April 19, 2024, 08:52:04 PM

Author Topic: Cornell Glen Thread.  (Read 31298 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cornell Glen thread....
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 11:34:19 PM »
Nice hat trick. The third was special.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hat-trick hero Cornell Glen saves Shillong Lajong from relegation
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »
Hat-trick hero Cornell Glen saves Shillong Lajong from relegation
http://www.goal.com/en-india/match/shillong-lajong-vs-east-bengal/1981074/report

WATCH Cornell Glen score his second hat-trick of the season in Shillong Lajong’s 5-1 thrashing of East Bengal which helped them to avoid relegation. He also had an assist on the first goal. Glen finished the season with 16 goals in 19 appearances.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JXB5jNBlajI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JXB5jNBlajI</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Glen close to signing for Bharat
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
Glen close to signing for Bharat
By Rahul Bali (goal.com)

The 34-year-old striker will be the Pune-based club’s marquee signing for the 2015-16 season…

Shillong Lajong’s Cornell Glen is all set to join Bharat FC, Goal can reveal.

The former LA Galaxy striker was one of the most lethal strikers in the just concluded I-League, having scored 16 goals in 19 appearances. He was also the joint top scorer last season with 14 strikes in 19 matches.

“Glen has already undergone a medical last week,” informed a source close to the club.

Glen's addition would certainly bolster Bharat FC's attack who finished at the bottom of the table and had an unenviable record of scoring the least number of goals in the league - 13.

Meanwhile, Bharat FC have roped in Mumbai FC duo of Sampath Kuttymani and Ashutosh Mehta.

The Lions of Pune have also added Chinta Chandrashekhar on their roster for the next season. The club was also said to be in talks with Royal Wahingdoh defender Chhakchhuak Lallawmzuala.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »
Bharat FC's temerity in finalizing transfers troubling
By Rahul Bali (goal.com)

The Lions of Pune have been timid in closing out the deals they had agreed at least a month ago.

Bharat FC are yet to sign a player for the 2015-16 season as the club has delayed handing out contracts.

The Pune-based outfit had agreed deals with several players, including the likes of Cornell Glen, Fulganco Cardozo, Justin Stephen, Ashutosh Mehta, Chinta Chandrashekhar, Sampath Kuttymani, Darren Caldeira and Chhakchhuak Lallawmzuala. Offer letters were dispatched back in the first week of June after the said players passed their medical tests.

However, since then there has been no development whatsoever.

“We were informed that the club’s owner Amit Kalyani would return to Pune on June 11th and thereby, the contracts would be signed on June 12th or 13th. But there has been no communication from the club as to when the contracts would be offered as their club management has suddenly gone mum,” informed one of the agents whose player’s future is in limbo.

“The club’s management haven’t told us when Amit Kalyani would decide to sign a contract. It seems for the last 20 days or so, the owner hasn’t spoken to the club’s management. If the issue isn’t resolved in the next couple of days or so, we would look to sign our players elsewhere,” alleged another agent.

At the end of 2014-15 season, the club informed their players who are expected to play in the Indian Super League (ISL) that their futures would be resolved after the second season of the tournament.

"Players who weren't going to be a part of the ISL, were informed by Bharat management that their future is open ended," validated a player who was on Bharat FC's roster last season.

It is also reliably learnt that the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) senior management are aware of the current issue and their president Praful Patel having a dialogue with Kalyani isn’t ruled out.

The ISL listed five players, namely Mehta, Chandrashekhar, Stephen, Kuttymani and Cardozo, amongst those loaned from Bharat FC from the draft scheduled for July 10. However, none of the above mentioned players are yet to sign a contract with the Pune club.

Meanwhile, Bharat FC’s CEO Suvrat Thatte informed that they are in the process of identifying targets for the coming season.

“At the moment we are zeroing in on our targets for the coming season. While some have been identified, we are also awaiting the ISL draft, future targets will be discussed then,” he told Goal.

Thatte stated that the club’s legal team are very much in negotiations with the said parties as opposed to what the agents and players have claimed.

“Our legal team is in negotiation with the players/agents and a few things (clauses) regarding the contracts are being discussed. We are awaiting for these to be ironed out. Also our technical team (coach Stuart Watkiss) is currently out of India but is monitoring the potential players and future targets will be determined in consultation with them,” Thatte explained.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mohun Bagan strikes a deal with Cornell Glen
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
Mohun Bagan strikes a deal with Cornell Glen
By Atanu Mitra (goal.com)

The Mariners have decided to rope in the experienced striker, who is expected to arrive in Kolkata in a fortnight.

I-League defending champions Mohun Bagan have finally struck a deal with former Trinidad and Tobago World Cupper Cornell Glen to strengthen their squad after a disastrous Calcutta Football League (CFL) campaign, Goal can reveal.

The two parties have been in talks for the last few weeks and coach Sanjoy Sen had informed of the club's desire to get his prized signature. On the other hand, Glen had signed an agreement with Bharat FC in the summer but with the club choosing not to participate in the I-League, the deal collapsed.

Mohun Bagan had to request for a release from Shillong Lajong, the last team the player represented. According to sources in the know of things, this proved to be a major roadblock.

Glen has been one of the most prolific stirkers in Indian football, scoring 30 goals in the last two seasons for Lajong.

Mohun Bagan have released Gustavo and Dudu Omagbemi after the CFL, while Sony Norde's reluctance to sign on the dotted line has been a cause of concern for the officials. Judelin Aveska, the Haiti defender has also left Kolkata to represent his national team.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Glen lifts the lid on his T&T career secrets and W/Cup injury.
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2015, 03:43:56 AM »
Look trouble now: Glen lifts the lid on his T&T career secrets and W/Cup injury.
By Lasana Liburd (wired868).

“Up to this day, people still label me as a troublemaker,” ex-Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup attacker Cornell Glen told Wired868. “But if standing up for what you believe is right and what you believe you are worth is being a troublemaker, then I will be a troublemaker for the rest of my life…

“Since I started playing for the national team, there was no (health) insurance. So when a player gets injured, which has happened to me on numerous occasions, you get nothing from the national team.”

The 35-year-old Glen, who now earns his living playing professionally in India, has never been one to mince words. He spoke to Wired868 recently in a wide-ranging interview that covered his club and international career.

In Part One, the gifted former St Agnes Anglican Primary School and Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive student discussed the birth of his football career and his troubles on and off the field:

Wired868: How did you get started in football?

Cornell Glen: I started playing from about 5 or 6 years old. I was just playing on the streets with my brothers or against the bigger guys on the basketball court in Cocorite. I never went to any coaching school.

I have seven siblings; it was four boys and four girls. We all played sports, whether it was football, basketball or netball, and there was always competition. I was the second to last child and third boy. (His younger brother, Cyrano Glen, plays for Saddle Hill Hotspur and is a former Pro League player with San Juan Jabloteh)…

Then, I used to see it as every minute playing was a minute out of trouble… Later on, you start to see your potential and realise you can make a living out of it. And it can be a way out of the ghetto and to have a good life.

Wired868: Can you tell us about when you turned professional?

Glen: I had played with the Trinidad and Tobago National Under-17 Team for the deceased Arthur “Jap” Brown and he brought me into (then Pro League team) Futgof straight after I finished school (at Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive)…

The idea they sold me on was great because it was all about developing youth players to move them overseas, which is why so many young players at the time migrated to Futgof. But financially it didn’t work out (for the club).

I got the chance to go to Portugal then when I was just 19 but I came back after two years. It didn’t work out. I found out that my Portuguese agent (named) was (allegedly) taking money from the club to keep me there (in the Second Division) rather than looking for opportunities for me to go on to bigger and better.

Wired868: What do you mean? And how did you find out?

Glen: I was playing for AD Sanjoanense in the Second Division at the time. And, after about two years, I had started to understand Portuguese. So I was reading an article and saw that a club in the First Division was interested in me. And I started asking around to see why nothing was happening.

And I started getting news that he was taking money from the club. So I called my manager, Michael Awai, back home and we eventually found out from someone inside the club that it was true. They were (allegedly) paying him under the table to keep me there as long as possible.

I got upset and I just wanted to go home. Awai organised a trial for me with Peterborough (then in the equivalent of England League One) and they liked me but I had no national caps. They were asking if I had any family ties or so to England (that might help get a work permit) but I didn’t have any.

Wired868: So you returned home?

Glen: Yeah. I decided to come home and play with San Juan Jabloteh. I played for a year under (then coach) Terry (Fenwick) and a year under Ricky (Hill). In my second year under Ricky, I got an offer from China. At the time, (ex-Trinidad and Tobago internationals) Gary (Glasgow) and Arnold (Dwarika) were in China.

They were offering a lot of money there. It was around US$10,000 a month. And at the same time, I got the offer from the MLS (US Major League Soccer) and they were offering around US$38,000 a year.

So I had a big decision to make. Whether I would take the money and run and probably get lost in China. Or go to the MLS and it could probably help my career in the future.

I went to the MLS. I didn’t make a lot of money but it helped me in terms of learning and gaining exposure and being seen by the national coach.

I think it helped me a lot and it was the right decision.

Wired868: So how did your senior international career get started?

Glen: I played my first game against St Kitts in November 2002. I think it was either Stuart Charles (Fevrier) or (Hannibal) Najjar. Actually, I don’t think I played any game under Najjar. That was when I was blacklisted.

(In fact, Glen made his debut under Najjar and won two senior international caps in the Caribbean Cup qualifying round before he was among 19 players, including World Cup 2006 players Kelvin Jack and Brent Sancho and then team captain Travis Mulraine and vice-captain Gary Glasgow, who were banned from the national team on the eve of a friendly against Finland).

Wired868: How did you manage to be blacklisted from the national team before your international career had even properly begun?

Glen: The conditions were rough then. They were offering about US$200 a game and we were eating bread and cheese after practise. Literally! A few of the senior players spoke to us and we decided to stand up for what was right.

But then someone from within the team went back and told the coach and word got out. And, the day before the game, they brought in a whole new team with mostly players from the Army (who are forbidden from industrial action) and blacklisted everyone who was going to strike…

I wouldn’t say I was a rebel back then… But the conditions were really bad and we had no one to stand up for us. The coaches weren’t going to stand up for us. As a young player, I was 21, I told Kelvin (Jack) and Travis (Mulraine) and the other senior guys that if you’re striking, I’m supporting you guys 110 percent.

But they just brought in 15 soldiers and some other players and played the game (against Finland) and we were blacklisted.

(Najjar called up 10 overseas players for the subsequent Caribbean qualifying round for the 2003 Gold Cup. But Trinidad and Tobago were eliminated and the coach was sacked).

Wired868: How did that incident, so early in your international career, shape your future as a Trinidad and Tobago player?

Glen: Up to this day, people still label me as a troublemaker. But if standing up for what you believe is right and what you believe you are worth is being a troublemaker, then I will be a troublemaker for the rest of my life.

I don’t think players should be playing under those kinds of conditions… We have to respect a player’s worth. Since I started playing for the national team, there was no (health) insurance. So when a player gets injured, which has happened to me on numerous occasions, you get nothing from the national team.

I have lost (job) contracts, I have lost my playing position, I have lost so much from playing with the national team and getting injured. And when you stand up you are victimised for it. I think it is totally wrong and unfair to the players.

And the younger players will never understand it until they go through that.

Wired868: Can you give us examples of times when you were injured and suffered those things?

Glen: The first time that I got injured on national duty that really affected me was in 2004. We were playing against Guatemala (on August 10) and Gary Glasgow broke his foot in that same game.

I was playing for (MLS team, New York/New Jersey) MetroStars at the time. I joined the team (in March 2004) about five or six games into their season. I worked my way into the starting team after two or three games and I scored three goals from four games with the MetroStars and then left after the fourth game to play with the national team.

And I totally messed up my ankle against Guatemala and ended up with torn ligaments. I totally struggled through the season and eventually finished with six goals and I didn’t get any compensation. The second time was at the (2006) World Cup.

Wired868: Well, at least you would have been taken care of after the World Cup injury…

(FIFA provides insurance for players who are injured at the World Cup, which the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation had access to).

Glen: Definitely not. I didn’t get so much as a phone call (after the World Cup) and I didn’t get a cent… I lost my contract at the (MLS club) LA Galaxy because I had a one-year option and they didn’t pick it up since I didn’t play again for the rest of that season.

I got absolutely nothing from the national team after that injury… There is a lot of stuff people don’t know and don’t understand. (The TTFF/TTFA) doesn’t care about the players. A lot of this stuff happens on a regular basis.

You look at the situation with Dwight (Yorke who broke his leg while representing Trinidad and Tobago as a 19-year-old) and people wondered why he didn’t want to play for the national team and give 100 percent.

It is a sort of risk versus reward situation. The risks are high playing with the national team but the reward is not there other than pride. And when you ask to be compensated properly, you are victimised.

Wired868: How long did it take you before you recovered from your knee injury at the 2006 World Cup?

Glen: It took me a year before I started training and a year and a half before I was back to full fitness. And I had to spend my own money!

Galaxy paid to do my surgery and my rehab until the end of my season, so I was thankful for that. After that, I had to come home and pay for my own rehab. I spent at least TT$40,000 on rehab here in Trinidad.

The third time it happened was (on 9 September 2009) when we played the US here (in a 2010 World Cup qualifier). We lost 1-0 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium and I played the whole game, played well, went to Zen, had a good time, woke up in the morning and couldn’t walk.

When I went back to San Jose (and yet another MLS club, San Jose Earthquakes), my MCL was torn…

(Glen pauses, exhales and appears to compose himself).

The national team has helped me a lot, so I don’t want to be ungrateful or complain. I’ve gotten a lot of opportunities as a national player. But it cost me a lot too, especially in 2006 when I thought if I went back to Galaxy fit, I might still be in the MLS making a lot of money and enjoying what I do.

It is something when I think about it I get emotional sometimes. Because you give so much to the national team physically and emotionally. And then at times like now when the national team abandons you and says you are too old. It hurts.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Glen lifts the lid on his T&T career secrets and W/Cup injury.
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2015, 07:25:40 AM »
Talk yuh talk, baller. It might motivate other former NT players to share their experiences.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »
It hurts.

It hurts !!!!!...... O, O

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Man crying like a f00cking virgin.

When Jack had them busy, you couldn't hear a peep, now they get mouth, how this helping anyone now?

All these men use T&T to get contract, now they want to talk.

In New York them Italian woulda buss lead on him. Yuh dong all de time, now yuh T&T career over so you talking.

A next sour f00cker who vex he never get pick, trying to unsettle de team a few days before we games.

All these guys do was always a problem, him, Sancho, Kelvin, etc and when Sancho was MOS he had de chance to fight for players rights etc and never did, so I eh want to hear shit now from these assholes.

Suck on this Glen, you score 10 goals for T&T in your life time, you eh no star.

Suck on this like how Controversial does suck Jemmot eggs.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:57:16 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2015, 07:51:51 AM »
Glen boy  .... I feel your pain and knew alot of your trials & tribulations but we too feel we cyah say nutten due to the Uncle Jackulito, Scampito & Uncle Tim loyalists.
What they did to you, they have no qualms doing now and in the future to other football dreamers.
Very sad. You will always be a great baller and one of the greatest and most potent strikers that T&T ever had.

Lasana, great stuff again! You will be hated by a twisted few for doing this but press on.
We need more personal stories like this as players gradually lose the fear of talking & as the threat of persecution and blackmail ever so slightly recedes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:53:58 AM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2015, 09:28:08 AM »
Cornel is right to expose the issues that plagued him and the national team when he was playing. Unfortunately this was under the you know  who regime.

And this a reason why the players association never got of the ground or probably will never come into fruition.

But then someone from within the team went back and told the coach and word got out. And, the day before the game, they brought in a whole new team with mostly players from the Army (who are forbidden from industrial action) and blacklisted everyone who was going to strike…

I wouldn’t say I was a rebel back then… But the conditions were really bad and we had no one to stand up for us. The coaches weren’t going to stand up for us. As a young player, I was 21, I told Kelvin (Jack) and Travis (Mulraine) and the other senior guys that if you’re striking, I’m supporting you guys 110 percent.

But they just brought in 15 soldiers and some other players and played the game (against Finland) and we were blacklisted.

(Najjar called up 10 overseas players for the subsequent Caribbean qualifying round for the 2003 Gold Cup. But Trinidad and Tobago were eliminated and the coach was sacked).

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
Allyuh is a bunch of punks, all ah allyuh.

What is de purpose of this article 4 days before we important WC game?

We should only be hearing positive news.

Not ah bunch of tabacca music from ah imps who never make it on de big stage or stand up for anything good.

He went on strike and came back a month after playing under de same terms, so what was de purpose.

Deek, allyuh men good we.

Come on T&T, bull them hard !!!!

Time for Russia.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
We should only be hearing positive news.

True dat! I will not argue with you on that.  We want positive news going into the game this week. But the situation about players' fears where it concerns compensations and their rights are legitimate and are still outstanding. When is it the "right" time to explain to the public your side of the story. He paid his dues and has a right to speak out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
De timing, I am not interested in.

He could tell he story walking.

Now when de players in camp read this shit ent it go vex them.

Now I eh saying, they deserve de treatment or it not happening. But will this do anything to help?

But come nah, election coming soon, leh we get over these 2 games and then we could talk.

Jack Warner mash them fellas up let Glen get he story publish on de Sun and de Punch.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »
Lasana is an next one, writing for hits, somebody should hit him ah hard calpat on he head one ah these days.

We have an important game in 4 days, he cah write about something better?

Glen should be learning to train cobras in indian now as a back up, because he love to get injured.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2015, 12:43:29 PM »
Lasana is an next one, writing for hits, somebody should hit him ah hard calpat on he head one ah these days.

Glen should be learning to train cobras in indian now as a back up, because he love to get injured.

Do you take a read of what you type before you click "post"?

Sam, or whatever your real name is, you are the most negative, antagonistic and disrespectful poster on this site.

You attack players, coaches, managers and posters whole day and night.

A player decides to give insight into his experience with the national team and before you look to see the validity of his claims, you choose to cuss him and cuss all those who show support for him.

It's funny that you think that this would unsettle a team, but the countless times you berate our players based on your own personal opinion before, after and during games/tournaments is allowed.

I know that your 'role' is that of the site watchdog, but sometimes you overdo the nonsense.

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »

Do you take a read of what you type before you click "post"?

Sam, or whatever your real name is, you are the most negative, antagonistic and disrespectful poster on this site.

You attack players, coaches, managers and posters whole day and night.

A player decides to give insight into his experience with the national team and before you look to see the validity of his claims, you choose to cuss him and cuss all those who show support for him.

It's funny that you think that this would unsettle a team, but the countless times you berate our players based on your own personal opinion before, after and during games/tournaments is allowed.

I know that your 'role' is that of the site watchdog, but sometimes you overdo the nonsense.

I say it as it is, just like when ah cuss them for dissing yuh family Jlloyd, yuh didn't mind then.

And I does be on kicks to, so take yuh panty out yuh ass and loosen up nah..

Yuh is ah Trini, you could take ole talk.

Hear de funny thing nah, we here supporting de team all de time, all of a sudden de waggonist appear and correcting people, like we have a game coming up?

Wait, Patriot and Big Mac and them go show up just now.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
Cornell Glen  have every right to speak up on the issues he raised... keep yuh head up cornell .!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »
Imagine, post 2000 and no insurance for men who get injured?

SMH.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2015, 06:43:52 PM »
im here Sam...right on cue...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2015, 09:00:03 PM »
I agree the timing of the article really off. (Not just before two big games). But it's sad what our players have had to go through over the years and still going through.
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2015, 11:15:44 PM »
I agree the timing of the article really off. (Not just before two big games). But it's sad what our players have had to go through over the years and still going through.

wait wait! you're a campaign manager and you think the timing is off. What better time for both the player/s and the author of the article to get some press. Football is the talk of the town, so no better time to piggy back on the wave.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2015, 03:15:58 AM »
Glen: The thrill and agony of the 2006 World Cup; and why Beenhakker’s the best.

“I didn’t expect to play (against Sweden at the 2006 World Cup) and, when the red card occurred,” former Trinidad and Tobago World Cup player and stand-out Cornell Glen told Wired868, “I thought we would go on to lose by about four or five goals because they were bombarding us. So I was shocked when (coach Leo Beenhakker) called me.

“I went over and I was expecting him to give me a lot of tactical instructions. You know, run back, mark this one, do this… Instead, he said: Go on and do what you do best.”

In part two of his exclusive chat with Wired868, Glen remembers the 2006 World Cup and working with former Trinidad and Tobago, Netherlands and Real Madrid coach Leo Beenhakker.

Wired868: What can you remember about that third 2006 World Cup group game against Paraguay when you were injured?

Cornell Glen: I remember it as if it was yesterday. It all happened so simply. I skipped a tackle and the turf shifted and all my bodyweight came down on my knee and snapped the ACL.

I heard a pop in my knee and I knew something wasn’t right. I was in a lot of pain. They rushed me straight to the hospital and did the MRI. I cried and I cried. It was not only the pain was agonising but I felt I could have scored in that game. It is one of those games where you feel it because I was doing everything right in that game.

After that, I didn’t get a call (from anyone from the TTFF). Not even from the doctor. Nothing at all…

Wired868: What would you say was your worst time as a national player?

Glen: [Pauses for a minute] I think under (Hannibal) Najjar was the worst time for me. The conditions were terrible and I wasn’t comfortable at all… One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen is when he called 91 men out to train (in a massive screening exercise). [He Laughs]

Wired868: And what was the best time?

Glen: I think my time under (Leo) Beenhakker and at the 2006 World Cup was the best time. But under Bertille St Clair I was the fittest and sharpest that I’ve been as a player. Under (Francisco) Maturana too.

I remember we went to Argentina (under Maturana in January 2009) and played three or four practice matches and I scored in about everyone. [Glen did score in every game. There was a 1-1 draw with Argentinos Juniors B team, a 3-0 win over second division Quilmes and a 3-2 win over Tigres]. And then we came back and they played Stern (John)…

Looking back, I think I got a raw deal so many times because you might be playing and fit and they select someone who is at a bigger club but not playing for the bigger club.

That is the workings of the national team with third world countries. Guys with bigger clubs but not playing will be selected in front of guys who are playing (with smaller teams).

Wired868: Your last game for Trinidad and Tobago was two years ago at the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup against Mexico. Do you think you have played your last game for the “Soca Warriors?”

Glen: First of all, let me say that people said they needed to bring in young players into the team. But I was 32 when I played my last game for Trinidad and Tobago. Because that is when coach (Stephen) Hart stopped selecting me in 2013. If a player is too old at age 32, I feel sorry for all the 32-year-olds in Trinidad…

Even at age 32, I think from the national team strikers available I was the one who was playing the most with my club and in-form and fit and ready to play. Even now, I think I have played more football than anyone else on the national team.

Wired868: Have you ever discussed your international career with Hart?

Glen: We spoke recently and he basically said the reason for me not being selected was because he wasn’t getting enough games on the FIFA dates to rotate his squad. So he didn’t want certain players to lose confidence when not selected (to bring me in).

As much as I don’t agree with his explanation, I just want to say that I respect his decision and support the team 100 percent. (But) I’m not retired and no one will force me into retirement. All I can do right now is continue performing and scoring goals for my club.

I understand he is looking to go for younger players but in my opinion—and I have a US B’ coaching license—I don’t think we have such a large pool of players like Brazil and Germany to just phase out experienced players for fresh legs. I think you need to integrate the younger players with the experienced players over a period of time.

You can’t have a team with no leaders and I think that is the biggest problem with the team today. There are a lot of egos in the team and no one to lead.

Another problem I think he will face in the World Cup qualifiers is the fact that (a lot) of his players are not playing with their respective clubs and he won’t have as much time to work with them as he did before the Gold Cup to get them fit.

Wired868: But can your body handle the rigours of international and club football at this stage in your career? Didn’t you need special provisions for training due to niggling injuries when you trained with co-coaches Jamaal Shabazz and Hutson Charles?

Glen: That is the first time I am hearing about that. I have never missed a training session under Hart or Jamaal Shabazz. I have never missed a training session or asked to be sat out or complained about a knee injury or anything with the national team. Never.

The only problem I had with Jamaal Shabazz and them going into the (2013) Gold Cup was match fees. I spoke up about it in a (team) meeting and some player went back and told the coaches and again the label was put on me that I was being disruptive within the camp.

But how can a coach sit back and ask players to play for pride? You are trying to secure your own job but the players are playing for nothing.

I know the two assistant coaches (Hutson Charles and Derek King) had a problem with me before because I had no problem with coach Hart. So I don’t know if it stemmed from that why they don’t want me in the camp. But I’m the kind of person, Lasana, if there are money problems, I will speak up about it. Because if I am not satisfied, I am not going to play. Because I know what it is to lose a lot for the national team.

Wired868: Okay. Can you tell us more about your happiest moments with the national team?

Glen: The World Cup was my happiest time. And this is going back to a coach who supports his players, which is why we were so happy. From the qualifiers to the end of the World Cup tournament, Beenhakker stood up for us. He made sure we were taken care of properly. He was a coach who fought for his players and that is when you gain respect.

The reason why we were all happy is it was even across the board too. There were no superstars. Not because you were Dwight Yorke, you could just walk in the team. And he made it clear on his first day that if you are not playing for your club he was not going to select you. It put you in a competitive state of mind even when you were with your club. When you came into the national team, you were always match fit and firing.

Wired868: Can you give an example of how Beenhakker managed the team?

Glen: Well, a lot of people still talk about when Dwight came late to one session before a qualifier in Trinidad and he told him right in front of everybody: ‘Don’t ever f**king do that again. I don’t care who you are.’

But there is another story that most people don’t know. If you remember after the (2005) Gold Cup, he didn’t select me for a number of matches leading up to the Bahrain (FIFA Play Off) game. I actually didn’t play any World Cup qualifying games for Beenhakker.

There were problems at Columbus Crew and I was worried about being waived. I joined the national team for the Gold Cup and for the first game I didn’t play and I was totally pissed. Then I came on in the second game against Panama and I scored (a last minute equaliser).

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2015, 03:18:21 AM »
Glen: The thrill and agony of the 2006 World Cup; and why Beenhakker’s the best.

“I didn’t expect to play (against Sweden at the 2006 World Cup) and, when the red card occurred,” former Trinidad and Tobago World Cup player and stand-out Cornell Glen told Wired868, “I thought we would go on to lose by about four or five goals because they were bombarding us. So I was shocked when (coach Leo Beenhakker) called me.

“I went over and I was expecting him to give me a lot of tactical instructions. You know, run back, mark this one, do this… Instead, he said: Go on and do what you do best.”

In part two of his exclusive chat with Wired868, Glen remembers the 2006 World Cup and working with former Trinidad and Tobago, Netherlands and Real Madrid coach Leo Beenhakker.

Wired868: What can you remember about that third 2006 World Cup group game against Paraguay when you were injured?

Cornell Glen: I remember it as if it was yesterday. It all happened so simply. I skipped a tackle and the turf shifted and all my bodyweight came down on my knee and snapped the ACL.

I heard a pop in my knee and I knew something wasn’t right. I was in a lot of pain. They rushed me straight to the hospital and did the MRI. I cried and I cried. It was not only the pain was agonising but I felt I could have scored in that game. It is one of those games where you feel it because I was doing everything right in that game.

After that, I didn’t get a call (from anyone from the TTFF). Not even from the doctor. Nothing at all…

Wired868: What would you say was your worst time as a national player?

Glen: [Pauses for a minute] I think under (Hannibal) Najjar was the worst time for me. The conditions were terrible and I wasn’t comfortable at all… One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen is when he called 91 men out to train (in a massive screening exercise). [He Laughs]

Wired868: And what was the best time?

Glen: I think my time under (Leo) Beenhakker and at the 2006 World Cup was the best time. But under Bertille St Clair I was the fittest and sharpest that I’ve been as a player. Under (Francisco) Maturana too.

I remember we went to Argentina (under Maturana in January 2009) and played three or four practice matches and I scored in about everyone. [Glen did score in every game. There was a 1-1 draw with Argentinos Juniors B team, a 3-0 win over second division Quilmes and a 3-2 win over Tigres]. And then we came back and they played Stern (John)…

Looking back, I think I got a raw deal so many times because you might be playing and fit and they select someone who is at a bigger club but not playing for the bigger club.

That is the workings of the national team with third world countries. Guys with bigger clubs but not playing will be selected in front of guys who are playing (with smaller teams).

Wired868: Your last game for Trinidad and Tobago was two years ago at the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup against Mexico. Do you think you have played your last game for the “Soca Warriors?”

Glen: First of all, let me say that people said they needed to bring in young players into the team. But I was 32 when I played my last game for Trinidad and Tobago. Because that is when coach (Stephen) Hart stopped selecting me in 2013. If a player is too old at age 32, I feel sorry for all the 32-year-olds in Trinidad…

Even at age 32, I think from the national team strikers available I was the one who was playing the most with my club and in-form and fit and ready to play. Even now, I think I have played more football than anyone else on the national team.

Wired868: Have you ever discussed your international career with Hart?

Glen: We spoke recently and he basically said the reason for me not being selected was because he wasn’t getting enough games on the FIFA dates to rotate his squad. So he didn’t want certain players to lose confidence when not selected (to bring me in).

As much as I don’t agree with his explanation, I just want to say that I respect his decision and support the team 100 percent. (But) I’m not retired and no one will force me into retirement. All I can do right now is continue performing and scoring goals for my club.

I understand he is looking to go for younger players but in my opinion—and I have a US B’ coaching license—I don’t think we have such a large pool of players like Brazil and Germany to just phase out experienced players for fresh legs. I think you need to integrate the younger players with the experienced players over a period of time.

You can’t have a team with no leaders and I think that is the biggest problem with the team today. There are a lot of egos in the team and no one to lead.

Another problem I think he will face in the World Cup qualifiers is the fact that (a lot) of his players are not playing with their respective clubs and he won’t have as much time to work with them as he did before the Gold Cup to get them fit.

Wired868: But can your body handle the rigours of international and club football at this stage in your career? Didn’t you need special provisions for training due to niggling injuries when you trained with co-coaches Jamaal Shabazz and Hutson Charles?

Glen: That is the first time I am hearing about that. I have never missed a training session under Hart or Jamaal Shabazz. I have never missed a training session or asked to be sat out or complained about a knee injury or anything with the national team. Never.

The only problem I had with Jamaal Shabazz and them going into the (2013) Gold Cup was match fees. I spoke up about it in a (team) meeting and some player went back and told the coaches and again the label was put on me that I was being disruptive within the camp.

But how can a coach sit back and ask players to play for pride? You are trying to secure your own job but the players are playing for nothing.

I know the two assistant coaches (Hutson Charles and Derek King) had a problem with me before because I had no problem with coach Hart. So I don’t know if it stemmed from that why they don’t want me in the camp. But I’m the kind of person, Lasana, if there are money problems, I will speak up about it. Because if I am not satisfied, I am not going to play. Because I know what it is to lose a lot for the national team.

Wired868: Okay. Can you tell us more about your happiest moments with the national team?

Glen: The World Cup was my happiest time. And this is going back to a coach who supports his players, which is why we were so happy. From the qualifiers to the end of the World Cup tournament, Beenhakker stood up for us. He made sure we were taken care of properly. He was a coach who fought for his players and that is when you gain respect.

The reason why we were all happy is it was even across the board too. There were no superstars. Not because you were Dwight Yorke, you could just walk in the team. And he made it clear on his first day that if you are not playing for your club he was not going to select you. It put you in a competitive state of mind even when you were with your club. When you came into the national team, you were always match fit and firing.

Wired868: Can you give an example of how Beenhakker managed the team?

Glen: Well, a lot of people still talk about when Dwight came late to one session before a qualifier in Trinidad and he told him right in front of everybody: ‘Don’t ever f**king do that again. I don’t care who you are.’

But there is another story that most people don’t know. If you remember after the (2005) Gold Cup, he didn’t select me for a number of matches leading up to the Bahrain (FIFA Play Off) game. I actually didn’t play any World Cup qualifying games for Beenhakker.

There were problems at Columbus Crew and I was worried about being waived. I joined the national team for the Gold Cup and for the first game I didn’t play and I was totally pissed. Then I came on in the second game against Panama and I scored (a last minute equaliser).

Nov-8

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »

wait wait! you're a campaign manager and you think the timing is off. What better time for both the player/s and the author of the article to get some press. Football is the talk of the town, so no better time to piggy back on the wave.
Lol. Yes I do think the timing is off. Campaign Manager Yes. But T&T supporter to the core first. While it may seem crafty to leverage the current publicity. No one should be distracting the team with off-the-field issues at this time. In fact this is also a horrible time for the elections. This (elections) should have been done before the world cup campaign even started. Over the years we've seen repeatedly where we lose games because of non-footballing matters. Our players are just not that tough mentally.  I was privileged to be part of the recent research into governance of sporting bodies in the Caribbean. And one of the things that the Head Researcher from England mentioned stuck with me. She said in the Caribbean "Your athletes are superior physically and physiologically, but lack the psychological support."
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cornell Glen is honoured to represent Mohun Bagan
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »
Cornell Glen is honoured to represent Mohun Bagan
mohunbaganac.com

Mohun Bagan's new recruit Cornell Glen represented Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 FIFA World Cup, in which he did play all the group league games against Sweden, England and Paraguay. He was also the second-highest scorer in the I-League last season with 16 goals from 19 matches. He ended last year's I-League campaign on a bang, scoring a hat-trick for Shillong Lajong against East Bengal, with Shillong Lajong thrashing East Bengal 5-1.

Excerpts from Mohun Bagan's new recruit Cornell Glen's press conference:

On playing for Mohun Bagan - It is good to be here. Mohun Bagan is the biggest club in India and I am honored to represent this club and look forward to the challenge. I am here to give my best and help Mohun Bagan win the I-League.

About replacing Dudu Omagbemi - I will give my best for Mohun Bagan and I am not here to outdo what Dudu Omagbemi did.

On his target of winning trophies - I want to win trophies here. With all due respect to Lajong, they were not really contenders for the I-League title. I want to contend and compete for the title. I am eagerly looking forward to playing with Mohun Bagan teammates.

About the chance of Mohun Bagan retaining the I-League - Winning the I-League would be a big challenge for me this season. I love to take challenges and I am looking forward to this challenge. I hope we will be able to clinch the title this season, but for that we will have to play a good team game. It is not about 2-3 players like Yusa, Sony or myself. Football is a team game and we need to play as a unit to become successful.

Regarding the Kolkata derby - Yes, the Kolkata Derby is big, but winning the derby alone will not serve us the purpose of winning the title. Every match is crucial in this tournament.

On the Indian Super League - The ISL is eating into Indian football. A lot of players playing in the ISL tend to feel fatigued by the end of the I-League season. It is really difficult to switch clubs within a season. Last year, I missed the ISL owing to injury. However, that helped me to be fresh for the I-League. I feel the focus should have been on developing the I-League rather than starting a new league.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/taZB4PDLS6o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/taZB4PDLS6o</a>

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2015, 07:49:38 AM »
I'll bet he can teach Trinis a few choice cuss words. ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
WATCH: Cornell Glen scores his first goal for Mohun Bagan, in a practice match against University of Calcutta
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q2F71pPm8Sg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q2F71pPm8Sg</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »
WATCH: Cornell Glen scores a hat-trick in Mohun Bagan’s 3-1 win over CMC Singur Tarakeswar XI in an exhibition match
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/d1y1qfYJJ_g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/d1y1qfYJJ_g</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »
like dem didn't know who they dealing with or wha..leaving the MAN open like that..especially on a field like that..in football we born on dem field

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
He tryin' to tell BraveHart something orwha? ... for the Haiti match possibly without KJ.
BraveHart will notice but will not want to reverse course so easily though.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>