March 28, 2024, 04:36:28 AM

Author Topic: The New UNC Agenda  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
The New UNC Agenda
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:54 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_opinion?id=161590630

The new UNC agenda
William Lucie-Smith
Wednesday, February 3rd 2010

First we must all congratulate Kamla Persad-Bissessar on her outstanding landslide victory in the UNC leadership elections. Many people thought the election would be close, not least because Basdeo Panday had controlled the party apparatus for so long.
Jack Warner and Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj knew that a change of leadership was essential to the future of the UNC and campaigned for change. NACTA’s polls, however, were inexplicably misleading and the final margin of Kamla’s victory was overwhelming. It was a gross humiliation for Panday and proof that he is finished as a force in politics.

Kamla Persad-Bissessar must however be intelligent enough to realise this was a stinging rejection of Basdeo Panday rather than a personal endorsement. It was certainly an endorsement of change and the desire for a unified coherent opposition and the rejection of Panday’s vituperative style that has caused so many rifts in the party. Many correspondents have been giving Ms Persad-Bissessar gratuitous advice including the need to reconcile with the Panday faction and that the COP is now irrelevant. This is poor advice indeed. Mr Panday has been roundly rejected by his own party members and needs to be politely ignored.

Many have joined the bandwagon of praising his long service and contribution to national service. I disagree and believe that he will be remembered as a mountebank populist demagogue of dubious integrity, who contributed little to Trinidad and Tobago. The poor grace with which he took this defeat was on a par with his disgraceful concession speech at the last general election.
Kamla need not worry about the support of the parliamentary party or the Panday faction, because they are now irrelevant and have nowhere to go. Any sensible UNC parliamentarian should respect the democratic vote and now pledge his full support to her and quickly. Those who fail to do so are saying, in effect, that they wish to join Basdeo Panday on the back benches and do not wish to be endorsed as a candidate in any future election. It may take a few days for the penny to drop but they should certainly want to be one of the first eight UNC MPs to declare loyalty to the new democratically elected leader.

This victory however, is only a first step if the true goal is to win a national election. The small minority of the UNC who did not support Kamla will fall into step very quickly. Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj was a very hard-working Attorney General and despite his lack of popular support he would make a good whip once he pledges support to the leader.
However, those who suggest the COP unity talks are now irrelevant are quite wrong. While it is true that many COP supporters will return to the UNC and that COP now has no realistic chance of displacing the UNC, their support is still important. By doing nothing Kamla may get 70 per cent of the COP support that fades away from that party. By achieving a merger (not an alliance) and offering front bench positions to Winston Dookeran and Prakash Ramadhar, Kamla can capture all those 150,000 anti-PNM votes.

If the UNC can successfully merge with the COP and obtain the support of vast majority of COP voters they will become a credible alternative government. This, however, will not be enough to defeat the PNM, who should never be underestimated. In order to win Kamla will have to achieve three further things. First of all she must show herself to be a stateswoman and an inclusive leader quite unlike Mr Panday. Secondly, she must appoint a ’shadow’ cabinet of credible leaders to show the people that there is an alternative government to the PNM. Thirdly she must demonstrate an alternative political philosophy that can differentiate the UNC from the PNM.

In many respects the previous UNC administration performed well, but was brought down by the perception of corruption (since proven at the airport) and internal strife. By concentrating on mega projects and on State ownership of businesses (smelter plants, hotels and international financial centres) the PNM have opened a space for a social democratic party that will eschew state mega projects to favour health care, education and infrastructure and the needs of the people. If Ms Persad-Bissessar can achieve all these things, which are by no means easy, the UNC will be in a position to give the PNM a real run for its money. It may come as a major shock to Patrick Manning that he may be only marginally more popular than Basdeo Panday. It may also be a shock that many people are dissatisfied with the PNM’s performance and their economic policies.

However, they are all waiting for an opposition party that can ’get it together’ before deserting the PNM the way the UNC deserted Basdeo Panday. Ms Persad-Bissessar’s election is only the very first step on a long road, but we will see some very interesting politics in the near future. Kamla and Jack may be an odd couple, but together they make an interesting team.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

That highlighted part is exactly how I feel.  I does hear people talking about Panday's great legacy and how he was the best PM we ever had and on and on....steups!!!  He was the most vile, unstatesman like drunkard that ever rule over we. Legacy my eye!!!!..... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The New UNC Agenda
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »
We like 2 mamaguy peeps d man is a criminal who should be behind bars in an adjourning cell wit Oma.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »
some people say that is is "Just Politics"
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
Ah doh know where dey arse to paste this...Browning ah hope ya doh mine eh?

Bas vacates his chair
GAIL ALEXANDER
Published: 25 Feb 2010
Trinidad Guardian

As UNC leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar gets set to assume the Opposition Leader’s chair in Parliament tomorrow, outgoing Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday blanked yesterday’s Parliament session—leaving the chair vacant. “I left (the chair) vacant as they want to occupy it,” Panday said, during a telephone interview yesterday. The chair in Parliament that Panday occupied since 2002 in his most recent stint as Opposition Leader was noticeably empty yesterday, between Persad-Bissessar and UNC chief whip Jack Warner.

After Persad-Bissessar finally secured the necessary majority support from MPs to obtain the post of Opposition Leader, MPs Jack Warner and Roodal Moonilal yesterday left the Parliament at 2.30 pm to take a letter to President George Maxwell Richards on the planned change. Signatures on the letter were from MPs Harry Partap, Nizam Baksh, Winston Peters, Jack Warner, Chandresh Sharma, Roodal Moonilal and Tim Gopeesingh. Panday, who has functioned as Opposition Leader at different periods in political history since 1976, said yesterday that he had not yet packed up and moved out of the Opposition Leader’s office. “I have not been informed of any change,” he added.

Panday said he did not attend yesterday’s Parliament session since, he said, “I’m giving them a chance to sort themselves out.” Persad-Bissessar at Tuesday’s UNC caucus formalised plans to place Panday to her left when she takes the Opposition Leader’s seat tomorrow. The decision on seating was announced at the caucus. Asked yesterday if he would agree to sitting at Persad-Bissessar’s left, Panday said: “I don’t know where they will put me...on the front bench or the back—or the Red House steps. I don’t know. I don’t know what is in their mind...I do know that I find it extremely difficult to work under a chief whip who has refused to account for millions of dollars he had received on behalf of the UNC. “But this party has had 20 years of my blood, sweat and tears, and I will not let any international operator take it over, yet I fear the UNC will mash up over the next six months and disintegrate.”

Panday said he would not be involved in that and he had no plans to form a new party. He said he was curious about the COP’s planned unity meeting on March 7 with party leaders and hoped it would not mean that all the UNC had achieved over the years would be “given away” at that meeting. On his mood as tomorrow’s Parliament changes loom, Panday said he was very “relaxed and very relieved.” At yesterday’s Parliament session, UNC MPs were in brisk mode before the session, watched intently by PNM MPs who gave some of them picong. During debate, Moonilal huddled in conversation with Tim Gopeesingh and Vasant Bharath, while MPs Subhas Panday and Mikela Panday—who did not sign the letter of support— sat isolated.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »
I goh real miss Panday....just this week he give we this gem.....

When asked about his current relationship with Kamla he replied

"We are not related...."
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:13:31 PM »
I goh real miss Panday....just this week he give we this gem.....

When asked about his current relationship with Kamla he replied

"We are not related...."

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »
Trini politics go be boring now.. steupsssss
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

1]; } ?>