April 18, 2024, 02:21:58 PM

Author Topic: Pompey ask to sell players outside of the Transfer windows  (Read 1102 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Pompey ask to sell players outside of the Transfer windows
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:25:32 PM »
Pompey ask to sell players
Ailing club keen to do business outside transfer window

Portsmouth have asked the Premier League for permission to sell players outside the transfer window.

Pompey's crippling financial problems have been well documented this season and they handed over a statement of their affairs to the High Court on Wednesday.

Having survived a winding-up order last week, the South Coast club will return to court on 1st March to learn their fate.

At the original hearing the court heard that Portsmouth owed more than £11.5million in unpaid taxes with representatives from HMRC informing the court that Pompey are insolvent.

Cash in
As well as looking for a new owner, Portsmouth have now contacted the Premier League about the possibility of selling players outside the transfer window, which closed on February 1st.

They would like to cash in on some of their stars immediately and not wait until the summer in an effort to pay their bills.

A club spokesman said: "I can confirm we have put in a request to the Premier League to sell players outside the transfer window. It is something we are exploring."

Reports suggest Portsmouth would try to sell Algerian international Nadir Belhadj, midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng and defender Marc Wilson.

Such an unprecedented idea would have to be approved by both the Premier League and Fifa.

Fifa later received correspondence from the Football Association about Portsmouth's request and are expected to make an announcement within the next 24 hours.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5957469,00.html

I also read some of the post on this topic, and there are people saying that they should get rid of the transfer windows. What do you all think? I personally feel that would be stupid and it would have a transfer  speculation happening everyday. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the NFL have some kinda thing like that, where players are actually traded or sold during the season?

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pompey ask to sell players outside of the Transfer windows
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »
IMO, the transfer window actually protects clubs by preventing them from making rash decisions in the hunt for glory towards the end of a season.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »
Portsmouth's request was rejected by the premier league so they need to find cash somewhere else.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:34:43 AM »
Portsmouth's request was rejected by the premier league so they need to find cash somewhere else.

A good decision in my opinion.  Otherwise it would set the precedent for other clubs to follow and they woulda come up with some pretty good reasons too.  Then what would have been the purpose of a transfer window ?

It would make all the other clubs exercise more control in their financial dealings.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

1]; } ?>