March 28, 2024, 09:13:40 AM

Author Topic: "Hall of Justice","Tobago Airport" & "Wrightson Road" Possibly Renamed Soon !  (Read 34577 times)

AirMan

Senate to discuss naming Hall of Justice after Noor
Gail Alexander
Published: 23 Mar 2010

Gail Merhair
Gail Alexander
The Senate today debates an Independent motion seeking in part to have the Hall of Justice in Port-of-Spain renamed the Noor Hassanali Hall of Justice. :beermug: The motion, filed by Independent Senator Gail Merhair, also seeks to have the Crown Point International Airport renamed the Arthur NR Robinson International Airport and to have Wrightson Road renamed the George Chambers Avenue:beermug:

Also sought is the renaming of the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway as the Ellis Clarke Highway. Hassanali, now deceased, served as President as did Clarke and Robinson in previous years. Chambers served as Prime Minister between 1981 to 1986. Merhair’s motion calls for the renaming of the various structures and roadways to take place as a “symbolic gesture of national gratefulness” (sic) for the many years of distinguished service by the former Heads of State. Read the rest http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2010/03/23/senate-discuss-naming-hall-justice-after-noor

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xDOZOJdhedA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xDOZOJdhedA</a>
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:41:26 AM by AirMan »

AirMan

Videos soon to come on this ..

AirMan

..and why we have a Highway in T&T named after Churchill-Roosevelt ?  :rotfl:...

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
..and why we have a Highway in T&T named after Churchill-Roosevelt ?  :rotfl:...

I not so sure but I think that the yanks(Roosevelt) built it for us in the 40's. And we were a Brit colony(Churchill)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I find they should leave wrightson rd alone, it iconic---the rest, no problem

who was wrightson btw?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:11:07 PM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Patrick Manning Crescent somewhere in the Beetham, St Anns, Sea Lots or Sando East. OR who knows he going for the Airport. Patrick Manning Airport

Basdeo Panday Blvd somewhere in Caroni or Chaguanas or Curepe

How dey neck they could change a major road to an avenue? Is that possible?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:16:02 PM by Prematie Bheem »

AirMan

Shame on allyuh older heads.. :D...Imagine people quick to call Manning and Panday..like dem is the only two that help shape T&T society to what it is today..so I guess there is nothing to give our FUTURE leaders and historians because we want everything to stay the same...GOD forbid dem rename a library to LLyod Best some of allyuh will cry because allyuh so used to the name that it was before..steupse...As a country grow names will change...so it go

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

Walsh Wrightson (an Englishman), Director of Public Works (1895-1907). Key figure in the Water Riots of 1903.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

Walsh Wrightson (an Englishman), Director of Public Works (1895-1907). Key figure in the Water Riots of 1903.

Or hor!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I really don't care. I passed that stage. but If dey start renaming. The airport should be Basday Panday Airport. he built it. And Robinson should have something name after him. hewent thru his ordeal with Abu.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:54:02 PM by Deeks »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

Or hor!!
See we just learned some history .

AirMan

who was wrightson btw?

Or hor!!
See we just learned some history .

and to think some people in society will be fighting to keep the name and dem dont know who is Wrightson ! Hmmph !  :devil:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

I learned about this from Michael Anthony's book "The Making of Port of Spain", wonder why it is not a routine part of the curriculum, at least when I was in primary and secondary school...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

AirMan

who was wrightson btw?

I learned about this from Michael Anthony's book "The Making of Port of Spain", wonder why it is not a routine part of the curriculum, at least when I was in primary and secondary school...

I can assure you more than half of Trinbago doh know who is Wrightson that "Wrightson Road" was named after..

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

I can assure you more than half of Trinbago doh know who is Wrightson that "Wrightson Road" was named after..

mmmm, no ah tink is jus me

but since we on de topic,ah want ah one line history of Frederick, Duke & Chacon..oh and Park...and trow in Henry too

I eh really know too much ah streets in sando except High St....so allyuh sout boy hadda fen for yuh self ..who was Mr. High

and who Green Corner and de Croisee name after?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

So because we have to change the names because of an uneducated public ,so we have to change names every3 generations lol ,20 years from now lara would be like Gary Sobers .

AirMan

who was wrightson btw?

So because we have to change the names because of an uneducated public ,so we have to change names every3 generations lol ,20 years from now lara would be like Gary Sobers .

where did you get all that from ??..Is that what you wanted to say ?.this is your understanding from a simple fact that most people dont know who is Wrightson in "Wrightson Road" ?...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:44:12 PM by AirMan »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

where did you get all that from ??..Is that what you wanted to say ?.this is your understanding from a simple fact that most people dont know who is Wrightson in "Wrightson Road" ?...
kinda ....but my point is Trinis dont know a lot of things including who Wrightson is .

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

but since we on de topic,ah want ah one line history of Frederick, Duke & Chacon..oh and Park...and trow in Henry too

I eh really know too much ah streets in sando except High St....so allyuh sout boy hadda fen for yuh self ..who was Mr. High

Chacon street and Chanonia flower named after Chacon, the last Spanish governor of Trinidad. He the one who started the civil works in POS, like fiiling Indepedence square with earth from Laventille(la Ventanilla(the little window of POS)). Independence sq was all sea in them times.

Croissee, is french for a crossroads or junction. Saddle rd and EMR form a cross/junction. The Spanish allowed a lot of french people for the french islands into TT, mainly because they were Catholic. That's where TT have places, people,fruits with french names.

Duke, Henry, Frederick, Park, Woodbrook, Queen's Park,(Grand Savannah) QRC all English.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

Chacon street and Chanonia flower named after Chacon, the last Spanish governor of Trinidad. He the one who started the civil works in POS, like fiiling Indepedence square with earth from Laventille(la Ventanilla(the little window of POS)). Independence sq was all sea in them times.

Croissee, is french for a crossroads or junction. Saddle rd and EMR form a cross/junction. The Spanish allowed a lot of french people for the french islands into TT, mainly because they were Catholic. That's where TT have places, people,fruits with french names.

Duke, Henry, Frederick, Park, Woodbrook, Queen's Park,(Grand Savannah) QRC all English.
all that have to change , new time buddy we should change the Croissee to Crocro.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The English ones may change, but the Amerindian, Spanish, East Indian and french names will not be changed.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Man Trinidad and Tobago was so utterly perfect eh best country in the World,these new generations just generally  F-ing it up beyond recognition  .So sad but I think Trini finished, done,gonetrue ,kaputs . I knew it thats why I left in 92,strange to see it actually happen.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

Or hor!!

What we do witut d TMAN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

Kelvin "Duke" Pope, a Trinidadian (1930-2009). Won Calypso Monarch 4 years in a row. Once had a song "De whole thing change up." :devil:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:14:12 AM by Conquering Lion »
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

heard this book real real good.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Look ah learn more about my country on a predominantly football forum than all mih years in school!!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Look ah learn more about my country on a predominantly football forum than all mih years in school!!!....

COSIGNNNNN and I d History up 2 A Levels but then again JW did teach meh.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

wot he was like as a teacher?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

wot he was like as a teacher?

Well imagine takin notes from a man who stutterin/tie tougue/and talkin fast. He was cantankerous 2 d max. When u did an essay and u write nonesense he would write all kind ah colour comments. For eg u must have been in Guyana when I taught this.

D key 2 passin WI History at d A level was essay writing so I asked him 2 mark essays 4 me and he did and that is d only reason I passed A Level history. I told him I was givin him some readin material on his flights. He was not around much because of FIFA business but at A Level u do d bulk of d wuk s I did nt mind he was not arund because his class use 2 strt 730

AirMan

Videos soon to come on this ..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xDOZOJdhedA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xDOZOJdhedA</a>

1]; } ?>