April 18, 2024, 10:59:37 PM

Author Topic: Football genius Matthew Nunes passes on  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football genius Matthew Nunes passes on
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:46:19 AM »
Football genius Matthew Nunes passes on
By Alvin Corneal (T&T Guardian)

Like most other people, I tend to hero worship extraordinarily talented people, whether they be in sport, music or any other noble cultural field. The passing of Matthew Nunes brought me right back to the year 1956, when I was just in my final year of college and had joined the great Maple Club. In those days, great sportsmen were recognised even more than the politicians of the land, regardless of what their profession was or where they lived.

Nunes was the person whom I chose to emulate on the football field. I make no apologies to admit that many times, when I played on the same team as he did, I caught myself in a trance as this modest and humble master of the art of dribbling and passing would mesmerise the thousands of fans who travelled to the Grand Savannah to witness matches among the clubs in the North of Trinidad. On numerous occasions, tough defensive teams would plan a course of action for the cavalier, carefree, ball wizard—a challenge which Nunes enjoyed immensely as he wended his way in and among the late tackles towards the opponents goal.

Advice from the former national inside left was precious and it was always followed by his superbly clinical manoeuvres in a fashion which only Matthew Nunes could produce. He was selected for the T&T national team’s first and only tour of England in 1953, where he excelled to the point that, together with another great player Shay Seymour, he was given a contract to play for clubs in England. Academically brilliant, Nunes returned to T&T after six years in England and used his education in accounting to join Texaco, but continued his love affair with football.

His age may have challenged his natural talent, but no one noticed the difference when he took the field with the Maroon and Gold shirt of Maple and brought happiness to the fans of the 50s and 60s. I felt honoured to have been on the field with names like Nunes, Alan Joseph, Conrad Braithwaite and Hugh Sealy (all deceased). The lessons which they have taught should have been recorded, if only because much of it could have been utilised in today’s setting.

Some will claim that the world would have recognised the ability of Nunes ten fold if he was not a typical Trini whose lifestyle was mixed with the regular evening beverages among his friends. The latter part of his life was spent in New York and much of his contribution only remained with those of us who were present to witness his absolute prowess. May you rest in peace my friend. Matthew Nunes passed away on Sunday in New York, USA where he lived. He was 86.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:42:49 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Football genius Matthew Nunes passes on
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:01:44 AM »
RIP Matthew Nunes....a true T&T footballing legend.  :salute:

Nice work Mr Corneal  :applause:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »
Condolences to his family.The golden oldies always argue he's the best striker we've ever produced.  Truly a legend.Its sad to know most of these youngsters who play today never heard of the man because they are not students of the sport.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 05:52:03 AM »
Its sad to know most of these youngsters who play today never heard of the man because they are not students of the sport.

On de odda hand, de powers dat be doh do enough to make information on these players readily available. Ah mean, Nunes is ah Hall of Famer. But dis is not unique to football. You can say de same about most if not all other disciplines in T&T.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:47:19 AM »
Its sad to know most of these youngsters who play today never heard of the man because they are not students of the sport.

On de odda hand, de powers dat be doh do enough to make information on these players readily available. Ah mean, Nunes is ah Hall of Famer. But dis is not unique to football. You can say de same about most if not all other disciplines in T&T.

COSIGNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »
blessings
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
I knew his son, Mathew, in Belmont. He played for tem a called Preston. Guys, according to the old folks, this fella was rated as one of the best TT has ever produced. Unfortunately, I never saw him. RIP old warrior.

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:58:50 PM »
Yeah Yeah I agree this is where men like Tallman from Soca Warriors could step up and develop a library for we. A A I ain't realize is you nah tallman lol. If yuh want I have access to 50 world cup tickets though
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

1]; } ?>