April 29, 2024, 07:42:04 AM

Author Topic: Forget Rooney, magical Messi is the world's best  (Read 20088 times)

Offline onlikecorn

• Full Warrior
  • vibes it up
    • View Profile
Forget Rooney, magical Messi is the world's best
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »
just came across this article...

The famously insular world of English football has been quick to crown Wayne Rooney as the best player in the world in recent weeks - unsurprisingly perhaps in a World Cup year - but in Barcelona on Wednesday night, Lionel Messi demonstrated exactly why those claims ring hollow with a masterful performance in a 4-0 rout of Stuttgart.

Speculation that Rooney is football's leading light is far from outrageous. It is not, for example, a manifestation of the unjustified national arrogance that was exposed so horribly when Hungary humbled an overconfident England side with a 6-3 victory at Wembley in 1953, shattering illusions of grandeur. But it should be recognised that Messi is on another level - a once-in-a-lifetime talent. There is no excuse for a superiority complex on the part of Rooney or England.

Tormenting the visitors from the Bundesliga with his superior technique and utter genius, Messi was a force of nature. His run and finish for the opening goal was stunning - a mazy dribble followed by a thunderous drive from the edge of the box.

Nine minutes later it was his glorious pass that released Yaya Toure, who squared for Pedro to turn home the second. Messi then made it three in the second half with a quick spin and finish.

Nominally employed in an unorthodox central role in behind Thierry Henry, the reigning FIFA World Player of the Year was given licence to roam the Camp Nou turf and he did not disappoint, exuding threat on either flank or through the middle. But while his masterclass would represent the very peak of excellence for many a professional footballer, for Messi it was not even his best performance in the past week.

On Sunday, he took his league tally to 22 goals in 23 games with a delightful hat-trick against Valencia in a 3-0 win for Barcelona. After Barca's statement of intent on Wednesday night, he now boasts 29 in 32 games in all competitions. And while Rooney compares favourably in this regard - with 32 in 36 games - there is no disputing that in Messi, Barcelona have the world's finest player at present.

Sir Alex Ferguson's protege is in the form of his life though, there is no question about that. Deadly in the box, he has married a collection of predatory strikes with a catalogue of headed efforts. But they are not goals that cause jaws to drop in amazement and fans to forward on YouTube links with childish enthusiasm.

Messi, with his precocious dribbling skills, expert finishing, raw pace and brilliant football brain, scores such goals on a ridiculously regular basis. Moments that engage the imagination are his stock in trade, and he produced another on Wednesday night with that thrilling first goal.

Perhaps Messi is the 21st-century Diego Maradona to Rooney's Pele - a magician to rival a hungry and deadly accumulator of goals. A banner inside Old Trafford oft declares the Manchester United man to be the white incarnation of the Brazilian great while Messi has done so much more than a succession of Argentinean starlets to justify comparisons with a man who remains a deity in his home country.

But prior to kick-off, Barca goalkeeper Victor Valdes just about got it right, saying of Messi: "He's the best in the world. What he contributes with his talent makes him stand out. He could become the best player in history."

Wednesday night's display has only reinforced such a view. Rooney, for all his talent and prolific form, is not in this league.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=757470&sec=uefachampionsleague&root=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901

allyuh should try this in de us, uk and canada. . .actually works. . . use it instead of google. . and get free ting. . i get real free ting already....

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Forget Rooney, magical Messi is the world's best
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
Ok so Tom Adams opinion reigns supreme  ::) ::)

Messi was awesome today, I admit .. but the opposition..very suspect and were in awe of the surroundings and were completely shocking today...So when Wazza scores 4 against Hull it is the same as a great performance from the Argentine vs a poor team

I havent seen many Barca games this season...3 tops... and yes Messi is probably the World's best but I really wouldnt be able to tell you who is better this season between the two.

I still think Messi has more flair than Rooney but I think Rooney this season probably edges him on the overall statistics... It's a tough decision but both players are neck and neck... I guess the only way to judge is if United and Barca square off this season

Messi 31 in 37... Rooney 32 in 37... let's not forget Ronaldo..22 in 22  :o

Top 3 players in the world hands down...

For those that watch many Barca and United games..How do you compare Wazza's form vs Messi's?

be fair and honest please...I couldnt be bothered If Messi won all the awards again.. once United win the trophies  ;)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
this is milito year :) inter have the right chemistry, with jose it will take a very special team to beat them bad and win at the sir siro
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:00:41 PM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »
hello my name is DHW, im a hater  :) Messi sucks  :)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Andre DosSantos

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Ok so Tom Adams opinion reigns supreme  ::) ::)

Messi was awesome today, I admit .. but the opposition..very suspect and were in awe of the surroundings and were completely shocking today...So when Wazza scores 4 against Hull it is the same as a great performance from the Argentine vs a poor team

I havent seen many Barca games this season...3 tops... and yes Messi is probably the World's best but I really wouldnt be able to tell you who is better this season between the two.

I still think Messi has more flair than Rooney but I think Rooney this season probably edges him on the overall statistics... It's a tough decision but both players are neck and neck... I guess the only way to judge is if United and Barca square off this season

Messi 31 in 37... Rooney 32 in 37... let's not forget Ronaldo..22 in 22  :o

Top 3 players in the world hands down...

For those that watch many Barca and United games..How do you compare Wazza's form vs Messi's?

be fair and honest please...I couldnt be bothered If Messi won all the awards again.. once United win the trophies  ;)

Well i was waiting for Rooney to start doing this, i guess he was finally given the freedom to just start banging them in. Well Rooney's Form vs Messi's form stems from the team and personal style of play. Rooney is out right power and pace and some classic goal poaching. Messi is technique, pace and being unpredictable. It all comes down to what warms you up inside. I can't say i like anyone above the other because if you but them both together you have R9 ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »

be fair and honest please...

In terms of current form and easily measurable output I'd say they're equal.  Messi is more entertaining, and I think individually he's more capable of creating something out of nothing. From the spectator chair Messi is more electrifying...and I think that aspect of the game is very valuable as it brings alot out of the crowd and the players on the field....both of which go a long way.  

Football is part entertainment- can't ignore that aspect of it...There's a reason why defenders and goalkeepers don't win World Player of the year...Casillas could save the impossible- people want to see Zidane glide up and down the field like he's on skates....Messi is a better entertainer than Rooney.  

If Messi were an English player lighting up the field in the way that he does, making people hold their breath and expect something special everytime he gets the ball, english fans and the english press wouldn't even allow another player to be compared to him.  

Rooney is a scary customer- best pure striker in the game at the moment, but to me Messi is the best football player in the world right now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:21:58 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:38:24 PM »
Messi rounding form. He was brilliant against Valencia and then today's  performance.
Rooney has been sensational as well both players should be  :applause: :applause: for their performances this season, Thoroughly enjoyable
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:54:33 PM »
Nah, Messi is boss. Rooney not in that class. Not hating on Rooney and it's not a Man United Chelsea thing. In that game today what mad e me look at Messi differently was not his goal or dribbles. There was a moment that Barca lost the ball and Messi give chase, the player on the ball cut and turned leaving Messi and without looking around or hesitating Messi ran directly into the path of the pass intercepting the ball. Th epaaser either had to play that pass or hit a long  hopeful ball. That alone opened my eyes to the level of awareness and understanding this fella have in this game.

The guy is not a novelty he is the real deal.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:45 PM »
Messi is just UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »
Even I have had to concede (to myself) that rooney is in the best form I have ever seen him in this season and I also give him the world of credit for getting his temperament together as well.  He has come a long way as far as that is concerned and he has lived up to his promise of filling the goal-scoring void that cronaldo left behind.  That being said, rooney is simply not in Messi's class.  Nor will he ever be.  They have two totally different styles and as Kicker so eloquently pointed out, rooney can't make something out of nothing like Messi can, nor can he entertain like Messi can.  Those two points alone is enough to bring all the giddy comparisons to a dead halt......and I also like the added point that:

"....If Messi were an English player lighting up the field in the way that he does, making people hold their breath and expect something special everytime he gets the ball, english fans and the english press wouldn't even allow another player to be compared to him.  ...." 

So true, so true, so true. 

In fact, I don't even get where, according to the article, those folks that are even comparing rooney to Pele, where those folks are watching their football.  That is untreatable insanity.   
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:43:28 PM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 04:10:47 AM »
   "....If Messi were an English player lighting up the field in the way that he does, making people hold their breath and expect something special everytime he gets the ball, english fans and the english press wouldn't even allow another player to be compared to him.  ...." 

So true, so true, so true. 

In fact, I don't even get where, according to the article, those folks that are even comparing rooney to Pele, where those folks are watching their football.  That is untreatable insanity.   

Yes, well stated, also by Kicker. Something I realized long ago is the way that many English fans and much of their press tend to reason things:

"The best striker in England = The best striker in the World"

And you can substitute "striker" for team, manager or any other position on the field.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 07:24:29 AM »
Nobody cannot deny that Rooney is in the form of his life.

Putting the Haterade aside, once he is in the box a goal going to score - whether it be a header or goal mouth scramble, when a striker is in that kind of form it is akin to a floodgate being opened. Respect to Nani and Valenica for providing some best crosses. At this point, he must be thinking of breaking the 42 goals scored by C. Ronaldo.

That aside, when it comes to la magia, Messi is head and shoulders above the rest at the moment.

The last 2 games are testament to that (Valencia and Stuttgart). 5 world class, disrespectful goals.

Messi poses with a €100,000 cheque from UEFA on behalf of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) 18/3/10

Més que un club.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 07:34:08 AM »
basically following on from what was already said..

Rooney is in form... amazing form.

But Messi been doing that a while now. He is different class.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »
basically following on from what was already said..

Rooney is in form... amazing form.

But Messi been doing that a while now. He is different class.
Yuh have to remember Rooney playing in England eh. Everything better there.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
But some of y'all acting like rooney wasn't killing it the past few years too. The man has been incredible for some time now. He just now has the stage to himself to shine.

Messi and Rooney are equal in my opinion, but both are inferior to CRonaldo. CRonaldo is without a doubt the best footballer on the planet. IF he had a better attitude, and was playing for a more likeable team, he would have been more popular.

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »
Some folks does take it pussonal when comparisons are made. To say Messi is better than Rooney or anyone else for that matter, is not to belittle Rooney. In fact to rate Rooney as one of the best poachers in football is to rate Messi even higher.
If trophies won or titles or awards were to be considered Messi would win hands down ..... if importance to a team by goalscoring, chances creating, opponents destruction, and demorilisation of opponents were to be considered Rooney would win !! ...ha ha ha ha ...just joking folks.
Messi is the best ...Rooney is excellent, so is Ronaldo ...we have a good bunch ..and Tevez, ferdinand  and Puyol en far behind.
..but is one arena dat does settle tings !!! in that arena you separate the men from de boys ...all dem fellas mentioned go de dey ......is how you perform on de biggest stage dat does matter ...and if we are to be honest ...all dem fellas still et to master dat stage! we dont have long to wait ....I am usually a neat fella but since I see dat 16 year old make he debut for Barca ..well I just gone all Messi !!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
I'm curious to see how Messi reinvents himself as he gets older.... His style of play doesn't seem sustainable into his late 20's/30's.  As his feet lose that quickness, and his age affects his ability to be a busy bee buzzing up and down the field, his lack of size could possibly become a telling factor... He def has the football brain to always be a clever player, but physically I'm curious to see how he transforms himself.  Will he drop deeper and become a passing maestro? ...Will he stay in the box more and focus more on goal scoring?   

Rooney's style of play inside the 18 yrd box doesn't seem to depend as heavily on youth. He's not a twisting and turning, cut back and dash kind of forward...He has a great work-rate of course but he gains a great advantage by his keen sense of positioning, and his great technique and execution- something that doesn't fade with age...arguably it gets better...

Just a thought. 

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
I'm curious to see how Messi reinvents himself as he gets older.... His style of play doesn't seem sustainable into his late 20's/30's.  As his feet lose that quickness, and his age affects his ability to be a busy bee buzzing up and down the field, his lack of size could possibly become a telling factor... He def has the football brain to always be a clever player, but physically I'm curious to see how he transforms himself.  Will he drop deeper and become a passing maestro? ...Will he stay in the box more and focus more on goal scoring?   

Rooney's style of play inside the 18 yrd box doesn't seem to depend as heavily on youth. He's not a twisting and turning, cut back and dash kind of forward...He has a great work-rate of course but he gains a great advantage by his keen sense of positioning, and his great technique and execution- something that doesn't fade with age...arguably it gets better...

Just a thought. 

You are underestimating how much Rooney's speed plays into his game, man.

Football today has become so physical and dependent on physical attributes that I am afraid that all of these players will become obsolete in their early 30s, if not before.

But definitely agree with you about Messi. When that quickness is gone I'm really not sure what he will have left. At least i can see CRonaldo morphing into an all out forward with his height, heading, shooting and free-kick taking ability.
Messi might look like Figo in his late years.

Another key point is the amoutn of football these guys play these days. They just play way, way too much. Iz only so much tread you have on your tyres, plus these guys start so young.

Anywayz lewwe overs this talk cuz it kinda depressing.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »
These kinda posts anybody could say wha they want, is all opinion. Nobody really right or wrong...but my 2cents  :-[ is tha Ronaldo and Messi d best 2 players in the world. I think what Rooney do this yr is move himself from being a top 10 player to being in d argument to be called top 3 player now.
He in there with Eto'o, Drogba and Torres to be the best forward around. It always gonna come down to who in form at the time of the argument, but honestly u ask 4 people who the best among those 4 and u could easily get 1 vote each. bless
It's only kinky the 1st time

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
Everyone acting like this is Wayne's 1st good season... he's been a world class talent since his debut season at United... he's just added more goals this season due to his central location on the pitch.. before he would have to play out of position to assist Ronaldo

Every season Rooney get's better..which is scary.. he does everything.....goals..work rate..skill..good passing..good vision...versatile... just pure passion and massive quality

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »

Just a thought. 

I agree with yuh but I think Messi's touch is going to play a vital role when he gets older as a player. His touch is one of the best i have ever seen...in terms of knowing where he wants to go on the pitch in tight quarters under pressure. That touch of his makes the game so much easier. He has an additional 3 to 4 seconds to do wat he wants whenever he wants because of that touch. Imagine with experience that touch developing even more. That's scary. Rooney has a great touch as well but I agree, he is more suited for the aging process than Messi.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
Everyone acting like this is Wayne's 1st good season... he's been a world class talent since his debut season at United... he's just added more goals this season due to his central location on the pitch.. before he would have to play out of position to assist Ronaldo

Every season Rooney get's better..which is scary.. he does everything.....goals..work rate..skill..good passing..good vision...versatile... just pure passion and massive quality

I don't think anybody saying this is his first good season, but moreso this is his first world class season where we could actually mention him in that breath. Is not by surprise that this thread didn't pop up until now.

the key will be if he can carry his side to titles this year and perform on the big stage when its all on him. I still think Messi is different class, because imo a great defender with an assignment on Rooney could stop him.. A great defender could only stop Messi right now with help, and thats because he has unpredictability.. something Rooney doesn't have by virtue of him being English.

PS - I'm seriously worried about Rooney getting injured before the world cup. He's playing too many games and at some point thats not sustainable.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
I would rate Messi higher than Rooney but I would not be surprised if Rooney wins the Golden Boot at the World Cup.  His current form and England's heavy reliance on him can result in a lot of goals at the World Cup.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »

I don't think anybody saying this is his first good season, but moreso this is his first world class season where we could actually mention him in that breath. Is not by surprise that this thread didn't pop up until now.

the key will be if he can carry his side to titles this year and perform on the big stage when its all on him. I still think Messi is different class, because imo a great defender with an assignment on Rooney could stop him.. A great defender could only stop Messi right now with help, and thats because he has unpredictability.. something Rooney doesn't have by virtue of him being English.

PS - I'm seriously worried about Rooney getting injured before the world cup. He's playing too many games and at some point thats not sustainable.

both Wayne and Messi have played 37 games...I'm less worried for Rooney than little fragile Messi

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »

Just a thought. 

Kicker, later fuh you wit dah talk yuh know!  You eh spoilin' my giddy-ness wit dah chainup talk dis early mawnin.  I crossin' dah bridge (if and) when I reach it!   :D  

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
Drogba and Torres better than Rooney.  :devil:

Take heading ability, shooting, freekick, dribbling and finishing....Rooney ent matching them two fellas.

Drogba side foot shot/pass harder than a Rooney bullet.

C. Ronaldo better than Rooney

In fact I rate Ronaldo higher than Messi....under better freekick ability, bullet and header.

The equation is C. Ronaldo>Messi=Drogba=Torres>Rooney

Watch a player under the range of skills.

Rooney could win under wildness and bad tackle.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »
Drogba and Torres better than Rooney.  :devil:

Take heading ability, shooting, freekick, dribbling and finishing....Rooney ent matching them two fellas.

Drogba side foot shot/pass harder than a Rooney bullet.

In fact I rate Ronaldo higher than Messi....under better freekick ability, bullet and header.

Rooney could win under wildness and bad tackle.

As a Man U fan it hard for me to say but yuh spot on.... sometimes I would even say he's not as clutch as Febregas or Van Persie...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 12:01:52 PM »
As a Man U fan it hard for me to say but yuh spot on.... sometimes I would even say he's not as clutch as Febregas or Van Persie...

Joke is joke but now yuh pushing it. 

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo beats Lionel Messi in Marca study
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »
This comes from Robbo's Blog today on BBC:

"And yet... they were blissful at times on Wednesday night. They have the best conductor going, of course.  Lionel Messi is still half a quicksilver step ahead of Rooney as the world's finest player right now. What I like about both of them is they work their socks off and don't spend too much time prowling around like some over-coiffed model on a Dolce and Gabbana billboard. (I speak here of the third footballing great in our midst at present.)

Rooney is better in the air than Messi, but when young Lionel runs with the ball, the relationship between the two is positively umbilical. I just reckon he pips Rooney for the ability to create something all by himself.

Barca look better with Henry in the team instead of Ibrahimovic. I don't know anyone who actually rates Ibra. Everyone in our boozer just shrugged when asked if he was up to much, like we were talking about, ooh I dunno, Dave Kitson. Except Dave didn't cost £46m from Inter. (Mourinho brought in Milito and Thiago Motta and his team look way better for it.)

Barca do have a couple of jewels beside Messi. Iniesta floats around like a barn owl in footy kit. I never tire of watching the fella. Then there's Puyol, who's kind of what Gary Neville would be like if he had hair and talent. And Dani Alves - a tad prone to moments of utter dross but generally one of them brilliant Brazilian right-backs, but with more of the matador about him. A sort of Cafu Ole, if you will.

But it is Messi, ball at his feet, running at defenders like a clockwork mouse darting between the legs of narcoleptic cats, who makes Barca what they are at the moment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobson/2010/03/begging_you_for_messi.html
- Xavi

1]; } ?>