March 28, 2024, 02:54:51 PM

Author Topic: Forget Rooney, magical Messi is the world's best  (Read 19793 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Forget Rooney, magical Messi is the world's best
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2010, 06:17:38 PM »
Well...if men feel he doh score against "big side."  I guess he does make up fuh it by scoring 3 and 4 goals against small side.  :devil:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:06 PM »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »

Clichy nearly show up in as many pictures as Messi.  He musta had a good game, too!  :devil:

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2010, 09:23:55 PM »
this site real funny...probably one of the few forums where men will say messi, cronaldo, kaka, ronney, ronaldnho, etc ain't all that....after today i would rate messi as the best player in the world right now with ronaldo a close second...true he hasn't delivered much for argentina but south africa could be venue where he changes that, but i hope not since i am a brazil fan

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2010, 03:04:44 AM »
'Phenomenal' Messi receives universal acclaim

Barcelona's Argentinian superstar Lionel Messi's extraordinary one man demolition of English side Arsenal in their Champions League quarter-final second leg here on Tuesday earned the player known as 'The Flea' plaudits from friend and foe alike.

The 22-year-old's first ever four goal haul - he had already accrued three hat-tricks in 2010 - in the 4-1 defeat of Arsenal (6-3 on aggregate) gave the Champions League holders a date with Italian champions Inter Milan in the semi-finals.

His performance left all and sundry wide eyed with admiration.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline onlikecorn

• Full Warrior
  • vibes it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2010, 05:01:25 AM »
yeah . . i dont think it really have a contest . . . . rooney cannot teleport and do all this fairy magic.. .and just embarrass a whole team so. . . .
allyuh should try this in de us, uk and canada. . .actually works. . . use it instead of google. . and get free ting. . i get real free ting already....

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »

Lionel Messi will stand alongside Pele and Maradona in pantheon of greats

There was never any doubt that Lionel Messi had the technique, temperament and desire to become an all-time great; the only reservation concerned his body, or what there is of it.

If he had been born at the time of Pele or Diego Maradona, his waif’s physique would have stood no chance of survival against assassins such as the Portugal posse in the 1966 World Cup or Andoni Goicoechea, the Butcher of Bilbao, whose brand of ankle-crushing tackle from behind was outlawed in the early 1990s while Messi, aged five, was obtaining his first experience of organised football with a team coached by his father in Rosario, Argentina.

Fifa did its job for the game: a little late for Maradona but just in time for Messi to develop, with Barcelona coaching him and paying for his treatment for a growth-hormone deficiency, into the magical performer to whom we thrilled last night.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »
That's The End Of That Argument, Then...

Back in February when Wayne Rooney had scored twice in Milan, the Daily Mail 'experts' all created their list of the best players in the world. Toppermost of the poppermost in most lists was Englishman Wayne Rooney - hardly surprising among those who work for a newspaper that blames all Britain's ills on asylum seekers, single parents and homosexuals.

Mind you, this was the newspaper that used the typically ignorant headline 'The best players of the world (and Xavi): Ronaldo crowned king of football' only last year. Yes, the Xavi who had been the heartbeat of a Spain side recently crowned champions of Europe. Yes, possibly the best central midfielder in the world.

We would like to see those same 'experts' make their lists again as Lionel Messi produces the kind of 'ridiculous' (Thierry Henry's word of choice) form that cannot simply be ignored on the grounds that he's suspiciously small, foreign-looking and for some inexplicable reason shows no interest in playing in glorious Blighty. 

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2010, 09:24:43 AM »
Yeh the only argument now is about how good Messi really is, which is something determined by club AND international performances.
As it is now, Messi could have a horrible WC and still get World Player of the Year.
A good world cup would launch him into definite "best player ever" contention.

Messi really shat on his detractors in the last few weeks lol.
Shotta12 I talkin about you.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
When Malcolm Nash was asked about his thoughts on Garfield Sobers six, sixes. He replied " At least my name is in the history record books as well". I could only think that the Arsenal players will think they same way. If you are going to get run over by a car, it may as well be a Ferrari  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »
I just love to see these english reporters eat crow ...how to stop Messi ! Why arsenal will beat Barcelona ... Beckham and Giggs the best wingers in the world ... Rooney best young player in the world ..(he did not win it then)...Rooney best player in the world( he sure eh winning it now ) ..  They never stop.

Anyone remembers last year ? Wasn't Christiano the world's best when he was in England ? you eh hearing peep from them now that he chose Real Madrid over Manchester United. He gone from Hero to zero !

Good thing I learnt my lesson long time ...ever since they attempted to paint Maradona as a fake ..booing him over an entire exhibition game in England after '86 and after they had to relent an pay him his fee after tickets weren't selling fast enough without him.

England has been trying to portray themselves as a big sawatee in football for ages. Their WC victory in '66 remains their only title at all levels and in all competitions...and that was not without controversy.

I look again to next year when someone playing in the premier league in england will be the best in the world but unless they buy Messi it will be for me ..same ole ..same ole ting.

Thanks England for star soccer and for introducing the game to the rest of the world ..but allyuh have lots to learn . I appreciate the effort, suttle though it is, at bringing in foreign players, coaches and even owners , but the horse may have already  bolted.

Over the years they have demonstrated that they knew little about real talent ...not finding time for  Glen Hoddle and Chris Waddle yet rating up Gascoigne and Joe Cole as world beaters.

The country which thought itself above any world Cup competition arranged by " lesser countries " in the early versions of the WC may have, because of its own ego, denied itself the opportunity to put some english names in the history books . They have less chance now of achieving that.

I guess this might explain why they now write as they do ..still believing  their players are better than what the rest the word as to offer.

Sad ..real sad.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »
I just love to see these english reporters eat crow ...how to stop Messi ! Why arsenal will beat Barcelona ... Beckham and Giggs the best wingers in the world ... Rooney best young player in the world ..(he did not win it then)...Rooney best player in the world( he sure eh winning it now ) ..  They never stop.

Anyone remembers last year ? Wasn't Christiano the world's best when he was in England ? you eh hearing peep from them now that he chose Real Madrid over Manchester United. He gone from Hero to zero !

Good thing I learnt my lesson long time ...ever since they attempted to paint Maradona as a fake ..booing him over an entire exhibition game in England after '86 and after they had to relent an pay him his fee after tickets weren't selling fast enough without him.

England has been trying to portray themselves as a big sawatee in football for ages. Their WC victory in '66 remains their only title at all levels and in all competitions...and that was not without controversy.

I look again to next year when someone playing in the premier league in england will be the best in the world but unless they buy Messi it will be for me ..same ole ..same ole ting.

Thanks England for star soccer and for introducing the game to the rest of the world ..but allyuh have lots to learn . I appreciate the effort, suttle though it is, at bringing in foreign players, coaches and even owners , but the horse may have already  bolted.

Over the years they have demonstrated that they knew little about real talent ...not finding time for  Glen Hoddle and Chris Waddle yet rating up Gascoigne and Joe Cole as world beaters.

The country which thought itself above any world Cup competition arranged by " lesser countries " in the early versions of the WC may have, because of its own ego, denied itself the opportunity to put some english names in the history books . They have less chance now of achieving that.

I guess this might explain why they now write as they do ..still believing  their players are better than what the rest the word as to offer.

Sad ..real sad.

Nice story, but no basis in reality. England recognises that Messi is currently the best player in the world. The only "Rooney is the best" hype I've heard recently is on this message board.

There was no criticism of Arsenal in the English press today....only Messi superlatives.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2010, 03:17:08 PM »

Nice story, but no basis in reality. England recognises that Messi is currently the best player in the world. The only "Rooney is the best" hype I've heard recently is on this message board

There was no criticism of Arsenal in the English press today....only Messi superlatives.

Not true- Rooney's profile being raised to "best in the World" discussion is NOT limited or unique to this message board.

And I wouldn't discredit the impact that Messi's performance yesterday had on people's (in the UK) current perception of him...I think this is the first time that the English press really went crazy over Messi on that level, and the press has a big influence on what the general public think....

Jai being a bit dramatic -surprise surprise...but Rooney v Messi (before last night) was a way bigger debate than on this board...doh try that.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »

Sad ..real sad.

Honestly Jai John what do you expect from the British press? They selling their product, the more they sell it the more they stay in business. Its the same in Italy, France, Portugal and Spain.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »

Nice story, but no basis in reality. England recognises that Messi is currently the best player in the world. The only "Rooney is the best" hype I've heard recently is on this message board

Not true- Rooney's profile being raised to "best in the World" discussion is NOT limited or unique to this message board.

And I wouldn't discredit the impact that Messi's performance yesterday had on people's (in the UK) current perception of him...I think this is the first time that the English press really went crazy over Messi on that level, and the press has a big influence on what the general public think....

Jai being a bit dramatic -surprise surprise...but Rooney v Messi (before last night) was a way bigger debate than on this board...doh try that.

The debate died down at the same time as it did everywhere else...around the time this thread was started...ever since Messi started banging in 2 and 3 in every game.

Why everyone tries to ram home the point that the English media is biased towards English teams and players is beyond me. Obviously the English press give more coverage to the English Premier League. The only countries that give any coverage to foreign leagues are those without their own league.

This is the first year in six that there will not be an English team in the CL final. That recent success is because the Premiership is now the best league in the world. We have good reason to be arrogant.

La Liga can rightly claim to have two of the strongest teams in the world (including the world's best team)...but the gap between second and third place is ginormous. The league is not as strong as the Premiership. People like to talk about differences in style between England/Spain/Italy etc....how different brands of football suit different types of players... it is not a different brand of football. It is not more technical. It is just not as good.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:47:31 PM by Ryan »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »

The debate died down at the same time as it did everywhere else...around the time this thread was started...ever since Messi started banging in 2 and 3 in every game.

Why everyone tries to ram home the point that the English media is biased towards English teams and players is beyond me. Obviously the English press give more coverage to the English Premier League. The only countries that give any coverage to foreign leagues are those without their own league.

This is the first year in six that there will not be an English team in the CL final. That recent success is because the Premiership is now the best league in the world. We have good reason to be arrogant.

La Liga can rightly claim to have two of the strongest teams in the world (including the world's best team)...but the gap between second and third place is ginormous. The league is not as strong as the Premiership. People like to talk about differences in style between England/Spain/Italy etc....how different brands of football suit different types of players... it is not a different brand of football. It is not more technical. It is just not as good.

Ryan that argument went out the window once foreign players and managers entered the EPL. The EPL's top teams are very similar to the continent in style. Now Stoke, Aston Villa, Wolves etc that is another story  ;D Just look at ManU before Cantona and then ManU after/ Sir Alex learned a lot of lessons in that time period
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »

Yeh the debate "died down" but the ppl who was backin Rooney (except for 1 fella on this board) eh take back their words yet.
Until they say they were wrong then they deserve to and will get real talk!

Before Messi buss 4 on Arsenal, I didn't see any British media say that Messi was better.
Maybe there were some and (I'd like to see them) but it was only yesterday that they made noise about Messi.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
You know w talking about the English press but is the Argentina press saying about Messi,can anyone quote an article from there newspapers.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/likmxKGG-g0&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/likmxKGG-g0&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>
Translate please . These are his comments on the Arsenal game.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
You know w talking about the English press but is the Argentina press saying about Messi,can anyone quote an article from there newspapers.

Coops,
            I can't give you any news paper articles, but a lot of Argentinian still waiting on Messi to perform for the national team the same way he performs for Barcelona. They like him and know he is great but they fustrated when he plays for the national. Sound kind of familiar.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2010, 12:44:34 AM »

Yeh the debate "died down" but the ppl who was backin Rooney (except for 1 fella on this board) eh take back their words yet.

Before Messi buss 4 on Arsenal, I didn't see any British media say that Messi was better.
Maybe there were some and (I'd like to see them) but it was only yesterday that they made noise about Messi.

They weren't "wrong"...it is a legitimate debate, and Messi has tilted the scales heavily in his favour in the last few weeks. For all we know, things may change in a month or two, nothing stays the same in football for very long.

As I said earlier, UK press coverage is of our league, not the Spanish or Italian leagues. When Messi gets a hattrick in Spain, he will get some column inches in the british papers, but not the back page. Why? Because this is England, not Spain. If he does it in the Champions League against a British club, he gets the back and front pages.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »

They weren't "wrong"...it is a legitimate debate, and Messi has tilted the scales heavily in his favour in the last few weeks. For all we know, things may change in a month or two, nothing stays the same in football for very long.

As I said earlier, UK press coverage is of our league, not the Spanish or Italian leagues. When Messi gets a hattrick in Spain, he will get some column inches in the british papers, but not the back page. Why? Because this is England, not Spain. If he does it in the Champions League against a British club, he gets the back and front pages.

This is where u and the english press have a whole different view to the vast majority of the world: you actually think it's a legitimate debate. Based on pure stats, maybe. But anyone who has watched them both play over the past couple years without any bias can see that they are in 2 different classes.

I not taking anything away from Rooney. Boss player, and he's having a great season. But he cannot singlehandedly dismantle a side the way Messi can. He doesnt have Messi's vision. He doesnt have Messi's control. He doesnt create the same sense of anticipation of something incredible everytime he touches the ball. All respect to Rooney, but he cah shine Messi boots.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »
They weren't "wrong"...it is a legitimate debate

Yes they were wrong.
Messi is better than Rooney.
It's not even close.
And not because he score 4 vs Arsenal, but because of what he does every week.
All that Rooney has is a goal tally.
Messi has that, plus amazing skill, control that you never saw before in your life.

:rotfl:
The only people who share your view are either English or fans of English football/clubs.
Everybody else, not just the Spanish or Argentinians, knows who is the better player.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
After April is over no one will remember who messi is. Mark my word!

And Argentina going nowhere in South Africa they might as well pack lite, unless el principe is there.

Much adu about Messidonna the "catalan"

mom mom i want a inter replica for xmas with number 10 on it so i can represent the finest in the world this season.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:16:35 PM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »

Yes they were wrong.
It's not even close.
Messi has that, plus amazing skill, control that you never saw before in your life.

The only people who share your view are either English or fans of English football/clubs.
Everybody else, not just the Spanish or Argentinians, knows who is the better player.

For the record, my view is that Messi is better than Rooney and always has been. I dont even think he's the best in the Premiership, Drogba is better. My point was that it is a legitimate debate.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »

Yes they were wrong.
It's not even close.

For the record, my view is that Messi is better than Rooney and always has been. I dont even think he's the best in the Premiership, Drogba is better. My point was that it is a legitimate debate.

Nah, Ryan, ah hadda disagree wit yuh dey.  It was never debatable.  Yuh eh see even arsene9 and all say de man is de bess in de world and second place is not even close!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2010, 07:57:20 AM »
I know, is goal.com but still amusing.

Argentina Coach Diego Maradona Claims Barcelona's Lionel Messi Is Better Than Jesus

By Tim Sturtridge
Apr 8, 2010 4:15:00 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/60/south-america/2010/04/08/1868768/argentina-coach-diego-maradona-claims-barcelonas-lionel-messi-is-

After watching Lionel Messi’s four-goal performance for Barcelona against Arsenal, his international boss Diego Maradona has compared him with Jesus.

While the world salivated over Messi’s display against the Gunners in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, the highest praise of all has come from the most famous player to have every played for Barcelona.

“We’re all very happy for him and we also know how lucky we are that he is an Argentine. He is playing his football like Jesus at the moment.”

In an interview with the 'Perros de la Calle' program on Radio Metro, the current head coach of the Argentine national team spoke about a conversation he shared with Messi after the recent 1-0 friendly victory over Germany.

“I told him that my playing days have long been over. I told him that it’s up to him to do as much as he can with his career and then at the end we will see who's the best.”

The relationship between Maradona and Messi has long been big news in Argentina with plenty of people thinking that the 1986 World Cup winner is trying hard to ensure that Barcelona’s striker does not replace him in the hearts of his public. Maradona however spoke of a good relationship between the two.

“Leo is on the right path and is he looking forward to achieving more. We talked for two hours in a hotel in Barcelona after the win against Germany and we solved a lot of problems. I told him what happened to me when I started and how every match is different, each one presents it’s own challenges.”

Maradona also said that he has never been tempted to drop Messi from his national team, despite criticism of the pint-sized forward in Argentina.

“We have been told that Messi does not have the passion to play for Argentina but I have seen him at close quarters and I know I can rely on him.”

Ahead of the trip to South Africa, the Argentine head coach reminded listeners to his interview of the criticism the 1986 squad he was part of received before going to Mexico.

“I want to instill a higher belief in my players because I think there is more talent here than we had in 1986. I have great confidence in the boys and people can’t tell me anything different. If I have to take some risks then I will take those risks.”
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 13, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
Pele: Messi must score 1,000 goals first
Soccernet staff
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/770275/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

World Cup legend Pele claims that all talk of Lionel Messi being the greatest player in the world must stop until the Argentine scores his 1000th career goal.

Pele is regarded as the best striker to have played the game, but is tired of seeing comparisons with his career and told the Daily Mail that Messi must first be viewed as the best player from his own country, ahead of Diego Maradona.

"They are always trying to compare someone to Pele," he said. "I always joke with my Argentine friends that they must first choose who is the best player from Argentina.

"Then, when one of them scores a thousand goals, then we can start talking."

However, the three-time World Cup winner did lavish praise upon the current FIFA World Player of the Year.

"Messi did not win the World Player award [in 2007], but I remember that I said to him, 'you'll be the next'," he said. "It took a little longer, but he eventually won. He's a great player.

"He plays very well for Barcelona, but has failed to show his talent with the Argentina team. Maybe he can at the World Cup. Let's wait and see.''

Does this mean Romario in the running?  :devil:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »
Pele: Messi must score 1,000 goals first
Soccernet staff
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/770275/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

World Cup legend Pele claims that all talk of Lionel Messi being the greatest player in the world must stop until the Argentine scores his 1000th career goal.

Pele is regarded as the best striker to have played the game, but is tired of seeing comparisons with his career and told the Daily Mail that Messi must first be viewed as the best player from his own country, ahead of Diego Maradona.

"They are always trying to compare someone to Pele," he said. "I always joke with my Argentine friends that they must first choose who is the best player from Argentina.

"Then, when one of them scores a thousand goals, then we can start talking."

However, the three-time World Cup winner did lavish praise upon the current FIFA World Player of the Year.

"Messi did not win the World Player award [in 2007], but I remember that I said to him, 'you'll be the next'," he said. "It took a little longer, but he eventually won. He's a great player.

"He plays very well for Barcelona, but has failed to show his talent with the Argentina team. Maybe he can at the World Cup. Let's wait and see.''

Does this mean Romario in the running?  :devil:

same thing i now thinking. How much goals Pele scored?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2010, 04:27:56 PM »

In my opinion Barca scraped threw the CL last time and had alot of luck to win esp in the finals they will not win this time. LYON BEATING BARCA FOR SURE.

sHOTTA, you still have Rainbow Cable home by you ah wha, the one das does go directly into the tv?

What sh!t you talking?

A side that was a joy to watch by both the neutral and ardent fans, a side that play the best free flowing football we see in a while, a side that boast the world footballer of the year, a side that win 6 trophies was lucky?

Explain to me how Barca was lucky in the finals against ManU, when they had nearly 70% posession and ManU were literally chasing shadows for large portions of the game.

I agree Barca was lots of fun to watch today xD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:47:57 PM by sHOTTA12 »

1]; } ?>