March 28, 2024, 06:59:22 AM

Author Topic: Crimes News Thread  (Read 81998 times)

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: All yuh see de Express today?....
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »
A few of the forumites were present when this shit went down sat. night, myself included. Not a nice feeling, but again I ask, WHAT IS BEING DONE??????? I asked this months ago and was told that the powers that be do not want to implement a heavy handed system of crime control. I suspect this is because they have 'guests' coming next year for two big conferences. So they doh want things to look bad. So lewwe let more die in the mean time. We really f*cking like it so down here yes!

Like you and I discussed some time ago.
We are reaping the fruits planted by Eric Williams in the 70's with this crime situation.

A simple thing like going by a bar and drink some rum could lead to a loss of life.

That was, by far, the most dastardly, cowardly single most unnecessary act I ever come across.

Més que un club.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 10:46:29 AM »
for the record, chris was in no form or fashion involved in the altercation at Corner bar earlier to this shooting as is being eluded to by the press.

24 years old, island scholarship winner, graduated top of his class at uwi (chem engineering), 5 month old baby, set to leave for his new job in mexico on friday...

like u said dutty...future leadership material...

Pure tragedy....

what gets me really upset is that, we have seen this coming over the horizon...

I blame the music... I blamin' de bad man chune dem... de gun t'ing, is a killer yes...

allyuh remember the anti drugs campaign dat used to say "Coke is a crackshot, don't get rope in!"...?

how come we didn't have the common sense to ban that "gun man" influence over the airwaves...

we losing very talented brothers and sisters everyday, and those of us that want to come home and give back by contributing out here, can't... or rather won't...

you really feel I want to be supporting the warriors from out here?... I want to be moving to and from the stadium wid meh duddup over meh shoulder and meh stick in meh pocket, sippin' a Stag, in de hot sun with Natasha... sa we strolling down Aripita Avenue... 

You think I am really appreciated out here?... no way! it is the most amount of racism... but dat is another story for another time...

I cyah do the things in Trini I does do out here... and for all that I have to constantly put up with all sorts of "comments" and "looks" and all ah dat...

I would rather come home rock back on a piece of land, build meh house and jam tunes whole day... wukkin for some clients out here over the web...

no pressure...

Trinidad and Tobago quickly achieving failed s[t]ate status...

We nearly reach...

Fighting words pardnah ... fighting words ...

willful blindness even ... some forumites eh wah to hear that atall atall.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »
A few of the forumites were present when this shit went down sat. night, myself included. Not a nice feeling, but again I ask, WHAT IS BEING DONE??????? I asked this months ago and was told that the powers that be do not want to implement a heavy handed system of crime control. I suspect this is because they have 'guests' coming next year for two big conferences. So they doh want things to look bad. So lewwe let more die in the mean time. We really f*cking like it so down here yes!

Like you and I discussed some time ago.
We are reaping the fruits planted by Eric Williams in the 70's with this crime situation.

A simple thing like going by a bar and drink some rum could lead to a loss of life.

That was, by far, the most dastardly, cowardly single most unnecessary act I ever come across.

Share nah.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 12:30:07 AM »
situation touch mih a lil jus a lil mor dan d odders...i ah man studyin my lil chemical engineering an as ah black yute tryin to follow up yuh ambitions it does be rel tuff and hard..d man come out and was reapin now somebody jus snuff out he life normal normal...stewps...

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »
wit regards to d express havin dat foto...anybody ever say CNMG news where they had a videorecording of a man dyin in a pool of blood wit fire inching up on his body?..he raised his head and looked at d person (a resident in d area) videotapin him..he was left to die slowly there..the residents said they were afraid to help him...that was d story of d taxu driver who got shot up an wen he try to drive away dey pelt a molotov in his car..he came out an collapsed in front d car where he later died...i find d media gettin a bit too insensitive on their crime coverage...

Offline Consultant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
I too am a chemical engineer, so its very very sad to have lost undoubtedly a talent not only for TT but also our industry.

Condolences firstly to the parents, and family of Chris Joseph may his soul rest in peace and may god give his family and friends the strength and wisdom in dealing with their loss.

Now - who's with me......bring back the death sentence.  >:(

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »
Now - who's with me......bring back the death sentence.  >:(

The death sentence eh gone nowhere, we can't carry it out because of that Privy Council ruling some years ago (can't remember the name of the case right now)....basically since we take so damn long for appeals to be heard and the case to close, the ruling said that keeping a man on death row for more than 5 years is "cruel and unusual punishment" and so most of these death row inmates just get their sentences commuted to life....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »
Death sentence ain't deterring crime...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »
I promote a program that will start in the first year that children start going to school and follow them all the way up to A levels.

A program that deals with social issues that educate kids about pridefulness, brotherhood, community and sanctity of human life and property.

It is all reinforced by a program with posters, handouts, media articles directed towards the general population of TnT.
Obviously this is all intial thinking about what needs to be done.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:41:43 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »

Yeah I forgot to add that to my post....for real, we not missing anything.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 02:24:18 PM »
Me eh really care if it is a deterant but a couple less murders 2 feed from my tax good enough 4 me
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »

Not in the US it isn't.  No one has ever done a study in the caribbean but I'm willing to bet that in a smaller society such as TnT it could be a factor.

I'd say that overall punishment as a whole is no real deterrence to crime though... simply because criminals focus more on the act and the opportunity to consummate it, rather than stopping to consider the potential of being caught and punished.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »
Several years ah back i saying let dem swing. Whether it deterring crime or not, let them swing. Set ah example. Nothing else working. When Ramesh decided to let Dole and dem swing hush hush early morning (dey truth bout dem hanging is yet to be told) didn't the crime rate decreased for several months ? Petty thief was the biggest crime at that time.

The criminals doing whatever they want and getting away with it because they know the Government hands up in the air. Take bout 3 from condemn ward, datz all. Doh care what age or crime, just set ah example.

You reading the newspapers and seeing these fellas in handcuffs with big grin on their faces heading into court or on their way to jail, and you have to think that they happy. Free food, exercise and no bills to pay, when the innocent people on the outside have to make their own personal curfews, burglar proof up they house like ah jail and worry everytime dey chile walk out dey front door. Why ? steupse

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 04:34:23 PM by TriniCana »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »

Not in the US it isn't.  No one has ever done a study in the caribbean but I'm willing to bet that in a smaller society such as TnT it could be a factor.

I'd say that overall punishment as a whole is no real deterrence to crime though... simply because criminals focus more on the act and the opportunity to consummate it, rather than stopping to consider the potential of being caught and punished.

Is that the case?

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »
Several years ah back i saying let dem swing. Whether it deterring crime or not, let them swing. Set ah example. Nothing else working. When Ramesh decided to let Dole and dem swing hush hush early morning (dey truth bout dem hanging is yet to be told) didn't the crime rate decreased for several months ? Petty thief was the biggest crime at that time.

The criminals doing whatever they want and getting away with it because they know the Government hands up in the air. Take bout 3 from condemn ward, datz all. Doh care what age or crime, just set ah example.

You reading the newspapers and seeing these fellas in handcuffs with big grin on their faces heading into court or on their way to jail, and you have to think that they happy. Free food, exercise and no bills to pay, when the innocent people on the outside have to make their own personal curfews, burglar proof up they house like ah jail and worry everytime dey chile walk out dey front door. Why ? steupse

Deterrent or not, its the cheaper option. Kill dem and spend d money saved on making sure the next generation dont f**k up in the same way

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 09:57:31 PM »
Deterrent or not, its the cheaper option.

Actually, it isn't.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

A long time ago as part of the former Trintoc debating series my colleague and I did research on captial punishment and in countries such as the US where it is practiced the records showed that it did NOT deter crime.  The main source we used was a book called "Should we hang" by Delroy Chuck.  So according to data accumulated and referenced in this book it does not deter crime in the US.  Now this bk was published in the late 80s if my memory serves me correct, but if you have more updated stats please share.

On another but similar note, this tragic story is reminiscent of the death of the CIC old boy about 18 months ago outside of 51 degrees, he too was going abroad.  This is the particularly sickening aspect of what's transpiring now (to me anyway), gov't personnel and civilians alike seem to be quick to quote that the increased crime rate is affecting primarily the criminal element.  One loss of life for is too much particularly when they are major contributors to society who evidently care for others.....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »
What is quite painful for me is the public is getting so use to reading, hearing and sometimes witnessing a murder that now it's the 'norm.' Is this where we reach ? Or does it take the gruesome murder of some prominent figure in Trinidad (not even Tobago) or even a prominent businessman from foreign for the Government to act ? The last murder (Raphael nephew doh count, dat was ah inside job by he secretary.)  Is the same way how they cleaning up the Beetham because of some summit in the future. Same way when Kenrick Rennie; remember he ? when he was killed in a motorcar accident because of poor lighting plus there wasn't any landing/boulder on the highway up Santa Rosa area. Ain't by the next month lighting and landing appeared ? So, is it that something has to happen before something is done ???

If that is the damn case.....well :-\

PLEASE note I'm not promoting nothing, just talking reality here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 08:31:32 AM by TriniCana »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »

A long time ago as part of the former Trintoc debating series my colleague and I did research on captial punishment and in countries such as the US where it is practiced the records showed that it did NOT deter crime.  The main source we used was a book called "Should we hang" by Delroy Chuck.  So according to data accumulated and referenced in this book it does not deter crime in the US.  Now this bk was published in the late 80s if my memory serves me correct, but if you have more updated stats please share.

On another but similar note, this tragic story is reminiscent of the death of the CIC old boy about 18 months ago outside of 51 degrees, he too was going abroad.  This is the particularly sickening aspect of what's transpiring now (to me anyway), gov't personnel and civilians alike seem to be quick to quote that the increased crime rate is affecting primarily the criminal element.  One loss of life for is too much particularly when they are major contributors to society who evidently care for others.....

I think Bakes agrees that the DP doesn't deter crime in the U.S.  He was saying that it might have a different effect on a smaller society such as T&T.  I have no basis- factual nor intuitive to agree or disagree with that notion.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »

Kicker has it right... I'm in agreement with him (and you) that the death penalty has not proven to be a deterrent here in the U.S.  Even if I wanted to dispute it this isn't the sort of thing I'd readily have 'stats' available for, capital punishment isn't my area of focus... most of what I know is picked up from the odd lecture or presentation here and there.

As much as I'd like to believe that it can have a role in deterring crime in TnT, even that I'm not positive of.  I remember a couple years ago I took a look at the murder statistics for Trinidad in the period leading up to and subsequent to the execution of the Chadee gang... murders actually increased in the first 3-4 months after the hangings.  Can't recall if there was an appreciable decline after that.  So who knows...

On another note, personally I'm not philosophically opposed to the death penalty... I think that there are crimes that certainly are deserving of death.  The system is just too fraught with problems here in the U.S. for me to support it.  Trinidad has it's own unique problems I'm sure, but I'm certainly more supportive of it's implementation there.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 03:32:27 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »
Sense fellas, all in all a serious problem that needs a solution, sooner rather than later....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »

Actually, it isn't.

Y isnt it cheaper?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »
people who argue against the death penalty mainly use a very flawed argument that goes kinda like:
It is does not deter crime:

The two states with the most executions in 2003, Texas 24, and Oklahoma 14, saw increases in their murder rates from 2002 to 2003.  Both states had murder rates above the national average in 2003:  Texas - 6.4, and Oklahoma - 5.9.  The top 13 states in terms of murder rates were all death penalty states. The murder rate of the death penalty states increased from 2002, while the rate in non-death penalty states decreased.Death Penalty Information Center

from a logical point of view, this is not the proper application of logic...or even how to use statistics to make an inference (statistical inferencing) - what would the murder rate in these states be if these states abolished the death penalty?  how long does it take for the situation to stabilize and the criminals to realize, okay they not hanging nobody so I doh really have to worry about that.

the other argument which is the one I can relate to is the state sponsored murder of innocent people (the number of times the system is wrong)...but like this dude, if everybody see and testify and they sure is him, and he even say is him...beyond any doubt...then I think he should hang.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2008, 02:00:05 PM »

Actually, it isn't.

In the Caribbean it could be the cheapest option.

Death sentence is not an effective deterrent to crime because the punishment is not carried out immediately.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »
Do we in this thread have answers or ways to curb the increase in crime in Trinidad and Tobago ?
Seems like some of you do.

Okay!

As the Minister of National Security of Trinidad and Tobago, the Prime Minister handed you a budget of let's say 1.5 millionUSTT dollars and says to you 'I want to see a decrease in crime in 1 year - do what you want.'

* Step by step show everybody your plans.
* Doh show me what other people write, no links...nothing like that. I want your thoughts.

Who knows, those reporters who like to visit the forum often, and like to take snips of what people write in here, ya idea might end up on front page. So use proper english and use fullstop and commas.

Thanks

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »

Actually, it isn't.

Death sentence is not an effective deterrent to crime because the punishment is not carried out immediately.

For me, administering the death penalty is about saving money that could be better used elsewhere. It doesnt need to be a deterrent...it costs alot of money to keep a 25 yr old man in jail for 50-odd years.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »
Do we in this thread have answers or ways to curb the increase in crime in Trinidad and Tobago ?

Okay!

As the Minister of National Security of Trinidad and Tobago, the Prime Minister handed you a budget of let's say 1.5 millionUSTT dollars and says to you 'I want to see a decrease in crime in 1 year - do what you want.'

* Doh show me what other people write, no links...nothing like that. I want your thoughts.

Who knows, those reporters who like to visit the forum often, and like to take snips of what people write in here, ya idea might end up on front page. So use proper english and use fullstop and commas.

Thanks

I have some ideas, but 1.5 million dollars will on by stationary to write out meh plan.

For starters
1. Set up a base where dispatch is located.
2. A senior officer, a junior officer and a dispatcher at every station. All other officers out patrolling in vehicles individually. Police cars set up similar to police cars in the US.
3. Increased army and police patrols in high risk areas.
4. Build/get a massive building in Chaguanas and use it as traffic branch.
5. In the first 3 months traffic officers do highly increased traffic stops citing drivers for almost any infringements. All traffic citations (no matter where in the country) go to Chaguanas to sort out their citations.
6. With # 5 the highways should always have present police officers at random places.
7. One day every month random medicals are given to police officers. delinquent or guilty officers reprimanded and or dismissed.
8. Youth and community out reach programs involving police, youth and women affairs, Churches, and schools educating youths on community and personal responsibility.

The main thing right now is to make the police visible and effective.

We can sort out the court later.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2008, 03:39:25 PM »
Cana..

I think this a good initiative and something that has crossed my mind to invite discourse of this nature.

You should start a new thread, some might miss this.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
Y isnt it cheaper?

There are heightened procedures built into every capital case, including an exhaustive appeals process.  The costs associated with prosecuting a capital case actually outweighs the costs on average of incarcerating someone for life.  Note I said the costs associated with 'prosecuting'... that's not even including the costs of defending the accused.

That last sentence is speculative.  Even if you killed them right after you ketch them there is absolutely no way of predicting the what type of deterrent effect it would have on crime.  It's not like criminals say "well, I'll go rob and kill dat fella b/c even if they ketch mih they go keep mih on death row fuh 10 yrs before dey kill mih".  Criminals in the moment of their crime hardly ever stop to think about the consequences... they don't think they'll get caught at all.

For me, administering the death penalty is about saving money that could be better used elsewhere. It doesnt need to be a deterrent...it costs alot of money to keep a 25 yr old man in jail for 50-odd years.

Whether killing them would be the cheapest option or not I don't know... but we shouldn't be rushing to execute people all in the name of saving money.  We should most be interested in seeing that justice is done.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »

Okay!

Thanks

The police force needs to be reinvented from top to bottom:

-Improve background screening and psychological testing for all recruits... as well as for present officers.  This is particularly necessary to get a handle on who these police officers are associating with. 
-Implement training to regroom the police service into a professional force...emphasis on professional. 
-Establish mobile command units, and mobile response units. 
-De-centralize the force even more than it already is, with mini command centers set up around the country. 
-Establish permanent police presence in crime hotspots... or at least permanent until crime abates.
-Improve crime lab performance by improving training, techniques and equipment
-Improve surveillance techniques... I read yesterday how police ketch ah fella with $4m in coke after spying on his movements for weeks and trailing him to Piarco.  He realize that police presence was high at the airport so he abort the transaction, not realizing dey was dun on he case.  Dai'z some real Law and Order stuff right dey.

However, with all of this, any changes must be made in coordination with both the legislature (revamped laws, like the life for child molesters measure they announce yesterday) and the judiciary... which might need a separate post by itself.

1]; } ?>