April 17, 2024, 10:52:34 PM

Author Topic: White Sorority wins Step Show... some people are upset...  (Read 3611 times)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
White Sorority wins Step Show... some people are upset...
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:07:57 AM »
http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/02/27/360919/white-teams-step-show-victory.html

ATLANTA -- Visit any of the nation's more than 100 historically black colleges or universities and you'll see clusters of men and women engaged in the rhythmic clapping and foot-stomping routines known in black Greek circles as "stepping."

Now a white Arkansas team's win in an Atlanta step competition has started a fiery debate over the African-inspired tradition and whether the integration of a once ethnically exclusive activity constitutes a form of cultural theft.

"What has happened is black youth culture, what people would call hip-hop, sort of made black culture accessible and appealing to all kinds of people," said Walter Kimbrough, president of historically black Philander Smith College in Little Rock, Ark., and an expert on black Greek life. "It really now has become an American experience."

The uproar began when the all-white Zeta Tau Alpha team from the University of Arkansas beat out five other sorority teams to win last weekend's national final in the Sprite Step Off competition. A YouTube video of their performance, inspired by the movie "The Matrix," generated hundreds of comments.

Posters questioned everything from whether a white group should have been allowed to compete to whether judges wowed by the unlikely competitors inflated their scores to let them win. "Good Job but let the Black folks have their own thing for once!!!" wrote one commenter, who said the Zeta Tau Alpha team did well but should not have won.

On Thursday, sponsor Coca-Cola announced "scoring discrepancies" and said the runner-up - the Alpha Kappa Alpha team from Indiana University, whose members are black - would share first place and receive the same $100,000 in scholarship money that the Zeta Tau Alphas won.

It was unclear what the discrepancies were, and Coca-Cola would not elaborate. The tournament began in September with regional qualifying rounds across the country.

Pulling from things like military cadences and dance routines, stepping usually involves stomping out rhythms in heavy boots or loud shoes, with emphasis on precision and flair. Step crews often travel from coast to coast to earn cash, trophies and bragging rights for the most precise or clever routine.

In the early 1990s the fierce competition began to gain attention off historically black campuses, with large sponsors hosting events, Kimbrough said. Before then, competitions were mostly organized by fraternity and sorority chapters.

EmailPrintOrder Reprint Share: Yahoo! Buzz Text

truetrini

Re: White Sorority wins Step Show... some people are upset...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »
next thing white people start complaining that black people wearing clothes...lol

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
I find Eminem should stop with the rap too.

But seriously, now the prize was 100,000 they saying whites getting involved and SPrite white so ah white group win...look for Coke to sponsor one soon.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:34:26 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
Who were the judges????!!!!!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
why are people upset? because the judges were biased or because is ah all white group that win? if it's because of the latter, then those who are upset should come out of the dark ages...no pun inteneded!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
who upset?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »
is controversial coz they white.

sound like "reverse" racism to me.

next thing dem white gyul go start taking away black man from the sisters.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
who upset?

the same people who was vex when a white fella was the valedictorian at Morehouse College...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »
is controversial coz they white.

sound like "reverse" racism to me.

next thing dem white gyul go start taking away black man from the sisters.

this is the exact facking shit does cause meh blood to boil. Why can't people stay within dey own race?

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »

this is the exact facking shit does cause meh blood to boil. Why can't people stay within dey own race?

why should they?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 11:55:35 AM »

why should they?

to preserve the quality of the gene pool.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »

why should they?

to preserve the quality of the gene pool.

But there is only one race, no? Are you referring to ethnicity or culture perhaps?
I had your same response from a knight of the Aryan Brotherhood, many years ago. Preservation of the purity. He had no compunction about preserving this purity by any means necessary and had 'no problem with me once I stayed within my own...' and here he used the word 'species' not race.

What does this preservation accomplish and for those who are mixed, does this mean there is yet other 'races' being born? Should they be destroyed as mistakes?

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
hold on right here...i am a frat boy and have stepped in loads of step shows over the years.  the white sorority in question here used some steps from black frats and sororities, and yes they executed with precision but i saw a clip of a black sorority called alpha kappa alpha and those girls also did a good job...and they had a higher degree of difficulty in some cases (they did a step on  1 leg for gooodness sake).

i not saying zeta tau alpha should not have won but i want to know what the criteria for winning was...because to me AKAs had a damn good step show too.  but in the end anybody who went enuf step show over the years know it had plenty cases where the best step team ent win...such is the nature of the beast. 

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
hold on right here...i am a frat boy and have stepped in loads of step shows over the years.  the white sorority in question here used some steps from black frats and sororities, and yes they executed with precision but i saw a clip of a black sorority called alpha kappa alpha and those girls also did a good job...and they had a higher degree of difficulty in some cases (they did a step on  1 leg for gooodness sake).

i not saying zeta tau alpha should not have won but i want to know what the criteria for winning was...because to me AKAs had a damn good step show too.  but in the end anybody who went enuf step show over the years know it had plenty cases where the best step team ent win...such is the nature of the beast. 

You must be from Alpha Phi Alpha to say dem aka was that good... :devil:

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »

You must be from Alpha Phi Alpha to say dem aka was that good... :devil:

nah breds i am a kappa alpha psi...and yes the akas were good, i mean they had all the ingredients for a step show...style, good steps, had the crowd hyped...they put on a show while the zta stepped

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 06:23:45 PM »
 ;)

macomeh, if yuh ever meet jumbie or he wife, yuh go realise yuh raisin yuh blood pressure for no reason
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
I've seen the photo on FB. So is only Jumbie could be a devil's advocate?
steupse...

I looking for a ole talk and all yuh scatter... ???

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
next thing white people start complaining that black people wearing clothes...lol

:rotfl: u go kill me.  :rotfl:
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 05:11:00 AM »
At first when I saw the article last week on facebook ah say "whey say daiz ah sure sign of the endtimes", but ah watch their show and dem girls was boss. Yes, they definitely took steps from black sororities and fraternities (I kept wondering who the choreographer was...black or white) but in the end they were just plan nice. Big Up Zeta.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 03:09:02 PM »
nice, very nice, creativity and showmanship, colour will be a thing of the past in the next 20-30 years, God willing

1]; } ?>