April 28, 2024, 05:54:35 PM

Author Topic: Upset Benjai exits Soca Monarch !!  (Read 2480 times)

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
Re: Upset Benjai exits Soca Monarch !!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:23 PM »
dis soca monarch business always have a bacchannal
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 07:12:31 PM »

always the same three people winning..think about how much top artists drop out the soca monarch over the years..Benjai is just another name on the list..I think the winners are already decided before the competition even start (jus my opinion)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »

always the same three people winning..think about how much top artists drop out the soca monarch over the years..Benjai is just another name on the list..I think the winners are already decided before the competition even start (jus my opinion)

was just about to say the same thing.. I mean cosign!

Before finals even start last year we know who win. Not much of a "competition"
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:35:27 PM »
well bunji bow out dis year so daiz a space in d top three dat open to anybody

but honestly sando prince, d top artistes are d ones who have d best songs.

when mankind comin out wid song call 'gorilla wine', or any iwer chune for dat matter , yuh really doh expect dem to win wid dat kinda filth dey spewin an callin soca music. 

i honestly think d winners are chosen after everybody sing dey chune  :-\

was just about to say the same thing.. I mean cosign!

Before finals even start last year we know who win. Not much of a "competition"

breds, beside d fact dat she was pregnant, fay ann totally mash up d place in d power category. best performance for d night, so i didnt see any cheating or favoritism there. d groovy catergory on d other hand, anybody cuda take it because most of them were up to par, but at d end, d fact she brought out calypso rose at d end totally gave her d edge.  :-\

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 02:57:43 AM »
What were the judging criteria?

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »
What were the judging criteria?

melody, lyrics, performance, crowd response

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »
Benjai coming with all-woman band
By JANELLE DE SOUZA Monday, February 15 2010

After placing third in the Groovy Soca Monarch competition last year, Benjai (Rodney Le Blanc) opted out of the competition at this year’s semi-final round, disappointing many of his fans. However, it was for his fans that he made the difficult decision not to perform at the Groovy semis.

Benjai explained that on the day of his rehearsal, the band did not know his music and it would have been unfair to his fans to perform at a level which was not his best. “My client was faced with a difficult position, when he turned up for rehearsals only to realise that the band did not know his music,” stated Benji’s manager, Brenn Mohammed.

“Without discrediting the credibility of the band, we found it impossible and unprofessional to have one band backing over 80 artistes. It is impossible to have a band learn the music of over 80 artistes in five days.”

Instead of playing a mediocre set, Benjai decided to withdraw from the competition completely.

Despite this unforeseen occurrence, Benjai was very visible . . . and audible for the 2010 Carnival season. He performed his 2010 contributions “My God, Woman and I”; “Last Jam”; “All Woman” and his other hits at Dawn on Carnival Saturday and was also due to be in action today at J’ouvert in south Trinidad and Undercover Promotions and their presentation Fun Time.

“Last Jam” was produced by Kareem Simpson and written by Benjai. In fact, all three songs were written by Benjai to honour women and uplift them, giving them the recognition he believes they deserve. “My God, Woman and I” was produced by Shawn Mitchell (Mr Roots).

“It speaks about my woman standing by my side so that it’s God, my woman and I going through what we are going through — the good the bad and the indifferent,” he explained.

“All Woman” was produced by Kernel “Kitchy” Roberts and Garett.

“The song is about me forming my all-female band. I only want women musicians and I’ll be the first Soca artiste to do something like this. I basically want to show that women can do the job just as good, and in some cases, even better than men. So as musicians, give them their respect because they can represent.” The band’s name is The Swanks and, even though they are still working on some logistics, they are planning a launch this year.

According to Benjai, the decision to have his own band stemmed from the fact that, when hired to perform he either sings on tracks — which doesn’t give him the opportunity to be very spontaneous and show his versatility as an artiste — or he tries to ‘borrow’ a band with which to rehearse.

“It becomes very difficult having to pull rehearsals with other bands who already have their own sets and it becomes a tedious process of trying to get them to learn their stuff and yours... case in point this year,” he stated.

“But with my own band, I can do a variety of different styles of music, not just my own. I often refer to myself as an entertainer not as an artiste and that’s what the people are going to be, entertained, every time Benjai and The Swanks step out on stage.”

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:35:22 PM »
“But with my own band, I can do a variety of different styles of music, not just my own. I often refer to myself as an entertainer not as an artiste and that’s what the people are going to be, entertained, every time Benjai and The Swanks step out on stage.”

What an unfortunate name for the band

I could jes see it now...

Allyuh goin and see Benjai and dem Skanks?  :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>