March 28, 2024, 05:16:43 AM

Author Topic: T&T Coast Guard new vessels  (Read 56458 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Coast Guard new vessels
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2010, 06:55:58 AM »
I figured there would be some fallout.

This fallout could go both ways...either they intending on wielding some big stick to get the deal done or they need the business and lobbyin to get dey balls squeeze-- (c) dinho

On the other hand the fact that we PM have to go to them,probably does not bode well.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »

Well, it's a huge contract.  150 million pounds sterling is a lot of money and the British government has a good relationship with TnT her former colony.  Seems like they're trying to go the diplomatic route and negotiate on behalf of a citizen corporation.  Is almost like a parent mediating between two children.  Other than that the British government has no real stake in the matter... save for maybe the corporate taxes that BAE would pay on the deal.  Too bad this government didn't try the same diplomatic/mediation route first. 

I still don't see how they could win the suit that sure to follow.  I really don't.  Another thing, someone mentioned it in the comments section and it struck a note.  Why she have Anand with she 'negotiating'?  He's Attorney General yes, and maybe in Trinidad things function differently but an Attorney General is largely a prosecutorial role... he's not government counsel, which is how Kamla seems to be using him.  Not to single them out, I dunno if Jeremie and previous Attorneys General functioned in the same capacity.  Generally speaking an Attorney General is not a jack-of-all trades... they need to be seeking external guidance (and maybe they are) on these matters.  Kamla she self is a former AG, she cyah negotiate without Anand by she side?

Side note... she flying out again, lol.  Kamla like she trying tuh break Travis Travel record.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »

Well, it's a huge contract.  150 million pounds sterling is a lot of money and the British government has a good relationship with TnT her former colony.  Seems like they're trying to go the diplomatic route and negotiate on behalf of a citizen corporation.  Is almost like a parent mediating between two children.  Other than that the British government has no real stake in the matter... save for maybe the corporate taxes that BAE would pay on the deal.  Too bad this government didn't try the same diplomatic/mediation route first. 

I still don't see how they could win the suit that sure to follow.  I really don't.  Another thing, someone mentioned it in the comments section and it struck a note.  Why she have Anand with she 'negotiating'?  He's Attorney General yes, and maybe in Trinidad things function differently but an Attorney General is largely a prosecutorial role... he's not government counsel, which is how Kamla seems to be using him.  Not to single them out, I dunno if Jeremie and previous Attorneys General functioned in the same capacity.  Generally speaking an Attorney General is not a jack-of-all trades... they need to be seeking external guidance (and maybe they are) on these matters.  Kamla she self is a former AG, she cyah negotiate without Anand by she side?

Side note... she flying out again, lol.  Kamla like she trying tuh break Travis Travel record.
I really don't have a problem with the AG going along. She must have confidence in him for good reason.

The major reason for trip is for a Commonwealth meeting. The PM of T&T is currently the chairman so she had to go. She has to keep everybody happy so someone else is getting a turn at the wheel.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:32:37 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2010, 10:21:22 AM »
I really don't have a problem with the AG going along. She must have conidence in him for good reason.

The major reason for trip is for a Commonwealth meeting. The PM of T&T is currently the chairman so she had to go. She has to keep everybody happy so someone else is getting a turn at the wheel.

I ent have a problem with him going... she must have company.  My question is more one of whether he's qualified to lead negotiations on contractual issues.  Just because yuh have the title of lawyer doesn't make you a jack of all trades within the profession, any more than having MD means you're competent to practice in every area.  Any lawyer worth their salt can become up to speed on the relevant area of the law, but on such an important matter I would have preferred if she had taken along someone with more expertise in the field.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
I really don't have a problem with the AG going along. She must have conidence in him for good reason.

I ent have a problem with him going... she must have company.  My question is more one of whether he's qualified to lead negotiations on contractual issues.  Just because yuh have the title of lawyer doesn't make you a jack of all trades within the profession, any more than having MD means you're competent to practice in every area.  Any lawyer worth their salt can become up to speed on the relevant area of the law, but on such an important matter I would have preferred if she had taken along someone with more expertise in the field.

Is the Min of National Security or the Junior Min or the man who really running the show, Capt. Gary Griffith going??
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2010, 02:19:38 PM »

Is the Min of National Security or the Junior Min or the man who really running the show, Capt. Gary Griffith going??

How he still around....I know he was around UNC because he was getting to touch panday daughter behind de potted palm

but who he feelin up now?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »
In the land of the blind, the one eye man is king.. ;)

truetrini

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »
what mkaes Griffith a captain?

He is NOT a captain...which is really just a lietenant in the CG!

He did not retire so he should NOT be referred to as captain....unless is captain crunch

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »
what mkaes Griffith a captain?

He is NOT a captain...which is really just a lietenant in the CG!

He did not retire so he should NOT be referred to as captain....unless is captain crunch

Boy ah deliberately put een the Capt. cuz apparently it mean a lot to the poor fella to have a title to he name.  He doh like jackass, dotish, stupid, arrogant, know-it-all-while-knowing-nutten and besides with this bunch, all those were already taken.... ::)
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

truetrini

« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
He is an extremely intelligent fella eh, and great at managing projects...that are within his scope and area of expertise.

He seeks to educate himself, but he comes off as a big haughty at times.   I happen to be friendly with him and have little problems with him, except that he is not doing the country service if he is indeed the one behind the scrapping of these vessels.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2010, 11:44:11 PM »
Sandy: International criminals preying on 'borderless' Caribbean
By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com

Story Updated: Oct 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM ECT

INTERNATIONAL criminals prey on the Caribbean region because the more developed countries are strengthening their borders, National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy said yesterday.

Sandy's statement comes on the heels of Government's decision to terminate the £150 million contract with BAE Systems to build and commission three Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) for use by this country's Coast Guard.

In 2007 the former PNM government signed a £150 million contract with VT Shipbuilding to build and commission the vessels. In October last year, BAE acquired full control of VT.

The Express understands that the British Government intends to intervene in the negotiations in an effort to facilitate and/or convince this Government to at least accept one of the vessels, which has an estimated cost of $800 million.

"In reality crime has become globalised. In the Caribbean Basin for example the challenge of avoiding the scourge of the illicit narcotic trade the attendant laundering of funds as well as other international criminal activities has been amplified alongside globalisation," Sandy said.

"These international crimes thrive on the concept of a borderless world. While the more developed countries strengthen their defence against the invasion of such criminal activities, perpetrators are diverting their attention to the Caribbean region," he said.

"This region's size, its archipelagic design and strategic geographic location has increased its vulnerability as a transshipment point between the producing countries of South America and the consuming countries of North America and Europe."

Sandy said one reported example of this was when a yacht containing 1.5 tonnes of cocaine worth close to $1 billion left Chaguaramas and was intercepted by Spanish law enforcement officials off the coast of Cadiz, Portugal last month.

"The illicit trafficking of drugs and its accompanying firearms trade are among the most visible form of serious crime in Trinidad and Tobago," Sandy said.

Sandy said the National Security Ministry is pursuing "both supply and demand reduction initiative including border control initiatives."

Sandy said the Government will also be working on strategies to reduce the nation's vulnerability to Cyber Crime.

A National Cyber Security Strategy is in the process of being developed and an Inter Ministerial Committee has been approved by Cabinet to oversee the initiative, he said.
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Sandy__International_criminals_preying_on__borderless__Caribbean-104548679.html

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2010, 07:17:35 AM »
these people not making no sense nah
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »
Sandy: International criminals preying on 'borderless' Caribbean
By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com

"The illicit trafficking of drugs and its accompanying firearms trade are among the most visible form of serious crime in Trinidad and Tobago," Sandy said.

This right here... like much of what Sandy said resonates with me.  This is why I couldn't make sense of the comment in another discussion that the smuggling of drugs was somehow the problem of Europe and North America... that Trinidad didn't need no offshore patrol boats.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »
of the few major cocaine or drug busts we had here, anyone (by that i mean rich man) ever get charged?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

AirMan

« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »
PM open to dialogue on OPVs

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9gmuE58WbY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/V9gmuE58WbY</a>

truetrini

« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »
We only really need one OPV, and about 15 more interceptor craft truth be told.

Lets get it then Kamla

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »
these people not making no sense nah

U song surprise?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2010, 12:29:41 AM »
It’s official: OPVs cancelled
Govt to get back $61m in damages
Gail Alexander
Published: 16 Oct 2010

Government stands to receive $61 million in damages as well as a “significant refund of money” on the Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) which have been cancelled, National Security Minister John Sandy said yesterday. Speaking in the House of Representatives Sandy officially confirmed that a September 16 Cabinet decision agreed that the Ministers of Finance and National Security and Attorney General terminated all contractual arrangements regarding procurement of the three OPVs. His confirmation came in response to questions on the status of the OPVs by PNM MP Colm Imbert. Sandy said Government had determined, based on shipbuilder BAE Systems’ “serious and persistent delays and technical deficiencies,” that Government’s best interests were not being served and therefore it should exercise its contractual rights of cancellation. Notice of cancellation was served on September 17 with a 30 days notice period ahead of cancellation.

The contract value for the OPV project was $2.1 billion. The three vessels were to have been delivered between March 2009 to August 2010. Sandy said in cancelling the contract, Government was exercising contractual rights expressly negotiated and agreed with BAE. “These rights were designed to protect Government in circumstances where the Government is left with no other remedy,” Sandy added. He said Government was not “saddled with a $3 billion debt” as reported in some quarters. Sandy said: “If Government were cancelling the contract for its own convenience then it would owe money to BAE but this is not the case. Government is cancelling by reason of BAE’s fault. “Because of the delays, damages of over $61 million are already now overdue and payable by BAE to Government. “Additionally when the cancellation notice takes effect, the Government will become entitled, among other things, to a significant refund of moneys paid to BAE for the undelivered vessels,”.

Sandy said the decision to terminate the programme was “a difficult one preceded by extensive deliberations among key stakeholders.” He said concerns were raised about the OPVs in early 2010, regarding the capabilities of the vessels’ combat system. “By then,” Sandy said, “the first OPV was already more than nine months late and BAE had announced anticipated delays with the other two.” Sandy added: “These concerns crystallised with sea trials for the first OPV in May when it became clear that BAE was unable to demonstrate that the combat system had the required capabilities. “These are capabilities that BAE committed to provide in the contract for all three vessels,”. He said BAE proposed that Government take delivery of the defective vessels, despite that the combat system defects would materially prejudice the vessels’ operational capabilities. “BAE”s proposals for rectification after delivery did not provide the Government with sufficient assurance that BAE knew with any certainty either how or when it would be able to resolve the problems,” Sandy added.

Faced with yet further delayed delivery dates announced by BAE in August, he said Government concluded there was too great a risk that the project would fail to meet its strategic objectives, Sandy said. He said T&T’s interests could not be compromised through acceptance of vessels which could not perform to the agreed specification. Sandy said the first breach of contract occurred in 2009 when the former PNM Government began confirming delays for the three vessels. In light of the cancellation, Sandy said Cabinet had undertaken review of the complete range of T&T’s naval and aviation assets to determine the mandatory operational needs of the Defence Force and protective services “with a view to supplementing same, if necessary.” Asked by Imbert whether the defects in the OPVs were enough to destroy the entire OPV project, Sandy said: “No.” However, Sandy added he would not buy a defective car, especially one with a defect that interfered with a firing capacity. “It ought not to be acquired,” Sandy added.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1396356196966#%2F

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2010, 04:56:21 AM »
Government stands to receive $61 million in damages as well as a “significant refund of money” on the Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) which have been cancelled, National Security Minister John Sandy said yesterday. Speaking in the House of Representatives Sandy officially confirmed that a September 16 Cabinet decision agreed that the Ministers of Finance and National Security and Attorney General terminated all contractual arrangements regarding procurement of the three OPVs.

uuuuuuummmm......so Sandy and Panday was lying when they said initially that they didn't know anything about a cancelled contract and that it wasn't a cabinet decision (although I think it was Panday who made that last statement so he may just not have known about the cabinet decision)......

Also, from Sandy's utterances over the past few weeks, I get the impression he eh agree with cancelling the contracts....<sigh>  whatever yes....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2010, 05:50:11 AM »
If they get out of this deal without paying a cent they get away big time.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »
lol...Sandy car have firing capacities? lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »
lol...Sandy car have firing capacities? lol

...and ah ejector seat apparently ::)

I like how the headline making big conclusory pronouncements about how much money the government stands to recoup.  Sandy heself talking as though it's already a done deal when in fact that's neither his nor the government's call to make.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »
Another chapter in the saga....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Scrapping_OPV_deal_a_wrong_call-105578418.html

Scrapping OPV deal a wrong call
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

"The Prime Minister is irresponsible, incompetent and she is under the direct control of persons with whom she is too familiar," Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley stated yesterday as he slammed Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and her national security adviser, Gary Griffith, for the cancellation of the Offshore Patrol Vessels contract.  He was speaking on a private motion in the House of Representatives, which asked the House to express its "deep disappointment and serious concern" over the Government's decision to scrap the purchase of the OPVs and to call on Government to do what was necessary to effectively secure the Trinidad and Tobago coastline.

Rowley said public decision-making was being based "not on clear judgment but on sound bites and other considerations such as political expediency and possibly worse (than that)".
He noted that while Minister of National Security John Sandy had told the media he was in favour of the acquisition of the vessels because they were key in the fight against crime, Griffith, who was the "first Government spokesperson" to address the OPV issue, was against the acquisition.  "Clearly Griffith has more authority in the Cabinet than the Minister," Rowley said.  The Opposition Leader said Griffith was a soldier "whose claim to fame was that he was sent to the Prime Minister house (during the Panday era) to be head of the household, in charge of pots, pans, gas and car and he got so familiar with the household that he became part of the household".  Rowley said the Prime Minister's statements that the vessels were not needed because they were too slow, too big and that the war was not in the seas, but on the ground, were childish and showed a "complete misunderstanding of the assignment that she has to carry out".
"And on the basis of this misunderstanding she is open to being misled by a soldier who tells her what she should and shouldn't buy," he declared.

Rowley said while this Government was also talking about delays (as a cause for cancelling the contract), it had not told the population the issue of delays had been already dealt with by the previous administration.
Said Rowley: "A document was signed by BAE in April 2010 where the previous (PNM) government, realising that there were delays taking place, sought to enforce the contract, met with BAE, enforced the clause in the contract and agreed by negotiation on a figure of $20,000 per day in damages for delay and it came (up) to $61 million.  "This (People's Partnership) Cabinet didn't do anything. That was done by April 2010 and we didn't only get six million pounds sterling under the clause of damages. We negotiated and got nine million pounds sterling, almost $100 million, and we took it in equipment, maintenance and training. So when you hear the Government talking about delays.  "The lawyers (for BAE) are laughing because up until April, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago had dealt with the matter of delays. One month later, these uninformed, uninitiated persons (in the Government) believe that they could take back what was signed on April 20. What we are facing is lawyers going to court to argue that this matter was dealt with and there was a signed contract between BAE and Trinidad and Tobago which agreed on what would happen with respect to delays."
Noting that the Sultan of Brunei had unsuccessfully attempted to cancel a contract with BAE, Rowley said: "If we think that BAE would give us a pass, a bligh, especially since the Prime Minister has made the case for the BAE lawyers, I expect that if the Government cancels this contract, we would be heading for the courts and we wouldn't have many legs to stand on."

He said the Offshore Patrol Programme was an integral part of the country's development, as it was one of national security. He said recently he was speaking to a major captain of industry in energy who confirmed they had a concern about the country's ability to protect its assets offshore and for good reason. "We are now going farther and farther offshore to search for oil and gas. We have some of our major installations outside the 12-mile zone. The vessels we have in our hand now could hardly do a one-day patrol in those seas out there. We are going into the deep water in the bid round that is on the way, so very soon we would be going further out into the Atlantic Ocean," he said.

"If we are successful we would have installations out there. And what this Cabinet is saying to us is that our lifeline could be out there, but we are unable to purchase the equipment required in order to protect our heart valves."

The part where he talked about the delays already being dealt with by the previous administration was real interesting.  I caught most of this on the Parliamnent Channel yesterday.  Now I eh no fancy lawyer, and I eh want to seem like ah nitpicking, but common sense telling me Kamla goh regret this decision.
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
No we eh need no boat. Drugs getting sell on land. Dat come like yuh gone in subway to buy doubles.
Totally wrong place.

We will rise.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »
Yuh know what always bothered me about the decision.

1. That we first heard about it from foreign.
2. That the Minister of National Security on two occasions stated that he was in support of it.
3.  Cpt. Gary Griffith is apparently the one who opposed it.
4. Gary Griffith is not in Cabinet. So I guess Kamla she self carry the recommendations from Griffith into the cabinet meeting where the decision took place, I can only assume that Min. Sandy stated his feelings about the OPV's that we needed them but he was ignored anyway.
5.  So who running the country?? Cabinet or Gary Griffith??

On another note, Rowley in Parliament yesterday quoted from a document where this PP government sought advice from the people with the technical knowledge in the Coast Guard.  The recommendations were that we needed the OPV's.  Obviously that was ignored. 

So again I ask, who running the country??!!.....  ??? :-\
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
kamla too chupid
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
"A document was signed by BAE in April 2010 where the previous (PNM) government, realising that there were delays taking place, sought to enforce the contract, met with BAE, enforced the clause in the contract and agreed by negotiation on a figure of $20,000 per day in damages for delay and it came (up) to $61 million.  "This (People's Partnership) Cabinet didn't do anything. That was done by April 2010 and we didn't only get six million pounds sterling under the clause of damages. We negotiated and got nine million pounds sterling, almost $100 million, and we took it in equipment, maintenance and training. So when you hear the Government talking about delays.  "The lawyers (for BAE) are laughing because up until April, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago had dealt with the matter of delays.

This is significant.  I have been saying all along that you can't unilaterally terminate a contract and not expose yuhself to litigation.  Here is it the PNM government went about things the right way, there was a breach and subsequent negotiations (apparently) resolved the issue, with BAE making concessions to the tune of $61 million.  There was some additional 9 millions GBP ($89m TTD) that was negotiated and rather than accept payment in cash, the goverment accepted payment in equipment, maintenance and training.  Very interesting.

Even if the PP thought this contract was a total waste... the only way to justify termination is if they calculate the damages they'd have to pay and figure it would be less than going thru with the contract.  I doubth their calculations could be correct because the Court would likely calculate damages to be the value to BAE had the contract been performed as agreed... that and the fact that it's never really wise to gamble on what a court will award the other side... unless you absolutely sure of all the factors the Court will consider.

I could gloat and call Anand and dem schupid now... but in reality is we ass tuh ketch fuh this mistake (as I see it) they making yes.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
Bakes, what killing me is that party full of lawyers.  Hell Kamla is a lawyer, so she eh know the ramifications of what she doing??!!

And the document Rowley quoted from is a cabinet document eh so if they really did all their checks they would have known about this arrangement by the PNM.  I just waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one.....does BAE have a deadline by which to take legal action??   :thinking:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:07:08 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »

This is significant.  I have been saying all along that you can't unilaterally terminate a contract and not expose yuhself to litigation.  Here is it the PNM government went about things the right way, there was a breach and subsequent negotiations (apparently) resolved the issue, with BAE making concessions to the tune of $61 million.  There was some additional 9 millions GBP ($89m TTD) that was negotiated and rather than accept payment in cash, the goverment accepted payment in equipment, maintenance and training.  Very interesting.

Even if the PP thought this contract was a total waste... the only way to justify termination is if they calculate the damages they'd have to pay and figure it would be less than going thru with the contract.  I doubth their calculations could be correct because the Court would likely calculate damages to be the value to BAE had the contract been performed as agreed... that and the fact that it's never really wise to gamble on what a court will award the other side... unless you absolutely sure of all the factors the Court will consider.

I could gloat and call Anand and dem schupid now... but in reality is we ass tuh ketch fuh this mistake (as I see it) they making yes.
I was hoping they really found some hole to weasel us out of paying. We looking kinda bad right now and I think Rowley is right that BAE's law team will give us real wood. The government will either have to put their tail between their legs and buy the vessels or we will pay through our backside for no boats.

I keep on asking myself if its something I don't understand. Why would the PM make that decision ? Are things really that bad economically that we couldn't incur those expenses.  If so ,how was she hoping to avoid paying ? It would be a shame to think this was just all about politics and bad mind. Consider that the persons with the expertise all say we need the vessels. Basically is everybody including the Minister Sandy wanted the OPVS, except Griffith of course.

This thing is more than just scoring political points. It's about our national security and taxpayers' money. Surely the PM missed the mark on both accounts.

1]; } ?>