March 28, 2024, 12:32:51 PM

Author Topic: "Hall of Justice","Tobago Airport" & "Wrightson Road" Possibly Renamed Soon !  (Read 34580 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When u did an essay and u write nonesense he would write all kind ah colour comments. For eg u must have been in Guyana when I taught this.

In other words he was ah dick from since back in de days

btw Thanks Deeks
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When u did an essay and u write nonesense he would write all kind ah colour comments. For eg u must have been in Guyana when I taught this.

In other words he was ah dick from since back in de days

U got dat correck
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
..and why we have a Highway in T&T named after Churchill-Roosevelt ?  :rotfl:...

Maybe because had it not been for them your ass would be speaking German right now?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
who was wrightson btw?

Walsh Wrightson (an Englishman), Director of Public Works (1895-1907). Key figure in the Water Riots of 1903.

I learned about this from Michael Anthony's book "The Making of Port of Spain", wonder why it is not a routine part of the curriculum, at least when I was in primary and secondary school...

I can assure you more than half of Trinbago doh know who is Wrightson that "Wrightson Road" was named after..

mmmm, no ah tink is jus me

but since we on de topic,ah want ah one line history of Frederick, Duke & Chacon..oh and Park...and trow in Henry too

I eh really know too much ah streets in sando except High St....so allyuh sout boy hadda fen for yuh self ..who was Mr. High

and who Green Corner and de Croisee name after?

Chacon street and Chanonia flower named after Chacon, the last Spanish governor of Trinidad. He the one who started the civil works in POS, like fiiling Indepedence square with earth from Laventille(la Ventanilla(the little window of POS)). Independence sq was all sea in them times.

Croissee, is french for a crossroads or junction. Saddle rd and EMR form a cross/junction. The Spanish allowed a lot of french people for the french islands into TT, mainly because they were Catholic. That's where TT have places, people,fruits with french names.

Duke, Henry, Frederick, Park, Woodbrook, Queen's Park,(Grand Savannah) QRC all English.

School dem yutes...  Don Jose Maria Chacon... the Cedulla de Poblacion of 1783.  This is how patois came to be the unofficial language of TnT up thru the turn of the 20th Century.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
I knew about the Chacon fella.  Didn't know about the Croisee....which is one of the most frustrating places to navigate on the East/West corridor.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
<taking notes> ah likes this  :beermug:
gosh ah feel like i back in school oui.

AirMan

Senate approves motion to consider renaming public places
Tuesday 23rd March, 2010

In her motion today independent Senator Gail Merhair originally called for the government to take immediate steps to rename the Crown Point airport after former Prime Minister Arthur NR Robinson.

Senator Merhair also wanted the Hall of Justice to be named after former President Noor Hassanali and Wrightson road to be called the George Chambers Avenue in honour of former Prime Minister George Chambers.

Trade Minister Mariano Browne said the government was thankful for the motion.
He however said the wording needed to be changed since there are wider implications.

Read the rest http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=19304

AirMan

^^ There you have it. Case Closed

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I knew about the Chacon fella.  Didn't know about the Croisee....which is one of the most frustrating places to navigate on the East/West corridor.....

yuh know it have more than one croisee in T&T .
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

We have such rich history that many of us don't even know about.  Even those who know don't appreciate it... for instance we were Spanish from 1498 until 1797... three hundred years.  Yet the Spanish footprint in TnT is very tiny, why is that?  We were officially French for a year or two before the British took control in 1797 and we've been British ever since.  That explains why we speak English and why there are so many English aspects to our culture.

The French, despite being in charge for only a year or two has had a much...MUCH.. larger impact on our society... why is that?  People need to be curious about these kinda things because it has shaped who we are as a people.  Down to the way we phrase many things. We don't say "it is cold" or "I am 20 years", we say "it making cold" or "I have 20 years" why?

I don't know French, but I know Spanish and given the common romantic roots it's easily explained. Spanish for "It is cold" = "hace frio", hacer meaning "to make" => literally "it makes cold".  The french construction would be identical.  Same for "I am 20 years old". Sp. = "tengo veinte anos" ("I have 20 years").  Again this is how it would be rendered in French as well.  But it's in the 18th and 19th century that all the action took place... that's when modern TnT took it's shape.  That's the history that's lost.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

We have such rich history that many of us don't even know about.  Even those who know don't appreciate it... for instance we were Spanish from 1498 until 1797... three hundred years.  Yet the Spanish footprint in TnT is very tiny, why is that?  We were officially French for a year or two before the British took control in 1797 and we've been British ever since.  That explains why we speak English and why there are so many English aspects to our culture.

The French, despite being in charge for only a year or two has had a much...MUCH.. larger impact on our society... why is that?  People need to be curious about these kinda things because it has shaped who we are as a people.  Down to the way we phrase many things. We don't say "it is cold" or "I am 20 years", we say "it making cold" or "I have 20 years" why?

I don't know French, but I know Spanish and given the common romantic roots it's easily explained. Spanish for "It is cold" = "hace frio", hacer meaning "to make" => literally "it makes cold".  The french construction would be identical.  Same for "I am 20 years old". Sp. = "tengo veinte anos" ("I have 20 years").  Again this is how it would be rendered in French as well.  But it's in the 18th and 19th century that all the action took place... that's when modern TnT took it's shape.  That's the history that's lost.

interesting :thinking:
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

yuh know it have more than one croisee in T&T .

Technically yes. Every cross street or junction can be called a croisee I guess. But a croisee tends to have a kind of chaotic atmosphere. It must be a busy intersection where business transactions galore, people trading, liming etc. I can only give examples in the EW corridor. Green Corner, Frederick and independence, Morvant junction, Curepe, Tunapuna market(kinda strectching it dey). Central and south have theirs too. Forumites from these areas know better than me.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Nice cocer en horno tiburon fascinating .And it is our stupid leaders destroying our heritage .A people with no past have no future I beleive is the saying .Ours is so rich ,we were there sense the start of the new world .Sad,build something new and name it after ppl ,dont tamper with the past .No country does this  besides  ppl like the Taliban .
Most countries build statues for leaders ,and am sure Wrightson did more for TnT than the Honorable Senator Gail Merhair will ever do for TnT .She has no right to distroy the tapestry of our country ..cause she had ah vibe .
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:24:34 PM by Quags »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Supposedly it had ah rum shop wit green walls at dat location.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Supposedly it had ah rum shop wit green walls at dat location.
Beautiful may be pirates hundreds of years ago use to frequent there .Oh heads of state ,or hookers . 

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I agree the French influence is bigger. Understandably, since even when the Spanish "owned" Trinidad, it was really the French who were living here - not many Spaniards settled in Trinidad, which is why they courted the French.

But is de Spanish influence really dat small?

Most of our "local" Christmas traditions are Spanish, both the food and the music.

The Roman Catholic church is still huge - introduced by the Spanish.

There are dozens of towns/places wid spanish names.

Our capital is.....

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Does anybody know if our history is part of the school's curriculum ?
It's a pity historian scholars don't take the time from their busy schedules (book launching) and head to the history classrooms to share their knowledge in person.

Children today are more visual (practical) than text (theory).
I would love to just sit and listen to a Samuel Selvon or Hollis Liverpool or even a Leroy Clarke talk about plain history. Starting from Slavery straight too first Governer General Hochoy.

From Eric Williams to modern day history, i'll read the book.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Sir Solomon Ho Choy

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Trinidad maroon family circa 1880

This very rare shot shows a family of Trinidad Maroons somewhere near Tamana . These were the descendants of runaway slaves who hid in the dense forests of Tamana, in the caves of Vega de Oropouche and in the hills above Maraval which later became Paramin. Even many years after slavery ended, their descendants were living the same lifestyle of runaways . The maroons were not a s violent as their counterparts in Jamaica, and generally managed to elude capture . There were Maroon villages also at Moruga and Guayaguyare. As reently as the 1930's, there were Maroon descendants living in Tamana who were called Le Nege Marron (Runaway Negroes) by the villagers.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Note usine smoke stack in the back ground...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Now this is what I talking about.  :applause: :applause: Daft ah could juss hug ya man :beermug:
Please continue. This is one thread I really hope will continue to grow with information about Trinidad and Tobago. For once, hopefully the concentration will be focused on how we got here, and why we are the way we are today.

My regret is not taking up History in high school :-\

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In primary school there was a history book almost everybody had to have. I think it was called Little Folks Trinidad.  It had dates and history of events and places pertaining to TT of the past. Anybody?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:51:21 PM by Deeks »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
In primary school there was a history almost everybody had to have. I think it was called Little Folks Trinidad.  It had dates and history of events and places pertaining to TT of the past. Anybody?

No idea. In my time I honestly don't think we had an actual history class in primary school, we had social studies which I think the teacher mixed into history studies....

If memory serves me, it was simply learning about the shape of Trinidad, government issues ie who was the prime minister and names of government ministers, who were our neighboring islands/countries and their prime ministers, caribs and amerindans, christopher columbus and the significance of 1498 - independence and becoming a republic.

Deeks if you can put your hands on that assumingly it's a book, lemme know please and thanks.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tallman and Flex may know. Fellahs????

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I googled it.  Non available on Amazon. The Chinese probably censored it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-folks-Trinidad-descriptive-geographical/dp/B0007K0BP2
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:57:27 PM by Deeks »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Trinidad maroon family circa 1880

This very rare shot shows a family of Trinidad Maroons somewhere near Tamana . These were the descendants of runaway slaves who hid in the dense forests of Tamana, in the caves of Vega de Oropouche and in the hills above Maraval which later became Paramin. Even many years after slavery ended, their descendants were living the same lifestyle of runaways . The maroons were not a s violent as their counterparts in Jamaica, and generally managed to elude capture . There were Maroon villages also at Moruga and Guayaguyare. As reently as the 1930's, there were Maroon descendants living in Tamana who were called Le Nege Marron (Runaway Negroes) by the villagers.
I figure  this is  why ,the West Indies is wear that same maroon as there national colour.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile

if only dis site was around when ah was doin social studies.
real education passin here. keep goin peeps. youth like me appreciate dis kinda knowledge  :beermug:
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
..and why we have a Highway in T&T named after Churchill-Roosevelt ?  :rotfl:...

Maybe because had it not been for them your ass would be speaking German right now?

I doh think Indian, African, Chinee, or Syrian people would exist either.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It have a croisee in freeport by 1 ah dem calcutta number sumbuddy
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>