May 27, 2024, 07:01:09 PM

Author Topic: Semoy Hackett...a star at Lincoln University!!!  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Semoy Hackett...a star at Lincoln University!!!
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »
http://www.komu.com/satellite/SatelliteRender/KOMU.com/ba8a4513-c0a8-2f11-0063-9bd94c70b769/63111820-80ce-0971-01b8-20d9f15c308f

Division II Olympian     

JEFFERSON CITY- You probably know about Christian Cantwell's silver medal shot-putt performance in the 2008 Olympics. But he's not the only former Beijing Olympian currently living in mid-Missouri.

Semoy Hackett came from the Lincoln Track Team from more than 2,600 miles away. She's from Trinidad and Tobago and as a Division II athlete, she's in a league of her own. Hackett wears a national championship ring on her finger, a smile on her face and some of the fastest shoes in college track.

Says Hackett, "Some Division I school recruited me and then he referred me to Coach Thomas and then as soon as the Olympics over I came straight to school."

That's right, she's a former Trinidad Olympian who now runs sprints for the Lincoln Track Team.

Teammate Tia Rolle says, "She has a lot of strength. She drives hard. She uses everything that she has."

Hackett's already a four-time Division II Champion and that was just her freshman year. She ran in the Olympics as a 19 year old.

Hackett said, "We saw it as an opportunity to just improve and develop ourself for future Olympics to come."

Lincoln Coach Victor Thomas says, "She's humble because coming here I'm looking at the kids practicing you would not know that she has been to the Olympics and the World Championship."

This month, Hackett showed up on the Bowerman Award watch list. The award goes to the best collegiate female track athlete in the country. She's the only Division II athlete on the list.

Says Semoy, "I saw the pictures of all the top Division I athletes there and I was proud to be one of the only Division II athletes there. So I feel very proud."

Coach Thomas says, "I'm kind of glad for the publicity because a guy wrote an article last year that said, 'Lincoln University's Track Team is the world's best kept secret.'"

But now that the secret of Semoy is out, bigger colleges want her to run their way.

Thomas says, "There are a lot of D1 schools out there trying to get her and they have better facilities and better stuff. They sent a paper asking permission to talk to her. I think that's a slap in the face."

Semoy says she's happy at Lincoln but is keeping her options open for the future.

Says Semoy, "Sometimes opportunity comes and you better take the best opportunity you get. Right now I'm running good here, but I'm not sure about the future."

Thomas says, "Why don't you go out there and recruit your own athletes? Why are you waiting until a small Division II school has a good athlete and you are trying to take her away."

While coach hopes the sun doesn't set on her time at Lincoln, he thinks she could run away with the Bowerman.

Says Thomas, "It's like the football Heisman Trophy, right? So, hey you never know. If she has a good season, let's see."

There are 3 Olympians on the Lincoln Track Team. Semoy says she plans on competing in the 2012 Olympics in London, but first is focused on the 2011 World Championships.

The Lincoln Women's Track Team has 3 indoor and six outdoor Division II NCAA Championships since 2003. The 5 straight outdoor titles form 2003-07 are a Division II record.

Reported by: Eric Blumberg
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Semoy Hackett...a star at Lincoln University!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 03:54:04 PM »
What is her current PB at 100m and 200m ?

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Semoy Hackett...a star at Lincoln University!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
She made so much improvement over that one year! That is real good! I wanna see what she is guna do this year looking for a 11.10 in 100. lol and a 22.80 in the the 2.

1]; } ?>