April 23, 2024, 04:21:27 PM

Author Topic: Crimes News Thread  (Read 83072 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
19 murders in one week - PM summons National Security Council
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »
.PM summons National Security Council to meeting
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/19-murders-in-one-week-239097581.html
By Susan Mohammed and Gyasi Gonzales
Story Created: Jan 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM ECT
A week into the new year, and 19 citizens have now been murdered.
In Arouca this morning, Hezekiah Mark, was shot dead. Police were told that at around 7.30a.m, gunshots were heard at Hillview Drive, and Mark, 38, was found in a drain opposite house in which he lived.
In Cedros, a man found his parents dead at the family home and business.

The bodies of Krishna Ramdeen, 63, and wife Radha, 57, were discovered at around 8 a.m. The couple operated the White Diamond bar and mini mart at Fullerton Village, Cedros, and would normally open at 5 a.m. However, when early morning customer found the placed locked, a son, Ravi Ramdeen was called to the place to unlock it.

He found his parents dead on the ground floor. The woman had been suffocated with a plastic bag. It is uncertain how Krihsna Ramdeen died. Police said there was blood everywhere. The Ramdeens were parents of four and grandparents of eight. The Express was told that about a month ago, the couple began burglar proofing the premises after a robbery. Residents said the couple was decent and law abiding and had no known enemies.

Krishna Ramdeen was said to be enfeebled by a stroke. Outside the house, a daughter Rani Ramdeen screamed "hang them! Hang them when you all find them. That was my mother and father. They didn't do nobody nothing!".

The Office of the Prime Minister this afternoon disclosed that Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, as Chairman of the National Security Council (NSC), has summoned the Council to a meeting for 3.30p.m. A statement is expected to be issued at the end of the meeting.

(Multimedia Editor - richard.charan@trinidadexpress.com)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: 19 murders in one week - PM summons National Security Council
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
It seems that these corrupt self centered leaders we have in T&T will only take dealing with the spate of crime and murders in the country seriously when some one close to them becomes a victim or when they believe the issue may negatively affect their chances of being voted back into power.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »
From the grapevine, Police ain't interested in turning up on time for these murders on time. Hopefully this scandal will make people demand more from the police

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »
They couldn't even bother to find a picture of trini - picture looks like an American ejecting a shotgun shell

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
More up to date stats. You can sort by rate, count, region, country. Also has a table for the top 10 highest rates by country since 1995. El Salvador has 6 entries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
More up to date stats. You can sort by rate, count, region, country. Also has a table for the top 10 highest rates by country since 1995. El Salvador has 6 entries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The 80s ... a heyday of tranquility?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »
Jack: a great black saviour on a shiny black steed?
 By Selwyn Ryan
Mar 16, 2013

Part of the problem is that unlike what obtains in much of Latin America, Trinidadians, like Jamaicans, are ambivalent about the use of extrajudicial executions by the police. They are not disposed to use the level of force which that option requires.

Hegel would probably snort that Trinidad is still trying to use lavender water to heal its gangrenous flesh.

The idea of a secretly and illegally recruited "ton ton macoute" such as one had in Grenada or Haiti is still abhorrent to a majority of Trinidadians. They want a respite from the criminal gangs, but they also want enduring social peace. Hegelians would say that this cannot happen. Only one order can prevail sustainably.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Jack__a_great_black_saviour__on_a_shiny_black_steed_-198640001.html

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
Violence begs more violence; address the social roots of the causes if you want a solution not a cycle. The most dangerous stupidity of suggesting this is that if you give away that type of power you will never get it back - how many militias have voluntarily laid down their arms in history?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
There's a fine line between literalism and naivete. The solution demands a heavy-handed variable.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
Every heavy-handed response produces a generation of kids without fathers and strong desires of revenge. It undermines trust in the police who inevitably catch innocent people in the cross fire and makes a mockery of the right to a fair trial. You kick off cycles of violence through actions like this and reinforce anti-police prejudice, undermining the long-term effectiveness of the police. It's not a coincidence that the poorest or most crime-ridden places in every country trust the police the least.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2014, 05:53:12 AM »
Is it not conceivable to have a systemic, comprehensive, hand-in-glove heavy-handed response that does not forsake the moral integrity of the state as an actor?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:10 AM »
Every heavy-handed response produces a generation of kids without fathers and strong desires of revenge. It undermines trust in the police who inevitably catch innocent people in the cross fire and makes a mockery of the right to a fair trial. You kick off cycles of violence through actions like this and reinforce anti-police prejudice, undermining the long-term effectiveness of the police. It's not a coincidence that the poorest or most crime-ridden places in every country trust the police the least.

Lack of enforcement and lack of heavy handedness has caused the disrespect of Police here. Once you enforcing the law, law breakers not going to like you and is not coincidence that the most crime ridden places probably has the most corrupt policemen leading to massive distrust.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2014, 08:02:34 AM »
Asylum - Not sure it is - if you've ever been on the end of heavy handed police treatment it's not pretty and rarely inspires feelings of justice well served. Often these shows are politically crafted to make it look like the police are doing something, when what they're really doing is moving into heavily stereotyped neighbourhoods that the media/public believe are criminals and shaking things up.

Basically if you have the proof that a person is a criminal then why do you need to be heavy handed? Arrest them and subject them to the law, not the baton. The latter nearly always triggers local riots (rightly/wrongly perceived as victimisation of a community or ethnicity). Which leads to the second point...

Sammy - I think you're half right here - the problem is that the police don't enforce the law, not that they're not heavy handed. If the police didn't suffer from such corruption then you wouldn't need the heavy handedness - indeed the latter is always a symptom of a poorly working police force. Moreover, corruption maintains a status quo rarely conducive the public good. The real problem is corruption and the reluctance to implement the law by those entrusted with that job. The question is why are they so corrupt?

"Who guard de guards"?

The countries with the lowest crime rates simply don't have to resort to heavy handedness because they tackle the problems of crime and re-offending in non-violent ways. One of the major failings of society is re-offending, especially in non-Scandinavian countries. There, they make sure that prisoners don't lose their links to the local community and their family, so that when they leave prison they have a healthy support network that can keep them out of the trouble they initially found themselves in. These networks offer them alternative ways to live their life away from crime. Where do you think prisoners go to when they come out of prison in T&T?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
We can arrive at the solution without police brutality. Broaden your definition.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
We can arrive at the solution without police brutality. Broaden your definition.

We might be in agreement then - what is your definition of heavy handedness? Or alternatively, what tougher actions are you prescribing?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2014, 03:55:38 PM »

We might be in agreement then - what is your definition of heavy handedness? Or alternatively, what tougher actions are you prescribing?

Those entrusted with authority should execute that authority evenly, zealously, firmly, timely, fearlessly, neutrally and purposefully ... rendering the weight of authority on those who need to feel it and those who properly fall within the scope of the entrusted authority.

This isn't a painful proposition; however, it's the departure point for ridding the scene of detritus. If everyone does his or her job steadfastly, without compromising the authority of the state, the results would flow from the heavy hand of the appropriate exercise of state authority.

However, at this stage, the collective social contract that requires is viewed as a fairy tale ... given the vacuums in the appropriate exercise of authority that exist already.

I'm not prescribing anything until my phone rings.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:57:18 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »

Those entrusted with authority should execute that authority evenly, zealously, firmly, timely, fearlessly, neutrally and purposefully ... rendering the weight of authority on those who need to feel it and those who properly fall within the scope of the entrusted authority.

This isn't a painful proposition; however, it's the departure point for ridding the scene of detritus. If everyone does his or her job steadfastly, without compromising the authority of the state, the results would flow from the heavy hand of the appropriate exercise of state authority.

However, at this stage, the collective social contract that requires is viewed as a fairy tale ... given the vacuums in the appropriate exercise of authority that exist already.

So you're saying what I said that they should do their job? And you believe teh failure of the social contract between citizens and the government necessitates some other action you're not willing to talk about?

Why are you afraid to prescribe anything?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »

So you're saying what I said that they should do their job? And you believe teh failure of the social contract between citizens and the government necessitates some other action you're not willing to talk about?

Fear is a defense mechanism that plays a role in survival. However, it's not the noun guiding my position.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

Fear is a defense mechanism that plays a role in survival. However, it's not the noun guiding my position.

Sophistry is great and all, but if you didn't want to discuss the issue then why bring it up?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »

Sophistry is great and all, but if you didn't want to discuss the issue then why bring it up?

Forgive me, I don't recall entering this discussion to resolve a long-standing area of deficient public policy in T&T. I'm quite happy to set the parameters of what I wish (or do not wish) to express, and I'm happy that you have that privilege also.

Sophistry would apply but for its absence here.

Nonetheless, since violent crime has been rampant and pernicious in the country for a significant period of time, you'll find that it's been a topic addressed on various threads. I've chimed in here or there ... presumably, within personal parameters.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
some nice words to add to my list ...

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
From 2008 to now January has been a bloody month.......38-47 murders on average............they not interested in fixing crime in T&T just smoke and mirrors to tief people head.......and it's not just criminals killing criminals.......there is evil lurking there
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:04:16 PM by Agent Jack Bauer »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2014, 06:47:39 AM »
Has there been some explosion in the availability of weapons, or some other trigger? Seems like gangs are fighting for control but no one has enough power to gain dominance

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »
C News Live

The Murder Toll for 2014 now stands at 43 after shootings in Diego Martin, Morvant.
Details:

http://ow.ly/t5vNV

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
Nurse found dead in car trunk
By SUSAN MOHAMMED
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Nurse-found-dead-in-car-trunk-242754471.html

Story Created: Jan 30, 2014 at 10:42 AM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM ECT

A NURSE was discovered dead in the trunk of her car at the San Fernando General Hospital this morning. Jaya Dubay-Ramrattan, 32, had been reported missing since Friday.

Dubay-Ramrattan, of Wilson Road, Clarke Road, Penal, was found by crime scene investigators who were examining her Hyundai Elantra.

Dubay-Ramrattan had worked at the St Ann's Hospital and at a private hospital in Cocorite. The Express was told that a neighbour of Dubay-Ramrattan, who knew she had been missing went to the hospital and saw the vehicle in the car park. He informed her relatives, who in turn, informed the police.

According to police, at around 4 a.m. police officers towed the vehicle to the Barrackpore Police Station. At the police station when CSI opened the trunk of the car, they found Dubay-Ramrattan's body.
Police said that a relative of Dubay-Ramrattan went to the St James Police Station and reported her missing.

He told police that on Friday, he received a text from her telling him that she was going to lime with other nurses. He said after several days, she did not return home. He told police that he went to her workplace in search of her, but was told that she did not report for duty for several days.

An autopsy is expected to be performed on her body today.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Gunmen jump man on way to peace meeting
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Gunmen jump man on way to peace meeting
Published: Monday, March 17, 2014 (T&T Guardian)
Jensen LaVende

A man seeking to make peace in an ongoing feud was killed in Santa Cruz yesterday as the murder toll rose to 102 people for the year. The latest victim to die by the gun was 29-year-old Jeffon “Cash” Jordan, whose two attackers fired at him 13 times as he made his way to what was supposed to have been a peace meeting. According to relatives, Jordan, a father of three — two girls and one boy, the eldest five and youngest two months — went to Upper Bass Street, Santa Cruz, around 8 am yesterday to try to resolve an issue he had with men from the area last week. Jordan’s sister told the T&T Guardian her brother was telephoned by men he had had an altercation with last week. The men told him they wanted to bury the hatchet. But police said around 8.30 am as he made his way to the meeting, two masked men approached Jordan and opened fire on him, killing him instantly. At the scene yesterday, police said Jordan was known to them, while residents were heard saying he was often seen brandishing his illegal firearm for all to see and would “terrorise people.” An unidentified man stood near the police caution tape speaking to Jordan’s lifeless body and saying that he “looked for it.” At his Cocoa Road, Upper Santa Cruz, home, Jordan’s mother offered no comment to the media as family members began gathering to lend some support.

Shift in pattern
In a telephone interview with the T&T Guardian yesterday, deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime) Glen Hackett expressed concerned about the increasing murders toll, noting it started off on the heels of “inordinate murders” at the end of 2013. He said the murders were at one point concentrated to two divisions, Port-of-Spain and Northern, but there was a shift in this pattern and murders were now being recorded in divisions outside of the “traditional areas.” “We have effectively controlled the murder rate in four areas because of the interdiction result of road checks and roadblocks. We have recovered so far over 1,000 rounds of ammunition and 125 firearms,” Hackett said. He added that the police have intensified their efforts with a view to curbing the trend, however, as they were mindful of the trauma that murders have on the victims’ relatives. He said they were using all their resources to make the country safer.

Bloody weekend
Jordan’s killing took the weekend toll to six. Around 2.30 pm on Saturday, Ancil Greene, 25, of Upper Sixth Avenue, Barataria, was killed at his home. Police said two masked, armed men stormed into Greene’s home and enquired about his whereabouts. Police said one of the assailants placed a gun to the head of Greene’s father and ordered him to call his son. When Greene arrived some 20 minutes later, the gunmen shot him in front his parents. About three hours later, Sean Nurse, 34, of Pt Pleasant Park, Laventille, was shot dead while liming with a group of friends. Police said around 5.30 pm, Emanuel McKenzie, 17, of Upper Laventille Road, Laventille, and Akim Phillips, 16, of Mulrain Trace, Laventille, were with Nurse near the Laventille Health Centre, Laventille Road, when a vehicle approached.
The occupants opened fire on the group before escaping. Nurse was shot several times in the chest and was pronounced dead on arrival at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital. Sometime later, police said Stephen Mannette, 52, of Despers Drive, off Laventille Road, Laventille, was standing in the roadway near his home when residents of the area heard several gunshots. When they checked they found Mannette in a pool of blood. On Sunday around 3.30 am, police said Devanand Bholai, 40, was at his Biche Village home with his family, when they were awakened by loud noises from outside. Two armed men then forced their way inside and ordered everyone into the living room, where they robbed them. As the men were leaving, however, one of them shot Bholai in his upper body and head in front of his relatives, killing him instantly. And around 6.30 pm, residents of Poinsettia Drive, Morvant, heard several gunshots. When they checked they found Seco Hope, 30, lying on the roadway. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the Eric Williams Medical Science Complex, Mt Hope.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:03:53 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
500 awaiting trial for murder in T&T.
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »
500 awaiting trial for murder in T&T.
By Janelle De Souza (Newsday).

Over 500 persons are awaiting trial for murder in Trinidad and Tobago, and with approximately seven years for an indictable matter to go to trial, these cases are unlikely to be heard anytime soon if the justice system continues as is, Chief Justice Ivor Archie said yesterday.

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, however, noted a steady increase of funds allocated to the Judiciary with each National Budget, wondering why was the justice system not working more efficiently.

Ramlogan also raised the idea of plea bargaining to decrease the number of cases that go to trial.

Archie however, countered stating that the funding was still deficient and that he was limited by the restrictions placed on spending.

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Roger Gaspard responded to Ramlogan’s suggestion of plea bargaining, saying that, with the low detection rate and lack of strength of evidence, criminals have no real motivation to “cop a plea.”

The men were speaking yesterday as part of a panel discussion at the Dana Saroop Seetahal Symposium: Re-engineering the Criminal Justice System, at the Noor Hassanali Auditorium at the St Augustine Campus of the University of the West Indies.

In his contribution, Archie identified three main stumbling blocks of the judicial system namely preliminary inquiries; juries; and the rules of evidence, particularly against hearsay.

At the moment, he said, Trinidad and Tobago simply has a different type of preliminary inquiry than originally used - that the layers of processes take time in the magistrates’ court and that it was necessary to repeat the process again in the High Court. He suggested the DPP decide who to prosecute indictably or summarily.

On the subject of juries, Archie said it was “the most inefficient way” of conducting a trial.

“We as lawyers, whether the advocates or the judge, then have to try to explain all the concepts that we think we understand, to a jury, who we are never quite certain, ever understands it,” he said.

Archie expressed concern that, with a jury, there was a chance that the trail would be swayed by a more skilled negotiator, instead of by a forensic exercise, assessing information to arrive at a verdict consistent with the law.

“If it is the latter, then we are handing the most critical part of the exercise to people who are not trained to perform it, and who operate with no transparancy or accountability. If we really think about it, many of the evidential rules and regulations that we have are really all about protecting the jury from making illogical mistakes and false assumptions,” he said.

Responding to Ramlogan’s comment that the allocation for the administration of justice in the National Budget increased from $339 million in 2010 to $366 million in 2012 and his wondering why then was the justice system not running more efficiently, Archie said the administration of justice was under-resourced. He said $360 million was less than 0.5 percent of the National Budget while the benchmark in countries with “efficient and productive” judicial systems, was approximately two to three percent of the Budget.

“If I could manage it without all the strictures that attend public service expenditure. For God sake, do not give me responsibility and not the freedom to manage!” he said.

In suggesting a “conversational approach towards litigation” in the form of plea bargains, Ramlogan noted that in the United States, 90 to 95 percent of criminal cases do not reach trial because of the use of plea bargains.

“What we want is a court system that is effective, that is fair and just but one that can change the social and political culture and psychology of the court from one where the people are there to serve the court to where the courts are there to serve the people,” said Ramlogan.

However, Gaspard slammed the idea, stating that while the statistics sound good, the reason persons charged with criminal offences were inclined to plead guilty, that plea bargaining was so effective in the United States was because of the strength of evidence gathered and presented.

“How can we in this jurisdiction shout about the benefits of plea bargaining out of one side of our mouths and then out of the other, we talk about low detection rates. Do the criminals not know, do persons who are charged with criminal offences not know, that detection rates in Trinidad and Tobago, and indeed in the Caribbean, are particularly and disappointingly low?” he asked.

Gaspard said if there were so many problems that affect the speedy delivery of justice, there was no incentive for those charged with criminal offences to plead guilty.

Ramlogan later agreed, stating that as the legislation was not yet written, incentives to plead could be included. In addition, he noted that citizens were ahead of the law, using technology to fight crime by broadcasting pictures of criminals, missing persons or stolen vehicles to their friends, allowing others to be on the alert.

“We need to break the mould, set a new paradigm, and move forward with a different manner of thinking,” he said. Ramlogan also noted that the Abolition of Preliminary Inquiries Bill was passed by the Lower House and will go to the Senate soon, that Plea Bargaining legislation was being drafted and that changes in the DNA, fingerprint, and Financial Intelligence Unit laws were being debated.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Crime situation in T&T.
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2015, 02:48:50 AM »
Guns gone wild.
By Alexander Bruzual and Susan Mohammed

BABY FIGHTS FOR LIFE

Up to press time yesterday, an 18-month-old baby boy was fighting for his life at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope after he was shot in the back of his head by unknown assailants yesterday afternoon.

According to police reports, at about 4.30 p.m. yesterday, Lichel Francois, 29, was holding her 18-month-old son, Imani George, in her arms as they were seated in a taxi parked on the corner of Prince and Nelson Streets, Port of Spain, when several loud explosions rang out.

Francois felt an intense burning sensation in her left hand, however, she also observed her son was bleeding from an injury to his head.

Fearful for her child’s life, the Emergency Health Services (EHS) were imme­diately contacted and the two were rushed to the Port of Spain General Hospital.

Francois was immediately treated and discharged, however, baby Imani was transferred to Mt Hope for further treatment.

Up to press time, he was said to be in a critical condition, undergoing emergency surgery to save his life.

The Express was told by police they had received information a vehicle occu­pied by five men was proceeding east along Prince Street when, without warning, the occupants of the car were seen with guns, firing at persons who were along the roadway.

Investigations are continuing.

In an unrelated incident, on Monday night, a 32-year-old Penal woman was shot when the vehicle in which she was travelling stopped on the Beetham highway.

Murlesha Mazid, of San Francique, is warded at the Port of Spain General Hospital.

According to a police report, Mazid was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Rajpath Balgobin, of Clarke Road, Penal, heading east along the Beetham Highway.

Police said at around 8 p.m., Balgobin stopped on the shoulder of the highway because of an emergency. Several loud explosions were heard.

Balgobin sped off and moments later, Mazid said she felt a burning sensation on her left arm.

Balgobin drove to the hospital where she was treated for gunshot wounds. Bul­let holes were also found in the vehicle.

A report was made at the Besson Street Police Station.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:06:39 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>