April 28, 2024, 06:39:42 PM

Author Topic: Who was the First white man to play for Trinidad?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Who was the First white man to play for Trinidad?
« on: October 14, 2005, 10:57:11 AM »
I dont know could someone tell me please??? Thanx ;D

Birchall said he was the first in 60 years on a sky sports news interview so i was wondering
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:36:58 PM by Tallman »

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the First white man to play for Trinidad?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 11:02:54 AM »
and this is relevant to our ca mpaign because................??? ???

FLi'll be in Germany 2006
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:20:04 AM »
no such thing as the first bredda...I believe that de first TnT teams were all-white....so it have a few 'firsts', unless you mean post-independence. the better question was who was the last before Birchall...60 years takes us back to pre independence 1945. I surprised that as a bristish colony with a sizeable (relative to now) white population in them days (there were no white ballers).

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 11:25:06 AM »
was probably in the 1960's.

plenty mixed players represent t & t at all levels since. last i remember was anthohy shearer at the u20 level. seabra (brazilian) may be considered white. he played for t & t last year.

why does this even matte? most trini's not into the racial shit - just a few worthless politicians.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 11:33:17 AM »
Dat first white ting imposssible to say.Early Trinidad teams mainly had white and chinese.
I saw a picture of a 1933 team and if it had 4 blacks in it it had a lot.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »
and this is relevant to our ca mpaign because................??? ???

FLi'll be in Germany 2006
Nope I was just interested

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 11:53:28 AM »
no such thing as the first bredda...I believe that de first TnT teams were all-white....so it have a few 'firsts', unless you mean post-independence. the better question was who was the last before Birchall...60 years takes us back to pre independence 1945. I surprised that as a bristish colony with a sizeable (relative to now) white population in them days (there were no white ballers).
ok.thanx

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 11:55:04 AM »
Photo: THE 1953 Trinidad and Tobago football team (not in order) on arrival at a railway station to play against Torquay in England 50 years ago. The team played 14 matches on tour. GOALKEEPERS: (Capt) Joey Gonsalves, Pat Gomez. FULL BACKS: Syl Dopson, Gerry Parsons, John Atwell, Bernard Garcia. HALF BACKS: Doyle Griffith, Delbert Chaleau, Allan Joseph, Ian Seale, Conrad Braithwaite. FORWARDS: Carlton "Putty" Lewis, Carlton “Squeakie” Hinds, Paul Carr, Mathew Nunes, Shay Seymour, Horace “Pepperwine” Lovelace, Rex Burnett, Robert Hamel-Smith, Colin Agostini. OFFICIALS: Lt Comm Charles Hayward, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association; Vincent “Sonny” Brown (manager) and Eric James, secretary of the T&TFA.

Photo: The core of the Maple squad that had very successful seasons between 1967 and '69. Back (left to right): Jean Mouttet, Peter Halfhide, Sedley Joseph, Noel Bovril. Middle: Ellis Sadaphal, Bobby Sookram, Ian de Bruin, Alvin Corneal, unidentified, Tyrone de la Bastide, Clevvy Caracciolo. Front: Ronald Woods, Kenny Furlonge, Paul Regis (coach).

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 12:16:21 PM »
I have a couple names but nobody specified exactly what qualifies as a Trini white versus black, indian, chinese mixed etc.  so until someone comes up with the correct percentages etc. i guess nobody could really answer the question.... JIMHO  :chilling:

Over the years i've seen great football from all races represented in TNT.... not to mention the support--- across the board........ my hope for the future could only be greater participation from all to help keep the football dream alive.... that's the only way we'll progress in the long run.... an who doh like so....doh like so   :chilling: :challenge: ;D

I've always been sensitive to race issues so there're some underlying issues i probably need to resolve on my own....but the answers won't be solved in my lifetime so in the meantime --- one love ---- all aboard ..... germany 2006 .
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:34:48 PM by Tallman »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 12:57:08 PM »
In 1908 the entire Trinidad team was white  ;D

here is the line Up

Owen, Boyd, Eccles, Anderson. McCranken, Bullock, Gordon, Torrance, Todd, Brierily, Hoadley, Russell, Roachford, Brierly

If I knew how to post pics I would ah post it.  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 12:59:43 PM »
Yuh should send to flex and he could add it to the main site. then anybody could link to the url.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 01:01:24 PM »
Dat 60 yrs ting is tata nuff so called white represent T&T
If you talking since Independence its the same is just man who eh have a handle on the teams talking that.

Yuh should send to flex and he could add it to the main site. then anybody could link to the url.

i send it to Flex years ago
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:36:03 PM by Tallman »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 01:04:10 PM »
Photo: THE 1953 Trinidad and Tobago football team (not in order) on arrival at a railway station to play against Torquay in England 50 years ago. The team played 14 matches on tour. GOALKEEPERS: (Capt) Joey Gonsalves, Pat Gomez. FULL BACKS: Syl Dopson, Gerry Parsons, John Atwell, Bernard Garcia. HALF BACKS: Doyle Griffith, Delbert Chaleau, Allan Joseph, Ian Seale, Conrad Braithwaite. FORWARDS: Carlton "Putty" Lewis, Carlton “Squeakie” Hinds, Paul Carr, Mathew Nunes, Shay Seymour, Horace “Pepperwine” Lovelace, Rex Burnett, Robert Hamel-Smith, Colin Agostini. OFFICIALS: Lt Comm Charles Hayward, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association; Vincent “Sonny” Brown (manager) and Eric James, secretary of the T&TFA.

Photo: The core of the Maple squad that had very successful seasons between 1967 and '69. Back (left to right): Jean Mouttet, Peter Halfhide, Sedley Joseph, Noel Bovril. Middle: Ellis Sadaphal, Bobby Sookram, Ian de Bruin, Alvin Corneal, unidentified, Tyrone de la Bastide, Clevvy Caracciolo. Front: Ronald Woods, Kenny Furlonge, Paul Regis (coach).

Some real Legends of our football here boy. One man missing though "The General Carlton Franco" all them men in the picture would acknowledge that.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 01:08:56 PM »

here is the line Up

Owen, Boyd, Eccles, Anderson. McCranken, Bullock, Gordon, Torrance, Todd, Brierily, Hoadley, Russell, Roachford, Brierly

Sooo Long dah man playin, no wonder Latas so good.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 01:14:49 PM »

here is the line Up

Sooo Long dah man playin, no wonder Latas so good.
:rotfl:

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 01:25:41 PM »
d first whiteman to play for Trinidad was Christopher Columbus. But Jack did fall out wid him because Jack wanted land to build the Center of Excellence and Columbus give it all to the Queen.

Bu the way, Russell was playin back then too.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 06:40:56 PM »
was probably in the 1960's.

plenty mixed players represent t & t at all levels since. last i remember was anthohy shearer at the u20 level. seabra (brazilian) may be considered white. he played for t & t last year.

why does this even matte? most trini's not into the racial shit - just a few worthless politicians.

if yuh mean by Anthony Shearer.....Anthony Sherwood of Pres Sando, the man not white, we already had this descussion, he is mixed race!

1]; } ?>