April 18, 2024, 06:04:58 PM

Author Topic: Tim Nafziger died.  (Read 5886 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tim Nafziger died.
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »
 Just heard Tim died , he was in a coma as a result of an aneurism and there was nothing that could be done to save him.
For those of you that don't know he was once CEO of Carib and was one of the pioneers of big sponsorship for sports, he was also the first Manager (financial) of Lara and Yorke.

RIP Tim
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:22:10 PM by Tallman »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tim Nafziger died.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:16:31 PM »
Condolences to the Nzfiger family!!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:22:16 PM by Tallman »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
respect...i heard this last night
ah football man... he had a team in the north zone.. and sponsored the north zone
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
Whey sah! I was jes corresponding wit he a few months ago regarding dis year's Dwight Yorke Golf Tournament. Ride on bredda!
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:38:47 PM »
Responsible for meh boi Dog being in Scotland. RIP Tim
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
rest in peace bro -salute-

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:42:37 AM »
Condolences to his family.Put a lot of money not just into football but sports in general.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 05:30:14 AM »
rip my brother.....

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 05:57:44 AM »
A good man who loved T&T with a passion. Made a solid contribution to the sporting life of this country.
 RIP and condolences to his Family

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »
Tim Nafziger dies in US.
Curtis Rampersad Business Editor.

Businessman and former Carib Brewery managing director Tim Nafziger has died.

Nafziger, 62, died on Tuesday night at a hospital in Los Angeles, California, USA.

He founded the Media21 multimedia services company at Newtown in 2000 and was also engaged in property development, buying and restoring offices buildings in Port of Spain.

He was executive chairman of Media21 and its sister company Medianet.

Nafziger suffered a stroke on January 9, but recovered soon after, a spokesperson at Medianet told the Express yesterday.

Further medical tests discovered a brain tumour and Nafziger travelled to California recently to have the tumour removed in an operation scheduled for Monday.

He had a seizure and collapsed before the scheduled surgery, the spokesperson said.

This happened late Friday night. It was later discovered that he had an aneurysm, which led to his death.

Nafziger was involved in areas of business, including property development, architecture and management.

He was the chairman of the Food and Beverage Committee of the Chamber of Commerce.

Nafziger was also the president of the Tranquillity Lawn Tennis Club and a member of the Harvard Club as well as the Queen’s Park Cricket Club.

Involved in sport, he also advised footballer Dwight Yorke and managed cricketers Dwayne Bravo, Lendl Simmons and Kieron Pollard, the Medianet spokesperson said.

Nafziger was married to Glen Nafziger and had five children. Funeral arrangements have not been finalised.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Automan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:29:12 AM »
Condolences to the Nazfiger family.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:04:10 AM by Automan »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 07:07:03 AM »
RIP  :(

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 05:58:25 AM »
Nafziger nurtured sports talent.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The T&T Football Federation yesterday extended condolences to the family of Tim Nafziger following his passing on Tuesday night.

Nafziger passed away in Los Angeles after a second aneurysm ruptured in his head. He was 62 years old. TTFF president Oliver Camps described Nafziger as a “true supporter and one that will be sorely missed by all who knew him in the fields of sport and business.”

“I knew Tim for a very long time, not just through his involvement with Dwight (Yorke) and local football, particularly national teams, but he was also involved with the Harvard Club, and our relationship goes back a very long time. His passing was not only a shock, but also a very sad one to myself and my colleagues both at the Football Federation and Harvard,” Camps added.

Fifa vice president Jack Warner also holds a longtime relationship with Nafziger and fondly remembers his efforts to assist local football and national teams during his days at Carib Brewery. “Individuals like Tim don’t come by everyday, maybe once in a lifetime, if I can say that much. He was a true supporter of football in Trinidad and Tobago among other things.

He was simply a true supporter of T&T. His presence around the sport will be missed. I wish to express my heartfelt sympathy to his family at this time of sorrow,” Warner stated after hearing the news while on Fifa business in Colombia.

Also paying his respects to Nafziger was Scottish-based professional Marvin Andrews, who spoke of how the late executive chairman of Media21 was responsible for sending him off to Scotland for his first trial with Motherwell. Nafziger was also a close associate of former national captain Yorke.

“It was extremely sad to hear what happened when my brother called me last night (Wednesday night) after I came fromcChurch. Tim was like a dad to me, a really close friend over the years. He is the person responsible for me getting my first contract in Scotland. He brought me into his office and told me that he wanted me to showcase my talent to the world, and he bought my ticket and sent me to Scotland,” Andrews said yesterday.

The big defender left these shores in September 1997 for his first trial under Alex McLeish at Motherwell before subsequently signing with Raith Rovers. “He gave me that first opportunity that I will never forget and I will always be grateful to him for that. I could never thank him enough for that opportunity and I thank Almighty God for touching Tim’s heart the way he did during his time on earth,” Andrews added.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 04:49:19 AM »
Tears of joy for Nafziger.
By JOAN RAMPERSAD (T&T Newsday).

Scores of family, friends and associates of the late Timothy Nafziger turned up at the Century Ballroom in the Members’ Pavilion of the Queen’s Park Oval, Port-of-Spain yesterday for a memorial in celebration of his life.

Nafziger who was a businessman, sports agent and mentor to many athletes died Tuesday, March 9 at a Los Angeles, USA hospital after complications due to haemorrhagic ruptures in his brain.

His wife Glenn and children Natalie, Jeffrey and Matthew who were at his side at the time of his death, along with Nafziger’s sister Vicki were all present at the celebration that brought out tears of both joy and sorrow, as a number of attendees shared their own life experiences with Nafziger.

Several stories and anecdotes were used to remember him during the just over one-hour-long ceremony.

To Jerome Borde, Nafziger had an unusual name and was that sort of guy, and saw that world through a different lens. “He was a big picker and saw all possibilities in everything. He did anything in full throttle, he had a passion for life.

“His position was one of equality and fairness. His actions were about advancing people and providing opportunities for people to be as best as they could.

“People often sought guidance from him. He was very demanding, challenging, an ideas man, and one who wanted to extract the best out of you. He often gave stories, he was a most intriguing person.

“The spirit of Trinidad and his wife Glenn are what captured his heart and that is why he became a Trinidadian, even more Trinidadian than some Trinis themselves. He is one of our national heroes,” said Borde.

A video followed Borde’s contribution with images of Nafziger’s childhood, at home in Trinidad, his family, his adopted country, the beach and his sports involvement, all to the music of “Trini to D Bone”.

His daughter Natalie then joked after that her father would have counted the amount of people who turned out to the service if only to gauge his popularity.

She then said that for 30-plus Nafziger was her friend, financial advisor and taught her everything — some things she did not want to know about like football, cricket and politics.

“He talked a lot. Later in my life he was a friend and confidante and I will miss the biggest ‘know-it-all’ in my entire life,” she said.

Matthew his son said the most lasting impression on him of his dad was that he helped him become a better person. “He always gave me advice, some not even solicited, but he knew a lot. I was always impressed with the number of people’s lives he had touched.

“I will have a lot of memories of him. I’m thankful for the time we shared even though it was short, and all that we did together,” said Matthew.

But it was international footballer Dwight Yorke who brought tears to the eyes of many. He first told the gathering that retired star batsman Brian Lara was unable to make it back to Trinidad having been stuck coming from India given the BA strike, but nevertheless sent his condolences.

He then said: “This is a tough day for me. Tim was a dear friend and very close to my heart. I met him in 1988 and never looked back since. He was warm, welcoming, sincere and taught me a lot about life, and Glenn who I considered my mom.”

Yorke then choked with emotion and after brushing away tears from his eyes he continued, “I’m not very good at this,” but stated that the number of people turning up to pay their respects just showed how much they respected Nafziger.

He ended by struggling to say through his tears, “I will miss him. Any time I needed advice, he was always there for me.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Moving farewell for Tim Nafziger
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 05:21:35 AM »
Moving farewell for Tim Nafziger
By Everard Gordon (T&T Guardian)

It is funny how a life well lived could be celebrated at death. Tim Nafziger was an admirable human being and yesterday, at a gathering of friends and family at the Queen’s Park Oval, Port-of-Spain, he was remembered and stories of his dealings with all he met brought smiles and laughter. It also brought tears to the eyes of the happy people present who knew him and were touched by him. Nafziger came to Trinidad from a farming family in the USA in 1973 and became a “true Trini,” in the best and most admirable sense of that classification.

He was a well-educated man with a sharp brain that was comfortable with storing information for use at the most propitious opportunity. He worked hard but as one of his friends said, he never worked because work was a pleasure to him. He was influential in setting up the EDU systems and was contracted by the Government to set up MTS. From there he went on to become the chief executive officer at Carib. His latest act was the establishing Medianet in 1998—a company which encouraged and promoted the work of local media people and encouraged local artists to write. Many tales of his determination and dominant personality were related, which had the listeners amused. Later, former international footballer Dwight Yorke, one of the first of his discoveries related the beneficial character of his relationship with Nafziger.

Cricketer Dwayne Bravo, currently playing in the IPL in India, sent a letter in which Bravo testified to the good advice and management that Nafziger exerted in his career and even in his family’s well-being when Bravo was away from Trinidad. His sister, Vicki spoke of a different Tim, the younger brother who took 15 months to walk and who, when they were teenagers, delighted in exploration of all the areas around their home. He was most recently the president of Tranquillity Tennis Club and on court was seen the hidden tiger, the aggressive competitor, who metamorphosed into the smiling, friendly Tim in the bar. He was successful in all he turned his mind to and was always fair in his dealings. From that observation came the idea of establishing a Tim Nafziger Foundation.

Listening to the remembrances of friends of the late Tim Nafziger are Dwight Yorke, left,
one of Nafziger’s first discoveries in International football, Natalie Hill and Jeffery Hill,
extreme right, both stepchildren, and Nafziger’s widow Glenn, third from left. PHOTO: KARLA RAMOO
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>