April 24, 2024, 06:33:13 PM

Author Topic: Reggae Boyz 1 - 0 Canucks  (Read 5699 times)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Reggae Boyz 1 - 0 Canucks
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:49:06 AM »
Jamaica's Reggae Boyz launched their 2014 Brazil World Cup campaign on a winning note when a Luton Shelton 68th minute strike condemned Canada to a 1-0 defeat in front of a partisan crowd inside the National Stadium last night.

The victory was Jamaica's fourth against the North Americans in 17 games and for the third time Shelton was getting on the scoresheet. He was a goalscorer when Jamaican won 2-1 on October 8 in a friendly international here at the same venue and he was also on target when Jamaica whipped the Maple Leaf boys 3-0 in a World Cup qualifying game on November 19, 2008.

The Jamaicans were off to a decent start, throwing numbers in attack and pinning their opponents on the defensive. In the third minute Rodolph Austin burst through from midfield on the left flank and whipped in a low cross, but a charging Demar Phillips just failed to get there ahead of a retreating defender, as Devon Hodges waited to pounce on any scraps.

Shortly after Phillips, who displayed his usual high levels of energy, played through Luton Shelton on the left side, but the speedy striker raced into the box then dallied before squandering the chance, despite having a number of teammates in support.

On 18 minutes Jamaica, who had looked the better team, moved the ball sumptuously from side to side before picking out the roving Phillips, who had switched to the right. He relayed a pass to Hodges inside the penalty area, but after the burly Rivoli United striker turned his marker expertly, he went for glory and blasted the ball high over the frame from an acute angle, instead of feeding any one of a number of teammates better placed in front of the goal.

The North Americans slowly worked themselves back into the game, and at the half way stage Dwayne Miller, who had been a spectator by then, had to dive to his right to parry a fierce low drive from a Massih Wassey free-kick from 30 yards.

And outside of punching away a few clearances from corner kicks, he was generally unwanted in the first half.

But on 36 minutes, Shelton ignited the crowd with an electrifying bit of skill. He collected a pass on the right flank 15 yards inside the Canadians' half, cut delicately, but decisively through the centre of the red-and-white clad Canadians, leaving them in his wake. But upon entering the penalty box and with only goalkeeper David Monslave to beat, he undid all the wonderful work by slotting the ball onto the body of the charging custodian, much to the chagrin of the partisan crowd.

The second half started in much the way of the first with Jamaica having the lion's share of possession and Canada trying to hit on the counter.

Early on de Julian de Guzman blasted a left-footer high over the top when an ineffective Eric Vernan lost possession just outside the penalty area, but the next play of significance belonged to the home team.

The ever-willing Omar Cummings was dispossessed a few metres inside the Canadians' half, but displayed resilience by regaining possession from a startled de Guzman before he embarked on an incisive run at the defence before teeing up Shelton on the left side. And for once, Shelton didn't hesitate as he powered home a firm grounder at Monsalve's near post.

Then on 76 minutes, Monslave did very well to deny Cummings' neat header from Austin's free-kick.

Head coach Theodore Whitmore made five substitutions and on occasions they tore the Canadian defence apart without having the incisiveness to conjure up a goal.

But at game's end Canada's head coach Stephen Hart could have no complaints as his team was clearly second best on the night.

Teams: Jamaica --Dwayne Miller, Tyrone Marshall, Shavar Thomas, Jermaine Taylor, Jason Morrison Ryan Johnson 71st), Rodolph Austin (Richard Edwards 79th), Eric Vernan (Kenardo Forbes 74th), Demar Phillips, Luton Shelton (Navion Boyd 70th), Omar Cummings (Keammar Daley 79th), Devon Hodges.

Subs not used: DuWayne Kerr, Rafe Wolfe, Adrian Reid, Lovel Palmer.

Booked: Phillips (74th), Daley (86th).

Canada -- David Monslave, Ante Jazic, Andre Hainault, Julian de Guzman, Antonio Riberio (Adrian Cann 42nd, Rivas carlo 88th), Dejan Jakovic, Tyler Hemming, Ali Gerba, Massih Wassey, Stephen Ademolu (Nana Attakora 71st), Eddy Sidra (Edwini-Bonsu Randy 77th).

Subs not used: Sirdjan Djekanovic, Garrett Kusch.

Booked: de Guzman (45th), Attakora (80th), Cann (84th).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:50:48 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Reggae Boyz 1 - 0 Canucks
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »
In contrast, what is T&T doing? Nothing. No coach, no training, no preparation. Wine and jam is priority. Keep it up. We could afford to start 3 months before Concacaf qualifications man and give some li'l school boys their first experience of defending in front of rabid Central american crowds..... All de excitement does be fun. We like it so.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »
Is cricket season now boy...

what part of trinidad you from if you dont know this???

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:11:30 AM »
In contrast, what is T&T doing? Nothing. No coach, no training, no preparation. Wine and jam is priority. Keep it up. We could afford to start 3 months before Concacaf qualifications man and give some li'l school boys their first experience of defending in front of rabid Central american crowds..... All de excitement does be fun. We like it so.

Today your not dreaming. Dat is we dam reality.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »

Today your not dreaming. Dat is we dam reality.

And we like ittttttt.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Luton Shelton scored in the second half Sunday to help Jamaica beat Canada 1-0 in a soccer friendly.

Shelton, who plays for Norwegian club Valerenga, scored in the 68th minute at National Stadium after the Reggae Boyz dominated the first half.

The striker collected a pass from Colorado Rapids forward Omar Cummings and scored his 28th goal with Jamaica while spoiling Stephen Hart's debut as Canada's full-time coach.

Canada's best opportunity came late in the game when unmarked forward Ali Gerba missed from eight yards.

Neither Canada or Jamaica qualified for this year's World Cup in South Africa.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:27:13 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
Is cricket season now boy...

what part of trinidad you from if you dont know this???

cricket?

yuh mean Carnival Season KND.

yuh eh know wining is now a national sport?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »
What does Carnival has to do with it. The PERSON in charge has other priorities. He is a politician trying win an election(maybe soon or next 2 years?). Wine and Jam meh arse. If we so concern about carnival they could have arranged a game in Central or South America. Warner is a FIFA official, you mean to say he can't ask Ven. Colombia or Ecuador for a practice game. Wine and jam is a lame excuse.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 05:28:40 PM by Deeks »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:48:06 PM »
What does Carnival has to do with it. The PERSON in charge has other priorities. He is a politician trying win an election(maybe soon or next 2 years?). Wine and Jam meh arse. If we so concern about carnival they could have arranged a game is Central or South America. Warner is aFIFA official, you mean to say he can't ask Ven. Colombia or Ecuador for a practice game. Wine and jam is a lame excuse.
Breds allyuh still studying this losing team and discombobulated federation? these ppl is what ah losing mentality is made of!

and until jack either buck up or ship out and we get ah proper federation president and coach, i not in the whole hearted support of TNT football! the last four yrs was indeed ah nightmare and i was oh so happy after the mexico game that it was finally OVER!!!

tuh tell yuh the truth, i want tuh see TNT football move forward! imagine  just yesterday while watching ghana and egypt ah spanish fella after hearing me and another trini brudder in ah convo ask me if i was from trini, then he went on to say how horrible our team was, and he couldn't believe after being in ah world cup how sucky our team performed in qualifying!

@ first i was angered by the way he was dogging the team, but then i realized he was just being honest and was also asking what the fack happened between 06 and 09 that a team could just totally regress into oblivion.

i then told the bredder that we have great players, but our federation did not do their best to prepare the team for international competition and did not invite the best available players to join the team or secure ah proper coach.

bottom line, camps and jack have tuh walk away for the progression of TNT football tuh move forward, and i willing tuh wait until that happens! as for fellas like latas and yorke? those guys showed where they were as volatile as any other yes man that encompass TNT football, i think shaka and kelvin jack iz our only hope for ah brighter football tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:53:45 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
What does Carnival has to do with it. The PERSON in charge has other priorities. He is a politician trying win an election(maybe soon or next 2 years?). Wine and Jam meh arse. If we so concern about carnival they could have arranged a game is Central or South America. Warner is aFIFA official, you mean to say he can't ask Ven. Colombia or Ecuador for a practice game. Wine and jam is a lame excuse.
     Deeks i might be wrong but i'm trying to look at this from another angle,is it possible JW trying to ease his way out of T&T Football?may be he is looking to see if someone or group will get fedup with what's going on with Football and say enough is enough and take control of the whole dam thing,this could be the reason why he is heavy on politics at least he will still be involved in some way politically.
    Just how Football tired of JW,JW tired of Football too,that's why he into politics,don't matter what people do they can't get away from him,Trini to the bone. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »
Coops,
           Bro, if that is the case that Jack want to ease his way out football and concentrate more on politics? That would be great, but I would not bet my life on it. If there are individuals or organization(s) with money willing  to step in to run football. Go for it. They could not do any worse as it stands now. JW and company have been there from early 80's. We want a new organization. Jack is now to distracted by political duties. I ain't have problem with that. He was legally elected by his consituents. But his special advisory status to the TTFF is a sham and a huge conflict of interest. He is probably the only FIFA official who is a politician. Correct me if I am wrong about.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »
Coops,
           Bro, if that is the case that Jack want to ease his way out football and concentrate more on politics? That would be great, but I would not bet my life on it. If there are individuals or organization(s) with money willing  to step in to run football. Go for it. They could not do any worse as it stands now. JW and company have been there from early 80's. We want a new organization. Jack is now to distracted by political duties. I ain't have problem with that. He was legally elected by his consituents. But his special advisory status to the TTFF is a sham and a huge conflict of interest. He is probably the only FIFA official who is a politician. Correct me if I am wrong about.
Jack has been with the organisation, that is TTFF, since early 70's
read this article
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=15743.msg162330#msg162330
on December 4, 1973 he was the the TTFA general secretary and Concacaf official and did NOT challenge the result of that match in Haiti..............FORKU JACK

and I think is just a money grab for Jack....ALL this politics crap
He go RIP ah new arsehole for the National Treasury before he dun
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:44:29 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
Until the national politics gravy train is bigger than the FIFA/CONCACAF/CFU/TTFF gravy train he's staying put.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:36 PM »
Until the national politics gravy train is bigger than the FIFA/CONCACAF/CFU/TTFF gravy train he's staying put.

COSIGNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 09:57:48 PM »

COSIGNNNNN
Cosign2
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »
BM HERE..is jamaica in the group with France ?? ( notice the common 'j")

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
south africa , canada and now argentina....jamaica ff is working as for we hmmm and when they finally ready to get the ball moving we playing grenada guyana an a pack a sh*tungs
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:31:04 PM »
knowing Trinidad and Tobago was in their final stage of the world qualifying and the Reggae Boyz was out...the Reggae Boyz was still getting the respect internationally and big country wanted to play them...as a Trinibagoian it tell me T&T have a long way to go....

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 07:33:19 AM »
February 4, 2010

Maradona calls up even more fresh faces

Argentina coach Diego Maradona has decided to give seven new players their first national team call-ups, despite facing the challenge of culling the 78 players he used in World cup qualification down to a squad of 23.

Maradona has had to make four immediate changes to his 18-man home-based squad for the friendly international match against Jamaica next Wednesday. The changes, just hours after the squad was initially revealed, are due to Estudiantes' Copa Libertadores match against Peru's Juan Aurich the day after the friendly.

Maradona thus removed the four players he had selected from the club - defender Clemente Rodriguez, midfielder Enzo Perez and forwards Jose Sosa and Mauro Boselli.

Among their replacements are Atletico Tucuman forward Juan Pablo Pereyra and Huracan midfielder Patricio Toranzo, whose inclusions take the number of players gaining their first call-up from four up to seven.

Pereyra was included despite undergoing nose surgery, while Argentinos Juniors defender Ignacio Canuto and Boca Juniors midfielder Jesus Mendez are the other two players added.

Chacarita Juniors defender Mariano Echeverria, who scored a brace to help his team beat Tigre 2-0 in a local league game last week, also debuts along with Independiente duo Walter Acevedo and Leonel Galeano and Racing Club pair Lucas Licht and Gabriel Mercado.

Argentina, who defeated Costa Rica 3-2 last week, are warming-up for the World Cup Finals where they are playing Nigeria, South Korea and Greece in Group B.

Argentina squad: Cristian Campestrini (Arsenal), Nelson Ibanez (Godoy Cruz); Matias Caruzzo (Argentinos Juniors), Ignacio Canuto (Argentinos Juniors), Mariano Echeverria (Chacarita Juniors), Leonel Galeano (Independiente), Lucas Licht (Racing Club), Gabriel Mercado (Racing Club); Patricio Toranzo (Huracan), Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors), Federico Insua (Boca Juniors), Jesus Mendez (Boca Juniors), Walter Acevedo (Independiente); Franco Jara (Arsenal), Osvaldo Nicolas Gaitan (Boca Juniors), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Juan Pablo Pereyra (Atletico Tucuman), Gabriel Hauche (Racing Club).

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hard work is the key to success

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
Argentina squad: Cristian Campestrini (Arsenal), Nelson Ibanez (Godoy Cruz); Matias Caruzzo (Argentinos Juniors), Ignacio Canuto (Argentinos Juniors), Mariano Echeverria (Chacarita Juniors), Leonel Galeano (Independiente), Lucas Licht (Racing Club), Gabriel Mercado (Racing Club); Patricio Toranzo (Huracan), Juan Mercier (Argentinos Juniors), Federico Insua (Boca Juniors), Jesus Mendez (Boca Juniors), Walter Acevedo (Independiente); Franco Jara (Arsenal), Osvaldo Nicolas Gaitan (Boca Juniors), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Juan Pablo Pereyra (Atletico Tucuman), Gabriel Hauche (Racing Club).

Romero
Andujar
Heinze
Schiavi
Demichellis
Otamendi
Pareja
Monzon
Gago
Mascherano
Gutierrez
Aimar
Di Maria
Bolatti
Veron
Messi
Higuain
Saviola
Tevez
Aguero
Abbondanzieri
Cambiasso
Zanetti
Milito
Maxi Rodriguez

ALL OUT.

Only 2 players...Palermo & Insua from any of the Argentinian World Cup Qualifying

Is this like wha Peru bring in 2006 to Trini when they send dey U 23 team?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 01:29:02 PM »

Very experimental team it seems... It's Argentina though, so you know they will have some quality- good test for Jamaica.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 01:41:48 PM »
Yes, this Argentina side is a domestic squad.  But when you are a side the pedegree of Argentina, playing a 4th tier world team at home, you start overwhelming favorites. Having said that, this Jamaica team is missing a few of the players that played in the Canada match Sunday, as some of the guys based in Sacndinavia has returned for pre-season. It will be a mix of MLS and the best of the local guys in the DPL...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:43:35 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 03:59:04 PM »
The Jamaica team is also a young one.and it's also a few overseas players got call up. its not about what players you are playing its about rebuilding and giving the young players a chance to prove they deserved to be in the future squad. if you notice its also a rotational plan with different players getting call up.

No.    Pos.    Player                                     DoB (Age)         Caps   Goals    Club
—    GK    Dwayne Miller    July 14, 1987 (1987-07-14) (age 22)    9    0    Jamaica Harbour View F.C.
—    GK    Richard McCallum    23 March 1984 (1984-03-23) (age 25)    10    0    Jamaica Waterhouse F.C.
—    GK    Dwayne Kerr    16 January 1987 (1987-01-16) (age 23)    4    0    Jamaica Portmore United
—    DF    Dicoy Williams    7 October 1986 (1986-10-07) (age 23)    3    0    Jamaica Harbour View
—    DF    Jermaine Taylor    14 January 1985 (1985-01-14) (age 25)    28    0    Jamaica St. George's S.C.
—    DF    Adrian Reid             March 10, 1985 (1985-03-10) (age 24)    12    0    Jamaica Portmore United
—    DF    Shavar Thomas    January 29, 1981 (1981-01-29) (age 29)    29    0    United States Philadelphia
                                                                                                                                           Union
—    DF    Demar Stewart    15 December 1984 (1984-12-15) (age 25) 8    1    People's Republic of
                                                                                                                China Chengdu Blades
—    MF    Kenardo Forbes    15 May 1988 (1988-05-15) (age 21)    0    0    Jamaica Waterhouse F.C.
—    MF    Rodolph Austin    1 June 1985 (1985-06-01) (age 24)    27    2    Norway SK Brann
—    MF    Jevaughn Watson 22 October 1983 (1983-10-22) (age 26)    0    0    Jamaica Sporting
                                                                                                                 Central Academy
—    MF    Richard Edwards    April 15, 1983 (1983-04-15) (age 26)    9    0    Jamaica Harbour View
—    MF    Lovel Palmer    30 August 1984 (1984-08-30) (age 25)    12    0    Jamaica Harbour View
—    MF    Jason Johnson    January 1, 1992 (1992-01-01) (age 18)    0    0    Jamaica Manchester High
                                                                                                                                          School
—    MF    Dane Richards    14 December 1983 (1983-12-14) (age 26)14    0    United States BullNewYork
—    FW    Devon Hodges    26 July 1984 (1984-07-26) (age 25)    6    2    Jamaica Rivoli United F.C.
—    FW    Keammar Daley    August 21, 1988 (1988-08-21) (age 21)    4    2    Jamaica Tivoli Gardens F.C.
—    FW    Navion Boyd    October 10, 1986 (1986-10-10) (age 23)    2    0    Jamaica Tivoli Gardens F.C.
—    FW    Omar Cummings    13 July 1982 (1982-07-13) (age 27)    15    3    United States Colorado
                                                                                                                                      Rapids
—    FW    Ryan Johnson    26 November 1984 (1984-11-26) (age 25) 2    0    United States
                                                                                                                San Jose Earthquakes

We are missing a lot of players also, but this is not a tournament or competition this a new re-building format where the national team will have two camps together each month and at leas one friendly a month even if it means playing Barbados. this could jell the team so they could create and organize style of play come 2014. Tappa also have plans to scout for new U.S college players, these are footballers we have neglected in the pass, so now its a new way forward. you have to build for the future cannot sit and do nothing like what we have done in the pass.   

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:10:32 PM by jahkingdom »

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:06:27 AM by jahkingdom »

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »
Yes, this Argentina side is a domestic squad.  But when you are a side the pedegree of Argentina, playing a 4th tier world team at home, you start overwhelming favorites. Having said that, this Jamaica team is missing a few of the players that played in the Canada match Sunday, as some of the guys based in Sacndinavia has returned for pre-season. It will be a mix of MLS and the best of the local guys in the DPL...

Its going to be a JAMAICA B  vs ARGENTINA B , each side missing key players .

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

1]; } ?>