March 28, 2024, 02:14:54 PM

Author Topic: NAPA Thread.  (Read 15518 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: 80 million to correct flaws in the design of the National Academy
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »
I asked for consultation on a lil $.5M project and was told that would only slow things down. Just go ahead and do it. Is just the way they does drop it.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
Kinda reminds me of the Sage Gatehead Performing Art Center...

truetrini

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »
National academy of Performing Arts, North
As I read Rubadiri Victor's important report on the "NAPA tragedy" in the press and its "$80 million is a realistic estimate of the costs that would be involved to correct the defects," I was reminded of another architectural landmark on a small island which endured similar criticism, The Auditorio de Tenerife located in in the Canarian capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Canary Islands, Spain) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditorio_de_Tenerife or http://www.auditoriodetenerife.com/index_edificio.php] This project was criticized for various structural problems and budget increases.
Auditorio de Tenerife

This pales in contrast to the Mother of all performing arts centre projects with problems; the Sydney Opera House. That controversial project was riddled with political intrigue. Whereas NAPA was about completion at all cost in time for CHOGM, the Sydney Opera House "was all about control; about the triumph of homegrown mediocrity over foreign genius." [Farrelly, Elizabeth, 'High noon at Bennelong Point' in Canberra Times, 01 Dec, 2008] Someone smarter than me once said, "we In Trinidad and Tobago deify mediocrity." These projects may be closer than we think!

This project, NAPA, to me, is incomplete, and the $80 million cited by Rubadiri in the actual report "to convert a handful of rooms to Academy and Performing Arts specifications," is part of the completion cost. We all know that the initial function was as a showcase piece for the Queen and other Commonwealth heads. The functional aspects as an academy and performing arts centre were secondary. The hotel was thrown in as a lagniappe. Ask Keith Rowley!

This project and others also point to a habit of budget estimates that seem out of sync with reality. Piarco Airport Terminal was budgeted for one figure and came in at double that cost, approximately $1.6B, about US$250M At that time I remember the expansion of Baltimore-Washington Airport of similar size and scope came in on budget at US$260M. Where did we get a figure of half that to build a new terminal in Trinidad? The idea of "...a politically lowballed construction budget, which eventually resulted in a cost overrun..." was floated in an interesting document called "Design by Deception: The Politics of Megaproject Approval" by Professor Bent Flyvbjerg in Harvard Design Magazine, Spring/Summer 2005, [http://flyvbjerg.plan.aau.dk/HARVARDDESIGN63PRINT.pdf]

There is something wrong in our construction industry, as alluded to by participants in the Uff Commission of Inquiry, and it overlaps with this notion of a developed state with its attendant requirements of modern and inclusive cultural spaces, consultative democracy and accountability. NAPA is now a symbol of flawed delivery of grand ideas for the benefit of all. Much like water for all by 2000! It is also a jumping off point for a revamping of the idea of a Ministry of Culture that still is appended to other ministries like an sickly stepchild. There was much discussion, now the work has to begin. Rubadiri's report is part of the "actioning" of the players to overcome the indifference of consecutive governments to what is our greatest gift to the world, our culture. Good job Rubadiri.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »
Culture Minister Mc Donald and two technical people from UDeCOTT had a press conference this morning.  They say the entire article was lies, damn lies and more lies.  The only thing they was true was that the sound equipment was indeed analog and not digital.  Mc. Donald came close to cussing Andre Baghoo.
Dais all ah have time to type right now and to be honest ah just plain tired ah de circus....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
Culture Minister Mc Donald and two technical people from UDeCOTT had a press conference this morning.  They say the entire article was lies, damn lies and more lies.  The only thing they was true was that the sound equipment was indeed analog and not digital.  Mc. Donald came close to cussing Andre Baghoo.
Dais all ah have time to type right now and to be honest ah just plain tired ah de circus....

Who ever built the mixing console probably wanted it that way... cause a mixture of analog and digital is can be used for large systems like this. With analog mixing boards you can get more warmth and depth for the brass and bass sounds. Nothing wrong with an analog mixing board... just takes a little more articulation. Ask Rudabiri if he prefers to use a digital amp for he guitar when he plays he rap-so or does he use a tube amp...? May be the head live sound engineer wanted the system to be like that....? my 2 cents...!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
ah sorry to laugh, but lawd ah get ah visual of dat scene and buss hard in meh office.
dey fridge about to cuss

Airman where dey utube showing that?

AirMan

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »

ah sorry to laugh, but lawd ah get ah visual of dat scene and buss hard in meh office.
dey fridge about to cuss

Coming soon my friend  :devil:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 12:30:49 PM »

dey fridge about to cuss

I wasn't watching but rather taking it een on radio.  It didn't matter cuz I could tell by the tone in her voice and the way she was picking on Baghoo, I say any minute she woulda cuss him and walk out......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »

Ah just plain tired ah de circus....

COSIGNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
I guess the analog vs digital story would be interesting if not for the  fact that the labels are all in ,,,,,,,
guess what?? yup Chinese!!!
 :applause:
who says the government doesn't have a sense of humour

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
I guess the analog vs digital story would be interesting if not for the  fact that the labels are all in ,,,,,,,

Actually they said that part about things being labelled in Chinese is a lie too.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »
Oh shit...

The Rev Juliana Pena should go and check the church up in Guanapo forthwith.

It might cost her 80 Million to fix the pews and sanctuary.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »
Oh shit...

and the door ways might be a tad short
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »
Oh shit...

and the door ways might be a tad short

alyuh not right u know :rotfl: :rotfl: ;D............u know we have chinee members on here right?
I pity the fool....

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »
Lewwe see if the Church get a Digital Sound System setup.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
Lewwe see if the Church get a Digital Sound System setup.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Touches....yuh real idle boy....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

truetrini

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
allyuh in allyuh glee.  So is it true?  That it is in chinese,a nd that it is analog,a nd the dance floor is concrete, and how a man who involved in the arts come up with ah 80 million figure?  He involved in construction industry too?

Jes asking.

AirMan

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
Culture Minister denies claims that NAPA needs $8m in refurbishment
Tuesday 16th March, 2010

Minister of Community Development, Culture and Gender Affairs, Marlene Mc Donald, denies claims by the Artists Coalition of Trinidad and Tobago that NAPA will need an additional $80 million in repairs. She says the estimates are unfounded because the building is currently undergoing a review of all systems and it may be months before any definitive analysis is completed..Read the rest http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=19084

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
allyuh in allyuh glee. 

Yep. 

Yuh see I eh have no affiliation with any party so when they ALL do shit I enjoying mih self.  Ah tell PNMites about 2 - 3 weeks ago to pull Manning aside and talk to him but like they eh taking me on.  Well, let then comedy/circus continue....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

truetrini

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
allyuh in allyuh glee. 

Yep. 

Yuh see I eh have no affiliation with any party so when they ALL do shit I enjoying mih self.  Ah tell PNMites about 2 - 3 weeks ago to pull Manning aside and talk to him but like they eh taking me on.  Well, let then comedy/circus continue....

But he was pulled aside and told what the REAL feeling and word was on the ground.   He was nd it eh have nutten to do with you or your advise.

lol

But ah notice the questions I posed are left unanswered ent?

Public mischief indeed...they stirring up trouble where there is none.

Stick to the facts, lke de opposition trying to deflect from Calder Hart or what?  Like dey have ADD or ADHD?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:39:22 PM by Trinity Cross »

AirMan

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »

dey fridge about to cuss

Culture Minister goes on the defensive over

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f-cLYg2bdVY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f-cLYg2bdVY</a>

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 10:47:01 PM »

Actually they said that part about things being labelled in Chinese is a lie too.....

Nah man......it really labelled "We Ting" :devil:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
allyuh in allyuh glee. 

Yep. 

But he was pulled aside and told what the REAL feeling and word was on the ground.   He was nd it eh have nutten to do with you or your advise.

lol

But ah notice the questions I posed are left unanswered ent?

Public mischief indeed...they stirring up trouble where there is none.

Stick to the facts, lke de opposition trying to deflect from Calder Hart or what?  Like dey have ADD or ADHD?

Before the $2m flag bachanal I would have thought so, but that issue thought me that where there is smoke there is fire....the truth goh come out one way or another....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:48 AM »
Anybody heard that the National museum is being moved out so that the admin offices of the nappa can be housed in the victoria building?  ???
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

AirMan

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »
Chinese Embassy defends NAPA
Friday 19th March, 2010

The Embassy of the People's Republic of China has defended the National Academy for the Performing Arts in Port of Spain.

C News understands that the Embassy is standing by the construction of the facility, which it has described as a co-operative project between China and Trinidad and Tobago.

NAPA was completed in November 2009, and officials at the Chinese Embassy have said it meets all necessary standards and requirements. Read the rest http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=19172

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »
Anybody heard that the National museum is being moved out so that the admin offices of the nappa can be housed in the victoria building?  ???

Yep.  Pat Bishop spoke up about it some weeks ago....could be that's why she was "gagged".....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
Dookeran and team barred from NAPA

Members of the Congress of the People (COP) were denied access to the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port-of-Spain yesterday. Some members of the COP, led by political leader Winston Dookeran, assembled outside NAPA around 11 am to tour the facility. But as the group tried to enter the facility they were quickly confronted by a group of security officers, led by the head of University of T&T (UTT) security Ben Ramnarine. COP activist Anil Roberts said the party sent a letter asking to tour the facility, but did not receive a response.
Ramnarine informed them that their request was not approved.
He said a letter was faxed to the COP office, stating that they would receive an answer by March 23. Dookeran said: “We came to tour the facility to see whether citizens were getting value for money.” He added that this came in light of the recent concerns expressed by the Artists Coalition of T&T (ACTT) that NAPA was not functional for local artists and citizens were not getting value for money. “We want to see it ourselves, right now we are giving them the benefit of the doubt until we get the opportunity to tour the facility...We want to find out if it is a white elephant,” Dookeran said.
He added that they wanted to determine whether it was fact or fiction concerning the functionality of the place and if it would be a burden on the Treasury. He said the people had a right to information and was calling on the Culture Minister to address the concerns raised. Roberts said the party had written to the Community, Culture and Genders Affairs Ministry, Queen’s Hall board and UTT, requesting permission to tour the facility. He said they had written to the three organisations as they were uncertain as to which one had the authority.
Based on the report by ACTT, Roberts highlighted some of the flaws at NAPA, saying that the doors were smaller than the required specifications for artistes who had equipment, no outside stage for outside cultural events, and a smaller stage was also required. He said the outdated analog systems installed was useless and the Government should have considered modern technology such as a digitalised system.
He added JW and Blaze were also denied permission to film their Road March hit Palance in front the facility. However, soca artist Neil Iwer George, calypsonian D Original De Fosto (Winston Scarborogh) and chutney singer Ravi B came under fire by Roberts for going against the ACTT and praising the Government for the “wonderful” facility. Roberts challenged the three artistes to host their own show without any kind of subsidisation and prove to the public that it can be economically viable.

http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2010/03/20/dookeran-and-team-barred-napa
(Muslim)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »
No Chutney for NAPA
By ANDRE BAGOO Saturday, March 20 2010

click on pic to zoom in

Culture Minister Marlene McDonald ...
« prev photo next photo »
CULTURE Minister Marlene Mc Donald blanked a proposal for the hosting of the World Chutney Soca Monarch at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA) in Port-of- Spain because the facility was – in her view – not built for “those kinds of things”, according to president of the National Chutney Foundation, Vijay Ramlal.

“We wrote to the ministry when the facilities were just opened and requested the use of the facility to have the World Chutney Soca Monarch,” Ramlal said. “We had 25 countries sending representatives and we indicated that we wanted to do the event slightly differently whereby we would have greater seating capacity and better acoustics and have it in a world class facility suited to the participation.

“However, we were informed that the facility was not for that kind of thing,” Ramlal said. “The minister spoke to me and indicated that the facility was not built for ‘those kinds of things’, it was built for more classical events,” Ramlal said.

“I remember her saying that when the other facility (the National Carnival Centre) is built that is where those kinds of things will take place,” he added. Ramlal’s comments flies in the face of a series of electronic advertisements taken out by the Culture Ministry over the facilities of the NAPA, which have been criticised by the Artists Coalition of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT). One such advertisement features popular chutney artiste Ravi “Ravi B” Bissembhar, the Chutney Soca Monarch. In that ad, Bissembhar described NAPA as a venue where a lot of Indian cultural events could take place. In the ad, played on television, there were images of Indian dancers at the front of NAPA while Bissembhar’s voice could be heard extolling the facility.

Yesterday, Congress of the People (COP) political leader Winston Dookeran questioned whether the country has gotten value for money on NAPA. At a press conference outside NAPA, opposite the Queen’s Park Savannah, Dookeran called on the State to allow open tours of the facility immediately.

“The public has raised a lot of issues not the least of which is whether there has been value for money in this project,” Dookeran said after the press conference. “We have a right to know all the answers to questions that have been asked about the performing arts and whether or not the defects that have been outlined are so prohibitive that we have made a bad investment.”

He said the COP applied to tour the facility on Thursday but were told that they would get a response to this request on March 23.

“We thought that there might have been a facility for the public to tour without having to make a request,” he said. “We have learnt that even the security officers don’t go inside of the building themselves. So nobody knows what is going on.”

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,117625.html
(Muslim)

truetrini

Re: So whats the real story?
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:33 AM »
NAPA- setting the record straight with facts.

Port of Spain, Trinidad

NAPA - Setting the record straight with facts.

* The first major stakeholder consultations for the Performing Arts Academies took place as far back as 12 March 1988 at the Jean Pierre Sports Complex under the then-NAR Government.  In 1990, a committee convened by the Prime Minister put forth a new plan for a National School for the Arts, Steel Band Theatre, an overall Creative Arts Gallery and administrative offices.  When the Urban Development Corporation was formed in 1994 one of its first assignments was the design and construction of the National Academies for the Performing Arts based on the accumulated advice of concerned stakeholders.  Consultations with stakeholders were also conducted by former Culture Minister Ms. Joan Yuille Williams.  It's clear that stakeholders have been valued participants all along and even under different governmental regimes.

* Approximately TT $100 million in contracts were awarded to local subcontractors for various construction elements.  All concrete and related works were contracted locally.  Additionally, the suppliers of kitchen equipment and other significant components of the fit-out were purchased locally and installed by local labor.

* Our experts estimate that 20,000 cubic meters of concrete were laid in the foundation, with every single pour inspected and signed off by the engineer of record.  Concrete suppliers tested the strength of the concrete from every pour and reinforcing steel was similarly safety-checked.  Project partners even tested the bearing capacity of the soil to ensure that the foundation will have sufficient strength.  Geotechnical surveys undertaken also made certain that construction met all requirements. 

* All steel on the NAPA project was tested - over 250 tonnes - and every single weld was tested.  The super-structure of the building included approximately 5 miles of welds that were safety-checked on a continual basis.  The steel work was performed by Shanghai Construction and testing was carried out by qualified local contractors.  International experts on the project chose a type of steel that was appropriate to the needs of the project and preferred for the seismic environment of Trinidad and Tobago - clearly meeting the international building codes.  Almost all of this safety and quality-control work was performed by local contractors.

* The loading areas of NAPA were designed for the needs of a learning academy.  The facility is built specifically to give students the opportunity to construct large sets and structures inside the building.  Even so, the loading areas of NAPA have been sufficient for major performances.  These include multiple performances during CHOGM - with the loading in of dozens of steel pans, a 50-piece orchestra, large costumes and two grand pianos all at once.

* The NAPA stage is modeled after world-class academic facilities like the performing arts academies of the Baltics, Shanghai and Chicago.  The stage is intended to be so versatile that opportunities for expression are only limited by the stretch of an artiste's imagination.  Sixteen sets of curtains and large construction spaces offer students the ability to create any sort of space they desire.

Inter-disciplinary performance was the key factor in fitting out this academy, which has no equal in the Caribbean.  The moving stage is designed to accommodate the quick movement of steel bands, orchestras, theatre performers and sets.  The wood floor design facilitates dancing and high-impact performances, cushioning dancers to an extent that meets all expectations of a multi-use surface.

The performance space and seating capacity are considered well in line with benchmark venues of this nature - world-wide.

At NAPA there are spaces conducive to the layout of "black box" theatres, and it is left to the end-user to make decision as to the final use of each room.

The academy rooms are sound-proofed and the three multi-functional rooms are acoustically designed, stage lit and include small stage areas.  These facilities are all considered useful for a variety of performing arts, based on the requisite needs of a teaching academy.

Rooms intended for dance instruction are fully equipped with appropriate vinyl flooring, and standard apparatus.

While there is not a specific outdoor amphitheatre, there are ample outdoor spaces and venues for potential outdoor productions.  In a creative environment such as an academy for young artistes, we see every opportunity for students to pursue their artistic vision throughout the NAPA space.

World-class experts from outside contractors consulted on the sound and lighting installations and found them to be more than sufficient for a teaching environment.  The equipment installed is intended to provide high-quality performance capabilities and a spring-board teaching environment.

All the components are in place to configure sound and light fixtures as needed.  There is capacity to add even more stage-related elements depending on requirements of the user.

The "back of the house" area of the main theatre stage is replete with all standard elements.  There are dozens of dressing and costuming spaces with lighting and facilities.  Showers, clothing storage and restrooms are easily accessible back stage and on all levels of the facility.

Construction space and storage are designed for students to learn all aspects of performance production.  The spaces are more than ample, as evidenced by the Brian MacFarlane CHOGM production, Dance Meh Lover and Chinese Ballet productions.

Add the FACT that I saw an Errol Fabien video PRAISING the facility and there was dancing going on and on A WOODEN FLOOR TOO!

truetrini

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 07:56:41 AM »
Not only is the dance floors..yes floors those for  training also wooden and vinyl, but the backstage enterances look pretty damn large too, and the audio system is in Chines and ENGLISH!  It looks analog though from the buttons, but the Minister assures us that it is Digital...so what now?

What is the real story?

1]; } ?>