April 28, 2024, 05:39:40 AM

Author Topic: Inter-American Cup 1985  (Read 3009 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Inter-American Cup 1985
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:59:08 AM »
I came across this blog entry from last October after someone asked about this in the Goals Galore board.

It's in Spanish but you can get a googlenglish version here

Argentinos coronó en 1986 un gran ciclo de dos años de duración, ganando la Copa Interamericana en Trinidad & Tobago.

Argentinos Juniors: Jose Castro (left) gives a near perfect exhibition of ball control and readiness to pass during Wednesday night's Inter-American Cup final. At right is Defence Force defender Dexter Francis.

Hace ya cinco años, con la publicación del libro "Su hora más gloriosa" se daban a conocer las inéditas imágenes de Argentinos jugando en Trinidad & Tobago. Gracias a las gestiones realizadas por el historiador Edgardo Imas, se pudieron obtener y publicar en dicho libro estas fotos correspondientes a la publicación del viernes 12 de diciembre de 1986 del diario 'The Trinidad Guardian' de Trinidad & Tobago, que muestran con lujo de detalles el encuentro disputado dos días antes por el Defence Force -en la foto se puede ver la imagen del equipo triniteño-, campeón de la CONCACAF de 1985 cuando venció a Olimpia de Honduras y Argentinos Juniors, vencedor de la Copa Libertadores del mismo año donde superó al América de Cali de Colombia.

Salvo contadas excepciones, la Copa Interamericana se jugó siempre al año siguiente al que corresponde el trofeo. Debido a ello, y tras cuatro años sin ponerse en juego esta Copa -el último campeón hasta este partido fue la UNAM de México, que venció a Nacional de Uruguay tras tres encuentros- se volvió a disputar pero con la particularidad de definirse a partido único y en el terreno del equipo de la CONCACAF.

Defence Force

El miércoles 10 de diciembre fue el día establecido. Argentinos cerraba un gran ciclo de dos años al obtener este torneo, del que hubo muy poca información en los medios locales e internacionales. El Bicho alineó a un equipo que salía de memoria, con una sola modificación: Enrique Vidallé; Carmelo Villalba, José Luis Pavoni, Jorge Olguín y Adrián Domenech; Mario Videla, Sergio Batista y Emilio Commisso; José Castro, Armando Dely Valdés -reemplazante de Claudio Borghi y autor del único gol del partido- y Carlos Ereros. Antes de iniciarse el segundo tiempo Julián Infantino ingresó por Videla. El Director Técnico era Roberto Marcos Saporiti y estuvieron junto a él en el banco de suplentes: César Mendoza, Jorge Pellegrini, Carlos Javier Mac Allister y Domingo Irala Sarabia.

Jose Castro: (No. 7), the Argentinos Juniors right-winger, heads away during Wednesday night's Inter-American Cup final against the Defence Force at the National Stadium. Following up the play from left are Dexter Francis (No. 4), Roderick Gibbs, Julien Garcia and Anthony Delpeche. The Argentine Club won 1-0.

El único gol del encuentro, como quedó dicho, fue obra del panameño Armando Javier Dely Valdés sobre los 27 minutos del primer tiempo. El encuentro fue intenso y jugado bajo altas temperaturas, en un terreno que no estaba en buenas condiciones y ante un equipo centroamericano que fue alentado por más de 20 mil almas. El juez Hubert Tromp y sus asistentes eran oriundos de Aruba.

Entre los equipos argentinos que ganaron este torneo se encuentran Independiente, que fue vencedor en tres ocasiones, Estudiantes de La Plata, River Plate y Vélez Sarsfield que, al igual que Argentinos Juniors, la obtuvieron en una oportunidad. Además, Boca Juniors jugó una final pero fue derrotado por el América de México. La definición de esta Copa se jugó por última vez en 1998, cuando el DC United de Estados Unidos venció a Vasco Da Gama.

--
and here is Coop's photo from 1985 again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:08:10 AM by E-man »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Inter-American Cup 1985
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:27:34 AM »
Excellent work e-man...
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:11 PM »
can anyone gimmih a brief synopsis of what the article said??

ahh T&T in the 80's..when Tatil buildin was too tall and man pants was too short
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:05:31 PM »
Defence Force were CONCACAF champs for '85 beating out Olimpico of Honduras. They faced the winners of Copa Libertadores Argentinos Juniors.

Panamanian Armando Dely Valdes Javier scored the only goal in the 27th minute in very hot temperatures and lousy ground conditions and a partisan crowd of 20,000.

This cup was last played for in 1998 (DC United beat Basque Da Gama).

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:19:46 AM »
Defence Force were CONCACAF champs for '85 beating out Olimpico of Honduras. They faced the winners of Copa Libertadores Argentinos Juniors.

Panamanian Armando Dely Valdes Javier scored the only goal in the 27th minute in very hot temperatures and lousy ground conditions and a partisan crowd of 20,000.

Game was at Arima velodrome ...was it not ?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:22:49 AM »
...and it was played in 1986 ..just after Argentina won the wORLD cUP ... still the best display I have ever seen by a local club or national team against top class opposition.
The 1995 picture shown was  not for that game ..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:05:11 AM »
Jai,
      I was not there but the game was played in the HCS. That DF team to me is still one of the best team(local or national) that was ever assembled. Unfortunately, this tournament at that time did not have the incentives to entice the weaker country teams to really want to play in it. I remember Curtis Murrel telling me that DF had to put out  plenty money to play in that tournament and the returns were next to nothing. So they were not all that enthusiastic all the time. But now is a different story. There is some prize money now.

The AJ team was pretty good. They had acquire some good players after selling Diego. If DF had won I would have been surprised. The 1-0 score showed that it probaba ly was close game(anybody who was at that game??). About the line in the article  about a very partisan crowd. They are the last ones  to talk about crazy crowds. TT ain't have nothing on them when it comes to overzealous or sometimes disgusting crowd behaviour.

About the 1985 pix with Coops and the DF. It appears that some guys have a tizik about the pants. I sensing some homophobia by some of you guys. Everybody use to wear them. Look at Diego. It was not an issue. Women loved it. Styles come and go. But look at the physical size of that team. Not overly big, but not too small. They looked fit and trim.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
Jai,
      I was not there but the game was played in the HCS. That DF team to me is still one of the best team(local or national) that was ever assembled. Unfortunately, this tournament at that time did not have the incentives to entice the weaker country teams to really want to play in it. I remember Curtis Murrel telling me that DF had to put out  plenty money to play in that tournament and the returns were next to nothing. So they were not all that enthusiastic all the time. But now is a different story. There is some prize money now.

The AJ team was pretty good. They had acquire some good players after selling Diego. If DF had won I would have been surprised. The 1-0 score showed that it probaba ly was close game(anybody who was at that game??). About the line in the article  about a very partisan crowd. They are the last ones  to talk about crazy crowds. TT ain't have nothing on them when it comes to overzealous or sometimes disgusting crowd behaviour.

About the 1985 pix with Coops and the DF. It appears that some guys have a tizik about the pants. I sensing some homophobia by some of you guys. Everybody use to wear them. Look at Diego. It was not an issue. Women loved it. Styles come and go. But look at the physical size of that team. Not overly big, but not too small. They looked fit and trim.

Deeks
You know I see plenty full moons already ...but here goes ..
The game was played at the ARIMA VELODROME ... I was there !
The article referred to the national stadium ..well it was in a stadium and it was National ..but it was not the national stadium .or de Hasley crawford as we now know it.. I could tell you who scored the first official goal in de national stadium as well ...because i saw it .
You see I around before google ...so i could  sometimes get it wrong because the memory could fail ...but I dont think I am wrong on this ocassion ...The breeze was too cold that night for me to forget ..as anyone who has been to football in Arima velodrome could verify.
Dont forget Steve Williams ran 9.8 secs in the 100metres there to edge out Crawfie just before the olympics which Crawfie won.
Diego had long since left Agentina juniors ....he was already playing in Italy for Napoli and had led them to their best two seasons .
The short pants ting was still around but if you feel dat was bad ...take a look at de argentina 1978 team ....
Still remember Baptista , who missed the WC final vs Germany along with 4 other first team starters , slling dummies all over the place ...man was getting beat simply by players letting the ball run ...yet the defence force team showed great discipline and never lost their shape ...they played good football ..as I mentioned earlier ..way ahead of their time .. They matched the argentinians in every aspect ..technical, tactical and physical.
From then on the defence Force team was known as a knock side ..a far cry from their earlier reputation of boom boom and long throw football ...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »

The caption from the Guardian mentions the National Stadium.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »

Well then I will have to concede ...ah really getting ole yes ...like ah kyah even remember where I see de game .

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well then I will have to concede ...ah really getting ole yes ...like ah kyah even remember where I see de game .

[/quote]

Jai definitely at the National Stadium i went to that one.  I also want to say Diego's younger brother Hugo was on that team but not sure if he travelled and played in that game. 

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »
Sena ah APB for Coops ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>