July 27, 2024, 03:42:50 AM

Author Topic: Richard looks to target consistency in 2010  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Richard looks to target consistency in 2010
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:00:33 AM »
'Torpedo' Thompson targets consistency
Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com

Richard ’Torpedo’ Thompson plans to be at his fastest in 2010.

The Trinidad and Tobago sprinter told the Express yesterday he wants to improve on the 9.89 seconds personal best he produced in finishing second in the men’s 100 metres final at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Thompson is also hoping to dive under 20 seconds in the 200m.

’I would like to run faster than 9.89. I also want to be very consistent throughout the year. I don’t want to run 10.0, 10.0 and just one race 9.8-something or 9.7-something. It would be nice to get down to 9.7-something. It’s no easy task, but [Usain] Bolt ran 9.58, so if I can’t go better than 9.8-something...I have no other choice but to shoot for those kinds of times.

’After 2008, I had a sub-20 goal in the 200, but a lack of physical strength prevented it. Running under 20 seconds would be a good indicator of my readiness to run very fast [in the 100].’

Thompson’s personal best in the 200m is 20.18 seconds, a clocking he produced in late May, 2008-11 weeks before his 9.89 silver run in the Olympic century final. He followed up on his individual success in Beijing with a superb anchor leg run that helped T&T secure silver in the 4x100m.

Thompson suffered a major setback in his preparations for the 2009 season. On January 1, last year, he was hospitalised following a vehicular accident here in Trinidad. And though he competed between March and August, for more than half of that six-month period the Louisiana-based sprinter was feeling the effects of the New Year’s Day smash-up.

’A lot of people don’t know, but up until June last year I had severe pains in my neck and back. I could not do a lot of exercises in the weight room...I could not lift heavy weights. All my base work was lost in the accident. In June/July, we brought up [massage therapist] Zephyrinus Nicholas for a full week to get my fitness back up before World Champs. I have a lot of confidence in him...he made a huge difference.’

Against the odds, Thompson clocked 9.93 seconds to finish fifth in the World Championship 100m final. He then anchored T&T to silver in the sprint relay in a national record time of 37.62 seconds.

Thompson is satisfied that his 100m performance at the 2009 World Championships, in Berlin, Germany showed clearly that finishing runner-up to Bolt in Beijing the previous year was no fluke.

’Going into Worlds, I was counted out a lot. A lot of people didn’t expect me to make the final, but I made the final, ran under 10 seconds and was beaten by the three greatest sprinters of all time [Bolt, Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell] and Daniel Bailey. That definitely shows a lot of mental strength. Before Berlin, Bailey got the better of me in Europe, significantly, every time, but in the Worlds final, we both ran 9.93. That showed a lot.

’As far as proving myself in 2010,’ Thompson continued, ’you always have something to prove, unless you’re the top man. Even Asafa and Tyson have something to prove. I want to be competitive with the top three names...have them feel my presence. I am the Olympic silver medallist, which shows my ability to step up when I have to. But in Europe, there are still some people who don’t know Richard Thompson.’

The double Olympic silver medallist said that though he beat Powell in the Olympic final, the Jamaican sprinter’s consistency is to be admired.

’As much as the Olympic final was the biggest race, it’s still just one race. People are more drawn to consistency. Asafa’s well known on the circuit and respected by so many fans. He has my respect as well.’

Judging by the article I strongly believe we will be seeing him better his 9.89s this year. Go Richard make us proud.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:31:31 AM by Flex »

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Richard looks to target consistency in 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:00:32 AM »
We have a good core of sprinters now. I hope that they all could improve and keep challenging for medals.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:01:26 AM »
Good luck Richard. Go Torpedo!!!!!!

AirMan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »
C'mon Richard..bring home the Commonweatlh Gold

especially since Usain will not be running

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:52:39 AM »
He may not run at Commonwealth due to its timing as well.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161584130

More 200s for Thompson
Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com

Tuesday, January 19th 2010

Trinidad and Tobago track star Richard Thompson ran the 100 metres dash 15 times last year, but only competed twice in the 200m. In 2010, expect a significant increase in half-lap outings for the double Olympic silver medallist.

Thompson began off-season training in early November and is satisfied with his progress so far. The sprinter’s preparations for the 2009 season were disrupted by a vehicular accident on New Year’s Day last year, which left him with neck and back pains for six months.

’Thank God training is good so far,’ Thompson told the Express. ’No injuries and accidents. Thank God for keeping me healthy. We’re trying to take it slow, to rebuild.’

The Louisiana-based athlete said that with no major global meets on the calendar, the 2010 season is tailor-made for ’doing things differently’.

’You may see some 400 runners doing 100s, and 100 runners doing 200s and 400s.’

In a bid to increase his strength, Thompson will be focusing a lot more on the 200m event.

The 24-year-old sprinter said a combination of strength and natural talent separates Usain Bolt, Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell from the rest of the world’s sprint elite.

At the 2009 World Championships, in Berlin, Germany, Bolt (9.58), Gay (9.71) and Powell (9.84) earned gold, silver and bronze, respectively, in the men’s 100m final. Thompson was fifth in 9.93 seconds.

’In my race breakdown, between 40 [metres] and 60 [metres] I’m right there, and then there’s a big separation because of lack of strength. I’ll probably be increasing my overdistance work in training and in competition...200s and maybe 4x4s.’
You could add some intense much needed weight room work to that equation. Especially for the core.

Competing over the 400-metre distance is a distant memory for the Queen’s Royal College old boy.

’Maybe as an under-17 athlete I ran fifty-something...I can’t remember. [The late] Laurence [McDowall] had us doing 400s, 300 hurdles, long jump, triple jump...I probably did everything but the pole vault.’

Thompson is not planning to don his spikes at the March 12-14 World Indoor Championships, in Doha, Qatar. However, he is likely to run the 60m dash at a couple indoor meets in Louisiana.

’One or two small meets to see where fitness levels are at.’

Thompson should see some outdoor relay action in late March/early April, and is expected to open his individual outdoor campaign at the April 16 and 17 LSU (Louisiana State University) Alumni Gold meet.

’More than likely a 200.’

Thompson will square off against the likes of Bolt, Gay and Powell on the Diamond League circuit. There is a question mark, however, over his participation at the October 3-14 Commonwealth Games, in Delhi, India. The Nike-sponsored athlete has never before competed beyond September 2.

’Commonwealth Games is just one step from a Worlds or Olympics, but the problem is the timing of the meet. It messes up your following year [2011], which is a World Championship year. You can’t start back training until December or January, so you’re losing base work. The timing is bad. I would have to decide later in the year [if to compete].

’As it is right now,’ Thompson ended, ’nothing is set in concrete.’
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>