July 24, 2024, 04:27:50 PM

Author Topic: Majoring in Minors/Going back to basics?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Majoring in Minors/Going back to basics?
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:49:11 AM »
Came across this article on the Guardian's website.

Synopsis basically is the fact that the financial disparity that exists between groups means that the US is missing out on significant talent because of the fact that talent that exists in low income areas are not getting an opportunity to be seen.
He sees well-to-do families spending thousands of dollars a year on soccer clubs that propel their children to the sport’s highest levels, while thousands of gifted athletes in mostly African American and Latino neighborhoods get left behind. He worries about this inequity. Soccer is the world’s great democratic game, whose best stars have come from the world’s slums, ghettos and favelas. And yet in the US the path to the top is often determined by how many zeroes a parent can write in their checkbook.

Now...while its interesting to know....really and truly that isnt consequential for ME. And I speaking as a Trinbagonian who recognizes the fact that we have talent and can do better. But as I read the article, I realized, what about our situation locally? We speak to the need to have formal coaching systems in place "at the grassroots level" is the catch phrase usually employed....but then...how? Especially when you think of this:
One of the biggest complaints about the pay-to-play system is that the over-coaching in suburban programs strips kids of the creativity that comes from playing on the streets. Borge loves his recruiting trips to the underground leagues where kids are free from restrictions. Too often, when a skilled and imaginative player leaves their neighborhood team to join a bigger team in a wealthier community, their gifts are considered a hindrance. The clever dancing with the ball that makes them unique earns them the label of not being a team player. A message is delivered: conform or leave.

Back in the day, street football gave a talent base that provided things  that are lacking now: creativity and community involvement. It declined for various reasons. Right now we would be cussing if a player with potential etc runs to play a minor league or goes to sweat in the Savannah and gets injured. Now, most parents, see the best chance that their child would have should be getting into a training school at an early age. In fact...there are secondary schools for intercol (arguably the best supported league in the country) that your playing for particular training schools is a sure way for you to be selected to represent your school.

BUT.......isnt and shouldnt the education obtained from street football be able to develop a better (or at least more creative) player? Wenger mentioned it when he just signed Alexis Sanchez (see here or for more direct quotes here )

Now I thinking culturally. I'll use Holly B as an example. Holly B was somebody that even I at my "young" age appreciated, because he brought back memories of an era and was active in an era were culturally we were showing great promise. Local content was high. Scouting for Talent and other shows launched many artistes. Sadly we probably didnt achieve all that we could have, and now things are not as it should be...the community spirit is broken. We think of 12 and under and other shows and opportunities that gave a platform for talent to be portrayed. A strong community gave rise to development and exposure of talent.

Is it possible to marry the two? How can we revamp our system to have a mutualistic relationship between the grassroots, the minor leagues, the Pro League and ensure that the product at the national level is better? Look...this year the Eddie Hart League is celebrating 50 years. Wonderful right? But....can this be replicated, expanded and optimized, so that we could maximize our talent pool?

I really dunno if its the fact that I reading and typing this at 230am....if this is coherent...if forumites would follow the angle I considering...or if anything constructive could or would come from it.

But I asking. How can we create conditions where we can have the best player possible? And I eh talking about vague generic statements. Success is the achievement of purpose. Can we highlight our goal as "This" and therefore to achieve "This" we need to do "x" "y" and "z" so that we can get more of "This"?

Do we have a formalized plan? Is it revisited? Or is it like we think we could just have a fete....throw some alcohol and some music and some loose waist gyal in the mix and we would have a successful event....when year after year we making the same mistakes. When many promoters have realized that a successful event requires lots of planning (and paradoxically enough this may be contributing to the "elitism" of our culture and stratification of carnival...which is a whole other debate)

Discuss. I really interested in hearing viewpoints.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:57:02 AM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Majoring in Minors/Going back to basics?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 07:41:41 AM »
Good post, Breds!!!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
a couple discussions with slightly different perspectives revolvig around future development. On the old board there was also a more indepth discussion on social and socio-economic development. Where I suggested we more importantly needed to fix such critical areas 1st, before we can observe such things as football improvement(and possibly all sports participation and development).
PE classes can serve not only to increase the health of the majority of the populance of the country, but could be an area where talent can be discovered and unselfishly promoted as well.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=245.msg1107#msg1107

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=146.msg1167#msg1167

Add: every time I see the title I think of

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7cNVAgelYPY
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:25:57 AM by maxg »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
Yeah the tune was in my head.... So I put it in the title.

So how could it be done? Any other ideas?

Sent from my AZUMI A50c+ using Tapatalk

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>