April 24, 2024, 08:01:16 PM

Author Topic: Crimes News Thread  (Read 83136 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2015 crime situation in T&T.
« Reply #270 on: June 16, 2015, 02:12:23 AM »
Female Dj killed
By LAUREL V WILLIAMS

A MAN could only watch helplessly as his daughter — who was due to graduate in November with her Bachelor’s Degree in Education — fell from the back of his three-tonne music truck, landing on the road head first and succumbing to her injuries minutes later at a health centre on Sunday.

Deyan Samantha Ramdhan, 21, was looking forward to wearing her graduation garb and taking the podium to collect her degree but the dreams and aspirations of the young disc jockey, who worked in her family’s music truck business, will forever remain just that - dreams.

Tragedy struck while Ramdhan and her family were on their way to attend and play at a friend’s wedding. Ramdhan of John Persad Trace Extension, Freeport, died at the Couva Health Centre minutes after she fell off the three-tonne truck on Sunday morning.

Relatives said she recently completed her BA in Education at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (Valsayn) and worked part-time at a travel agency at Grand Bazaar. She also worked as an assistant back up DJ and Computer technician with the family’s business — J & D Sound System.

On her Facebook page on May 28 at 9.57 pm, Ramdhan posted a picture of herself in a graduation gown as she expressed happiness having completed her programme at the university. “These pics have made me teary eyed as they remind me that I’m on the home stretch. They remind me of what I’ve accomplished at such a young age. They remind me that the struggle is over,” Ramdhan wrote on her Facebook page.

Yesterday relatives recalled that Ramdhan together with her parents Gobin and Babita, and two siblings left home shortly before 11 am on Sunday to provide music at a wedding in Caroni.

On reaching about 300 metres from the Chase Village flyover on the north- bound lane of the Solomon Hochoy Highway, Gobin Ramdhan, who was driving the music truck, looked at the rear view mirror only to see his daughter falling off the back of the truck on to the highway.

“He pulled aside on the shoulder and stopped. Her mother and nine-year-old sister Diane were in the front seat next to Gobin. Dillon was with her on the tray of the truck but he had on his earphones so it was only when the truck came to a halt that he realised what had happened. She fell on her head,” said a relative.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:16 AM »
Female Dj killed
By LAUREL V WILLIAMS

A MAN could only watch helplessly as his daughter — who was due to graduate in November with her Bachelor’s Degree in Education — fell from the back of his three-tonne music truck, landing on the road head first and succumbing to her injuries minutes later at a health centre on Sunday.

Deyan Samantha Ramdhan, 21, was looking forward to wearing her graduation garb and taking the podium to collect her degree but the dreams and aspirations of the young disc jockey, who worked in her family’s music truck business, will forever remain just that - dreams.

Tragedy struck while Ramdhan and her family were on their way to attend and play at a friend’s wedding. Ramdhan of John Persad Trace Extension, Freeport, died at the Couva Health Centre minutes after she fell off the three-tonne truck on Sunday morning.

Relatives said she recently completed her BA in Education at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (Valsayn) and worked part-time at a travel agency at Grand Bazaar. She also worked as an assistant back up DJ and Computer technician with the family’s business — J & D Sound System.

On her Facebook page on May 28 at 9.57 pm, Ramdhan posted a picture of herself in a graduation gown as she expressed happiness having completed her programme at the university. “These pics have made me teary eyed as they remind me that I’m on the home stretch. They remind me of what I’ve accomplished at such a young age. They remind me that the struggle is over,” Ramdhan wrote on her Facebook page.

Yesterday relatives recalled that Ramdhan together with her parents Gobin and Babita, and two siblings left home shortly before 11 am on Sunday to provide music at a wedding in Caroni.

On reaching about 300 metres from the Chase Village flyover on the north- bound lane of the Solomon Hochoy Highway, Gobin Ramdhan, who was driving the music truck, looked at the rear view mirror only to see his daughter falling off the back of the truck on to the highway.

“He pulled aside on the shoulder and stopped. Her mother and nine-year-old sister Diane were in the front seat next to Gobin. Dillon was with her on the tray of the truck but he had on his earphones so it was only when the truck came to a halt that he realised what had happened. She fell on her head,” said a relative.

Incomplete reporting. Who is Dillon? There's no mention of him previously. He had earphones on, but he wasn't blind. Distracted? Maybe. But how would we know? By asking Dillon, Ms. Williams, by asking Dillon!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
9 murders in 4 days
« Reply #272 on: June 16, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
9 murders in 4 days
By RYAN HAMILTON-DAVIS and RICHARDSON DHALAI Tuesday, June 16 2015 (T&T Newsday)

CRIME SCENE: Officers gather near the body of Shane Patino, one of nine persons killed in eight unrelated incidents within a four-day period starting from Friday last and ending yesterday.
Patino was shot dead in Arima. Author: ROGER JACOB

NINE bodies were kept on ice at the Forensic Science Centre (FSC) in St James awaiting autopsies yesterday after a particularly bloody weekend which saw the country’s murder rate leap from 172 to 181.

The killings, which included the slaying of a man and his teenaged son as they slept in bed, have left the victims’ relatives and friends in a state of shock and bewilderment and the police searching high and low for the killers.

Murder at tyre shop

The bloodbath began on Friday at about one o’clock in the afternoon when Shastri Dean, 22, the manager of a tyre shop was attacked and shot from behind as he spoke to a customer at the businessplace.

The gunman shot Dean in the leg first and as he fell to the ground, he was shot several times in the back by the gunman who stood over him and fired repeatedly. The killer escaped while other persons rushed Dean to the Eric Williams Medical Science Complex (EWMSC) in Mt Home where he was pronounced dead. The customer who Dean was speaking to, escaped unharmed.

At the FSC yesterday, relatives told Newsday of the shock they felt when they heard of his murder. They described him as a responsible young man. “He hardly used to lime and drink,” said relative Shawn Dean. “He only liked to go to car shows and when he went it would be with his brothers and his sister.”

Killed for fighting back

A little over an hour after Dean’s murder was committed, 18-year-old Shmeichel Bynoe was shot dead. Newsday understands bandits attempted to rob the young man of his jewelry and personal valuables near his home on Private Lane, Laventille and when he had the temerity to fight back, he was shot and killed. The murder took place at 1.15 pm.

Wendy Ann Campbell, the mother of the slain teen yesterday said her only son was her joy.

“He loved music, he loved to make people laugh. He was a happy child...my joy. They took away my joy,” Campbell sobbed.

She added that her son worked with his stepfather doing construction work and had aspired to elevate himself and his family to move out of Laventille.

Murdered on his birthday

On Saturday at 1.30 am, Nicholas Mohammed of Havelock Street, Curepe was fatally shot as he celebrated his 36th birthday with friends at the Spotlight Bar in Curepe. It was reported that Mohammed was liming with a group of friends when two men, one armed with a gun, walked up and opened fire. The assailants then ran to a car which was parked nearby, got in and drove off.

Mohammed was rushed to the EWMSC where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Three of his friends - Darren Ali, 37, of Rapsey Street, Curepe; Mario Gardiner, 42, of St Ann’s Road, St Ann’s and Shernel Villanna, 35, of Jubilee Street, Tunapuna were also shot and taken to the EWMSC where they were treated and discharged. No arrests have been made.

Killed at Christening

At 9.45 am on Saturday, Nigel Maloney, 37, was killed during a christening in Sangre Grande. Relatives yesterday told Newsday Maloney had confided to them that he had received death threats. On Saturday, the threat was carried out as he was shot dead by a gunman outside the house where the festivity was taking place.

“He worked hard to take care of his family. Now he did tell me he get some threats before, to be honest. But he never told me who had been threatening him. Some people said there were men who had it out for him. I don’t even know what for,” said the mother of Maloney who asked not to be identified.

‘Cooler Red’ gunned down

Later, at 11.05 am on Saturday, a murder took place in Diego Martin. Police said Ronald “Cooler Red” Marcano, 29, of River Estate Diego Martin was at Upper Bournes Road assisting his friend Derrick Wilson with moving some household appliances from a house to a van.

As he stood at the side of the road after helping with the moving, Marcano, who was a self employed technician, was approached by a man who without warning, pulled out a gun from his pants pocket and shot him several times before running off. Marcano was pronounced dead at the scene. No motive was established for this murder.

Father, son shot dead

Also on Saturday, a quiet village in the Heights of Guanapo was thrown into shock and sadness when Dominic Robinson, 37, and his son Wendell, 15, were found dead — their bodies riddled with bullets inside the elder Robinson’s house.

The bodies were discovered shortly after midday when a group of persons on their way to work at a nearby quarry, decided to stop at Robinson’s home to say hello. They met the door open and on checking found the bodies of father and son. Police believe the man and his son were shot to death sometime during Saturday morning as they slept.

Yesterday at the FSC, Robinson’s ex-wife and Wendell’s mother Camille Woodley told Newsday the two were inseparable. “When I say father and son I mean father and son. They were very close,” she said. She added that since her son and ex-husband’s deaths, the entire family was left shocked and dazed.

“Words cannot explain how we feel. We feel lost. We are at a loss for words. We are in shock,” Woodley said.

Bullet to the head

On Sunday, Shane Patino, 28, was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head. According to reports, at about 8 pm, officers of the Arima Police Station responded to reports of gunshots being heard at the corner Boodoo Avenue and the Eastern Main Road.

A party of police officers led by Inspector Ali and Sgt Rene Katwaroo went to the area and found Patino’s body on the road with a gunshot wound to his head. Relatives who gathered outside the FSC yesterday, were reluctant to talk to reporters.

Robbery ends in murder

The ninth and final murder, involved that of a 45-year-old Barrackpore man was shot dead in a robbery at his home during the early morning hours yesterday. According to reports, at about 2.30 am, two masked bandits forced their way into the home of Ramcharan Maharaj at Cunjal Road, Barrackpore and tied up his wife and son in two separate rooms while Maharaj’s arms and legs were tied with tie straps at the front room of the house.

The bandits ransacked the house as they searched for cash and jewelry. The bandits then shot Maharaj once in his head, killing him almost instantly before loading up Maharaj’s silver- coloured Toyota Axio car with two television sets, a DVD player and clothes. The killers escaped in the car.

When Newsday visited the scene yesterday evening, Maharaj’s grief stricken relatives and friends were huddled under a tent which was set up in a neighbours yard directly opposite Maharaj’s home.

His son Gabriel, 17, a Lower Sixth Form student at Naparima College, San Fernando recounted the ordeal saying one of the bandits had entered his room and tied up his hands and feet before ransacking his room.

He said the man then left the room and while he was attempting to free himself, he heard a gunshot from another room in the house. Gabriel said he managed to free himself and went into another room where he discovered his mother Ameena, stilll secured with tie straps. They then discovered Maharaj’s body. A report was made to the police.

Newsday was told that the victim’s brother is a police constable based at the Mon Repos Police Station. Investigations are continuing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:10:03 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #274 on: July 08, 2015, 02:23:09 AM »
Schoolboy gunned down
By Cecily Asson (Newsday)

A 17-YEAR-OLD Moruga schoolboy was gunned down as he stood at his workbench hustling to complete some wrought iron windows for a customer in order to pay the insurance for a car he recently purchased..

A student of Moruga Composite School, Tylon Dyer of Petit Café, Indian Walk Road, collapsed between the workbench bench and material on being shot. He died on the spot. His father Victor “Ping” Marcano found his body with a gaping gunshot wound at the back of the head. Dyer would have entered Form Five at the start of the new school term in September.

Relatives believe the young welder paid the ultimate price for a close male relative who in 2010 faced murder charges but was released from prison two months ago and returned home to live.

Quick work by police officers resulted in them impounding a silver colored Nissan Tiida car believed to be used as the getaway vehicle. Police are also using footage from CCTV cameras installed on the premises to assist with their investigations.

Dyer’s death has come as a shock to those who watched him grow up in the close knit community. Everyone agreed that he was honest and hard working and was never involved in criminal activities.

“He worked hard and always worked honestly for his money. But good things don’t last long,” grieving father Marcano said yesterday of his son as he stood in shock outside the scene of the incident.

Ping is the owner of the welding/fabricating shop where he and his son worked. The teen was described as one of the best young welders in the community who had a bright future ahead of him.

“He was my right hand. He was disciplined although just a boy. If he told you he is finishing your job tomorrow, don’t waste your money betting against him keeping his promise. He worked very hard. At his age it was all about the girls and making an honest dollar,” Marcano said.

The shocked father said he had been suffering severe back pain and was at home nearby when the shooting took place. By the time reached the work area, his son was already dead. “When I saw the hole in the back of his head, I turned stupid,” Marcano said.

At about 1.30 pm, Dyer was inside the welding shop when the Tiida car pulled up outside the businessplace and a masked gunman exited the vehicle. The gunman opened fire as he entered the shop, hitting the unsuspecting teen multiple times at the back of the head.

Inspector Don Gajadhar along with officers of the Princes Town CID, Southern Division Task Force and Southern Homicide Division visited the scene. The abandoned vehicle was found in the La Romaine area.

The teen’s mother Margaret Dyer of Contention Street in Princes Town was inconsolable as she arrived on the scene. “I begged to come and live with me. But he never wanted to, he always wanted to live with his father and learn the trade from him. My son was doing so well. I can’t believe that is him lying there dead,” she cried.

“He got shot and paid the price for another relative who recently came out of prison after being cleared of a murder charge,” Dyer said. As her son’s body was being placed in the hearse, Dyer screamed. “Tylon! Don’t go in the dead people van. Come back home son,” she cried.

Friends of the youth man wept unashamedly at the side of the road near the welding shop.

No arrest has been made and investigations are continuing.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »
Black men  doing real good in TT. f--kin pathetic!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #276 on: July 14, 2015, 01:57:05 AM »
Pretty woman shot dead
Mother of five gunned down
By Gyasi Gonzales (Express)

NEIGHBOURS yesterday recalled the horror of seeing their neighbour's seven-year-old daughter running towards them in a bloodstained nightdress just after her mother was murdered on Sunday night.

At that horrific scene 37-year-old Jamie Fitzworme was shot dead at a Housing Development Corporation (HDC) townhouse at Bellbird Avenue, Malabar. She shared the home with her husband of two years, Gregory Fitzworme, 40, and her two daughters from a previous relationship.

She was also the mother of three other girls.

A male relative of Jamie's who is said to be in his 50s is currently being sought by the police for questioning in connection with the murder.

The Express was told by both the police and neighbours that Jamie and the man were to attend court yesterday morning on a matter.

The Express was told by the police that around 9.20 p.m. Jamie and her husband, Gregory were having dinner in the porch of their townhouse, having just returned to their home after visiting relatives.

As the couple were eating, and with Jamie's two daughters inside, they noticed two men wearing overalls walking briskly towards them. As the men drew closer they each pulled out guns. Gregory then grabbed his wife and got her inside but while he was attempting to close the door the gunmen rushed forward and pushed against the door preventing him from closing it.

The two gunmen forced their way in and opened fire on the couple.

All the shots they fired at Gregory missed but Jamie was shot four times at close range and was killed on the spot.

The gunmen then calmly walked out the townhouse and escaped.

Jamie was very pretty

With Gregory apparently still in shock the elder of the woman's two daughters ran out of the house and went to her neighbour's, telling them what happened and they contacted the police. Her nightie had been stained with blood.

Attempts to interview the murdered woman's family at the Forensic Science Centre in St James yesterday were unsuccessful as the family stated they had no comment and quickly headed to their cars.

The Express then visited the Malabar neighbourhood.

The neighbours spoke and pointed out the couple's town-house with a front door that appeared to have been smashed in.

They described both Jamie and Gregory as a nice couple but none wanted to be named . As they spoke an unmarked police vehicle kept circling the area.

“Jamie was very pretty and she was friendly anytime we met her,” said one woman.

“Every time they passed around they waved hello as everybody in this community does live nice,” she added.

As she continued speaking however she lowered her voice.

“But Jamie and (name called) had a bitter separation because at one time she was living with this man and what we understand is that he used to beat her,” she said.

They said he was an aggressive man that used to drink a lot.

They recalled that they themselves arrived at their home around 9.10 p.m. and minutes after they heard gunshots.

“This thing sounded loud so I remain inside frightened,” said the woman.

Children in the middle

Another man also spoke to the Express.

The man was not a neighbour of the couple but rather a contractor who was about to carry out work on the couple's townhouse. He said a female relative of the man in question attempted to take the children to her home over the weekend but she was prevented from doing so by Jamie.

He said he could not understand why she and not the man came to get the children but apparently the arrangement had not been properly worked out and Jamie refused to hand them over.

Inspector Remy, Sergeant Katwaroo and Cpl Samaroo visited the scene.

A post-mortem which was done yesterday morning concluded that the mother of five died as a result of the gunshots she received.

Region Two Homicide Bureau officers are continuing investigations.

The murder toll for the year to date is 202 compared with 234 for the same period last year.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 14, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
Sorry this kind of brazen killing going on. And sadly, doubt this crime will be solved. make me a liar. Don't know what caused all of this, so I will reserve further opinion. Now the five girls go have to deal with this trauma for the rest of their lives.  But what do they mean by she pretty. Prettiness don't subject you  to get a pass from criminals, you know.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Too much black crime in T&T.
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2015, 06:20:37 AM »
Too much black crime.
By Marlene Augustine (Newsday).

Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams yesterday bemoaned alarming research which reveals the majority of murder victims and offenders in jail are African-Trinidadians.

As the nation today observes the abolition of African slavery, with the celebration of Emancipation Day, Williams spoke of how troubled he felt to see so many blacks in prison that he did his own research, which showed much more had to be done to reduce crime among African- Trinidadians.

“When entering the prisons, what I see is a large majority...almost all, the majority are the Africans in prisons. I did some research around murder, and generally killings in Trinidad and Tobago, and who I see as the majority victims, and who we identified as the offenders, are the Africans,” Williams told his audience at the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service’s (TTPS) annual Emancipation Day celebrations at Police Administration Building, Sackville Street, Port-of-Spain.

Williams’ remarks come during a week when videos from behind prison walls showed many African- Trinidadian prisoners in the Remand Yards, seeming to enjoy the spoils of illicit drugs, contraband cell-phones and even partying.

Williams did not disclose any results of his research but was hopeful of being an agent of change in prison reform.

“I always ask to bring down the power of love,” Williams said, quoting local powerhouse singer Ella Andall, who later sang her African-themed anthem, “Bring down the Power”.

The top cop continued, “I have the opportunity of being part of the Cabinet-appointed committee to look at the improvements in the prison system of Trinidad and Tobago.” As an African-Trinidadian, Williams said his experiences have shown African descendants still have a long journey to personal emancipation.

“It touches my heart deeply to know for a fact by way of Emancipation (Day) there is still a long journey for us, and as African people we need to do everything possible to make that journey one we can travel at a faster rate, so we can cover the distance within the shortest period of time,” he said.

Williams even addressed the issue of patriotism, in the month in which the nation will observe its 53rd anniversary of Independence, through his observance of how few people even sing the National Anthem. Again, quoting a line from the Anthem, “every creed and race has an equal place,” Williams said, “One of the key things I recognised as a society, and it is not limited to the Africans, as a society we don’t really even appreciate our National Anthem. There were only a few persons that sang the Anthem.” He noted that at the very Emancipation Day function he was presiding over, not many sang the Anthem, saying “If everyone sang the Anthem it would have rang out loudly into the atmosphere. I am not here to please anyone...only a few sang the National Anthem.” Yet again, using another quote, this time from Jamaican reggae icon Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song”, Williams declared, “Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.” Williams indicated the nation is enslaved in so many ways, and citizens need to change their mentality.

“We have to start as individuals to focus on how we can go forward, and by way of contributing to individuals. We have a collective impact as a society to move forward.

Each and every one of us has a role to play to make this place better, not only for the Africans, but for everyone in this land,” he said.

The commissioner stated the nation needed to reflect on the past in order to go forward, and not for the past to repeat itself.

“We focus on celebrations like these... Emancipation celebrations, we need to be able to reflect, reflect on the past not for it to repeat, but to guide us to go forward into the future. The TTPS itself has to find ways and means to ensure that as an organisation we can travel the part for Emancipation,” he said.

Responding to the commissioner’s comments yesterday, chairman of the Emancipation Support Committee Khafra Kambon said based on statistical information, “it is true”, that as far as arrests go, “you see the majority (Africans) in the prisons.” “As far as I know where convictions and arrest go, the people who you see frequently in prisons with these type of matters, you see the majority of the people (Africans),” he said.

“You can take what is true statistically...if the statistic say 60 percent of the persons who are held for shooting are Africans then you can say that it is a fact. But I can use that fact for one purpose or another,” said Kambon.

As of July 29, by Newsday’s count there were 233 murders, most of which were African men.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Too much black crime in T&T.
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
So what's new mr policeman?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Man shot to death along road
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »
By STACY MOORE Monday, September 28 2015 (T&T Newsday)

THE country’s murder toll climbed to 322 following the shooting death yesterady of a 32-year old Chaguanas man. Police at first believed they were responding to a report of a fatal accident along the Southern Main Road in Chase Village.

However, when they arrived on the scene they found the victim Marcus Cudjoe lying on the road with a bullet wound to his head.

He was killled a short distance from the Miracle Ministries International Church along the Southern Main Road. According to police reports at about 2.10 pm Cudjoe was walking south along the main road when on reaching the corner at Gurahoo Trace, he was shot by a man who was riding a bicycle. As Cudjoe slumoed to the ground, the killer rode off.

Residents of Gurahoo Trace along with customers at nearby business places lined the main road as Cudjoe’s body lay in a pool of blood. Spent shells were found near Cudjoe’s body. Officers led by Snr Supt Johnny Abraham and including Inspector Angus Harry, Sgts Jitindra Toolaram and James visited the scene. The area was cordoned off as District Medical Officer (DMO) Dr Ravi Kawal viewed the body and ordered it removed to the Forensic Science Centre in St James for autopsy.

One of the onlookers, Ingrid Aberdeen, a close friend of Cudjoe’s family screamed as she saw his body on the road. “They just killed your cousin and now they come and kill you? Oh God!” she cried. Speaking to Newsday at the crime scene, Cudjoe’s aunt Hermelin Cudjoe of Orange Field Road in Carapachima said she received the news that her nephew was killed, from her sister.

The emotional woman said that in the brief telephone call her sister told her that her nephew was shot and killed in Chase Village. Hermelin said that she rushed to the crime scene.

The shocked woman said she could not understand the killing as she described Cudjoe as a good boy. She said that Cudjoe who was originally from Orange Field Road and moved to Crown Trace in Enterprise, had no children. Investigations are continuing.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2015, 10:46:39 PM »
By STACY MOORE Monday, September 28 2015 (T&T Newsday)

THE country’s murder toll climbed to 322 following the shooting death yesterady of a 32-year old Chaguanas man. Police at first believed they were responding to a report of a fatal accident along the Southern Main Road in Chase Village.

However, when they arrived on the scene they found the victim Marcus Cudjoe lying on the road with a bullet wound to his head.

He was killled a short distance from the Miracle Ministries International Church along the Southern Main Road. According to police reports at about 2.10 pm Cudjoe was walking south along the main road when on reaching the corner at Gurahoo Trace, he was shot by a man who was riding a bicycle. As Cudjoe slumoed to the ground, the killer rode off.

Residents of Gurahoo Trace along with customers at nearby business places lined the main road as Cudjoe’s body lay in a pool of blood. Spent shells were found near Cudjoe’s body. Officers led by Snr Supt Johnny Abraham and including Inspector Angus Harry, Sgts Jitindra Toolaram and James visited the scene. The area was cordoned off as District Medical Officer (DMO) Dr Ravi Kawal viewed the body and ordered it removed to the Forensic Science Centre in St James for autopsy.

One of the onlookers, Ingrid Aberdeen, a close friend of Cudjoe’s family screamed as she saw his body on the road. “They just killed your cousin and now they come and kill you? Oh God!” she cried. Speaking to Newsday at the crime scene, Cudjoe’s aunt Hermelin Cudjoe of Orange Field Road in Carapachima said she received the news that her nephew was killed, from her sister.

The emotional woman said that in the brief telephone call her sister told her that her nephew was shot and killed in Chase Village. Hermelin said that she rushed to the crime scene.

The shocked woman said she could not understand the killing as she described Cudjoe as a good boy. She said that Cudjoe who was originally from Orange Field Road and moved to Crown Trace in Enterprise, had no children. Investigations are continuing.

Check the gruesomeness of this scene. Maybe it does not mean much to anybody anyhow.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150927/news/gunman-on-bicycle-shoots-victim-10-times

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150928/news/ramdial-crime-surge-could-hurt-carnival-tourism

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
That was hard to watch...very sad indeed

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #283 on: October 01, 2015, 01:56:45 AM »
Murder toll now 327
T&T Newsday

THE LIVES of two men were snuffed out in separate incidents on Thursday night, bringing the murder toll for the year to 327.

Police are also investigating an unrelated incident in which a gunman who tried to fire his way into a businessman’s property was shot dead by a security officer who at the time, was on guard duty.

Christian De Craine was shot dead in front of a mini mart in Sangre Grande while Akini Ramdin was murdered in front of his home in Santa Cruz. Quaine Rossford was killed during a shootout with a security guard in Arima.

The killings took place between Tuesday night and just after midnight yesterday.

Police said the violence on Tuesday began at about 9.50 pm.

Police said a white Nissan Tiida car pulled up along the road outside the Sierra Vista Drive, Arima home of a businessman. Three men, all armed, alighted from the car and opened fire at a guard booth where an estate constable working with SWAT Estate Police Company, was on guard duty.

The guard drew his service pistol and returned fire at the bandits, hitting one of them --- later identified as Rossford --- who slumped to the ground while the other two gunmen fled the scene.

A report was made to the Arima police and officers visited the scene. Rossford was pronounced dead at the scene. Police sources said while investigations are continuing, they are not deeming this case a murder but rather as a justified killing. The guard was unhurt.

Police sources said Rossford was well known to them and had been implicated in several criminal incidents. The gunmen’s car has been impounded while investigators are trying to trace the owner.

About 30 minutes after the Rossford shooting, De Craine, 43, who owned a clothing store, was liming outside a mini mart at the corner of Graham and Foster Streets in Sangre Grande when a masked man wearing dark clothing approached and shot De Craine once in the head, killing him instantly. The killer ran off.

A team of officers, including Superintendent Neville Sankar, ASP Ramkhelawan, Inspector Tom and Inspector Lutchman visited the scene.

In the third incident, 31-yearold Akini Ramdin was found dead just after midnight yesterday.

Police say residents of Moraldo Trace, Santa Cruz heard several explosions coming from a house but no one went to investigate on account of being fearful for their safety.

At about 6 am yesterday, relatives of the 31-year-old man went to check on him in his room and found Ramdin’s body on the ground.

Police were alerted and officers of the North Eastern Division Task Force, Santa Cruz Police Station and the Homicide Investigations Bureau visited the scene.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 01, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »
Latest Crime stats says its 328 murders for the years so far: http://www.ttcrime.com/stats.php

This puts the murder rate at approx. 1.2 murders per day up until Sept. 7th and approx. 1.3 murders per day since then. See how I made calculations below.

There were 297 murders up until Election Day; I made a note of it via the T&T crime stats website at www.ttcrime.com/stats.php.  This website is not politically influenced like some of our T&T newspapers and has been reporting the real murder figures for the past 10 plus years since 2006.

So since elections there have been an additional 31 murders to take the total to 328 for the year so far. Now there were 250 days in the year up until Sept.7th which puts the murder rate at approx.1.2 murders per day (calculation 297/250).

Since then there have been 31 additional murders over last 24 days since PNM won the elections which works out at almost the same rate, 1.3 murders per day (calculation 31/24) which is fractionally more that the 1.2 murders per day as it was all year before the PNM got voted in.

Hopefully PNM can quickly takes serious measures to close back our borders from guns, drugs and human trafficking along with other social measures to create more long term jobs within the poorer communities in T&T and then we will start to see a drop in the murder rate. However making those required changes will not be achieved overnight as it will take some time to implement and will need the support of the next budget by the new Finance Minister.

I also think a gun amnesty period of two weeks should also help where folks are encouraged to hand in all illegal guns and ammunition at various locations around T&T with no questions asked.

Thereafter the police backed by the army should do a systematic house by house sweep of the country for illegal guns and ammunition with no households being spared; Any illegal weapons should be seized with the owner of the property being given a possible 5 years prison sentence for housing illegal weapons on their property regardless of how high up in society they may be.

This house by house sweep of the country for weapons should be accompanied by a simultaneous closing of our porous borders to guns, drugs and human trafficking so that all the illegal weapons which are removed from our streets are not quickly replaced by more illegal weapons coming in.

Once this operation has been completed our murder rate should at least be halved in the short term (3 to 6 month period).

More social measures to create more long term jobs within the poorer communities in T&T in addition to more educational, training, cultural and sporting programmes will then start to have an impact on reducing the murder rate further in the long term.

We will also need to see some of the BIG fish in the richer communities who bring in the guns, ammunition, drugs and who co-ordinate the human trafficking being held and being given long term prison sentences with their ill-gotten asserts being seized by the state and being used in the ongoing fight against crime.

With this serious crime fighting initiative in place we can see our annual murder rate in T&T reduced to under 100 murders within the space of just 1 year but for it to happen we will need the general T&T population behind this initiative; Also a major cleaning up of the corrupt elements from our police force, army, coast guard and working at all our legal ports of entry will need to take place for this major crime initiative to work.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:54:13 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PM unveils plans for police... Murder detection rate unacceptable
« Reply #285 on: October 01, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »
PM unveils plans for police...
Murder detection rate unacceptable

Published: Thursday, October 1, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley says the ten per cent murder detection rate by the T&T Police Service is unacceptable, adding the People’s National Movement will do all in its power to give the service all the tools it needs to address crime.

He made the comment in a wide-ranging interview on I95FM’s evening drive radio programme yesterday.

Rowley said the police must work diligently to improve the detection rate, noting: “That is not the teacher’s job, or the parson’s job, or the telephone operator’s job... that is the job of the police.”

He said the Government was aiming to put security services in a position to prevent or detect crime and prevention would include getting firearms off the streets and preventing trade in illegal guns. Information gathering to identify the criminals would be an important part of the process, he added.

He admitted, however, that the police were being hampered by a lack of motivation within its ranks and the failure of the public to co-operate with their crime-fighting initiatives.

“We have a Police Service which we know is demoralised and does not have the support of the population to determine who is doing what in the neighbourhood.”

Noting that the existing anti-gang legislation had done little to curb the gang violence, Rowley said among possible anti-crime actions by his Government would be the idea of local constabularies in the regional corporations. He said although this would add to the cost of running the country, crime also had a cost.

“If we can't secure ourselves everything else would fall by the wayside so we have to make the sacrifice to incur the cost of making our streets and our neighbourhoods safer and detect crime when criminal conduct is displayed,” he added.

On the issue of corruption, Rowley said the PNM would have to ensure systems were put in place to root it out.

“Many citizens are disturbed at the way we have spent a lot of money and a lot of it went into the hands of people who ought not to have handled it. The level of waste and corruption in this country is unacceptable,” he said.

He added: “We always point to the public sector as the source and the area where corruption is a problem. That's a mistake.

“The private sector is an integral part of the corruption in T&T because public officers usually have to integrate with elements of the private sector to carry out corrupt practices... and the systems have to be such that governance and spending public money is more open and transparent. Without that, we will have this going on forever.

“So what we are going to try to do is to put more open systems in place. It is the light of openness and consequences for wrongdoing that will change.”

On the issue of Government priorities after next Monday's budget and ensuing budget debates, Rowley said Government would be focussing on three areas: Whistleblower legislation, local government reform and initiating national discussion on campaign financing.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PM: Sacrifices to win war on crime
« Reply #286 on: October 02, 2015, 12:33:04 AM »
PM: Sacrifices to win war on crime
Friday, October 2 2015 (T&T Newsday)

PRIME Minister Dr Keith Rowley declared that sacrifices have to be made in order to curb the level of crime taking place in the country.In an interview broadcast on I95.5 FM on Wednesday, the Prime Minister said he has been in regular conference with National Security Minister, retired Major General Edmund Dillon, about crime in the country. “ I know he’s working quite assiduously with the agencies that are involved to come up with an arrangement which will make it less attractive for the criminals to be so unfettered in their actions,” Rowley said.

Noting that crimes can be classified into various categories, the Prime Minister said, “We don’t want to do anything other than to, at the moment, put the security services in a position to either prevent crime or detect crime.” Identifying stemming the flow of illegal guns into the country and reducing the accessibility of these weapons to persons, Rowley said,

“ You prevent it (crime) by doing certain things before, one of it is to try to get all these firearms that are on our streets, off our streets and persons who are trading in firearms and persons who choose firearm handling and firearm industry, identify them and get those firearms out of their hands and off the streets. that’s a prevention aspect.

” He added, “The other one is information gathering to determine who is involved in crime, to be able to detect the crime when it occurs.” Reiterating the Government’s intention to establish 100 member constabularies in all 14 local government corporations to assist in the fight against crime, Rowley admitted, “That would add to our cost of operating the country.

” However the Prime Minister added, “If we can’t secure ourselves, everything else would fall by the wayside. We have to make the sacrifice to incur the cost of making our streets and our neighbourhoods safer and detect crime when criminal conduct is displayed.

” Expressing concern that an environment has been created over time in this country that has allowed the criminals to prosper, Rowley said, “We have to change that.

” The Prime Minister continued, “It is unacceptable that we are talking about a less than ten percent detection rate for murders and murders make news at the time of the killing.” Rowley said the question which must be asked is, “Who is following up to find out who committed this act?” Rowley asked, “Is it the same person going to commit it again? Is it one murderer killing ten times or is it ten separate murderers?

” Declaring, “that is not the teacher’s job or the parson’s job or the telephone operator’s job,” the Prime Minister said, “That is the job of the police. The Police Service is the agency in this country that is required to secure us along with the other agencies and we have to make sure that they are in a position so to do.” However he said one of the major challenges in this regard is, “we have a Police Service which we know is demoralised and does not have the support of the population to determine who is doing what in the neighbourhood.” Rowley said steps must be taken to restore the public’s trust and confidence in the police, if any success is to be achieved in the war against crime. On the legislative front, the Prime Minister observed that while the Anti-Gang Bill was passed in the 10th Parliament, “we are not seeing that law impacting on the environment.” Asked whether the legislation to establish a Police Management Agency would require a special majority for passage in Parliament, Rowley explained, “Some of these things are entrenched in law and may require a special majority, but I would like to believe that all of us, regardless of which side of the divide that we are on in the Parliament, that all of use are concerned about the state of the country’s lack of security.

” The Prime Minister also disclosed that Government intends to hold a national consultation about campaign finance legislation, to get the public’s views on what the legislation should contain.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lawman on low murder detection rate: Let cops do police work
« Reply #287 on: October 02, 2015, 01:49:41 AM »
Lawman on low murder detection rate:
Let cops do police work

Published: Friday, October 2, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Political unity, increased manpower, intelligence gathering and a more trusting witness protection programme are some of the things, if given to the Homicide Bureau, may improve the detection rate.

To date 328 people have been murdered with arrests in 52 of them. Speaking on i95FM on Wednesday Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said the police had a ten per cent detection rate.

Rowley said the ten per cent murder detection rate was unacceptable, adding the People’s National Movement will do all in its power to give the service all the tools it needs to address crime.

In a telephone interview with the T&T Guardian yesterday, Senior Supt Oswald Cudjoe, operational head of the Homicide Bureau, said human resources were major components in increasing the detection rate.

“We need to get back our resources, namely human resource. Homicides are taking place rapidly and we need a central location where all data pertaining to homicides will be collected and analysed,” Cudjoe said.

The senior officer, who spent time working in various intelligence-gathering units of the Police Service said there also needed to be a fusion centre between the Homicide Bureau and two other units, the Organised Crime, Narcotics and Firearms Bureau and the Criminal Gang and Intelligence Unit.

Those two units, he said, oversaw the three main factors that contributed to murders, gangs, drugs and guns.

Cudjoe said the fusion centre would relay vital information among the units while investigators sought to solve the murders.

“The intelligence unit will guide the cause of the homicide, getting information is not sufficient. Accurate and timely information is needed along with a more robust intelligence unit and a fusion centre,” Cudjoe said, adding the executive of the Police Service has a draft strategic plan and operational plan that is being looked at to facilitate the idea.

Cudjoe said apart from that, police officers should be allowed to do police work while many of the social aspects recently adopted went back to social groups, such as churches.

He said in many cases police officers were being made to do so much more than policing that they were unable to be police officers effectively.

He added that in years past the Homicide Bureau was a small unit with homicide officers attached to the nine divisions and dealing with murders within their own division.

He said: “We need to concentrate on our core functions as well, no one is judging us on community work, they are judging us on crime, and the barometer is murders. There needs to be a broad based intelligence apparatus, a justice protection unit and fusion centre,” he said.

Cudjoe added that other units of the Police Service could play a vital role as well, highlighting the Traffic Branch as the guns used to kill were not transported via helicopters of flying saucers but on the roadways. He called for a better and more effective way of car searches.

“There is too much politics playing in the country. It is only when people get serious that things will change. If people come together, it could change. This thing is not beyond us,” he said.

During the interview on Wednesday Rowley said the Government was aiming to put security services in a position to prevent or detect crime and prevention would include getting firearms off the streets and preventing trade in illegal guns.

Information gathering to identify the criminals would be an important part of the process, he said.

He added, however, that the police were being hampered by a lack of motivation within its ranks and the failure of the public to co-operate with their crime-fighting initiatives.

One measure to decrease the crime and specifically the murder rate was the idea of local constabularies in the regional corporations, Rowley said, adding this will incur an increased cost at running the country but “crime also had a cost.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »

2 held in $2.5m Tobago drug bust

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151006/news/2-held-in-25m-tobago-drug-bust

Two men from Parlatuvier in Tobago have been held in possession of 27.9 kilos of marijuana, with a street value of $2.5 million.

The men were arrested by police in Tobago around 1.30 a.m. on Monday while driving their vehicles in Parlatuvier.
Officers of the Tobago Divisional Task Force, acting on information, searched the vehicles of both men and the drugs were found.

Both men have been charged and will appear before the Scarborough Magistrates' Court.
In other news, last Saturday, more than 10,000 marijuana trees were destroyed by Tobago Divisional officers, in Mason Hall.
The exercise was co-ordinated by Supt Garth Nelson.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
A new government just coming into power cannot do much to change the murder rate within 3 weeks of coming into power as they would not have had enough time to seal back T&T's porous borders from guns, drugs and human trafficking nor would they have had enough time to implement initiatives to remove the thousands of illegal weapons from our streets.

With this in mind the month of October will give us a better idea of if the PNM’s policy against crime is starting to have a positive effect rather than the 50 murders that took place in September.

Based on the latest crime stats at (http://www.ttcrime.com/stats.php) the murder toll is now 336.
Noting that the murder toll was 328 on the 1st of October and that today is 17th October that means that there have been 8 murders over the last 17 days which shows a marked reduction in the murder rate in October as compared with September.

If the October rate does not change there will be less than 20 murders in October which is less than half of the September total which seems to be a positive sign.

The goal is to get the murder rate down to zero murders per month so we can get back to the good old days in T&T when if a murder was committed anywhere in the country the whole nation would go into a state of shock!!

We cannot afford to continue losing any of our talented youngsters to murders and crime as we can be losing potential scholars and Olympic gold medallists that could make T&T proud if they are given the right guidance and opportunities to shine and fulfill their dreams.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:19:56 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2015, 02:01:15 PM »
Maybe less than 20. We should not accept that.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
Maybe less than 20. We should not accept that.

Who is saying that we should accept less than 20 murders per month? I simply made a prediction for the  month of October based on the current murder rate.

The point is that the UNC/PP government who just got deservedly voted out of office were trying to blame the high murder toll of 50 murders in September on the PNM coming into office.

Now that we are into the month of October and the murder rate has dropped to half of what it was in September I've noticed that all the sore-losers who were trying to play politics with the murder toll have gone quiet.

The goal for any serious T&T government is getting our monthly murder toll down to zero but such a task will take time and serious effort but is not impossible.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:15:05 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »

Here is some serious crime in Trinidad we should all be concerned about.

"ATTORNEYS Gerald Ramdeen and Varun Debideen represented a client in court for two years even though he was dead.

The attorneys claim they did not know their client was dead."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151017/news/case-of-the-living-dead

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »

Here is some serious crime in Trinidad we should all be concerned about.

"ATTORNEYS Gerald Ramdeen and Varun Debideen represented a client in court for two years even though he was dead.

The attorneys claim they did not know their client was dead."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151017/news/case-of-the-living-dead

Acting Attorney General Stuart Young has requested a Solicitor's General report on the Attorneys who represented a dead client for 2 years.

https://www.facebook.com/cnewslive/videos/10153644367520610/

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »

Elderly British man, wife chopped to death in Tobago

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Elderly-British-couple-chopped-to-death-in-Tobago

CARNBEE, Tobago (Trinidad Express) – An elderly British man and his wife were brutally hacked to death in the quiet village of Carnbee in Tobago.

Attorney Richard Wheeler, 73, and his wife, Grace Wheeler, 67, were found murdered at their Riseland Gardens in  Carnbee, home yesterday morning.

Wheeler, who was originally from Sheffield, England, was a partner in the Tobago law offices of Lex Caribbean and specialised in conveyancing and property development.

His wife was a real estate agent attached to Island Investments.

They had been living in Tobago for the past 16 years.

The couple was attacked by unknown assailants between Monday night and early yesterday morning.

Attorney Martin George said Crime Stoppers was offering a reward for information that could help solve the murders.

“In my capacity as the (Tobago House of Assembly) representative on the board of Crime Stoppers, I have been able to get the board to agree to offer a special reward of $100,000 for information leading to the arrest and capture of the suspects in this matter,” said George.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »
Don't know what to make of this. Why?

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2015, 04:18:29 PM »
Don't know what to make of this. Why?

they say the dogs ent bark self...that tells you that someone known very well to the couple did this...what a shame >:(

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 23, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »
I was listening to the radio yesterday and there was a huge public outcry because a video went viral about a man beating a toddler because she didn't want to drink her milk. Most callers wanted vigilante justice and I thought the man may not have made it to see today. Didn't think he was arrested yet. Anyone seen that video?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 23, 2015, 01:51:10 PM »

Elderly British man, wife chopped to death in Tobago

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Elderly-British-couple-chopped-to-death-in-Tobago

CARNBEE, Tobago (Trinidad Express) – An elderly British man and his wife were brutally hacked to death in the quiet village of Carnbee in Tobago.

Attorney Richard Wheeler, 73, and his wife, Grace Wheeler, 67, were found murdered at their Riseland Gardens in  Carnbee, home yesterday morning.

Wheeler, who was originally from Sheffield, England, was a partner in the Tobago law offices of Lex Caribbean and specialised in conveyancing and property development.

His wife was a real estate agent attached to Island Investments.

They had been living in Tobago for the past 16 years.

The couple was attacked by unknown assailants between Monday night and early yesterday morning.

Attorney Martin George said Crime Stoppers was offering a reward for information that could help solve the murders.

“In my capacity as the (Tobago House of Assembly) representative on the board of Crime Stoppers, I have been able to get the board to agree to offer a special reward of $100,000 for information leading to the arrest and capture of the suspects in this matter,” said George.

VIDEO Report; https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153716539812996/

TOBAGO POLICE ON DOUBLE MURDERS

Police officers in Tobago are questioning two men and a woman they have held in connection with the murder of a British couple.

At a press conference Thursday, ACP Vincel Edwards says the officers are doing all they can to solve the crime.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2015, 03:54:44 PM »

UK warns of crime in T&T

…updates travel advisory

http://www.tv6tnt.com/news/UN-warns-of-crime-in-TT-335946571.html

The UNITED KINGDOM has updated its travel advisory to Trinidad and Tobago, alerting its citizens of the double murder of British national Richard Wheeler and his Trinidadian wife, Grace, at their home in Tobago on Tuesday.

The advisory, updated on Thursday, warned citizens of a high level of gang related violent crime in Trinidad, particularly in the inner city neighbourhoods east of Port of Spain's city centre, Laventille, Morvant and Barataria.

British visItors were advised to avoid travelling outside major populated areas late at night and before dawn.

And the advisory warned that there have been incidents of violence and fatal accidents caused by erratic driving to and from Piarco International airport, particularly on the Beetham/Churchill Roosevelt highway and Lady Young Road.

?Always drive with windows closed and doors locked,? it stated.
British citizens were advised to use a hotel or pre-booked taxis and drivers who work with set fares. Private taxis in Trinidad and Tobago are unmetered and unmarked but can be identified by vehicle registration plates beginning with "H", the travel advisory stated.

The visitors were warned against carrying large amounts of cash or wearing eye-catching jewellery. And they were advised not to walk alone in deserted areas even in daylight.

The advisory stated that theft from vehicles and property occurred in parts of downtown Port of Spain and other towns/cities. And noted that there was a higher risk from opportunistic crime during the festive period and carnival season.

When travelling to Tobago, British nationals were reminded that although the island was generally "trouble free" tourists have been robbed.

The advisory stated. ?The inability of the authorities to catch and prosecute offenders remains a concern. Incidents of violent crime in Tobago are rare, but 2 German tourists were murdered in November 2014, on Minister's Bay in the Bacolet area. A British national was murdered in the Riseland area of Tobago in October 2015.

Visitors to Tobago were advised against walking alone in deserted areas even in daylight and to always be part of an organised group when visiting beaches including Englishman's Bay, King Peter's Bay and Bacolet.

Wheeler, 73, and hos 67-year-old wife were found dead at their Riseland Gardens home. Wheeler, an attorney, was found hacked to death, while his wife's throat was slashed. The couple had made Tobago their home 16 years ago.

1]; } ?>