April 27, 2024, 04:53:52 PM

Author Topic: I eh know why ah even bothering to post this but.....  (Read 656 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
I eh know why ah even bothering to post this but.....
« on: February 28, 2010, 06:46:25 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161601664

Officer critical after shooting
...kills gunman at home during robbery attempt

Sunday, February 28th 2010

The callousness of criminal elements and their blatant disregard for the lives of citizens and that of law enforcement officers have left a police constable warded in critical condition at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, fighting for his life and one of his attackers dead.

Constable Michael Rowley, an officer with six years experience, was shot outside his Tenth Street West, Casselton, Trincity, home around 9.50 p.m. on Friday while liming with a group of people.
Rowley was once attached to the Maracas/St Joseph Police Station and is currently assigned to Special Branch.

His shooter has been identified as Maloney resident Andre Eccles who died at the scene, clutching a gold chain which was swiped off Rowley’s neck. Police reports state that a car drove past the group of limers and parked a short distance away. Eccles emerged with a gun in hand and announced a robbery.

He proceeded to snatch the chain from around Rowley’s neck and then started robbing others in the group. As Eccles proceeded to run away, Rowley withdrew his police-issued firearm and identified himself as a police officer. He then called on Eccles to stop. Eccles immediately turned in the direction of the officer, pointed his firearm and started shooting, Rowley was hit in the stomach.

However, Rowley managed to shoot back, injuring Eccles. The car from which Eccles had emerged, was driven off. Rowley was rushed to hospital where he underwent emergency surgery yesterday afternoon to have the bullet removed. Following the incident, Acting Commissioner of Police James Philbert along with Cpl Learie Figaro and Constable Sunil Ramoutar and other officers visited the scene. A revolver along with three rounds of ammunition was recovered.

Speaking with Sunday Express mere moments after visiting the injured officer at hospital, Philbert appealed for his officers to exercise caution when conducting their duties. ’I have expressed my concern, and though my officers are committed to doing their jobs, they need to be careful and take the necessary lawful action when faced with danger,’ Philbert said.

Adding, ’the manner in which the robbery was conducted; the officer identified himself and the shooter turned around and shot him, says alot that the criminals have no respect for citizens and law enforcement officers,’ Philbert said.

Philbert said following the sequence of events, Rowley had no choice but to use his firearm, and he wished to commend Rowley on his bravery and lamented that had others in the group tried to subdue the shooter, there is no telling what might have occurred. Philbert further said investigations are continuing and officers are working along certain lines in order to apprehend other suspects.

So far for the year, eight persons have been shot dead by officers, and several officers have been attacked during the execution of their duties, the majority of whom were warded at hospitals.

-Denyse Renne

*sigh*   NEXT...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>