April 28, 2024, 10:43:32 PM

Author Topic: What to do about Stern?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What to do about Stern?
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:49:46 PM »
I've always heard the saying "Form is temporary, class is permanent" which suggests you should stick with your best players because you never know when they are going to get back their scoring touch.  However in our desperate situation we don't have the luxury of waiting until Stern turns things around, if we don't win tomorrow our World Cup dream is over.
Believe it or not, the decision that BSC has to make here is similar to the one that the Brazil coach is facing with Ronaldo.  the big difference is Brazil will most likely qualify even if Ronanldo continues to struggle for a few more games.

RIO DE JANEIRO, March 28 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira reiterated his backing for Ronaldo on Monday and said he had not considered dropping the out-of-form striker.
'Other teams don't have anyone like Ronaldo and are green with envy of Brazil,' Parreira told Brazilian media in Montevideo where the world champions face Uruguay in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier.
'We have him, yet we've been putting him down for some time.'
Ronaldo has hit a bad patch with Real Madrid in the last two months and is reported to have clashed with coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo.
His international form is also suffering and he looked lethargic in Sunday's 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Peru in Goiania, missing an open goal and wasting another chance when he shot weakly at goalkeeper Oscar Ibanez.
However, he partially atoned by providing the pass for Kaka's 74th minute goal.
Parreira denied that Ronaldo was untouchable in the team.
'If I have to take him off, I will,' said Parreira. 'But I think I ought to keep him on the field for everything that he is.'
'I've been keeping an eye on Ronaldo and I haven't seen him at an low ebb, or walking around with his head down. I think he just wants to get through this bad patch and go back to being the player that the world admires.'

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: What to do about Stern?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 09:57:01 PM »
I hear you loud  and clear. In one sense it would be wise to sit him, yet we do not have the depth of a Brazil. And one never knows when some players of this calibre would burst out of a slump.

The  decision is very critical at this stage.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I would play him
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 10:06:12 PM »
he is feared among CONCACAF and rightly so.

Big players show up for Big games.
He knows that this could be potentially his biggest ever.

See how he goes for 1 hr.
All forwards go through this and come out of it.
If he starts back firing, CR will have hell to pay.
Between him, Glen, Pierre and Jones, we have some firepower.

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:09:44 PM »
I think Stern need to come off the bench in this one. I'd start with Yorke and Glen in front.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 10:36:54 PM »
B E N C H

I saw the Guatemala game and I must say he does find himself with the ball in dangerous positions so that is good.
But I think he earn he spot on the bench till the 2nd half.  Can't wait for 60 mins at the start of de match for form to kick in.  Especially when all the attacking opportunites are aimed at him

That is based on performance BUT it also depends on if we playing that boom kick style...if they do (which they probably will) then he and Jones is good target men.  They winning the long balls maybe half the time BUT when they don't that starting the other team raid on we goal.

In at least the last two WCQ an opposition goal started with Stern losing the ball followed by a race to our goal.

Still cah believe no Sealey.  I have to say Dwight is not a midfielder eh...doh know who we fooling.  True he might be more involved in the play at mid but I want him intimidating their backline cuz he stronger than Stern by far and know what offside mean.  Not up to us to decide doh.

Alll things told I believe MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT is possible(based on flashes of play in dat 5-1 beating) but it depends on knowing who we are as a football team and well the errors in our defensive approach should be well known by now. 

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 11:22:37 AM »
Sometimes "ah little absence does make the heart grow fonder," or in this case may be a short bench, may be the first half for Stern, could make him more hungry and pull him out of this slump.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 11:36:07 AM »
I've always heard the saying "Form is temporary, class is permanent" which suggests you should stick with your best players because you never know when they are going to get back their scoring touch.  However in our desperate situation we don't have the luxury of waiting until Stern turns things around, if we don't win tomorrow our World Cup dream is over.
Believe it or not, the decision that BSC has to make here is similar to the one that the Brazil coach is facing with Ronaldo.  the big difference is Brazil will most likely qualify even if Ronanldo continues to struggle for a few more games.

RIO DE JANEIRO, March 28 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira reiterated his backing for Ronaldo on Monday and said he had not considered dropping the out-of-form striker.
'Other teams don't have anyone like Ronaldo and are green with envy of Brazil,' Parreira told Brazilian media in Montevideo where the world champions face Uruguay in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier.
'We have him, yet we've been putting him down for some time.'
Ronaldo has hit a bad patch with Real Madrid in the last two months and is reported to have clashed with coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo.
His international form is also suffering and he looked lethargic in Sunday's 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Peru in Goiania, missing an open goal and wasting another chance when he shot weakly at goalkeeper Oscar Ibanez.
However, he partially atoned by providing the pass for Kaka's 74th minute goal.
Parreira denied that Ronaldo was untouchable in the team.
'If I have to take him off, I will,' said Parreira. 'But I think I ought to keep him on the field for everything that he is.'
'I've been keeping an eye on Ronaldo and I haven't seen him at an low ebb, or walking around with his head down. I think he just wants to get through this bad patch and go back to being the player that the world admires.'

Confidence talk by Perriera, it would have  been interesting to see what he would have done should Adriano be available  ;D Ronaldo is one of the greatest of all time no doubt about that. But I think his fitness is questionable, though given the right circumstance he can still score goals. With Adriano out there is really no one to challenge Ronaldo for the position.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 11:43:34 AM »
The Brazialin coach also has the depth , skill level and talent on his team to make that move. I am in favour of bencing John, but It may not happen.

"DRASTIC TIMES CALLS FOR DRASTIC MEASURES"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 11:47:56 AM »
Let him ride the pine.........Bench he tail good and proper.

Alyuh acting like Stern now start to play shit.............the man playing a pile for the longest while.

Infact what was the last game Stern play good in and score where it mattered?

If is one thing you guarantee to get from him is a fall down, a shout at yuh team mates, a get caught orfside 6-7 times and a hand on yuh waist slow walk.

Now I ent mind if he score today and we win, but I say BENCH.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »
The reality is...Stern eh warmin no bench

And unless he get injured durin de game (GOD forbid)....he playin de full 90 minutes

So leh we eat we biscuit...hush we mout...and support dem as usual when dey out dey and hope dat dey ketch a vaps
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 06:43:27 PM »
the verdict is still out. I hope de man get some  time to reflect and practice up he game fuh the next games.
In this game he was a non factor once more.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 07:08:27 PM »
B E N C H.

A little bench good for the soul.

1]; } ?>