April 19, 2024, 04:22:25 AM

Author Topic: Six of the Best Footballing Brawls - Toros Neza vs Jamaica  (Read 7316 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Six of the Best Footballing Brawls - Toros Neza vs Jamaica
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:49 AM »
The Joy of Six: Footballing brawls

Posted by Scott Murray Friday 19 March 2010 10.36 GMT
guardian.co.uk

This clip is good kicks, literrally and figuratively.

5. Toros Neza 0-1 Jamaica, friendly (yes), 1997
Jamaica had reached the final pool in the north and central American qualification tournament for the 1998 World Cup, and harbored real hopes of reaching the finals for the first time in the country's history. Three teams from a six-strong group would make it to France: with Mexico and the United States hot favourites to grab two of the places, and Canada a complete waste of space, the final spot was expected to be a three-way contest between Jamaica, Costa Rica and El Salvador.

Jamaica had started the group solidly, holding the USA to a 0-0 draw at home, so with a testing fixture in Mexico City coming up, their Brazilian coach Rene Simoes decided to do the professional thing and spend plenty of time acclimatizing in the Mexican altitude. Sadly that would be just about the only professional decision made on the trip.

Simoes arranged a game with local team Toros Neza. Sadly it descended into light farce. On 19 minutes, Toros Neza's German Arangio was scythed down by an errant Jamaican challenge – and responded by getting up and crumping his fist into his aggressor's face. The act provoked a full-scale melee between the two teams involving haymakers and highkicks which continued for five minutes – at which point several of the Jamaican team left the field and came back tooled up. With their players waving bricks, broken bottles and, preposterously, a chair, the referee had no option but to call the game off there and then.

"That is not normal behaviour," one Neza player remarked after the match. "It isn't possible that they react like this in a friendly." Simoes argued that his team simply lacked international experience – though he was hardly one to talk; having forgotten to inform the Mexican FA that his squad were setting up camp pre-qualifier, the Jamaican FA were hit with a fine by Fifa. Whether the acclimatisation period was worth all the bother is a moot point: Jamaica were shellacked 6-0 by Mexico. Jamaica would make the finals, though, beating future hosts Japan 2-1 in a glorious valedictory game in Lyon.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3FXpXYh-G8M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3FXpXYh-G8M</a>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:42:56 PM by Tallman »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Six of the Best Footballing Brawls - Toros Neza vs Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:38 PM »
And everybody was Kung Fu Fighting :challenge: :afro:

I remember this back then and looking back at this is real kicks some real Jet Li styles.....yuh know how long I ain see a man draw fuh ah big stone :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 02:47:10 PM »
no behaviour...man swing back wit they big stone yes ... :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:50:23 PM by judge101 »
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »
Any time you playin' against a j'aican team, this kinda behaviour is to be expected.  Ah bet yuh they eh goin in Mexico and carry on so again!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: i tired laugh seeing this.  Man with tugs in he hand come out of the stands to lash ah man @ 0:47 lol

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
mexico gave us 6 nil the following sunday .

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
Iz funny how allyuh only saw jamaica as having bad or no behavior! but tell me this, did the mexicans have good behavior by punching the dude in his face? where is their responsibility in all this?

which one ah allyuh would let ah stinkin mexican cuff allyuh down and take it in the name of sportsmanship and good behavior? ah bet not one!!

i glad , my only regret iz that dem yardies didn't fack dem up more!! dem forkin stinkin spanish byoi too forkin nasty and racist wid they self!

this is what i doh like about trini's, allyuh does let allyuh bias cloud yuh judgement! i not seeing whitley, stern, nakid, elcock, cyd gray, keon daniel, attulla guerra, khaleem hyland and cornell, letting anyone punch dem smack in the face and get off scotch free, i predict ah similar brawl if i'm not mistaken!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
Any time you playin' against a j'aican team, this kinda behaviour is to be expected.  Ah bet yuh they eh goin in Mexico and carry on so again!
Ah bet yuh dem mexican wouldn't try that shyte on another caribbean team either! the shyte goes both ways buddy. if yuh cyar take hard tackle then go play tennis!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »
Ah bet yuh dem mexican wouldn't try that shyte on another caribbean team either! the shyte goes both ways buddy. if yuh cyar take hard tackle then go play tennis!

My comment was based on the fact that the game was played in Mexico, Bredda.  Mexico is not the same kinda place to visit (even peacefully) as it was back when this game was played. It have nutting to do with any other team from the Caribbean.  Nor does the play of any other team from the Caribbean seem to warrant the kinds of reactions that Jamaica does so what you tryin' to say is pretty irrelevant to my point.  I remember watching this game how many years ago and from the best of my memory, the tackling on the part of the Jamaicans was more than just "hard".  I wasn't surprised at their tackling or at the end result because I had seen it enough at that point in my life to come to expect it.   

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »

My comment was based on the fact that the game was played in Mexico, Bredda.  Mexico is not the same kinda place to visit (even peacefully) as it was back when this game was played. It have nutting to do with any other team from the Caribbean.  Nor does the play of any other team from the Caribbean seem to warrant the kinds of reactions that Jamaica does so what you tryin' to say is pretty irrelevant to my point.  I remember watching this game how many years ago and from the best of my memory, the tackling on the part of the Jamaicans was more than just "hard".  I wasn't surprised at their tackling or at the end result because I had seen it enough at that point in my life to come to expect it.   
If i remember correctly, it wasn't ah jamaican who broke blanco's leg! jamaica does play just like the ppl they learn the game from!

the english is some of the roughest footballers in the world, then the italians coming in ah close 2nd. jamaica rough yes , but i've seen rougher.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »

If i remember correctly, it wasn't ah jamaican who broke blanco's leg! jamaica does play just like the ppl they learn the game from!

the english is some of the roughest footballers in the world, then the italians coming in ah close 2nd. jamaica rough yes , but i've seen rougher.

Jamaicans have ah extra roughness in dey game dred. Ah play against dem nuff times to know how different their game is from ours and from the Mexican game.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 12:35:17 AM »

Once again, Bredda, you are making a point that is irrelevant to what I am saying.  I could say "..and if I remember correctly, it wasn't a Mexican that mash up Dwight York, either.." and we could go on and on but I not debating with you as to who is the roughest and second-roughest footballers in the world.  All I am saying is that, (1) knowing Jamaicans the way I do, I was not surprised to see the events that unfolded in this game, nor would I be surprised to see it happen anywhere else involving a Jamaican team and (2) the way things are in Mexico now, I would not expect things to end as "peacefully" as they did if the circumstances were the same.....but I wouldn't expect them yardies to carry on the way they did either.  They and all know what time it is in Mexico  Them Jamaicans may have learned from the Brits, and I eh doubting their rough, physical style, but I eh never see or heard of no senior national team Englishman do some of the things seen in this video clip or described in the accompanying narrative.       
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:05:38 AM by Mango Chow! »

AirMan

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:11:46 AM »
 :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dms_VJL9GRU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dms_VJL9GRU</a>

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
1. Ah like the background music.  Its so apt..... :rotfl:

2. The man that run in and hit the Jamaican wasn't even the one that was fouled.  Visit him with pure big stone yes..... :rotfl: :rotfl:

3. Airman ah see yuh know at least one Rudder song...... :rotfl: :rotfl:  (ah sorry Airman but ah just couldn't help mihself..... ;D)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
2. The man that run in and hit the Jamaican wasn't even the one that was fouled.  Visit him with pure big stone yes..... :rotfl: :rotfl:

How de chune go again?

I remember when Danny dem tek me snow cone
An mek him likkle bredda dem kick up Jerome
I remember when we visit dem wid pure big stone

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 07:48:10 AM »

How de chune go again?

I remember when Danny dem tek me snow cone
An mek him likkle bredda dem kick up Jerome
I remember when we visit dem wid pure big stone

That's the line in that very song I was thinking of when ah make mih post...... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »
 That year Chile was to visit Jamaica and after the toros neza incident they change their mind ,
but guys there was a Brawl after that in san salvador ; the salvadoreans break into the hotel
and was going on with things , the jamaicans had to defend themselves . ;D

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »

Iz funny how allyuh only saw jamaica as having bad or no behavior! but tell me this, did the mexicans have good behavior by punching the dude in his face? where is their responsibility in all this?

which one ah allyuh would let ah stinkin mexican cuff allyuh down and take it in the name of sportsmanship and good behavior? ah bet not one!!

i glad , my only regret iz that dem yardies didn't fack dem up more!! dem forkin stinkin spanish byoi too forkin nasty and racist wid they self!

this is what i doh like about trini's, allyuh does let allyuh bias cloud yuh judgement! i not seeing whitley, stern, nakid, elcock, cyd gray, keon daniel, attulla guerra, khaleem hyland and cornell, letting anyone punch dem smack in the face and get off scotch free, i predict ah similar brawl if i'm not mistaken!

Thank you! If ah man cuff me in my face, that is grounds for retaliation! I know it takes a bigger man to walk away, but the first instinct is always to retaliate and in the heat of the moment that can certainly happen.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
The tackle was outrageous and the victim was right to react. The first push was normal, the second player just escalated things and tried to kick the man on the ground. The Jamaicans look like they were defending their player. Most likely that wasn't the first mad tackle though.

But wait .... is a big stone a man had dey ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:03:32 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
lol...even de staff dem get in on the action....hahahahahah

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »
Add Jabloteh v River Plate PR to that list                :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
1. Ah like the background music.  Its so apt..... :rotfl:

3. Airman ah see yuh know at least one Rudder song...... :rotfl: :rotfl:  (ah sorry Airman but ah just couldn't help mihself..... ;D)

He go have 2 live dat 4 d rest ah he life on this MB.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
:D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dms_VJL9GRU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dms_VJL9GRU</a>

lol... "The Union man..."  ;)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »
I feel Jabloteh make it into this list now, yes...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>