March 28, 2024, 05:43:10 AM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones supports SAFC Foundation’s Family Learning through Football  (Read 765 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones supports SAFC Foundation’s Family Learning through Football programme
The Northern Echo

SUNDERLAND striker Kenwyne Jones yesterday joined a session of the SAFC Foundation’s Family Learning through Football programme.

The Trinidad and Tobago international visited Lumley Junior School, Great Lumley, near Chester-le-Street, to help the programme, which aims to improve parenting and communication skills through football-themed activities.

The programme has been shortlisted in the national Sports Industry Awards.

Jones said: “I think that football has the power to inspire people to achieve things in all areas of their lives and I’m delighted to be able to play my part in supporting such a groundbreaking programme.

“With Family Learning through Football, SAFC Foundation has demonstrated that you can use sport not only to build skills like numeracy and literacy but also communication and parenting skills. As a parent myself I know how important communication skills are, which is why I’m backing this initiative.’’

KENWYNE JONES: Promoting parenting and
communication skills

HAPPY FEET: Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones
with children from Lumley Junior School and their
parents at the family learning sessions set up by
the football club
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne drops into school
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:40:26 AM »
Kenwyne drops into school
safc.com

Sunderland AFC striker Kenwyne Jones took part in the Premier League's Places for Players scheme by joining in with a Family Learning session last week.

Jones attended a Family Learning though Football session run by SAFC Foundation at Lumley Junior School on Thursday, March 11.

The Family Learning though Football programme engages parents and their children in football themed activities to help improve parenting and communication skills as well as confidence and knowledge of fitness and health issues.

Recently shortlisted in the national Sports Industry Awards, Family Learning through Football is a unique SAFC Foundation programme written and administered by staff at the charity.

The Black Cats star played his part via the Places for Players project, set up to promote clubs' community departments through player participation.

Jones said: "I think that football has the power to inspire people to achieve things in all areas of their lives and I'm delighted to be able to take part in such a groundbreaking programme.

"With Family Learning through Football SAFC Foundation have demonstrated that you can use sport not only to build skills like numeracy and literacy but also communication and parenting skills."

In 2009 Family Learning through Football worked with 949 families in the region including a record 359 men (the national average for programmes of this type is 11%). 84% of parents engaged through the programme felt that they'd improved their parenting skills whilst 81% reported improved relationships with their children.

Family Learning through Football is delivered at primary and secondary schools across the Sunderland, South Tyneside and Durham region with support from Cestria Community Housing, Durham County Council, The Parenting Fund, South Tyneside Council, Sunderland City Council and Sunderland Primary Care Trust.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>