March 29, 2024, 02:00:13 AM

Author Topic: Hazel visits fire victims  (Read 588 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hazel visits fire victims
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:37:07 AM »
Hazel visits fire victims
By CECILY ASSON Thursday, March 25 2010

WHILE employees of local soft drink manufacturer SM Jaleel and Sons Ltd resumed duty yesterday following Tuesday’s fire which destroyed its Otaheite warehouse, the lives of five Siparia families whose homes were destroyed by bush fires have not returned to normalcy.

These families who on Tuesday lost their homes and livestock to the raging bush fire, were yesterday still struggling to come to terms with their losses. They however received an unexpected “solidarity” visit not from their MP Kamla Persad-Bissessar but from an inter-ministerial team appointed by Prime Minister Patrick Manning and led by his wife, Local Government Minister Hazel Manning, who discussed with some of them their immediate needs.

Accompanying Mrs Manning yesterday morning were Social Development Minister Dr Amery Browne, Culture Minister Marlene McDonald, Minister of State Tina Grunlund-Nunez and Ambassador Joan Yuille-Williams.

The families were promised immediate relief inclusive of temporary shelter along with food and water. Mrs Manning said she was happy with the response from the Disaster Preparedness Unit in Siparia.

“Now that it is over, we have started to clean up and hand over to the other agencies so that Community Development could do what they have to do plus Social Development etc,” Mrs Manning said.

Minister Browne who also spoke to Newsday, described the events of Tuesday as “an unfortunate family tragedy” and said the assessments were still being carried out on those affected by the disaster.

“We are here to demonstrate a sense of solidarity with the residents. I have brought a van load of hampers, food items, bottled water and other supplies which we will distribute to the affected households,” Dr Browne said.

- Kudos to Mrs. Manning. First thing that ran though my mind when i saw this in the news was if Kamla visited them. I really hope the govt can help these people rebuild. Fire is a dread thing yes. I does pray that my family and my house don't burn down. It real scary.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hazel visits fire victims
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
Whether she thinking if Kamla visited or not is irrelevant. Their job is look after citizens complaints and problems. They have to show empathy for TT citizens in GENUINE distress. And they should gave them assistance. Not token assistance or promises either.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hazel visits fire victims
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »
Whether she thinking if Kamla visited or not is irrelevant. Their job is look after citizens complaints and problems. They have to show empathy for TT citizens in GENUINE distress. And they should gave them assistance. Not token assistance or promises either.

D wman on d tv vex because dey tell she bout rent. So because yuh house burn down u must get a free 1. LOUDEST OF STEUPS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>