March 28, 2024, 03:38:24 AM

Author Topic: Crimes News Thread  (Read 81997 times)

Offline Oz

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Crimes News Thread
« on: October 13, 2005, 10:24:40 PM »
Yahoo report telling it like it is.  We could do widout dis kind ah $hitty publicity though.  Dem f**king criminals bwoy jus know how to f**k tings up fuh everybody.  Check link below
  http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051013/lf_nm/caribbean_crime_dc

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (Reuters) - Soaring murder rates, kidnappings and exploding trash bins have two Caribbean tourist playgrounds on edge, with business owners pleading for police protection and foreign governments warning travelers to be wary.

The important tourism sectors in Trinidad and Tobago and in Jamaica could be hard hit if governments do not act soon, business leaders say. But so far Caribbean residents, not tourists, have borne the brunt of the crime surge.

"The situation of crime in the region today scares the living daylights out of every one of us," the president of the Caribbean Hotel Association, Bethia Parle, said recently in Trinidad.

In Jamaica, owners shut their businesses for a day in May to protest the high crime rate. The island of 2.7 million people has had more than 1,400 murders so far this year, already outnumbering the total for all of last year.

In Trinidad and Tobago, the violent-death toll is edging toward a record 300 and a surge in kidnappings plagues the twin-island nation.

The U.S. State Department has warned Americans to avoid Trinidad's capital on certain days because of trash bin bombings that have occurred on the 10th and 11th of the month for the last three months, injuring more than a dozen people.

Britain, Canada and Australia have also warned their citizens about robberies, violent attacks and kidnappings in Trinidad and Tobago.

At the urging of business groups, Prime Minister Patrick Manning is negotiating with Scotland Yard and the     FBI to set up units in Port of Spain to help local police fight crime.

Businesses are closing in Trinidad and families are emigrating or sending their children abroad, according to opposition leader and former Prime Minister Basdeo Panday.

"We have a nation of frightened people," Panday said.

HANG HEADS IN SHAME

Businessman Nicholas Galt said crime is foremost on the mind of every citizen, every business person and every investor in the nation of 1.3 million.

"Trinidad and Tobago can hang its head in shame on a count of over 280 murders, over 160 kidnappings, and over 11,300 serious reported crimes to date for 2005," said Galt, president of the American Chamber of Commerce of Trinidad and Tobago.

"Pit this against a (crime) detection rate of approximately 22 percent and a conviction rate of below 10 percent. The result: failure."

Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and other Caribbean countries blame the problem in part on their location, along shipping routes linking the major cocaine producers of South America with the major consumers of North America and Western Europe.

Authorities have seized 6 tons of cocaine in Trinidad's territorial waters since August and believe that represents less than 10 percent of the amount shipped annually. Jamaica's national security minister, Peter Phillips, estimated 100 to 120 metric tons of cocaine are transshipped through Jamaica annually.

Drug proceeds are used to buy illegal arms and put sophisticated arsenals in the hands of competing gangs, in turn fueling the murder rate and driving the wave of kidnappings, Trinidad's prime minister said. Drugs also feed corruption.

"There can be no doubt as to the debilitating effect of kidnapping on the law-abiding majority, the fear and anxiety it creates and the extent to which it contributes to the perception that our country is not safe," Manning said.

Jamaica's Phillips called the international drug trade "the tap root of violent crime in Jamaica."

"Narcotics trafficking has spawned a criminal elite that is fighting to control a budget the same size as that presented in Parliament by our minister of finance, but without any of the obligations for debt, employment and services, which is placed on the elected government," Phillips said.

The problem is compounded by criminals deported to their Caribbean homelands from the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States, Manning and Phillips both believe.

In the last decade, 23,703 Jamaicans were returned to Jamaica from overseas. The majority -- 16,833 -- were deported for criminal offenses, and drug crimes were the most prevalent, Phillips said.

"We believe these individuals may help to facilitate the illegal drug trade through the establishment of transnational criminal networks. So, in essence deportations facilitate and worsen the problems linked to the trade in drugs and guns," Phillips said.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:52:10 AM by Flex »

Offline trinibug

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yahoo Headline Report on Crime in T&T and Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 08:17:05 AM »
Steups, doh take it on.
If is one thing the internet reveal, is just how racist this world still is. And now that people can post anonymously, they feel free to speak they mind. When anybody tell me that racism doh exist all I di is point them to a few websites.

This isn't to say that black people don't have issues. - We have to acknowledge that too.
Must rhyme with an O

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 09:24:34 AM »
Doe read that if yuh ent want to get vex today.......I sure half of them people posting doe have a passport and never take a drive out they state.

Doe study them!

We live in Paradise down here. ;D

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 10:15:34 AM »
Doe read that if yuh ent want to get vex today.......I sure half of them people posting doe have a passport and never take a drive out they state.

Doe study them!

We live in Paradise down here. ;D

dem lying people in Trinidad living in paradise!!!!!!.. Paradise ?.. Trinidad ?...Jamaica??>.
 Dats de f**king problem wid Trini's when man talk de truth people a gwan bout dem lying .. we all know T&T is in a bad state right now..stop lie to yu bloodclaut self.. T&T and Jamaica badd nuh Rass.. I tell mi Kids dont visit T&T or Jamaica at all....I will visit becya mi  dun live mi life , but I Refuse to have my Kids visit Trinidad or Jamaica.. De f**king place is innah mess!!!!!Face de facts and shut yu flicking mouth.. Trinidad nice Yes.. Jamaica Nice yes..But boosman I happy I living a fareign!!!!!!!!!!I a trying to get Kidnapped by cops!!!!!!!
warmonga...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:50:43 PM by Tallman »
Black Lives Matter..

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 12:27:47 PM »
yeah, ah find alot on this site in the DENIAL stage. might be they cyah handle "fareign" views on they bizness. well, they the ones have to live with it...

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 05:51:20 AM »
Having a u.s. passport or citizenship is a insurance policy for most caribbean people,but lookout there's an article I read where dual citizenship might be a thing of the past they say no more 50% american, yuh see we as caribbean people when the heat is on we look for an outlet,an off we go to the more economically viable countries,and look behind you everybody following the pattern,I heard in the backdrop somebody say we should fightback for our country our kids against crime that's pervasive all over the caribbean,yeah they talking that but only when they far away from the homefront it's easy to be objective.

"WE PRETEND TO BE REAL,TO BE LEARNING,TO BE PREPARING OURSELVES FOR LIFE,WE MIMIC MEN OF THE NEW WORLD."       

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Crime situation in T&T.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 12:29:44 AM »
Story taken from Yahoo! UK. Dis is not really d type of international press we need....

Police to help battle crime in Trinidad

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (Reuters) - Police officers from Scotland Yard are being dispatched to the Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago to help fight rising crime, the government said on Thursday.

The Ministry of National Security said 39 officers would arrive next month for two- to three-year stints working alongside local police.

The energy-rich twin-island republic of 1.1 million people in the southeastern Caribbean, a former British colony, has seen high murder rates and a spate of kidnappings-for-ransom in recent years.

Eighty-one people have been murdered so far this year.

Local security officials blame drug traffickers and gangs for the high crime rate.

Last September, Prime Minister Patrick Manning disclosed that talks were being held with Scotland Yard and the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation to have offices set up in Port of Spain.

FBI officers have worked with local police on a few major cases.

Jamaica, another crime-scarred Caribbean nation and former British colony, has also hired British police officers to help it stop a drug trade-fuelled surge in murders. More than 1,600 people -- a new record -- were murdered on the island nation of 2.7 million people last year.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: Yahoo story on Crime in Trinidad
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 12:32:09 AM »
Ryan it on the Trinidad Newsday newspaper also.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/stories.php?article_id=34014

We almost reach where we going....almost.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yahoo story on Crime in Trinidad
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 07:35:16 AM »
Ay ah shoulda read dis first oui.....anyway, I happy fuh dem to try something oui....anyting

However, for a small country blessed with so much wealth, extra security and bigger jails are a band-aid solution in my opinion
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
All yuh see de Express today?....
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 04:06:39 AM »
Chris Anthony Joseph, a 24-year-old chemical engineer who just wanted to enjoy a night out at one of Woodbrook's newest liming spots, the Corner Bar, had his life cut short by a lone gunman after midnight yesterday.

A man and a woman patron were also injured in the shooting. They were both in stable condition, police said last night.

The shooting occurred inside the trendy Corner Bar, at the corner of Gatacre Street and Ariapita Avenue, while it was crowded with patrons, many of whom were young adults just like Joseph who ended up ducking for cover.

The gunman escaped.

Joseph was due to leave Trinidad next week to take up a job in Mexico, his mother Cherry-Ann Daniel said at her Pranz Gardens, Claxton Bay, home. He was the eldest of her three children and was the father of a five-month-old daughter, Jaden.

Daniel said he had recently resigned from bpTT to take up the job in Mexico. He was described as a "quiet, loving man."

"He was always pointing me in the right direction," said Joseph's 19-year-old brother, Adrian Daniel who arrived at Corner Bar less than an hour after the shooting.

Daniel pointed to Joseph's Mazda 3 car that was parked right at the corner in front of the Corner Bar and said he received a call from a friend about the shooting.

Daniel said he was studying for a Physics degree exam, which he was to take today.

The Corner Bar has been opened for less than six months and the shooting occurred less than an hour after an a row which left one man with a wound to his head.

Police said the injured patron made no complaint to management and did not appear to want the police involved but instead returned with a gun. "The fella just get beat up. Somebody saw the fight happening and called the police. He came back and handled his business," one patron said.

The police confirmed a Rapid Response Unit did respond to the call regarding the dispute and eyewitnesses said they searched some young men and subsequently left.

A senior police officer said yesterday the police could not say as yet whether Joseph was involved in the altercation or whether he or the two injured patrons were a specific target of the gunman.

"We just heard shots and just jumped and fell to the floor," one patron said.

"The shots sounded like fire crackers It sounded like eight or nine shots," another patron said.

Just minutes after the shooting, the police as well as units from the Special Anti-Crime Unit of Trinidad and Tobago (SAUTT) arrived on the scene.

SAUTT was recently given responsibility to solve all gang-related homicides

The police, led by senior officers including Inspector Jerry Holder, cordoned off the area from the corners of Gatacre Street and Ariapita Avenue, Gatacre Street and Buller Street and Ariapita Avenue and French Street. Buller Street is where I grew up......

By 1.15 a.m., Crime Scene Unit officers arrived and donned their special white suits to begin collecting evidence.

The Homicide Bureau is continuing investigations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'No safe place in Woodbrook'
-JB

Monday, October 20th 2008

Corner Bar co-owner Chris Leacock said while he was saddened by the fatal shooting that occurred inside the bar after midnight yesterday, he wants to have it open for business tonight.

"Business as usual. We ain't close," Leacock said.

He made the declaration in an interview at around 2 am yesterday on Ariapita Avenue, as police officers from the Crime Scene Unit were gathering evidence in an effort to catch the man who shot and killed Chris Anthony Joseph at the bar.

The shooting left two other patrons with gunshot wounds.

Leacock had been serving as a dj on Saturday night as part of Corner Bar's 80s and 90s music night event.

Leacock said he left the bar just before midnight and was not there when the shooting or the argument that happened before it occurred.

He said he was informed of what happened by a phone call and rushed back to the bar and was trying to come to terms with what had occurred.

"It have no reason for that kind of thing to happen here," he said.

Leacock said the Corner Bar official ly opened for business on May 26 and has since gained a trendy clientele.

There had been a regular uniformed police presence outside the Corner Bar up, which has at least two entrance points, until about two weeks ago.

A senior police officer said yesterday this was because the Corner Bar had been operating on a provisional liquor licence but when it received its general liquor licence about two weeks ago, the police were no longer required to be there.

There were no uniformed police or any security personnel visible at the Corner Bar when, and after, it opened for business on Saturday night.

Leacock said security at Corner Bar would be reassessed but noted, "It have no amount of security you could have to stop a man from firing five shots at three people in an area that is the most policed corner in Woodbrook."

One former Woodbrook resident who is lives in the United States and works as a travel agent, who was at Corner Bar on Saturday night, said he had told people at a barbershop earlier in the day that Woodbrook is safe despite their insistence that it no longer was.

"There is no place in Woodbrook safe. I could have been a victim," the patron said.
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: All yuh see de Express today?....
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »
Yeah.....ah see it..... :'(

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »
This shit pisses me off.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 12:41:13 PM »
allyuh see dat picture on the front page with d man dead on d ground and people going about their business as usual? express like bomb now.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »
No me eh c it but I hear bout it on d news last nite
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:21:16 PM »
allyuh see dat picture on the front page with d man dead on d ground and people going about their business as usual? express like bomb now.

Sad... and maddening all at once.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »

Sad... and maddening all at once.

de red man getting de "rub dong" is ah fella from around by me... but look closely at the pic... yuh go see de man who get shoot still dey on de ground...

what de f**k going on in Trini?????

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »
A few of the forumites were present when this shit went down sat. night, myself included. Not a nice feeling, but again I ask, WHAT IS BEING DONE??????? I asked this months ago and was told that the powers that be do not want to implement a heavy handed system of crime control. I suspect this is because they have 'guests' coming next year for two big conferences. So they doh want things to look bad. So lewwe let more die in the mean time. We really f*cking like it so down here yes!
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 05:42:45 PM »
A few of the forumites were present when this shit went down sat. night, myself included. Not a nice feeling, but again I ask, WHAT IS BEING DONE??????? I asked this months ago and was told that the powers that be do not want to implement a heavy handed system of crime control. I suspect this is because they have 'guests' coming next year for two big conferences. So they doh want things to look bad. So lewwe let more die in the mean time. We really f*cking like it so down here yes!

Glad to hear that you are alright Swima...

yeah, I grow up right around dey in Woodbrook...

dat used to be Romany's Supermarket... or "Camacho" as we used to call it...

yeah breds dat is a real shocker dey boy... ah hope yuh not too traumatized, and could still allow yuhself to really handle it nuh... if yuh think yuh might need some help... don't be fraid to seek it... I was in London, the time Kojo Yenga get killed, and as much as I is a Trini, to know that I pass dat same corner maybe 10 minutes before leave meh with dat same "not a nice feeling" feeling... 

but yuh right!

Nothing is being done and the country crying out for help...

de crime have de place in a state...

It cyah jes be drugs... is jes a bad man scene... like we want to bess dat too nuh...

everyday is a gunshot...>:(

jes now dey go be callin' we Little Jamaica... (no offence Jamrockians... buy yuh know is true...)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:01:17 PM by kaisocagoals »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
sad,,real talent and future leadership material lose his life young...over what? some minor shit?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »
"Leacock said security at Corner Bar would be reassessed but noted, "It have no amount of security you could have to stop a man from firing five shots at three people in an area that is the most policed corner in Woodbrook."

In other words you had no security present...but you opening back up for business as usual. Steups.

T&T youth have a serious problem with impulse control. Lack of parental quality or lack of parents alltogether.

We have NO CHOICE now in T&T except let police perform the heavy "disciplining" needed in the absence of parents because this situation is past due for cleaning up.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 01:12:06 PM »

We gehhin a heavy hand one way or the other.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »
The powers that be have no idea of the greater consequences of a societal breakdown caused by the crime situation.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
The powers that be have no idea of the greater consequences of a societal breakdown caused by the crime situation.

They very well know. They are well educated and politically savvy. In some cases they do not care as long as they have their foreign passport and thief money fix up. Some others care but are powerless/lack political will and some others again maintain power by not cracking down on those who quick to bawl police brutality on black people but even faster to never see who do the crime.

We have money to burn in T&T. Use it to understand and eradicate the root causes of the problem. Or just start killing people. Either one or another will have to be done to to maintain our current status as a nation state.

If not just carve the country into sections and watch the warlords use our sons and daughters like toilet paper for their own ends.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:23:30 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 02:53:47 PM »
for the record, chris was in no form or fashion involved in the altercation at Corner bar earlier to this shooting as is being eluded to by the press.

24 years old, island scholarship winner, graduated top of his class at uwi (chem engineering), 5 month old baby, set to leave for his new job in mexico on friday...

like u said dutty...future leadership material...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
for the record, chris was in no form or fashion involved in the altercation at Corner bar earlier to this shooting as is being eluded to by the press.

24 years old, island scholarship winner, graduated top of his class at uwi (chem engineering), 5 month old baby, set to leave for his new job in mexico on friday...

Pure tragedy....

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 05:56:06 AM »

Pure tragedy....

what gets me really upset is that, we have seen this coming over the horizon...

I blame the music... I blamin' de bad man chune dem... de gun t'ing, is a killer yes...

allyuh remember the anti drugs campaign dat used to say "Coke is a crackshot, don't get rope in!"...?

how come we didn't have the common sense to ban that "gun man" influence over the airwaves...

we losing very talented brothers and sisters everyday, and those of us that want to come home and give back by contributing out here, can't... or rather won't...

you really feel I want to be supporting the warriors from out here?... I want to be moving to and from the stadium wid meh duddup over meh shoulder and meh stick in meh pocket, sippin' a Stag, in de hot sun with Natasha... sa we strolling down Aripita Avenue... 

You think I am really appreciated out here?... no way! it is the most amount of racism... but dat is another story for another time...

I cyah do the things in Trini I does do out here... and for all that I have to constantly put up with all sorts of "comments" and "looks" and all ah dat...

I would rather come home rock back on a piece of land, build meh house and jam tunes whole day... wukkin for some clients out here over the web...

no pressure...

Trinidad and Tobago quickly achieving failed sate status...

We nearly reach...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »

So this man gunman just walk up and open fire just so, just so??....Ah eh doubting what yuh say eh, is the level of madness ah trying to wrap mih mind around.... :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 07:23:12 AM »
Very Sad indeed

So this man gunman just walk up and open fire just so, just so??....Ah eh doubting what yuh say eh, is the level of madness ah trying to wrap mih mind around.... :'(
I think what the article failed to do and what Kandi is actually saying is that he was an Innocent bystander during the altercation....That's what I get
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:30:35 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>