March 28, 2024, 01:15:08 PM

Author Topic: How Kenwyne went from 'untouchable' to 'unwanted' in twelve months  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How Kenwyne went from 'untouchable' to 'unwanted' in twelve months
By Brian McNally (Mirror Football)

Wearside is awash with controversy over star striker Kenwyne Jones' future- or more pertinently, lack of it- at Sunderland.

Opinion among the Stadium of Light faithful is sharply divided over whether the sale of the much-coveted Jones should be resisted at all costs, while the counter-argument is that manager Steve Bruce should cash in on a talented, but frustratingly inconsistent performer who is is attracting widespread interest from a clutch of Premier League clubs.

Yet only twelve months ago the Trinidad and Tobago international was being hailed by Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn as one of the club's "untouchables" after committing himself to a new four-and-a-half  year deal.

Jones was hailed as the cornerstone of Sunderland's long-term rebuilding plans after Quinn rejected a £16million offer from Spurs for the former Southampton frontman.

So what has changed over the past year?

Well first and foremost Steve Bruce has replaced short-term appointee Ricky Sbragia in the the manager's office.

Sbragia was a decidedly player-friendly boss and his appointment was championed and warmly welcomed by Jones.

But Bruce is without doubt a more zealous task master, who simply won't tolerate sub-standard performances no matter whether they come from top stars or squad journeymen.

Bruce has bluntly warned his players in no uncertain terms that if they don't match his standards then they have no future at the club.

And a series of miserable away displays by the Black Cats prompted Bruce to analyse the individual contributions of all his players in forensic detail. Jones was one of the first name's to come under serious scrutiny.

The no-nonsense Geordie manager's first major act at the club last summer was to recruit a proven goal scorer in the shape of Darren Bent.

For all Jones' physical attributes and exciting power, putting the ball in the net is not his strongest suit.

Just 25 goals in 84 league and cup outings for Sunderland is not a particularly prolific return for a striker of his calibre.

And at international level his statistics are even less flattering with a meagre return of just four goals from 42 games for Trinidad and Tobago.

But Jones' early partnership with Bent flourished  and the duo were rated as one of the most fearsome and effective in the Premier League.

And in my opinion, Jones' support and link-up play helped  the £10million Bent become the best value-for-money signing in the Premier |League this term.

However, the early promise of that partnership has stalled and, while, Bent has returned an impressive 13 goals from 20 appearances, Jones has managed to score only six times in 16 league outings.

Only two of Jones goals this season have come away from the Stadium of Light, at Manchester United and Manchester City.

And in humbler environs Jones has drawn a complete blank as Sunderland have failed to replicate their impressive home form on the road.

I have sensed a frustration in Bruce as he has struggled to fire up laid-back characters such as Jones and Steed Malbranque when they play away from home.

There is no argument that on his day Jones is a real handful for defences, but too many of those days are at the Stadium of Light rather than at away venues.

And, while Bruce has never publicly said he will sell Jones, I feel that if the right offer comes in he will take the cash and use it to find a more consistent partner for the prolific Bent.

Sunderland will struggle to get the £16million they were offered by Spurs last January, but I believe that anything in excess of £12million would be too tempting for Sunderland to turn down.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: How Kenwyne went from 'untouchable' to 'unwanted' in twelve months
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »
The English appear to be sensitive and trigger happy boy. Sure I'm aware at that level results is what counts. But it seems like Bruce may be looking for a Scape Goat. For the life of me, I can't figure out what is Jones' assignment. He seems to be often trailing the plays in the box due to his defensive responsibilities. . .Somebody needs to make a decision about his jurisdiction on the pitch.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
The English appear to be sensitive and trigger happy boy. Sure I'm aware at that level results is what counts. But it seems like Bruce may be looking for a Scape Goat. For the life of me, I can't figure out what is Jones' assignment. He seems to be often trailing the plays in the box due to his defensive responsibilities. . .Somebody needs to make a decision about his jurisdiction on the pitch.

Straight talk. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:25:28 AM »

Same as most fans around the world, hero to zero, but the article is just sensationalism that you see most of the time from the press ala transfers.  I don't think Bruce is looking for a scapegoat just looking increasingly desperate / bewildered.

From the outside Bruce has appeared to struggle with Kenwyne since his arrival, he has seemed to try praise, threats etc through the media and its gone on since very early in the season,  I just don't think Bruce thinks he can / is or will get the best  out of Kenwyne. 

A lot of the target men have defensive responsibilities in the EPL, but Kenwyne doesn't get into the box as often as he should in open play, he never has done tbh, its been done to death about movement etc. 

As for the fans the majority still want him to stay, he didn't endear himself to a sizeable chunk going into the last match of the season saying if we were relegated he wanted out it was at best niave and badly timed.

As with most players he has never been as good (skill wise) as some on here made him out to be, after a couple of indifferent displays for T & T he is also not as poor as some on here made him out to be.  Personally I find him frustarting, he has never really shown the form/desire of his 1st 6 months at the club and hasn't been "unplayable" since before Liverpool season before last (including injury).  Anyway you look at it, its a long time.  For me he definately needs competition for his place as a minimum, he may need a manager like Keane to get the best out of him who knows.  I suspect he will move on in the summer, show an upturn in form but how long that will last remains to be seen.  He has everything to be a really top player, but the difference is that those players for the most part will produce those performances week in week out, I am unsure whether Kenwyne has the mentality to do that, frustrating and hard to understand. 

I would be happy for him to stay, but still want to see more from him.  Its an easy cop out for people on here to blame the "shit side" he is playing in but if you look at it honestly Bent who should be/is less able to cope with the "shit side" is doing OK and looks a much better player, he shouldn't do, so why is it?

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 06:21:38 AM »
First of all, a Happy and Blessed New Year to all contributors and moderators alike. 

Now, I am a bit fed up with all this talk about KJ is a frustrating player to watch because of his potential talent!  Darren Bent knows he benefits greatly with a target man like kJ with all de long balls that they play and he (Bent) does not defend corners and set pieces on a regular basis!!!  This 'on his day he will cause defense horros' only comes when he is getting decent crosses in the box or good service such as a simple thru ball.

Bearing in mind that he lapse in concerntration at times, he plays a decent game throughout and should not be made a scapegoat for this mediocre side at best!!! Having his name being dragged in the newspapers, radio and tv does not help his confidence one bit!  At least you (Sunderland) didn't pay 20 mil for a striker and find yourself on de bench (ask Liverpool) and 30 mil to only start once every 4 or 5 games (ask that Man U forward).

KJ still has time to develop and maybe instead of creating all of this speculation of trading after only 6 months at the helm, SB should concerntrate in getting the best out of his player because that is his job!

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 07:30:48 AM »
First of all, a Happy and Blessed New Year to all contributors and moderators alike. 

Now, I am a bit fed up with all this talk about KJ is a frustrating player to watch because of his potential talent!  Darren Bent knows he benefits greatly with a target man like kJ with all de long balls that they play and he (Bent) does not defend corners and set pieces on a regular basis!!!  This 'on his day he will cause defense horros' only comes when he is getting decent crosses in the box or good service such as a simple thru ball.

Bearing in mind that he lapse in concerntration at times, he plays a decent game throughout and should not be made a scapegoat for this mediocre side at best!!! Having his name being dragged in the newspapers, radio and tv does not help his confidence one bit!  At least you (Sunderland) didn't pay 20 mil for a striker and find yourself on de bench (ask Liverpool) and 30 mil to only start once every 4 or 5 games (ask that Man U forward).

KJ still has time to develop and maybe instead of creating all of this speculation of trading after only 6 months at the helm, SB should concerntrate in getting the best out of his player because that is his job!

Thats the point though, he is very rarely in the box to recieve crosses except from set pieces and when the ball is played upto him he is invariably next to a defender with his back to goal, he reguarly gets caught "on his heels" when other type of balls are played through.  His presence does make space for Bent because, I first seen this comment after the Man City game, but if you watched that game there was acres of space before he came on aswell, I don't think I have seen both sides defend so badly in a match before in the EPL.

I do believe Bruce has given up on trying to get the best out of him, because I don't think he thinks he can and you are right that isn't all Kenwyne's fault by any stretch.

No one is making Kenwyne a scapegoat there are a few ahead of him in that department particularly defenders, I know he has been injured but I am still waiting to see the enthusiam, drive and determination we seen from him in his 1st 6 months since he returned, where's it gone and why?

Its true Bent doesn't defend set pieces like Kenwyne, but he does come back but at the same time Kenwyne doesn't run the channels like Bent or defend from the front in the same way either. 

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:15:28 AM »
Lots of talk on Merseyside about a Babel - Jones swap, either a loan deal or full transfer. The radio station said it's "almost a done deal..."  :beermug:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:59:25 AM »
Lots of talk on Merseyside about a Babel - Jones swap, either a loan deal or full transfer. The radio station said it's "almost a done deal..."  :beermug:

damn, if that was to happen, i would have to follow liverpool... :puking:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:10:26 AM »
nice
at least he moving UP the table :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
Villa being mentioned again today, I think O'Neill would be a good match for Kenwyne.

Liverpool haven't got a pot to piss in and if they don't qualify for CL it will be even less in the summer and will have to lose Torres or Gerrard or even both to balance the books, without them they look very ordinary.

Babel looks a lot like the Bent scenario to me, low on confidence, not played much in various positions and isn't worth the valuation Sunderland have put on Kenwyne.  Maybe todays defeat will speed up Kenwyne's move to free up money for other much needed players, who knows, but I would say thats the only reason he will be sold this transfer window.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »
Villa will be a good move for KJ (pls not Liverpool) but SB needs to stop with this "teams can't afford KJ talk" otherwise you will have KJ longer than he wished for...Never like this man as a manager!!
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
KJ is KJ's biggest problem,as usual we making all kind of excuse and blaming managers and players for not giving him the right balls etc etc bottom line is KJ has to start doing what he is paid to do and that is score goals.This thing about forwards holding up ball i really don't know what that it's all about,T&T has the most forwards good at holding up balls that's why we can't score goals,they good at making other forwards look good,is there somebody that will make our forwards look good?don't wait for that,if T&T accepts that,those clubs out there will not, it's all about business and they want their money's worth.
Sometimes we look at this game the wrong way,is not what the manager can do for/teach KJ,it's what can KJ do for this team,how valueable/important he is to the team.When you playing at that level of Soccer what can a manager really teach you,if you don't know/understand your role in the team you have a major problem.No good forward should be restricted to certain types of balls to score goals,those guys even score fluke goals but the thing is they scoring.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:12 AM »
kj will never be a dwight yorke or russell latapy he ent that good plain and simple..... 

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
Niall Quinn was on Goals on Sunday today on Sky, there is no footage of it on the Sky site but this article is taken from it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11695_5866998,00.html

Quinn - Jones is vital to us
Black Cats chairman also confirms interest in Kuranyi

Niall Quinn says Sunderland are not looking to sell Kenwyne Jones and confirmed the club did make an approach for Schalke striker Kevin Kuranyi.

Jones has been linked with a January move away from the Stadium of Light, with the likes of Liverpool and Stoke City rumoured to be interested in the Trinidad & Tobago striker.

However, Black Cats chairman Quinn believes Jones is vital to the club and is not keen to see the former Southampton striker leave during the transfer window.

Quinn told Goals on Sunday: "Kenwyne Jones knows exactly what I think of him. I love him as a footballer. He's got the complete package.

"If things work out for him in the second half of the season, he's vital to us. Behind the scenes agents may be setting up things with football clubs, but it happens today.

"We don't want to get rid of anybody at the football club."
Offer accepted

Sunderland also tried to sign Kuranyi from Schalke only for the Germany forward to decide to stay with the Bundesliga club until the end of the season.

"If there's someone we can sign to help [we will]," added Quinn. "Look, it's been well-publicised. I think Steve [Bruce] has mentioned it.

"We did look at Kuranyi and spoke to his club Schalke. The idea for us was that it would make it even better at our club.

"We could have Jones, Kuranyi and Darren [Bent] who is phenomenal."

Schalke coach Felix Magath has confirmed that the club accepted an offer for Kuranyi, who has also been linked with Birmingham City, only for the 27-year-old to reject the move.

Magath said: "I had already reached an agreement with a club who wanted to buy him, but Kevin said that he did not want to leave.

"Selling him was only an issue because of financial reasons.

"On the sporting side, I am not unhappy that he is staying because we can still do with him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He doesn't say he won't be sold and you could read it that he is likely to be gone in the summer if you want to.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
http://www.ctntworld.com/SportArticles.aspx?id=17820
Liverpool promises Kenwyne Jones swap
Saturday 16th January, 2010

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez plans to land Trinidad and Tobago striker Kenwyne Jones in a stunning swap with Ryan Babel.

A report in Saturday's Sun newspaper says the Liverpool chief hopes to agree to a deal with Sunderland as he desperately needs cover for crocked Spanish striker Fernando Torres.

A deal that will see out-of-favour Dutchman Babel head for the stadium of light.

But Benitez faces a fight with Aston Villa for unsettled Trinidad and Tobago Ace Jones, 25.

The boss has been chasing a back-up striker to Torres for months with the Spaniard plagued by injury this season.

That hunt became an urgent priority on Wednesday when Torres damaged a cartilage in the shock FA cup defeat to reading.

He needs surgery and will be out for six weeks.

Babel, 23, has been an 11 point 5 million pound Mersey flop since moving from Ajax two and a half years ago, starting just 24 league games.

Benitez will need some hard bargaining for Jones after Sunderland boss Steve Bruce claimed he was worth 40million pounds on his day.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »
Pull the trigger Benitez

1]; } ?>