March 28, 2024, 08:58:47 AM

Author Topic: Thomson keen to stick with new-look Gulls  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thomson keen to stick with new-look Gulls
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:13:40 AM »
Thomson keen to stick with new-look Gulls
South Devon Herald Express

ON-LOAN WINGER Jake Thomson is hoping that Torquay United and Southampton can work out a deal so that he can stay at Plainmoor until the end of the season.

Thomson's second month with the Gulls runs out after next Tuesday's rearranged League Two game at Barnet, writes David Thomas.

The talented 20-year-old said: "I'm working on the assumption that my last game will be against Barnet, but I'm hoping it won't be.

"I would be happy to stay.

"I'm enjoying playing here a lot.

"It's been difficult for everyone, with the pitches not being right recently and uncertainty about games being on or not.

"But the boss has encouraged me to play my natural game, taking people on, and that's what I've been looking for.

"The team has been playing well, and I feel that I haven't played much better in my career so far.

"If I was still at Southampton, I'd probably be on the bench and playing in the reserves.

"So if I'm going to play in the first team here, I would prefer to stay.

"It's just down to what happens with Southampton."

United manager Paul Buckle and Saints boss Alan Pardew are believed to have agreed in principle for Thomson to extend his loan.

But at this stage of the season that has to be for at least another three months.

Before United go to Barnet next week, they take on former Blue Square Premier rivals, and last season's champions, Burton Albion at Plainmoor this Saturday.

Having snapped up 19-year-old midfielders Eunan O'Kane from Coleraine and Sam Cox on loan from Spurs over the past week, Buckle is trying hard to make further signings.

He's currently away on another scouting trip.

Meanwhile, last night's Westinsure Devon St. Luke's Cup tie at Plymouth Parkway was postponed because the Bolitho Park pitch was waterlogged.

No new date for the game has been arranged yet.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gulls boss hoping for Thomson stay
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 02:53:23 PM »
Gulls boss hoping for Thomson stay
sportinglife.com

Torquay United boss Paul Buckle is hoping to extend the loan deal of Southampton winger Jake Thomson until the end of the season.

Thomson completed a successful three-month loan stint at Plainmoor following Tuesday's 1-1 draw at Barnet and Buckle is now hoping the deal will be extended until the end of the campaign.

He said: "I have spoken to Jake and he wants to stay, now he is back speaking to Southampton boss Alan Pardew.

"I have spoken to Alan, so now it's a case of just waiting on the outcome."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Buckle expects to have Jake back
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:56:02 AM »
Buckle expects to have Jake back
South Devon Herald Express

MANAGER Paul Buckle is confident of finalising a deal to bring Southampton winger Jake Thomson back for another Torquay United loan spell before tomorrow's League Two visit of Bradford City (3pm).

Thomson returned to St Mary's after Tuesday night's 1-1 draw at Barnet, but the two clubs have agreed a deal that will see the 20-year-old return to Plainmoor for the rest of the season.

With transfer deadline day looming fast, Buckle also took the opportunity to cast his eye over a couple of new faces during yesterday's training session.

Exeter City striker Craig McAllister and Swansea City midfielder Kristian O'Leary both took part at Newton Abbot Racecourse, and are expected back for more training today.

"I've spoken to (Saints boss) Alan Pardew regarding Jake," reported Buckle. "They want Jake to stay here, which is great.

"Alan's given that his blessing, Jake wants to stay so hopefully by the close of play we'll have that one sealed.

"We've got Craig McAllister with us to have a look at him, and for him to have a look at us — Exeter have been very fair with that. Kris O'Leary is here training as well.

"We need to add, that's for sure, but I've found that very difficult.

"It's been phone call after phone call and, just when you think you've got one or two, they slip through the net.

"It's normally because of where we are in the country, so it's nothing against our football club, but more the fact of people moving.

"It's been very difficult, but if we have to go into battle with what we've got, that's what we'll do."

Chris Hargreaves' move to Oxford United is expected to be completed today, so Tyrone Thompson looks likely to keep his place in central midfield with captain Nicky Wroe.

Buckle should also have further wide options, with news that Wayne Carlisle could return to training today.

"I think I'm going to get Wayne Carlisle back, so that's a big plus," said the manager. "Danny Stevens has done great when he's come on. Eunan O'Kane has only played a bit-part at the moment, but he's a fantastic prospect.

"So all the squad is very content and very happy, and it's a positive place to be."

Last week Burton Albion came to Plainmoor on a lean run.

They beat United 3-2 and followed up with a 1-0 midweek home victory over Lincoln, which did the Gulls no harm.

And, if anything, Bradford are even more desperate for a result.

The biggest club in the division — the Bantams expected to be among the promotion contenders — have taken only one point out of the last 15 and have now slipped into the bottom half of the table.

They've won only three times in 13 games at Valley Parade, including a 2-0 verdict over the Gulls there in August.

Manager Stuart McCall is under predictable pressure.

Ironically, at a time when United are leaning towards younger players, McCall has one of the most experienced squads in League Two.

It includes former Gulls midfielder Chris Brandon, now 33. Veteran striker Peter Thorne, 36, could return after injury, but top-scorer James Hanson is ruled out with a back injury.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thomson's loan extended
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »
Thomson's loan extended
saintsfc.co.uk

Midfielder Jake Thomson will remain with Torquay United until the end of the current season.

The 20 year-old has already spent just over two months at Plainmoor this campaign on a temporary basis featuring regularly for the League Two side, scoring once.

He, and fellow Saints loanee, goalkeeper Michael Poke will both stay with the Gulls until the end of this season.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson keen to stick with new-look Gulls
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:35:10 PM »
I don't think Southhampton will sell Jake as yet. He is young and is TT international player. He may help them in the future.

1]; } ?>