April 26, 2024, 04:40:19 PM

Author Topic: "Hall of Justice","Tobago Airport" & "Wrightson Road" Possibly Renamed Soon !  (Read 34920 times)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mervyn M. Dymally
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Mervyn Malcolm Dymally)

This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (January 2008)
Mervyn M. Dymally

Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from California's 31st district
In office
January 3, 1981 – January 3, 1993
Preceded by   Charles H. Wilson
Succeeded by   Matthew G. Martinez
Born   May 12, 1926 (age 83)
Cedros, Trinidad and Tobago
Political party   Democratic
Mervyn Malcolm Dymally (born May 12, 1926 in Cedros, Trinidad and Tobago) is a California Democratic politician of mixed Indian and Afro-Trinidadian heritage. He served in the California State Assembly (1963-1966) and the California State Senate (1967-1975), as the 41st Lieutenant Governor of California (1975-1979), and in the U.S. House of Representatives (1981-1993). After a 10-year retirement, he returned to politics to serve in the California State Assembly (2002-2008).
Dymally was the first Trinidadian to serve as Lieutenant Governor of California. He also served as the first Trinidadian in the California State Senate prior to his time as lieutenant governor. As a member of the House of Representatives, he was one of the first persons of African and Indian origin to serve in the U.S. Congress. Along with George L. Brown of Colorado, who was also elected a lieutenant governor in 1974, Dymally was one of the two first blacks elected to any statewide office in any state since Reconstruction (Oscar Dunn of Louisiana was the first black elected lieutenant governor).[1]
[edit]Career

Dymally received his secondary education at Naparima College, San Fernando, Trinidad, his undergraduate education at Lincoln University, Jefferson City, Missouri and Los Angeles State College, his Master's degree from California State University, Sacramento, and his doctorate from United States International University (now Alliant International University), San Diego.
In the tightly contested race for Lt. Governor in 1978, Dymally's bid for re-election was derailed when Michael Franchetti, an aid to State Senator George Deukmejian, floated a false rumor that Dymally was about to be indicted. The story, coming days before the election, harmed the Dymally campaign, and Dymally lost to Republican Mike Curb. Franchetti later said that the source of the rumor was a Los Angeles Times reporter, who called the Justice Department trying to confirm its authenticity. Franchetti could not substantiate the rumor but included it in a report. The report was then passed to Dymally's opponent and later to a television reporter. Then-Atty. Gen. Younger filed a letter of reprimand in Franchetti's personnel records, accusing him of a breach of responsibility.[2]
Dymally came out of retirement and returned to the California State Assembly in 2002 when Assemblyman Carl Washington was term limited. He served for six years and then tried to return to the State Senate in 2008. However, he was defeated in the Democratic primary for State Senate election by Rod Wright.
Dymally is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Franchetti shoulda get he asscut more than that
A letter of reprimand ::)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

House of Mano Benjamin-

The crime that shocked a nation....

The house of Mano Benjamin in Chatham

ears ago, for those who are too young to remember, a man named Mano Benjamin—a giant of an Afro-Trini with the demeanour of a hyena—established Biche’s notoriety. Mano used its remoteness to imprison two young sisters whom he mutilated in a most savage manner. He gouged out one’s eyes and subjected the other to sexual atrocities that shocked the nation. When, in the 1960s, the trial judge jailed Mano for 20 years, he (the judge) dubbed the giant the “Beast of Biche”.- Raffique Shah

One of the victims is still alive...she was blinded by Mano gouging out her eyes . Mano slit her sister's vagina and then sewed it back up. He survied his 20 year jail sentence which ran from 1960-80. Mano died in this house in 1998. He was dead for five days before his decomposing corpse was found.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Nuns and Patients Chacachacare Leprosarium circa 1930....note the disfiguring effects of leprosy

Built and commissioned in 1922-4, it operated as the 'Caribbean Molokai' until 1984. I know many former patients and staff personally. The tireless and pious devotion of the Dominican Sisters who tended the patients along with a small government staff is one of the great and oft told stories of our history

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Icacos fishermen 1920's

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

A run away slave house in the north coast.... (obviously upgraded)

All yuh will never guess which beach it is and which place this photo was shot from  :beermug:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:27:27 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maracas Bay, taken from somewhere up in de bush.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

House of Mano Benjamin-

The crime that shocked a nation....

The house of Mano Benjamin in Chatham

ears ago, for those who are too young to remember, a man named Mano Benjamin—a giant of an Afro-Trini with the demeanour of a hyena—established Biche’s notoriety. Mano used its remoteness to imprison two young sisters whom he mutilated in a most savage manner. He gouged out one’s eyes and subjected the other to sexual atrocities that shocked the nation. When, in the 1960s, the trial judge jailed Mano for 20 years, he (the judge) dubbed the giant the “Beast of Biche”.- Raffique Shah

One of the victims is still alive...she was blinded by Mano gouging out her eyes . Mano slit her sister's vagina and then sewed it back up. He survied his 20 year jail sentence which ran from 1960-80. Mano died in this house in 1998. He was dead for five days before his decomposing corpse was found.
Wow I think hes the first black monster predator in the Americas then and one of the first of any race Ed Gain beat him out .

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maracas Bay, taken from somewhere up in de bush.
\
in alone?
look like hoverin over de bush de way de bay lookin far away

had no idea mano benjamin dead as 'recently' as the 90's
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daft Trini how yuh reach up there to take the pic of Maracas?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daft Trini how yuh reach up there to take the pic of Maracas?

Is wah he was doin up dey  ;D

All yuh remember a movie called Sankofa?  The trini accent in that was interesting, sounded a bit more of my grandparents day, I would love to hear some recordings of how we spoke as we transitioned from Spanish to French to English w/our African, Amerindian, Indian, and other mixes all intertwined...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BICHE

By Michael Anthony
Biche is surprising. This tiny village of Charuma Ward in County Nariva, a village which remained as if lost in the forest since its first settlement around 1874, is now the most vibrant and flourishing village on the Cunapo-Rio Claro Road.

The vague date “around 1874” was the date when the first couple settled in Biche – a hunter and his teen-aged wife. Her name was Maria Gomez, or something very like it. At Rio Claro, some time in 1980, the writer was approached and told: “There’s an old woman at Biche, who I think you’d want to see. On your way back to Port-of-Spain pass through Biche. You’d want to see her. She’s 118 years old.”

No attention was paid to the age given for of course it could not be. Nevertheless one passed through Biche. At Biche, in an elegant little house, there she was, the old woman lying on a bed. She looked very ill but she was very lucid. She said, “Of course I am 118 years old.”

The next comment was, “Since you have no birth certificate, can you tell me something to make me  know you are 118 years old?”
 She rambled on but then she said she could not think of anything.
 “Who was the Governor at the time?”
 “Don’t know. I wasn’t interested in those people.”
 Then after some silence she said, ”One thing I remember. When I was about 18 me and me husband went to Arima to see me parents. There was a lot of noise, like the knocking of old iron. I asked what was that, and they told me the government was building a railway.”

That was enough. The Trinidad Government Railway to Arima, was established in 1876. If what she said was true she went home to Arima when she was 14! In that case she would have been 118 in 1980.

As suggested by the name “Biche,”  a Patois term for wild beasts such as deer or lappe, it was an area for hunters. In that period hunters wandered to what would be considered today extremely far, but even so, to walk from Arima to Biche would have been unrealistic. One would not know what route the hunters took, nor from where they came, but it would seem the best way to get to Biche in those days was by using  the Nariva River at the Cocal and getting across the northern Nariva Swamp.

Today, Biche lies by road on what was certainly one of the hunters’ tracks – at least from Sangre Grande. By the turn of the century it was the only recognized village in the “wilderness,” But in a government big road-making programme of 1928-1929 the Cunapo-Biche Road was extended to Rio Claro, bringing the light of day to tiny settlements like Cushe and Charuma.

However, even as late as 1950 Biche was a straggling little roadside village, with the never-failing Chinese shop, and a few dwelling houses. Then it was almost unknown to the rest of Trinidad but by the next decade it shot into prominence by the most unlikely means – a horror story. The villain of that story was Mano Benjamin, who carried out a crime that shook the nation by its ghastliness and cruelty. Mano, who earned the title “the Beast of Biche”, spent several years in prison for his crime. He died in 1998.

Biche has recovered, and has grown enormously between then and now, and is quaint and prosperous-looking. Strange prosperity, because, looking around, one confesses there is no visible sign of where the good times have come from. Agriculture?  Maybe. What one can see is that this straggling village of yesterday is now a vibrant, even picturesque, little place, an “oasis” on the Cunapo-Rio Claro Road. It became prominent enough to have a modern Junior Secondary School by the turn  of this century – the 21st – but  the school has been condemned and is locked in controversy.

There are attractive shops for garment as well as groceries, a few well laid out streets, and a lot of people. The population in 1950 was around 400. Now in 2007 it’s population is around 4,000.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Gosh look how allyuh have me finding map of Trinidad...steupse!!
Cunapo-Rio Claro ??? I really have to stop this St James/West/Savannah/Diego Martin/Maracas/Malls/LaLune/Point Fortin liming when ever I go home and get with the flipping program of knowing meh damn country :-\

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
daft, this is good stuff... :beermug:

truetrini

Nuns and Patients Chacachacare Leprosarium circa 1930....note the disfiguring effects of leprosy

Built and commissioned in 1922-4, it operated as the 'Caribbean Molokai' until 1984. I know many former patients and staff personally. The tireless and pious devotion of the Dominican Sisters who tended the patients along with a small government staff is one of the great and oft told stories of our history

What is also an untold story of that place is the amount of abortions those nuns had for the priests down there.  I read a book called behind the Convent walls by a Mrs. Cruikshank written long ago telling that tale!

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

A run away slave house in the north coast.... (obviously upgraded)

All yuh will never guess which beach it is and which place this photo was shot from  :beermug:

Maracas from El Tuchuche. The top of El Tuchuche is visible from the Maracas and very cleary from the west end of Las Cuevas.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
swima, where is the entry point for that..or are there a few??

I have a pardner that does run one of them tourist eco-tour ting out of blanchicheuse, buh he never carry we dat high
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com

What is also an untold story of that place is the amount of abortions those nuns had for the priests down there.  I read a book called behind the Convent walls by a Mrs. Cruikshank written long ago telling that tale!

I also heard that from one of my uncles.  He spoke about the those from Mt St Benedict between the priests at the Abbey and the Carmelite nuns who are/were stationed up on the mount at that time. Not sure if they up there still nuh.

Anyway, at that time I thought my uncle was talking he shit when drunk, but as the saying goes, a drunk man tell no tale. :-\
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:57:25 PM by Prematie Bheem »

truetrini

My apologies the name of the book is Under the Convent Veil!

My mother told mne that the Church got as many as they could and burned them.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
swima, where is the entry point for that..or are there a few??

I have a pardner that does run one of them tourist eco-tour ting out of blanchicheuse, buh he never carry we dat high

The treck up to El Tucuche is from Maracas Valley I believe. That side is the gentler incline.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
At first ah was like ahhhh TC never ceases to take an opportunity at hitting up dem christians... my apologies... I did some digging and the story is true... apparently there was a nunnery in cocorite that catered to the lepers before the chacachacare post was developed, apparently there were a lot of rapes, "miscarriages" and adultery happening in that spot.... since it was cocorite and cocorite was not closed off from the rest of the nation... a proposal by the clergy coupled with government fear of the disease resulted in a relocation.... the institution was moved to the island... a few years later...

I will dig for some pics of the lepers society in Cocorite...

truetrini

At first ah was like ahhhh TC never ceases to take an opportunity at hitting up dem christians... my apologies... I did some digging and the story is true... apparently there was a nunnery in cocorite that catered to the lepers before the chacachacare post was developed, apparently there were a lot of rapes, "miscarriages" and adultery happening in that spot.... since it was cocorite and cocorite was not closed off from the rest of the nation... a proposal by the clergy coupled with government fear of the disease resulted in a relocation.... the institution was moved to the island... a few years later...

Yep quite correct.  The rapes, sex, miscarriages abortions happened in Chac too!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Yep quite correct.  The rapes, sex, miscarriages abortions happened in Chac too!
Wham yuh doh take ah day off or what?? :shameonyou: curb yuh enthusiasm nah man, and don't fack up the nice thread we have going here.

take that religious bashing on yuh "more christain love" thread and lowe this thread nah man. pretty please.

allyuh, doh let him draw allyuh in tuh mash up the thread wid he priest talk please! CANA that goes for you too. so doh encourage him.  ;D
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

It doh matter that people say the Doc pay de judges and dem but she sweet too bad  :beermug:

Janelle migrated to the U.S.A. with her family during her years with Bishop Anstey High School, where she went on to obtain an Applied Associates Degree in Science at the Fashion Institute of Technology. She returned to T & T in the 70's and went on to win the Miss Republic of T&T title and in the same year became the first black woman to win the Miss Universe Crown. One year after, she opened her own Fashion Boutique, determined to be a successful business woman. Janelle has had to take up the mantle of her first husband's business and today runs a successful boat building business, the first of its kind to be run by a woman - Bowen Marine is well known in the Caribbean and the US for its boats. "Penny" as she is fondly called, was awarded the Trinity Cross in 1977.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

It doh matter that people say the Doc pay de judges and dem but she sweet too bad  :beermug:

Janelle migrated to the U.S.A. with her family during her years with Bishop Anstey High School, where she went on to obtain an Applied Associates Degree in Science at the Fashion Institute of Technology. She returned to T & T in the 70's and went on to win the Miss Republic of T&T title and in the same year became the first black woman to win the Miss Universe Crown. One year after, she opened her own Fashion Boutique, determined to be a successful business woman. Janelle has had to take up the mantle of her first husband's business and today runs a successful boat building business, the first of its kind to be run by a woman - Bowen Marine is well known in the Caribbean and the US for its boats. "Penny" as she is fondly called, was awarded the Trinity Cross in 1977.
Please don't tell me she slept with trinity cross?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

She wasn't so black nah bro. i know for ah fact that she had white relatives. i used to run with ah white dude name sean who lived on oxford st right opposite the harp/ chafford in the same house penny grew up in, he was blood cousins with penny and i don't think sean had ah drop of black blood in him.

hey daft trini, could you pull up a picture of the late brian bowen. thanx.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:21:34 AM by just cool »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
She wasn't so black nah bro. i know for ah fact that she had white relatives. i used to run with ah white dude name sean who lived on oxford st right opposite the harp/ chafford in the same house penny grew up in, he was blood cousins with penny and i don't think sean had ah drop of black blood in him.

If Obama black then Penny black enough to wear the label.  Even though she never marri'd "black" ah still eh go vex with she.

btw... is Sabga and dem own Bowen Marine these days.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:07:47 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

If Obama black then Penny black enough to wear the label.  Even though she never marri'd "black" ah still eh go vex with she.

btw... is Sabga and dem own Bowen Marine these days.
Nah horse, that's just ah little jest @ penny's expense, i just messing around. even though she had white in her, i still consider her black.

BTW, she did marry black, brian bowen was ah light skinned black dude, who ironically kinda favored obama IMO.

truetrini

Wham yuh doh take ah day off or what?? :shameonyou: curb yuh enthusiasm nah man, and don't fack up the nice thread we have going here.

take that religious bashing on yuh "more christain love" thread and lowe this thread nah man. pretty please.

allyuh, doh let him draw allyuh in tuh mash up the thread wid he priest talk please! CANA that goes for you too. so doh encourage him.  ;D

BVoss stop talking shit...is ah histpry lesson and I contributed legitimately.  The man post a pic and I made a comment, cuz you is ah horn chile........

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

BVoss stop talking shit...is ah histpry lesson and I contributed legitimately.  The man post a pic and I made a comment, cuz you is ah horn chile........
Hogwash!! and yuh know it!  BTW thanx for the lession , but put it on the christian love thread. and leave this thread be nah boss.  no disrespect.                          positive.

1]; } ?>