April 28, 2024, 07:43:20 AM

Author Topic: Lionel Messi has few fans in Argentina  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lionel Messi has few fans in Argentina
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »
The world's best player, Barcelona's Lionel Messi, is struggling for popularity in his homeland

"The world's best footballer is an Argentinian who, in his own country, has less fans than a referee" says Claudio Mauri in La Nación. The player is Lionel Messi and the article highlights issues raised by poor performances for his country, and his relationship with fans and national manager Diego Maradona.

Referencing other foreign-based players such as Carlos Tevez, Mauri points out that they have a domestic fan base: "All the players have fans in Argentina, except Messi, who left when he was 13 to pursue the footballing dream which he could not fulfil in his country.

"Gonzalo Higuaín was born in Brest, but no Argentinian fan would think of calling him 'The Frenchman', as they do with Messi when they provocatively call him 'The Catalan'." It's an antipathy that will not be overcome by merely performing better for the national side, says Mauri: "Messi could pay off this supposed debt if he comes to play for six months in this country ... proclaiming his happiness and refinding his roots."

Messi's father, Jorge, responded, telling the channel TyC Sports: "What happens to him in the national team could happen to anyone. It can be solved with work. Maybe they treat him differently in Europe. Here, we maltreat him and we batter him." Hernán Claus, of sports daily Olé, agrees: "Messi is right to feel maltreated because the criticism is not just about the way he plays for his national team. Instead, they've accused him of not knowing the national anthem, that he feels Spanish, that he doesn't love the shirt ... Instead of trying to help build a new idol, what we do is demolish him."

But his colleague Adrian Piedrabuena believes it's a problem that comes with the team and their manager: "Lionel has played for Argentina for four years and only shone when Juan Riquelme was playing. It's not his fault they compare him to Diego or that Argentina is not a team which plays to its potential."

And it is misuse of potential that really matters ahead of the World Cup, as Maradona's use of, and relationship with, Messi remains in doubt (conspiracy theorists suggest he is sabotaging Messi's career to maintain his position as the greatest ever Argentinian player). The former Real manager Bernd Schuster tells Spain's Marca: "Argentina have a problem if they can't make Messi play. You can't afford the luxury of Messi not performing in a World Cup. You have to adapt to him. Argentina don't know what to do with Messi. They can still change but it's going to be difficult for them."
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel Messi has few fans in Argentina
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
zamora should play 6 months for jabloteh  :devil:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
Truly unbelievable in my eyes. Messi at the International level has Won an U20 WC as an underage player. Then took Argentina to the Coap America finals. He then went on to take Argentina to an Olympic Gold.  how those coaches got the best of him
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »
This just confirms that Argentina has a lot of kakaholes.
They should be bendin over backwards to make Messi feel comfortable.
The theory about Maradona holding him back to remain the best Argentinian is an interesting one.
For sure Maradona is reminded of himself at that age whenever he sees Messi tear up a defence.
To make the jump from that to sabotaging Messi's career would take plenty jealousy though.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
Truly unbelievable in my eyes. Messi at the International level has Won an U20 WC as an underage player. Then took Argentina to the Coap America finals. He then went on to take Argentina to an Olympic Gold.  how those coaches got the best of him

dize because they were REAL coaches. Maradonna is a REAL ex-player that want to be a coach.  I don't think he really know what to do with this side and I wouldn't put it past him (or any man in his position) to not want to see Messi do well. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »

dize because they were REAL coaches. Maradonna is a REAL ex-player that want to be a coach.  I don't think he really know what to do with this side and I wouldn't put it past him (or any man in his position) to not want to see Messi do well. 

Really Interesting. But if this have any truth to it and knowing Maradona's ego it is certainly an interesting theory. Diego should think if I release Messi to just play his game and Argentina is successful. He would again make history like Zagalo and Beckenbauer
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »

Really Interesting. But if this have any truth to it and knowing Maradona's ego it is certainly an interesting theory. Diego should think if I release Messi to just play his game and Argentina is successful. He would again make history like Zagalo and Beckenbauer

Observer that might make sense even from a somewhat selfish perspective (and of course we are all just speculating and offering fantasy analysis eh ;D) but I wouldn't be surprised that, for a man like Maradonna who has Argentina practically eating out of his hands, he might even be too selfish and egotistical to want success that way.  Messi is a man currently at the cusp of having the world eat out his hands and if he were to lead Argentina to at least some relative success, given the relatively low expectations of them in this campaign, it might take shine away from Maradonna's coaching legacy maybe? Who knows.  But I tell you one thing, if them Argentinians want to place any blame for their recent ills on Messi's shoulder (and not on the shoulders it rightfully belong on) then they chupid in trute!     

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »
I seeing some respected posted commenting on this one ...and am a little disappointed  ... a man post a speculative comment and right away we accept dat ?

Diego FYI will spend a week with leo ..alone ...he has decided that he has to get into Leo's head ...nobody else around ...does that sound like someone who wants his country''s team  to fail ?

Anyone who believes that Don Diego is not nationalistic really eh know nothing about him ...he was described in a biography as " more national than the flag " .

The pride that the man has for his country is what prompted him to name Javier Mascherano as captain ...to engender the fighting spirit ,one must have when you wear your national colours, in the team. ....ever see Maradona when Argentina playing ? The man is ah mess .....he is on the field even though off it ... the man is passion in the flesh.
No serious Argentinian or fan  would question Maradona's allegiance to his country.

You all think that given this passion and the opportunity to lead his team to football heights that Diego would see the trees and miss the forest ? I hardly think so ...just some anti argentina fan trash seeking to do in the press what they cannot do on the field ...

Everybody fraid dis argentina team ..they could lose ...not click ...but if they do ??? If they do ???

When they won in 78 they were not favourites ...in 86 they were seen as a weak team with Maradona ...yes 1n 2010 they scraped een .....but they een !

The hand of God was a strike back at the imperialist nation that holds " Las  malvinas"  as their property ..it was a strike of impunity just as the taking of the islands ....I came and I took away from you something you valued a lot ...and I did it in the same manner that you took what I valued a lot ...illegally ..that is Diego's interpretation of his famous first goal against england ...the one they talk about !! the other one ..they cant seem to recall.

I certainly have no doubt that it is the wish of Diego Maradona to fulfill his dream of leading his country's team to the pinnacle of world football ... to think any less is to not know anything about the little street " urchin " from the wrong side of Buenos Aires who scaled the world cup ladder to retrieve the world Cup in his finest moment in time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »
Diego not wanting Messi to succeed is a bit provocative. If lionel plays well and Argentina reaches at least the final, that will put Diego high up on the totem pole. At least he can really brag that he has one up on  meh boy Pele.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 06:34:59 PM »
Diego not wanting Messi to succeed is a bit provocative. If lionel plays well and Argentina reaches at least the final, that will put Diego high up on the totem pole. At least he can really brag that he has one up on  meh boy Pele.

Nah Pele never coach. So Pele go say "How much WC yuh win again? Put yuh medals on the table." ;D
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
I am almost sure if Diego say he interested in Napoli head coach whenever the position come vacant he probably can get it. But then again, he better stay away from there. trouble!!!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:25 AM »
Messi only sure bet for Maradona

Argentina struggled to qualify for South Africa, despite fielding the world’s best player in Lionel Messi and having more football talent than almost any country on earth.

Argentina coach Diego Maradona had tremendous skill as a player, but he’s been mostly a flop since he took over as coach late in 2008. He has called up more than 100 players as he tries to find the right 11.

Despite all the trials, only one name is certain when two-time champion Argentina starts play against Nigeria, South Korea and Greece in Group B— Messi.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »
Most of us did the same thing with Stern John. The Fans would like to see Messi do for Argentina what he does for Barca.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 11:53:44 AM »
Maradona's Dog Loves Lionel Messi

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2010/03/30/4090920-reports-maradona-bitten-by-dog-has-lip-surgery?category=sports
Reports: Maradona bitten by dog, has lip surgery
Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:01 AM EDT

FILE - In this Jan. 25, 2010 file photo Argentina's soccer coach Diego Maradona gives a thumbs up to reporters during a press conference in San Juan, Argentina. The Argentine soccer star underwent surgery early Tuesday, March 30, 2010, after one of his dogs bit him in his upper lip. (AP Photo/Roberto Candia, File)

BUENOS AIRES — Argentina coach Diego Maradona was bitten by his pet dog and had surgery on his upper lip.

Argentine television said the 49-year-old soccer great had reconstructive surgery Tuesday and was expected to be discharged later in the day. The Los Arcos clinic said Maradona was in good condition and a news conference was to be held later in the day.

Reports said Maradona was playing with the dog at his home in suburban Buenos Aires. The breed was identified as a Shar Pei, often used as a guard dog.

Maradona led Argentina to the 1986 World Cup title and is revered in his country despite problems with drug addiction, scandals and lately the poor play of the national team, which struggled to qualify for the World Cup despite featuring Lionel Messi.

Argentina plays Canada on May 24 in Buenos Aries before leaving for training in South Africa. Argentina is grouped with Nigeria, Greece and South Korea.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 12:22:20 PM »
Most of us did the same thing with Stern John. The Fans would like to see Messi do for Argentina what he does for Barca.

I woulda use Dwight Yorke as the better example than Stern in that attempt to make a comparison, Jed.  As much as I find he lazy, he score plenty goals (and some important ones, too) for T&T. But is still a bit of a misplaced analogy because people feel Dwight was underachieving (especially against some rank shithongs) whenever he put on T&T colours.  Messi's perceived "underachievement" has more to do with Argentina's overall dysfunction as a team and it's mismanagement than it has to do with Messi just playin' shit.   

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:46 PM »

Argentina struggled to qualify for South Africa, despite fielding the world’s best player in Lionel Messi and having more football talent than almost any country on earth.

(continue)

how was argentina dooing before maradona took over ?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »

(continue)

how was argentina dooing before maradona took over ?

3 Wins 4 ties 1 loss under Basile. Then Diego took over and lost his opener 6-1 to end with 3 wins 4 loss
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 03:22:59 PM »

I woulda use Dwight Yorke as the better example than Stern in that attempt to make a comparison, Jed.  As much as I find he lazy, he score plenty goals (and some important ones, too) for T&T. But is still a bit of a misplaced analogy because people feel Dwight was underachieving (especially against some rank shithongs) whenever he put on T&T colours.  Messi's perceived "underachievement" has more to do with Argentina's overall dysfunction as a team and it's mismanagement than it has to do with Messi just playin' shit.   

Kind of agree here. In the earlies when Dwight use to play for the youth, U-23 or national, it seems the coaches did not know how to use him. striker? mid-field?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »

Kind of agree here. In the earlies when Dwight use to play for the youth, U-23 or national, it seems the coaches did not know how to use him. striker? mid-field?

Deeks boy, I was more referring to the fact that a lot of people felt that his performances in club uniform were outperforming his performances in National colours.  Rel people was vex wit Dwight.  (especially after that shit performance he put dong in Richmond, letting slow-ass alexi lalas mark him outta de game)  >:(

1]; } ?>