April 25, 2024, 08:45:32 AM

Author Topic: Warner—Focus on women’s football paying off.  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Warner—Focus on women’s football paying off.
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:06:47 AM »
Warner—Focus on women’s football paying off.
By: Shari John (T&T Guardian).

T&T U-20 Soca Princesses camp is aloft with confidence ahead of its Concacaf Final Round Tournament and according to Fifa vice-president, Jack Warner, this can be largely attributed to the thrust that the T&T Football Federation has made in women’s football over the past two years.

“There has been a definite thrust in women’s football and its development,” said Warner, who continued: “It has been a positive thrust, but a costly one which has been overlooked far too long. It has been looked at as an oversight and in the last year or so, we have given it a new lease of life.”

The team leaves for Guatemala tomorrow ahead of the tournament which takes place from January 19-30, while it expects to play two warm-up matches against Costa Rica prior to its first match.

Warner also noted that the national senior team captain, Maylee Johnson has recently been appointed manager of the U-20 women team.

Also at the press conference, was Technical director of women’s football, Even Pellerud, who gave his assessment on the progress of the U-17 team since his appointment as coach, just over a year ago as well as that of the U-20s and U-15s.

He explained that the days of preparing a successful team with a one week camp are gone and football is about the daily struggle on the field to get everything right. He said that while this may be possible with a proper local league where players are properly trained by coaches from a young age, T&T does not have this luxury.

He said: “I am happy to say that in 2009 we saw a big change already and this is through the TTFF funding the U-17 team so that they can be on the field six days a week.”

“Is everything perfect? No, we have a lot to do with all programmes,” said Pellerud. He also stressed the need for more international matches to better prepare the U-17s for the Fifa U-17 Women’s World Cup which will be held in T&T from September 5-25.

Head coach of the Under-20 team Jamaal Shabazz explained that his team is ready intensity, fitness and aggression wise and has moved from one that was being slaughtered in the past, to one that can compete.

“Now T&T can compete at the Concacaf level, before we participated, now we compete and we have worked very hard going into this tournament.

TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner shakes hands with new National Under 20 Women's Team manager Mayee Attin-Johnson at a press conference at the Board Room of the Concacaf offices, Port-of-Spain yesterday afternoon. Looking on are director of national women's football Even Pellerud, left, Nataki Kerr, deputy CEO and marketing director for the LOC of the Fifa Women's World Cup T&T 2010 second from right and U-20 team coach Jamaal Shabazz, right. Photo: Courtesy TTFF Media.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Warner—Focus on women’s football paying off.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:28:47 AM »
Soccer team without coach.
Canwest News Service.

Canada's under-17 women's soccer team opened training camp in Toronto on Saturday without a head coach.

Ian Bridge, a 50-year-old Victoria native who's been with the women's national program for almost 15 years, cut ties after he deemed the Canadian Soccer Association's short-term contract offer unacceptable.

The camp is preparation for the CONCACAF Women's Under-17 Championship in Costa Rica, March 9-20, which serves as the qualifier for the 2010 FIFA U17 Women's World Cup in Trinidad & Tobago.

"I wanted a longer-term commitment and I didn't want to continue under these conditions," said Bridge, whose contract expired at the end of 2009 and was offered a deal through this current cycle. "I've really felt the CSA didn't want me around any more, but more importantly, I didn't see the women's youth program staying as a high-performance program any more.

"For the most part, it's been a heck of a lot of fun, but it's difficult to keep excited about a job where you see the rest of the world progressing in all areas."

Bridge, a player on Canada's 1986 World Cup team, pointed to the lack of time together as a major source of frustration. He said last year the U17s had just one nine-day camp together. And his relationship with Italian Carolina Morace, hired in February to guide Canada's senior women's side and under-20s, was not a strong one.

"There's not really been a relationship," he said. "Maybe two meaningful soccer talks over the last year."

The CSA's General Secretary Peter Montopoli issued this statement: "We would like to thank Mr. Bridge for his years of service as a coach as he has been an integral part of our women's program."

Bridge said his assistants — Brian Rosenfeld and Lewis Page — were well positioned to run the camp in Toronto.

Canada won bronze at the last CONCACAF tournament in 2008 before reaching the quarterfinal stage at the inaugural FIFA U17 Women's World Cup New Zealand 2008.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
Mr. Rosenfeld is apparantly the new coach of the team. He was the old U17 Head Coach of Canada's previous WC squad. He has only one player with WC experience who by the way is Trinnie.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:52:43 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KQtV7s5zKUI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KQtV7s5zKUI</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
When he hired Pellers. I knew he was finally serious about Women's football
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
Well, we hosting the WC, so we better have a good team.

1]; } ?>