April 29, 2024, 12:03:56 AM

Author Topic: Im surprised More Trinbagonians don't live in Los Angeles  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Im surprised More Trinbagonians don't live in Los Angeles
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:28 PM »
The city of arts and entertainment, the landscape(mountains, valleys, warmer temp) all remind me of a north american version of trinidad, the way houses and things are built.

I was wondering why more trinbagonians have not moved out here, traditionally it has always been the east coast, but i feel trinis would love it more out here i believe, yes its a bold statement but true.

yea i know theres earthquakes, but trini has them also, florida is hurricanes and new york, dc, toronto and london are all colder.

However, one thing thats missing out in los angeles is the trinbago presence, music, arts, culture, however the vibe is laid back like trini.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Im surprised More Trinbagonians don't live in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »
The city of arts and entertainment, the landscape(mountains, valleys, warmer temp) all remind me of a north american version of trinidad, the way houses and things are built.

I was wondering why more trinbagonians have not moved out here, traditionally it has always been the east coast, but i feel trinis would love it more out here i believe, yes its a bold statement but true.

yea i know theres earthquakes, but trini has them also, florida is hurricanes and new york, dc, toronto and london are all colder.

However, one thing thats missing out in los angeles is the trinbago presence, music, arts, culture, however the vibe is laid back like trini.

Plenty trinis in LA county, can't give you an exact # or estimate but I have a brederin out there for years (> 10) and everytime I spend time there we hit one or more TT/Caribbean events where you see the true size of the community.  I get the sense that the absolute # is less than Atlanta (where I lived for 4 years) but only marginally less than Houston. 
A couple of pts.: Carib is imported into LA, some of the best roti I ever eat in the US is at Tree House, TT spot close to LAX.  Keep in mind, LA county is very spread out and isolated, so hard to get a true sense of the actual size of the community, though those w/more info may know better
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
LA is the best if you take away the traffic. But even I had had enough. Florida is a more REAL city.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
LA is the best if you take away the traffic. But even I had had enough. Florida is a more REAL city.

erm, Florida is not a city, lol

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »
Never a first jump off point you see. The east coast is so easily accesible to home. But my one year there was really nice. I actually rather San Diego.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:49:49 PM »
If I had to move within the U.S. LA (or LA suburbs) would probably be my first choice....kinda tired of cold weather. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
Never a first jump off point you see. The east coast is so easily accesible to home. But my one year there was really nice. I actually rather San Diego.

San Diego would be my choice too. Went there for vacation in 2007 and I loved it.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
LOl Miami ah mean
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
Man LA is so far away from Trini, no Trini passing up FL for LA with that distance

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 05:42:39 AM »

Although Ato make ah out, there is actually a place named Florida City, which is just before the Florida Keys.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 07:38:44 AM »
LOl Miami ah mean

Don't feel bad, if yuh ask the average man in TnT where Florida is he will say "in Miami".

Don't talk for Massachusetts, that is "in Boston".
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
we're looking at moving to the west coast by the end of this year. Tired of cold upstate winters, tired of high NYS taxes. The man lived in LA for about 5 years when he was younger and wants to go back. Not sure where in Cali we'll end up, probably wherever they pay him more.
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
we're looking at moving to the west coast by the end of this year. Tired of cold upstate winters, tired of high NYS taxes. The man lived in LA for about 5 years when he was younger and wants to go back. Not sure where in Cali we'll end up, probably wherever they pay him more.
Good choice ;D :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »

what kind of work is he looking for?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »

sw.net forum moderator
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »

Plenty trinis in LA county, can't give you an exact # or estimate but I have a brederin out there for years (> 10) and everytime I spend time there we hit one or more TT/Caribbean events where you see the true size of the community.  I get the sense that the absolute # is less than Atlanta (where I lived for 4 years) but only marginally less than Houston. 
A couple of pts.: Carib is imported into LA, some of the best roti I ever eat in the US is at Tree House, TT spot close to LAX.  Keep in mind, LA county is very spread out and isolated, so hard to get a true sense of the actual size of the community, though those w/more info may know better

imo treehouse is aight, nuttin special, better places in toronto and new york, even florida in my opinion, so i cant vouch there, carib is also imported all over the US and toronto, i prefer stag  8) havent seen that much trini/caribbean events, the only place i sawtrinis was treehouse which is in inglewood.

if you know other places that i dont know of, feel free to share breds bc it seems scarce to me.

in all honesty, trinis would enjoy it out here better imo

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:01:55 PM »

sw.net forum moderator

allyuh offerin benefits?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »

sw.net forum moderator

OUCHHHHHH
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 12:16:30 AM »

imo treehouse is aight, nuttin special, better places in toronto and new york, even florida in my opinion, so i cant vouch there, carib is also imported all over the US and toronto, i prefer stag  8) havent seen that much trini/caribbean events, the only place i sawtrinis was treehouse which is in inglewood.

if you know other places that i dont know of, feel free to share breds bc it seems scarce to me.

in all honesty, trinis would enjoy it out here better imo

Like I said above, LA county being so spread out, it's easy to miss the fact that there are high #s, Trinis are in Inglewood, Ladera Heights, Miracle Mile, even as "remote" as Santa Monica.  My boy out there is a free lance Journalist for a few musical magazines and is heavily intertwined w/the TT/Caribbean community has interviewed artists like Sizzla, Morgan Heritage among others on their visit to perform in LA.  He built up this network over many years, believe he has been there since 96, had he not been there I may have had the same view regarding how many of us are there, in fact, I am pleasantly surprised...Again, not gospel, but based on my experiences through him. 

As for Treehouse roti, oh gosh, yuh is tears eh, of course yuh culd find betta roti in NY/TO/Miami, after TT, de most ah we in dem (and odder) cities  ;D  It's proximity to LAX is a nice ting doh, mash up a roti and a red solo before heading out
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 06:03:18 AM »

Somebody tell mih Machel (who I've renamed the fighter until proven otherwise) is a LA resident.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »

all yuh good oui  :rotfl:  but yuh right

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »
Ato should open ah f00cking roti shop in LA......

Who want to live LA, to reach T&T it taking man 12 hours. ...  :rotfl:

But nice place though, LA is nice.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
Ato should open ah f00cking roti shop in LA......

Who want to live LA, to reach T&T it taking man 12 hours. ...  :rotfl:

But nice place though, LA is nice.

12 hours is serious, bwee need more trinis in la to fly straight dey, small ting, the women make up for the 12 hrs yuh on the plane

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:28:46 AM »

Somebody tell mih Machel (who I've renamed the fighter until proven otherwise) is a LA resident.
yep
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »

yep

from my reliable sources, he has a house there yes, resident i dont know about that.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 11:13:38 PM »

yep

from my reliable sources, he has a house there yes, resident i dont know about that.

Yep! Burbank with Kernal as company :-X

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »

yep

burbank is nice, good location and city, so davejenny tell me whats good about LA i heard you are out there also

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »

yep

burbank is nice, good location and city, so davejenny tell me whats good about LA i heard you are out there also

I am bi-coastal. To much to explain,there's a little of everything here plus the weather and to add,
Plain and simple the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:08:53 PM by davyjenny1 »

1]; } ?>