April 25, 2024, 05:35:30 PM

Author Topic: A Letter from Falkirk Football Club Magazine  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A Letter from Falkirk Football Club Magazine
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:47:35 AM »
People.. I got this letter today... it was written by Brian Flynn of Falkirk,Scotland ... this was after the TnT Vz Honduras WCQ in tnt last year ( 2009)...read on

Bishops Chair Trinidad & Tobago Trip 2009

When Russell left the club and took up his post as Assistant/Player Coach with his national team we made a decision to try and get over for a game. We felt his service to Falkirk had been second to none and personally I had become rather attached to the wee man having admired him from the stands since the Awful view days and marvelled at those silky skills and blinding tricks. He was also a regular visitor to BTW and always had lots of time to have a drink (and a smoke) with the boys talking football.

I was also delighted to get involved in Latapy Day and the Bishops Chair boys got together and presented him with a specially commissioned painting, which was given to him at a Sportsman’s lunch all of which was greatly appreciated by him I know.

Anyway we decided on the Honduras home game on March 27th and booked the flights, unfortunately only three of us could manage the trip. I think if they had all known what was in store more would have been on that flight, the week was one of the most memorable ever for me, Clarkie and Big Keith. Not that Trinidad is all bounty advert beaches and cocktails. It is widely known as the murder capital of the Caribbean and is the more industrial of the two islands, Tobago being more of a holiday destination. However, the welcome we received from the locals was just amazing. We were treated like royalty or visiting dignitaries rather than three football fans there for a few beers and to take in a match.

Having been at the World Cup in 2006 and met many Trinis and also Sandy Alexander had invited a party of them from London up to Falkirk; we knew how much they loved a party and the affinity with the Scots had already been established. We also hosted a band called Jointpop at BTW and had kept in touch with them by email and phone and got into their music.

When we arrived a text hit my phone almost straight away from Russell, “Welcome to our little paradise” and our Trinidad adventure had begun.

Highlights
Trip to Maracas Beach
A beautiful spot for swimming, surfing, sunbathing and Bake & Shark from Richards (local seafood delicacy). Bought a polystyrene cooler for the beer, rum and ice. Gary sat on it so I thought I could too, not so lucky it ended up in bits in the sand! Forgot I am about 4 stone heavier than him. Went back to Dion’s (the drummer’s) house to let the traffic die down met his fantastic family, more Rum, met Gary’s wife Wendy and their great Kids Rainbow and Cheyenne. (He is in touch with his spiritual roots Man!) Realised Wendy’s accent was in fact Welsh although she has never been there; she also looked a bit like Nessa from Gavin and Stacey, hysterically when she got drunk we had her screaming “Ho... Whats Occurring!” at the top of her voice. Keith couldn’t get money out of the bank.

Meeting Russell
The Wee Man was holding court on the Tuesday night at ‘More Vino’ bar restaurant, chatted for ages, amazingly he rates Kevin McBride very highly! We said we would try and get him a T&T passport and citizenship if he was interested! He has very specific plans if he ever becomes a club manager in Europe to pick out the diamonds in the lower leagues of Spain and Portugal, still harbours ambitions to manage the Bairns one day. He kept saying to us, ‘well guys I have to get to bed now it’s a big week for me’ we would say goodnight and turn round ten minutes later and he was still sitting in the same seat with another drink! I asked him why Stern John had taken (and missed ) the second penalty against El Salvador. He said “Ask him yourself he is sitting next to you!” To be fair he was wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses but I was suitably embarrassed. We left Russell in the place! Keith couldn’t get money out of the bank.

Fishing Trip to the Islands.
Gary and Dion and mates Brains and Scott took us out fishing almost straight away we caught a whopper of a Tarpon (honest) got the pictures to prove it. Rescued two young couples from Venezuela stranded on a beach, they had been dropped off in a boat and forgotten about earlier that day. Thought about throwing the boys back! Ran out of beer on the boat so we had to drink Rum and Coke in the car back to Port of Spain, Gary (the driver) also had one behind the wheel whilst driving, lighting a fag and taking a phone call! Not the same controls over driving behaviour shall we say. Keith couldn’t get money out of the bank.

Jointpop Gig
On the Thursday night saw Jointpop live at Shakers on the Avenue they were awesome, they told us they are a possibility for T-in the Park so watch this space www.myspace.com/jointpop, met lots of great people all of whom are coming to the next BTW Jointpop gig. Had too many Jagerbombs, taxi home with kilt hanging out the door taxi driver tells me “De skirt is on de road Man!”. Keith couldn’t get money out of the bank.

Match day
Watched the Scotland game in Sports Bar had to leave before the third goal went in to go and get our tickets. Russell’s fixer Charlie arranged for the tickets to be delivered to our hotel, got to the game an hour before kickoff, bought a cooler bag full of Carib (local beer) for about a fiver which lasted the whole game. Densill played first half (Yogi was not far wrong about him). Honduras scored (nightmare we are jinxes!) Russell came on with 15 minutes to go, rapturous reception, ball comes to him, he kills it and fires a superb diagonal ball to Kieran Highland who squeezes it under the keeper for the equaliser (phew we’re not jinxes).   Back to Shakers for more Caribs, Rum and Jagerbombs. Keith couldn’t get money out of the bank.

Going Home
Next day we had to head off but Sandy Alexander had given us some FFC Latapy 10 away tops to gift to people, we gave the last two to a couple of young guys working as porters in the Hotel. Honestly you would have thought we had given them the crown jewels, they were so grateful. Many of the locals have very little in terms of material possessions and the overwhelming feeling we left with was of the humble, friendly people who made every effort to send us home with fantastic memories of their “Little Paradise”. Like Russell they left us with a lasting impression............ TnT we will be back.
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A Letter from Falkirk Football Club Magazine
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Good one- funny.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
Did Keith get money out the bank?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:19 PM »
yes..keith got money out the bank..eventually...lol..
was like dat ole trini trick..."boy ah leave meh wallet home"..lol..

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »
Gary- good one brother... you were a good host and ambassador  :beermug:

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »
Really funny stuff. Cheers!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
I asked him why Stern John had taken (and missed ) the second penalty against El Salvador. He said “Ask him yourself he is sitting next to you!” To be fair he was wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses but I was suitably embarrassed.
:D
dais de best part of ah damn good letter....he lucky stern eh mash he toe

Big Mag, dem man put yuh on blast, whole ah Falkirk know how yuh does 'multi-task" behind the wheel eh
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »
Dutty...yea boy.. I was trying to nudge de man when he ask the magician about stern...but it was too late.
credit to stern.. he laugh it off with the normal line of " it happenes to the best of them "...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »
Good one Bigs
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »
Fantastic read.
Drink 2  :beermug: fuh dat
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>