April 23, 2024, 09:44:59 PM

Author Topic: Massive earthquake strikes Chile  (Read 4015 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Massive earthquake strikes Chile
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:32:59 AM »
Massive earthquake strikes Chile
A massive earthquake with a magnitude of 8.8 has hit central Chile, killing at least 78 people, ministers say.

The quake struck at 0634 GMT about 115km (70 miles) north-east of the city of Concepcion and 325km south-west of the capital, Santiago.

President Michelle Bachelet declared a "state of catastrophe" in affected areas and appealed for calm.

People are moving to higher ground on Easter Island amid fears of a tsunami. Alerts are in place across the Pacific.

Tsunami warnings have been issued for Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, Central America and Pacific island nations.

Santiago airport has been closed and all flights cancelled until further notice, airline officials say. Flights are being diverted to Mendoza in Argentina.

Aftershocks

The earthquake is the biggest to hit Chile in 50 years.

Giving details of the latest casualties, President Bachelet said 34 of the deaths were in Maule, 13 in the Santiago municipality, 12 in the O'Higgins region, 10 in Biobio, five in Araucania and four in Valparaiso.

She said these were preliminary figures and could rise.

President Bachelet said: "People should remain calm. We're doing everything we can with all the forces we have. Any information [we have] we will share immediately."

She said a "wave of large proportion" had affected the Juan Fernandez island group, reaching halfway into one inhabited area. Two aid ships are reported to be on their way.

Ms Bachelet said that "high tidal waves" could also reach Easter Island soon.

"Because of that we are evacuating people living in low-lying areas," she said.

Ms Bachelet said if there were more aftershocks, people in coastal areas of Chile should go to higher ground.

POWERFUL EARTHQUAKES
 Haiti, 12 Jan 2010: About 230,000 people die after shallow 7.0 magnitude quake
 Sumatra, Indonesia, 26 Dec 2004: 9.2 magnitude. Triggers Asian tsunami that kills nearly 250,000 people
 Alaska, US, 28 March 1964: 9.2 magnitude; 128 people killed. Anchorage badly damaged
 Chile, south of Concepcion, 22 May 1960: 9.5 magnitude. About 1,655 deaths. Tsunami hits Hawaii and Japan
 Kamchatka, NE Russia, 4 Nov 1952: 9.0 magnitude
She warned people not to travel on roads in affected areas as a number of bridges were down.

Chilean officials said the worst affected town appeared to be Parral, close to the epicentre.

Television pictures showed a major bridge at Concepcion had collapsed into the Biobio river.

Chilean television said there had been a fire involving chemicals in the town of Colina, 20km north of Santiago, but that it was now under control.

Several hospitals have had to be evacuated in a number of areas, including Santiago, because of structural damage.

One resident of Chillan, 100km from the epicentre, told Chilean television the shaking there lasted about two minutes.

Other residents of Chillan and Curico said communications were down but running water was still available.

Many of Chile's news websites and radio stations are still not accessible.

Buildings in Santiago were reported to have shaken for between 10 and 30 seconds, with the loss of electricity and communications.

Officials said damage to Santiago international airport's terminal would keep it closed for at least 24 hours.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the earthquake struck at a depth of about 35km.

It also recorded eight aftershocks, the largest of 6.9 magnitude at 0801 GMT.

The USGS said tsunami effects had been observed at Valparaiso, west of Santiago, with a wave height of 1.69m above normal sea level.

One journalist speaking to Chilean national television from the city of Temuco, 600km south of Santiago, said many people there had left their homes, determined to spend the rest of the night outside. Some people on the streets were in tears.

A university professor in Santiago, Cristian Bonacic, said that this was a massive quake but that the cities seemed to have resisted well. Internet communications were working but not mobile phones.

Chile is highly vulnerable to earthquakes as it is situated on the Pacific "Rim of Fire", on the edge of the Pacific and South American plates.

Chile suffered the biggest earthquake of the 20th century when a 9.5 magnitude quake struck the city of Valdivia in 1960, killing 1,655 people.

Are you in Chile? Did you experience the earthquake? Send us your comments, pictures and video.

Send your pictures to yourpics@bbc.co.uk or text them to +44 7725 100 100. If you have a large file you can upload here.

At no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.

Read the terms and conditions

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/8540289.stm

Published: 2010/02/27 12:15:15 GMT

© BBC MMX
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
Re: Massive earthquake strikes Chile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
Can anyone confirm or hopefully deny any truth to trini expectin an earthquake today? My aunt jus tell me that my cousin call from trini and say an earthquake expected in the next 12 hours. She's american recently move to trini so I don't know if she jus hear somebody talk tha talk and buy it or if is a serious report.
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »
Can anyone confirm or hopefully deny any truth to trini expectin an earthquake today? My aunt jus tell me that my cousin call from trini and say an earthquake expected in the next 12 hours. She's american recently move to trini so I don't know if she jus hear somebody talk tha talk and buy it or if is a serious report.

???  miss cloe said that or what?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:41:27 AM »

you can't predict an earthquake.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:46:21 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100227/ap_on_re_us/quake_tsunami_8

Hawaii blasts sirens, warning of possible tsunami

By JAYMES SONG, Associated Press Writer Jaymes Song, Associated Press Writer – 26 mins ago
EWA BEACH, Hawaii – A tsunami threatened the Pacific Rim on Saturday, with an 8.8-magnitude earthquake off Chile sending potentially deadly waves across the ocean at the speed of a jetliner.

Sirens blared in Hawaii to alert residents to the impending waves, with authorities asking people living near the water to evacuate. On several South Pacific islands hit by a tsunami last fall, police began evacuations of the coast.

The first waves in Hawaii are expected to hit shortly after 11 a.m. Saturday (4 p.m. EST; 2100 GMT) and measure roughly 8 feet (2.5 meters) at Hilo. Most Pacific Rim nations however did not order evacuations, but advised people in low-lying areas to be on the lookout.

Unlike other tsunamis in recent years, emergency officials along the Pacific have hours to prepare and possibly evacuate residents.

"We've got a lot of things going for us," said Charles McCreery, the director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, which issues warnings to almost every country around the Pacific Rim and to most of the Pacific island states. "We have a reasonable lead time.

"We should be able to alert everyone in harm's way to move out of the evacuation zones," he said.

In Hawaii, boats and people near the coast were being evacuated. Hilo International Airport, located along the coast, was closed. In Honolulu, residents lined up at supermarkets to stock up on water, canned food and batteries. Cars lined up 15 long at several gas stations.

"These are dangerous, dangerous events," said John Cummings, spokesman for the Honolulu Emergency Management Department.

In Tonga, where nine people died in a Sept. 29 tsunami, police and defense forces began evacuating people from low-lying coastal areas as they warned residents that tsunami waves about three feet (one meter) high could wash ashore within three hours.

"I can hear the church bells ringing to alert the people," National Disaster Office deputy director Mali'u Takai said. "We will move up to 50,000 people to the interior and away from the coasts."

Waves 6 feet (1.8 meter) above normal hit near Concepcion, Chile shortly after the quake.

A tsunami warning — the highest alert level — was also in effect for Guam, American Samoa, Samoa and dozens of other Pacific islands. An advisory — the lowest level — has been extended to include Oregon, Washington state, parts of Alaska, and coastal British Colombia.

The White House is keeping close watch on the Chilean quake, which has raised the possibility of a tsunami striking Hawaii. Presidential press secretary Robert Gibbs said the U.S. stands ready to help the Chilean people "in this hour of need."

American Samoa Lt. Gov. Aitofele Sunia activated emergency services and called on residents of shoreline villages to move to higher ground. Police in Samoa issued a nationwide alert to begin coastal evacuations. The tsunami is expected to reach the islands Saturday morning.

Meanwhile, disaster management officials in Fiji said they have been warned to expect waves of as high as 7.5 feet (2.3 meters) to hit the northern and eastern islands of the archipelago and the nearby Tonga islands.

A lower-grade tsunami advisory was in effect for the coast of California and an Alaskan coastal area from Kodiak to Attu islands. Tsunami Center officials said they did not expect the advisory would be upgraded to a warning.

Waves were likely to hit Asian, Australian and New Zealand shores within 24 hours of Saturday's quake. A tsunami wave can travel at up to 600 mph, said Jenifer Rhoades, tsunami program manager at the National Weather Service in Washington, DC.

The sirens in Hawaii will also be sounded again three hours prior to the estimated arrival time.

McCreery said he didn't know how big the waves will be, but expected them to be the largest to hit Hawaii since 1964.

"If you're in an evacuation zone, police or civil defense volunteers would instruct you to evacuate, or instructions will come out over the radio and TV," said Shelly Ichishita, spokeswoman for the state's civil defense.

If coastal areas are evacuated, visitors in Waikiki would be moved to higher floors in their hotels, rather than moved out of the tourist district, which could cause gridlock.

Some Pacific nations in the warning area were heavily damaged by a tsunami last year.

On Sept. 29, a tsunami spawned by a magnitude-8.3 earthquake killed 34 people in American Samoa, 183 in Samoa and nine in Tonga. Scientists later said that wave was 46 feet (14 meters) high.

Past South American earthquakes have had deadly effects across the Pacific.

A tsunami after a magnitude-9.5 quake that struck Chile in 1960, the largest earthquake ever recorded, killed about 140 people in Japan, 61 in Hawaii and 32 in the Philippines.

That tsunami was about 3.3 to 13 feet (one to four meters) in height, Japan's Meteorological Agency said.

Japanese public broadcaster NHK quoted earthquake experts as saying the tsunami would likely be tens of centimeters (inches) high and reach Japan in about 22 hours.

A tsunami of 28 centimeters (11 inches) was recorded after a magnitude-8.4 earthquake near Chile in 2001.

The Meteorological Agency said it was still investigating the likelihood of a tsunami in Japan and did not issue a formal coastal warning.

Australia, meanwhile, was put on a tsunami watch.

The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami warning Saturday night for a "potential tsunami threat" to New South Wales state, Queensland state, Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island.

Any potential wave would not hit Australia until Sunday morning local time, it said.

The Philippine Institute of Vulcanology and Seismology issued a low-level alert saying people should await further notice of a possible tsunami. It did not recommend evacuations.

Seismologist Fumihiko Imamura, of Japan's Tohoku University, told NHK that residents near ocean shores should not underestimate the power of a tsunami even though they may be generated by quakes on the other side of the ocean.

"There is the possibility that it could reach Japan without losing its strength," he said.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
That is massive. My aunt and uncle moved back to Germany from there just a year or so ago, thank God.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 01:03:30 PM »
If Manning seerwoman say Quake I go be worried.... If no official word... do ah Wim...!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 02:09:16 PM »

Apparently there's some rumor going around Trinidad that the island is on full alert for an earthquake. ::)
I'm sure HiLo, pricemart and dey corner grocery store busy with people....

http://www.uwiseismic.com/NewsDetails.aspx?id=151

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »

you can't predict an earthquake.

U would tink evrybuddy did knw dat by now

Apparently there's some rumor going around Trinidad that the island is on full alert for an earthquake. ::)

I in TNT nboody eh call meh 2 check  meh supply of crix
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES
ST. AUGUSTINE, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, WEST INDIES
SEISMIC RESEARCH CENTRE

Telephone: +1 (868) 662-4659 Fax: +1 (868) 663-9293 Email: info@uwiseismic.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Phone: +1-868-662-4659 ext 23
E-mail: staceyedwards@uwiseismic.com

Trinidad earthquake rumour is false
St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. –February 27th 2010, 1:00pm – The UWI Seismic
Research Centre has been informed of a rumour that an earthquake is about to affect Trinidad.
The SRC wishes to inform the public that this rumour is false.
The Seismic Research Centre has no evidence to suggest that Trinidad is more likely, within the
next few hours, to have an earthquake, than it was before. The SRC has issued no release to this
effect. Earthquakes cannot currently be predicted.
The Magnitude 8.8 earthquake which occurred offshore Maule, Chile on February 27th is not
directly related to activity in Trinidad and Tobago or the wider Caribbean and should not have
any effect on the region.
The tsunami waves which have been generated by the Chile earthquake are expected to affect the
Pacific Ocean and there is no imminent threat of this tsunami affecting Trinidad and Tobago or
the wider Caribbean.
For more earthquake safety information contact your local national disaster management agency
or visit our website at www.uwiseismic.com.
NEWS RELEASE
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »

steups, look at the mileage between T&T and Chile. just now yuh will hear T&T on tsunami alert.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »
Wha' dey seer woman saying? Or does she predict for Patos only???

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »

steups, look at the mileage between T&T and Chile. just now yuh will hear T&T on tsunami alert.

And if there's one to hit Trinidad, which direction will it come from? Dunno that is why I asking.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 06:33:04 PM »

And if there's one to hit Trinidad, which direction will it come from? Dunno that is why I asking.

Chile on west of south America, unless that tsunami flying in the sky , it not reaching Trinidad way in the east
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »

doh study it, meh government building a tsunami shelter in taruba that could hold all a we in case something liek this were to happen..
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 07:32:20 PM »
This was the preliminary forecasted energy map of the tsunami warning

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »

doh study it, meh government building a tsunami shelter in taruba that could hold all a we in case something liek this were to happen..

De alternative site is in Guanapo Heights....

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »

:D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »
I wonder what Chile did to deserve this? Maybe Pat Robertson could give us the answer.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

Chile on west of south America, unless that tsunami flying in the sky , it not reaching Trinidad way in the east
 :rotfl: plus there is a landmass separating TnT from Chile.

Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 08:21:31 PM »
allyuh fellas neva do geography in school.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

AirMan

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:57 AM »
Local Chilean National Speaks with phone communications in a mess in the hours after the quake in Chile, one of two Chile Nationals spoke exclusively with TV6 today, reliving the ordeal of trying to contact her family..Video..http://www.cbeanmedia.org/TV6NEWS_F4V/Links/local_chilean_worried_about_TT_2010_02_27.htm

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 06:36:48 AM »

De alternative site is in Guanapo Heights....

:rotfl: :rotfl:
All yuh know how to take serious thing and make joke eh...lawd fadder....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
We all know we ent ready.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »
I wonder what Chile did to deserve this? Maybe Pat Robertson could give us the answer.

Brilliant!

I wonder what the young lady who works for him thinks about his commentary. Cyah imagine she that daft.

AirMan

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »

Chilean military try to restore order amid reports of looting
..http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=18730

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »
NASA said that the eartquake may have shifted the earth's axis and thus shortened the days by 1.26 ms  :o

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35662192/ns/technology_and_science-space/?GT1=43001

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

AirMan

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
Prime Minister Manning offers Support to Chile..http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=18710

AirMan

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oXpkspBttbQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oXpkspBttbQ</a>
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:57:43 PM by AirMan »

AirMan

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
^^ Video proper now

1]; } ?>