April 30, 2024, 04:17:38 AM

Author Topic: We let Kenwyne Jones get away admits Alex McLeish  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We let Kenwyne Jones get away admits Alex McLeish
« on: March 19, 2010, 05:52:44 AM »
We let Kenwyne Jones get away admits Alex McLeish
By Colin Tattum (Birmingham Mail)

Birmingham City came close to signing Kenwyne Jones in January, Alex McLeish has admitted.

They received encouragement from Sunderland that £11 million would do it, but then the transfer collapsed.

Jones, who could be fit to face Blues tomorrow at the Stadium of Light after a hip injury, was seeking to match his whopping salary of around £70,000-a-week on Wearside, which Blues couldn’t justify.

McLeish said: “It was close. I knew Kenwyne from Rangers as well. We had him when he was a young boy. But we had work permit problems and he ended up at Southampton.

“But, yes we nearly had him here at Birmingham. In the end we balked a little bit overall cost, for a club such as us. Maybe it just wasn’t the right moment to do a deal like that.”

McLeish, though, still likes the powerful frontman.

“You get a lot of strikers in football who are great at assists and they do a lot of work for other players to score.

“When I think of players like that, I think of Bobby Zamora, Jay Bothroyd at Cardiff. They are not renowned goalscorers but they do a lot of the donkey work for other people.

“Big Kenwyne is a guy who strikes fear into defenders with his presence and will keep things alive for others to pounce.

“I’m sure Darren Bent will say Kenwyne has been a big help to him.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: We let Kenwyne Jones get away admits Alex McLeish
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
 :beermug:

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »
Unless a foreigner complements our players then he is still officially a shittong. Ent?
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »
Unless a foreigner complements our players then he is still officially a shittong. Ent?

Ah could shake yuh hand!  :beermug:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

That is not the issue I have with Kenwyne.  He is inconsistent, and doesn't really seem keen on maximizing his natural talent.  Plus, he hasn't really inpsired when wearing the national shirt.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

Certified shithong
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »
;)
Tell dem doctor, tell dem

on a similar note, ah notice zamora gettin rated by plenty managers, ah wonder if big mag go have a change of heart
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:28 AM »
Since is now a hip injury rather than a groin strain, I wondering if is the flip after scoring cause that  :-\
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 11:26:37 AM »
Since is now a hip injury rather than a groin strain, I wondering if is the flip after scoring cause that  :-\

Neva like d flip so if he stop it I eh go b  :(
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »

That is not the issue I have with Kenwyne.  He is inconsistent, and doesn't really seem keen on maximizing his natural talent.  Plus, he hasn't really inpsired when wearing the national shirt.

Alot of alyuh saying that. What alyuh mean by that? Because the man does be the same way for he club, just he have balls coming his way at his club. We have winger who cyah cross different types of ball, midfield who does cyah support the forwad pass into the forward, no set of run pass the forward from the midfield nothing when he with we national team. Which one of we forward light up since 2006 qualifiers? How many goals we score during that campaign to now.

The man does do he, just he can't do he when he eh getting to quality from the national side.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »
Alot of alyuh saying that. What alyuh mean by that? Because the man does be the same way for he club, just he have balls coming his way at his club. We have winger who cyah cross different types of ball, midfield who does cyah support the forwad pass into the forward, no set of run pass the forward from the midfield nothing when he with we national team. Which one of we forward light up since 2006 qualifiers? How many goals we score during that campaign to now.

The man does do he, just he can't do he when he eh getting to quality from the national side.

Wha make it worse is Sun'land is ah shit side and still they find opportunities to utilize his attributes far better than our NT ever does.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »

Wha make it worse is Sun'land is ah shit side and still they find opportunities to utilize his attributes far better than our NT ever does.

Sunderland is better than our current national team. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »

Scorpion,
             KJ has more in common with his club team-mates(ball-wise) than the national team players. He training day-in/day-in with his club. 5 days at most with the National team. 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
I said the same thing long time now, it don't take ah scientist tuh see that KJ does the scrubbing and bent does the moping up.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 05:36:08 PM »
I said the same thing long time now, it don't take ah scientist tuh see that KJ does the scrubbing and bent does the moping up.
But yuh cyah see what Scotty does do for Rodallega? Yuh have one eye close down?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
But yuh cyah see what Scotty does do for Rodallega?

Scotty scrubbin fuh Rodallega in de truest sense of de word.

Ent yuh does call a bench player a scrub?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »
But yuh cyah see what Scotty does do for Rodallega? Yuh have one eye close down?
scotty, who's he again? or..... yuh mean dat slow coach who allyuh say woulda hot up the prem..... yeh ah get yuh now......BTW....... how much goals he scored for wigan again? ah think jones have eight for the season ent? so ah believe scotty must be on 6 or 7 by now right?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 08:47:05 PM »
scotty, who's he again? or..... yuh mean dat slow coach who allyuh say woulda hot up the prem..... yeh ah get yuh now......BTW....... how much goals he scored for wigan again? ah think jones have eight for the season ent? so ah believe scotty must be on 6 or 7 by now right?
Next season is Scotty own, Martinez en get he side how he want it yet and Scotty gna be his go to man next season cuz Rodallega bussin it for a bigger team. Watch this space....

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:57 PM »
Next season is Scotty own, Martinez en get he side how he want it yet and Scotty gna be his go to man next season cuz Rodallega bussin it for a bigger team. Watch this space....
Yuh may be right about that prophesy, BC by the way things looking, wigan might be in the championship next season, and in that case rodalliaga will be moving on to ah better team and scotty would be the go to guy for wigan, but in the CCC.

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 06:43:30 AM »
i fall off of fully following kj he's just to much of a disappointment 4 me anyway i does feel proud to see a trini doing the thing in epl so keep doing what u does do best boy .........
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 07:28:14 AM »

So all along it was just poor decision making by the coach to keep him playing knowing full well we eh have the men to feed him the right passes......now I sure I cuss and steups plenty times when he get picked but say wha I'm a girl and therefore knows nothing bout football..... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »
Wigan, in general, ain't scoring goals. No matter who they have playing striker. Martinez trying all kinda mix. Their top scorer only have 8 and half those goals directly involve Scotty. He has the same role that you're ascribing to Kenwyne. Holding up the ball, drawing defenders, creating space for others, creating chances for teammates. If you actually saw their games, you'd see that Scotty is playing great. He just shitting dong himself when he in front of goal. He's on the bench for now because Martinez still trying to find a team that will actually put the damn ball in the net.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:58:17 AM by Gazette Paper »

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Sunderland is paying 70k/wk wages to anybody.

1]; } ?>