credit for anything cuz it will drop back down as soon as they start feeling contented with themselves 

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »
It would have to be followed up with a further decrease this year of 7-10 % to confirm a trend. At his point we don't know if its just a fluctuation. A decrease is a decrease though.

Additionally we must examine the aggregate statistics for robberies, rape ,arson ,crimes committed by youth and crime committed against non nationals etc.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 08:12:49 AM »
If there was a 7-10% decrease in any major US city, it would be hailed as a great success.

If was becasue of the Summitt then Manning could boast and say; Ah tell allyuh de summits would have value to T&T lol

ANyway, lets see what happens, seems like the arrests of corrupt police also increased, as did the murder solve rate.

Baby steps.

The view of the public must improve and they must begin to mature as a nation as well as politically.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
Over 3000 people murdered in 1 decade....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
It would have to be followed up with a further decrease this year of 7-10 % to confirm a trend. At his point we don't know if its just a fluctuation. A decrease is a decrease though.

Additionally we must examine the aggregate statistics for robberies, rape ,arson ,crimes committed by youth and crime committed against non nationals etc.

The biggest challenge law enforcement faces in TnT right now is not de bandits and murderers, but apathy.  Once you lose the confidence of the community and they no longer support you then criminals could act with impunity b/c they know nobody go rat dem out.  Look somebody post de Swiss report on guns and crime in TnT in another thread and de author of that report say de same thing... public have no confidence in the crime situation changing.  Once people start accepting crime as status quo then all is lost.

This is why we must stay on the government ass and keep them accountable yes... but also acknowledge when steps are being taken in the right direction.

AirMan

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »
(Video) media report of National Security Minister promising less crime for 2010.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khqeTTZ8Bk

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:52 AM »
we already started off with 5 murders for 2010

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 02:38:11 AM »
If my memory is correct the death rate has risen steadily for ten years or more.

I will gladly take this 7.6%. FORTY TWO murders less is big improvement by TT standards.
He has done what no one else could for almost two decades.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>