April 27, 2024, 06:47:48 PM

Author Topic: Beckham 'tears Achilles tendon'  (Read 9013 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Beckham 'tears Achilles tendon'
« on: March 14, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
England's David Beckham is injured playing for AC Milan

David Beckham's dream of playing in a fourth World Cup looks over after he tore an Achilles tendon in AC Milan's 1-0 win over Chievo on Sunday.

Beckham was unchallenged when he suffered the injury and hobbled off in pain before being stretchered away.

The 34-year-old was hoping to be part of England's World Cup squad in June.

But he will now fly to Finland on Monday to have surgery on the Achilles, according to AC Milan club physician Jean Pierre Meersseman.

Beckham, who is in his second loan stint with Milan from the Los Angeles Galaxy in a bid to make England boss Fabio Capello's squad, will now almost certainly not be fit for the tournament in South Africa which starts on 11 June.

"Beckham's injury makes us feel terrible. He understood immediately that he had torn his Achilles tendon," said AC Milan coach Leonardo.

"He is an extraordinary guy and today's game proves it yet again.

"I cannot enjoy this evening considering this serious injury.

"David understood immediately that he had torn his Achilles tendon."

Former Manchester United star Beckham was bidding to become the first England player to feature in four successive World Cup finals. He shares the record of three with Bobby Moore and Peter Shilton

With Tottenham's Aaron Lennon still suffering from a groin problem, Capello may now turn to both Theo Walcott and Shaun Wright-Phillips to cover the right side of midfield, with James Milner, Joe Cole, Stewart Downing and Adam Johnson also in the reckoning.

Beckham's sending off against Argentina in the quarter-finals was widely blamed for costing England their chance in the 1998 World Cup, while four years later he played in the team knocked out by 10-man Brazil.

The 2006 tournament ended with Beckham announcing tearfully he was resigning the captaincy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8567353.stm
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Beckham 'tears Achilles tendon'
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »
BECKHAM OUT OF WORLD CUP,.  Owens too.  the US plot continues, Rooney watch out :devil:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:57:09 PM by Babalawo »

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
Tough! Real tough luck. In 2002, he got injured before the WC and he recovered; with this kind of injury, is real pressure, plus he 8 yrs older. Tough boy Becks........

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
Hard luck dey. If is one man who deserves rel respect is him. If he make it...would be deserving.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
Cruel Cruel game... A true Gentleman and role model of the game...I'm absolutely gutted for him

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:31:14 PM »
Really really hard. Wish him well! That injury is not easy and could take a very long time to get it right. Unfortunately at his age it will be very dificult.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
doh worry, he go come back in time
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 03:32:43 AM »
doh worry, he go come back in time

Not if it is truly a ruptured Achilles tendon, he won't.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:34:32 AM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:06:45 AM »
Was watching the game and it looked like he rolled his ankle, he called for the sub immediately.

Real sad to hear this though, throughout it all he was a consummate professional I hope he recovers from this.

Més que un club.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:12:37 AM »
this is really sad for becks. he sacrifice his family time in what suppose to be his off season to play at milan just so he can be fit for England to play in the World Cup and then this happens. ive been reading some of the english blogs and some of the postings is downright ridiculous. they actually pounding the man saying he just a media mogul and he wasnt going to to nothing for england in SA. thats madness!! anybody watching becks play at milan know what he has to offer. he aint 22 again and wont be tormenting left back for a full 90 mins but his technique and expereince on the pitch is stuff that no other england player has currently. this is truly a sad day for genuine football fans! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:46:24 AM »
hard luck. de man try yes.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:13:39 AM »
When understandable sentiment and sympathy is set on on one side, what are we left with in the footballing context?

We are actually left with the brutal reality that England have actually lost a fringe squad player, someone who - barring exceptional circumstances - would not have started any game at the World Cup. This should not be forgotten should anyone wish to portray Beckham's injury as a serious wound to England's aspirations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/03/sad_for_beckham_but_not_englan.html
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »
When understandable sentiment and sympathy is set on on one side, what are we left with in the footballing context?

We are actually left with the brutal reality that England have actually lost a fringe squad player, someone who - barring exceptional circumstances - would not have started any game at the World Cup. This should not be forgotten should anyone wish to portray Beckham's injury as a serious wound to England's aspirations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/03/sad_for_beckham_but_not_englan.html

yeh thats the foolishness i was talking about. the game 2-2 and a free kick on top the box who on that england team yuh want kicking it? england down and yuh need a player to deliver a telling cross who yuh want doing that? the team is up and under pressure from the opponents, who yuh have that will help the other younger players on the pitch to show composure and skill under that kinda pressure to see out the win?

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »

yeh thats the foolishness i was talking about. the game 2-2 and a free kick on top the box who on that england team yuh want kicking it? england down and yuh need a player to deliver a telling cross who yuh want doing that? the team is up and under pressure from the opponents, who yuh have that will help the other younger players on the pitch to show composure and skill under that kinda pressure to see out the win?

Fordy, I hear where u coming from. But be honest. Beckham was really gonna be starting ANY game in the world cup? What Tallman posted may have been a bit harsh, but it's the truth.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
Very sad
Hart for president

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »

Fordy, I hear where u coming from. But be honest. Beckham was really gonna be starting ANY game in the world cup? What Tallman posted may have been a bit harsh, but it's the truth.

TriniKev i agree with you. becks probably wasnt going to start no game, but when on the field, and i promise you he wud of featured in all possible games, his influence is priceless. i agree, its not like rooney got injured but becks not being in the squad is huge. i wont jump on the bandwagon of the people who talking like the ones Tallman posted about though. take the 4 potential right wingers who might of started in front of him...Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, SW Phillips. Of those which one has the class becks has in terms of technique, skill and experience? of those 4 i my choice wud be milner because he seems to be the most consistent of the bunch. at this point i might even put gerard out there. but trust when i say england going to hurt a little because becks not there...unlike how some of them talking now. :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 12:15:15 PM »
Very sad

COSIGNNNNNN and eh like d Brits
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »

TriniKev i agree with you. becks probably wasnt going to start no game, but when on the field, and i promise you he wud of featured in all possible games, his influence is priceless. i agree, its not like rooney got injured but becks not being in the squad is huge. i wont jump on the bandwagon of the people who talking like the ones Tallman posted about though. take the 4 potential right wingers who might of started in front of him...Theo Walcott, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, SW Phillips. Of those which one has the class becks has in terms of technique, skill and experience? of those 4 i my choice wud be milner because he seems to be the most consistent of the bunch. at this point i might even put gerard out there. but trust when i say england going to hurt a little because becks not there...unlike how some of them talking now. :beermug:

Agreed.

When he came on against ManU in the CL he did alot of running and put in some telling crosses, but no one was there on the other end to meet them.

On top of which he unleash a sweet volley that nearly put the keep in the back of the net.

Més que un club.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »

Agreed.

When he came on against ManU in the CL he did alot of running and put in some telling crosses, but no one was there on the other end to meet them.

On top of which he unleash a sweet volley that nearly put the keep in the back of the net.

Disagree completely. Beckham as great as he once was, is a weak link in the English and Milan side.
His technique is still excellent however his lack of pace makes him a liability. He gets an "A" for his effort in every game though
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Allyuh is de worst oui!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 01:54:08 PM »
So yuh mean to say more ah allyuh concerned about Beckham dan KJ?  An den allyuh does wanta talk bout who playin like dey eh care?!!  If we here supposed to be de hardcore fans (or a micrcosm of that), wha message we sending to our players?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Allyuh is de worst oui!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
Minor groin injury, no WC games to play, no need for alarm.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 02:03:42 PM »
we fall for the media hype.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »

Beckham see 3 friggin world cup so me eh see de need for ah wake in his honor.  Ah mean ah sorry fuh de man buh my country players deserve just as much attention if I is to call myself ah fan/ supporter.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »

Beckham see 3 friggin world cup so me eh see de need for ah wake in his honor.  Ah mean ah sorry fuh de man buh my country players deserve just as much attention if I is to call myself ah fan/ supporter.

I was waiting for this post...
 :beermug:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »
Hes be playing to much football IMHO ,does he ever have an offseason ? he must start to break down .He should start a youtube project like Judah to unwind .

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »
I was waiting for this post...
 :beermug:

I readin da shit and wonderin wha make friggin Beckham so important to "Soca Warrior" supporters?  He career almost done, KJ despite his lack of production so far (and barring injury) should have a lot of football left.  He playing on a team that have ah shit manager dat ridin he back all season like he lookin fuh ah whippin boy, which causes alarm as to what his spot on the team is going to be in the future.  Since Bruce come I feel like he take KJ value down a notch with he constant horrangin so I very concerned. Nothing to be concerned about?  Nah I rell concern because like him or not teams still have to fear him when he on the pitch.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »
because Beckham care about his country... ans KJ care about himself

Viva Beckham

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »

Viva Beckham

I would take this as sarcasm..I know you dont believe KJ dont care about his country..

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »

Viva Beckham

I hope dis is some dry english humor yuh attemptin eh fella

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »
An unnamed forumite ask KJ during the Qualifiers

"What you hadda say to them fans questioning your loyalty and effort when you play for T&T"

"I doe care about them..I doe Business"

And allyuh bashing Stern when the man would fly from wherever he is to play for the red black and white

Becks did everything to prolong his International Career.... f**k Kenwyne

1]; } ?>