May 28, 2024, 06:35:47 PM

Author Topic: Carnival 2010: Live Video Streaming  (Read 16502 times)

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carnival 2010: Live Video Streaming
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »
Mas in March. Great!!!!!!!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2010, 12:15:51 AM »
Kernal: Palance win shows drop in standards
KIMBERLY MACKHAN
Published: 20 Feb 2010

The wide margin of success between Palance and its nearest competitor in the 2010 Road March Competition reflected a weak contest and drop in standards among the competition’s participants, according to Palance song-writer, Kernal Roberts. “Anytime you have a runaway Road March (winner), like Palance, that means that the competition was not stiff and that means that the standards of the industry kind of dropped this year,” Roberts told the Trinidad Guardian in a telephone interview on Ash Wednesday. “It was only Palance (being played) on the road and, at one point in time, Palance was just on repeat (play). That song was so fulfilling to the masqueraders that they did not want to hear anything else.” Palance, which was performed by radio personalities Jason Williams (JW) and Blaze (Ancil Isaac), defeated last year’s defending Road March champion, Faye-Ann Lyons-Alvarez, and her song, True Lies, to become this year’s Road March winner. It was the first time that a Road March song was played more than 400 times at the various judging points for Carnival. Palance was played 417 times, compared to Lyons-Alvarez’s True Lies, which was played 40 times.

Machel Montano’s No Behaviour, played 11 times, secured third position. “I did anticipate the serious cut-ass. I know what masqueraders want from my experience. “True Lies is a good song but the reason that song did not close the margin (or) gap (was) because that song was too personalised,” Roberts said. “People do not like to deal with one person’s personal issues; you need to factor it so that everybody could be included in the song. She (Lyons-Alvarez) is singing about her own personal issues. “It is a more melodious song than Palance but Palance had the melody to carry it (to Road March.”) Roberts said that he did not anticipate that the song would capture the winning titles of both this year’s Soca Monarch and Roach March. “Well, I did not anticipate the win coming down to the stretch in the initial stage. I knew it would have been a good song. I worked hard on it. It was a happy theme. It had all the elements and the ingredients to be a successful song in the initial stages. “As the season progressed, I realised that slowly but surely it was the overwhelming song of the Carnival and the most popular song, and most of the time that leads to a victory in the Road March.”

Roberts conceded that he was concerned that the song’s overwhelming early success would wane by Carnival Monday and Tuesday. “What I told Blaze and Jason (was that) over the years, I know from experience, (you) do not mind if a song comes out early. If it is a big song, once you perform that song in the fetes and at events, it is going to transfer the energy back into the song, even if it was dying on the radio.” Roberts added: “When people see (Palance performed) live, it breathes news life into the song and once you are doing a good performance, like JW and Blaze did, the underdogs, the life in the song was rejuvenated. Roberts said Palance, which was his third Road March hit, became more popular after more time passed. “It ended up just getting bigger and bigger.

The longer it was out, the more popular it got and the more people loved the song and the dance. The dance was initiated and everything skyrocketed because people like to do fun things on the road. “The whole thing was fun. Blaze was harassing me for a song like a year now, and I was like, you need to be serious Blaze, you need to talk to Jase and you guys need to be swift. I spoke to them and they assured me that they would be serious.”

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2010, 06:09:07 AM »
The wide margin of success between Palance and its nearest competitor in the 2010 Road March Competition reflected a weak contest and drop in standards among the competition’s participants, according to Palance song-writer, Kernal Roberts. “Anytime you have a runaway Road March (winner), like Palance, that means that the competition was not stiff and that means that the standards of the industry kind of dropped this year,”
I've been saying this for the entire Carnival season. It was the worst year for soca. For a soca artiste to be beaten by two radio hosts with only casual experience performing 'musically' the grade had to be real low this year. JW and Blaze deserved to win and that is the problem right there. 

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »
There is really nothing new or unique about the song Palance. Same Iwer George kinda riddim, Superblue jump and wave, Old Traffik/Nigel and Marvin Lewis moving to the left and right.....same bullshit of yester year. True lies, I agree it was her personal thoughts about grrr everything, and maybe not fit for a Road March, but what we will say about May May by Sparrow (1960)?  Anyway these I think were the other reasons why they won Road March - very short season, Machel Montano, Radio Mafia.

On wards to 2011 :beermug:

Another thing, if it wasn't for MacFarlene in Carnival this year, I would say that the carnival culture is dead. Boogize and Jit were right. But what Lana (Tribe) said that this is what the new generation of people want - bra and panty!

AirMan

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
MACHEL & DESTRA @ BEYONCE CONCERT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XAUGUtpMYE&feature=player_embedded

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/7XAUGUtpMYE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/7XAUGUtpMYE</a>

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:44:43 AM by Socapro »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
But ah still waiting to hear what kinda contract Destra have with Digicel that allow she to perform at a bmobile concert.... ??? ??? :-\ :-\

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »
But ah still waiting to hear what kinda contract Destra have with Digicel that allow she to perform at a bmobile concert.... ??? ??? :-\ :-\

Yuh mean she ex contract. We eh ready yet 4 dem kinda ting expect fall out. I feel Machel call she say yeh and 4get dat she is on d red team not d green 1.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

AirMan

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2010, 04:26:38 AM »
Official Video for Defosto "In a Palace State of Mind"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Divi0h--_HU&feature=related&nocache=1266833950257&ajax=1

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/Divi0h--_HU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/Divi0h--_HU</a>
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:31:00 AM by Socapro »

Offline dudette

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Machel & Destra 2010 (beyonce concert)
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hr-mU_cnpvc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hr-mU_cnpvc</a>
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:04:10 PM by dudette »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Machel & Destra 2010 (beyonce concert)
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010, 04:30:47 PM »

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »
So what the drama with Machel and Destra?...Everybody surprised that she came on stage?  can anyone explain?

Offline dudette

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
Been posted in this thread http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=48223.60

yeah thanks...but this is a better quality vid so its not really a repost *shrug*

I thought maybe this deserved its only thread...even if it buss...lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
So what the drama with Machel and Destra?...Everybody surprised that she came on stage?  can anyone explain?

Machel B MOBILE

Destrs Digicel

Is like mixin oil and water ask Brian Lara
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>