March 28, 2024, 03:38:01 AM

Author Topic: T&T newsman stranded in DR Passport lost on bus trip.  (Read 2143 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
T&T newsman stranded in DR Passport lost on bus trip.
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:05:47 AM »
From the Trinidad & Tobago Express.

T&T newsman stranded in DR
Passport lost on bus trip
Kristy Ramnarine kramnarie@trinidadexpress.com

Saturday, January 23rd 2010

hellish experience: Dale Enoch

TRINIDADIAN journalist Dale Enoch is now stranded in the Dominican Republic after his passport went missing.

The I95.5 FM Head of News and Current Affairs and his colleague, Head of Production Jerome Lewis, have been covering the aftermath of the catastrophic 7.0 earthquake which hit Haiti on January 12.

Enoch and Lewis left Trinidad and Tobago on Sunday to head to Haiti. The men boarded a Caribbean Airlines flight to St Maarten where they managed to get on a flight to the Dominican Republic, which borders Haiti.

In the Dominican Republic’s capital, Santo Domingo, the men boarded a bus operated by Caribbean Tours in order to enter Haiti.

’Once you take the bus you have to hand in your passport at the border,’ said Enoch in a telephone interview yesterday.

’We entered Haiti on Tuesday and we got back in the Dominican Republic yesterday (Thursday). I did not get back my passport when we returned. The bus company has refused to take responsibility for the situation. They are saying that they didn’t see the passport. That is ridiculous because I handed in the passport when I bought the ticket to Haiti.’

He added, ’It appears that there is a passport racket going on. Once your passport has a US visa in it, it is attractive.’

Enoch is now advising people going to Haiti to be careful before being trapped in a position like him.

’I was supposed to leave Santo Domingo on Thursday but I was unable to because I don’t have my travel documents. I lost all my bookings. Being trapped in a country is like being trapped in hell,’ he said.

Enoch has been in contact with the Minister of Foreign Affairs Paula Gopee-Scoon, who is assisting in getting him temporary travel documents.

He has also been in contact with the Consulate in Santo Domingo, who is waiting on the Jamaican High Commission, which is the closest to the Dominican Republic, to issue the temporary travel documents.

Enoch is hoping that before the end of the week he will receive the travel documents and be able to return home. Lewis has decided to remain with Enoch until the matter is sorted out.

The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: T&T newsman stranded in DR Passport lost on bus trip.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 05:19:54 AM »
WTF??!!  Yesterday I heard a newsreport that people's passports were going missing.  I guess this story may have been what triggered the report. 

Lord fadder!!...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:54:43 AM »
Well Georgia Popplewell is on her way to Haiti via Dominican Republic.....So we all made sure she's aware of the scheme of giving up your passport to anyone.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:39:43 AM »
If  I have 2 give up my passprt I eh enterin d country I sorry put meh on d 1st plane back 2 TNT.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 08:50:33 AM »
’ ... Being trapped in a country is like being trapped in hell,’

I always wondered if there was anything comparable to being trapped in hell.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »
’ ... Being trapped in a country is like being trapped in hell,’

I always wondered if there was anything comparable to being trapped in hell.

I always thought it would be like the Bronx
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »
Been in the position of having to surrender a passport ... it's the risk one takes. Have also had border guards want to keep my passport as a souvenir.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »
Word to the wise:

ALWAYS make photocopies of your passport (keep a scanned one in your laptop) when travelling to countries with unrest. In fact always have copies.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »
Word to the wise:

ALWAYS make photocopies of your passport (keep a scanned one in your laptop) when travelling to countries with unrest. In fact always have copies.

Makes nuff sense, yet photocopying passports is frowned upon/considered illegal by many issuing governments.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 06:43:38 PM »
Word to the wise:

Makes nuff sense, yet photocopying passports is frowned upon/considered illegal by many issuing governments.

Really??!!   :o :o
Cuz I does give everybody a copy of my passport when I leaving the country to places afar off....hhhhhmmmmmm
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »
Canada allows you to copy the ID page

"6.Make two photocopies of the identification page of your passport.
◦Leave one copy with a friend or relative at home.
◦Bring the second copy with you on your trip. Carry this photocopy separately from the passport when you travel. This can help identifiying you if the passport is lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible."
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/index.aspx?lang=eng

austrailia also encourages you to make a copy
"Make two photocopies of valuable documents such as your passport, tickets, visas and travellers' cheques. Keep one copy with you in a separate place to the original and leave another copy with someone at home."
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Trinidad_and_Tobago
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:11:28 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »
Word to the wise:

Now asylum I ain't talking black and white copy eh....I talking colored copy. And enough government agencies and embassies have copies of my passport. After I explain to them that it's my legal right to refuse me parting with my passport, plus showing them the original, let them signed that they saw the original, they will allow it.

My driver license is photocopied also.

1]; } ?>