April 28, 2024, 12:34:26 AM

Author Topic: MLS 2010  (Read 15574 times)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: New York Redbulls vs Seattle Sounders on FSC Right Now
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 12:09:32 PM »
1-0 NYRB. Half time

yes yes yes...took in that game...d bulls lookin solid this year. especially defensively except for the right back. still have work to do goin fwd (Angel eh lookin like himself but ah sure he go turn it around soon). Allyuh must come out and take in a game, check out d stadium etc....bless

Revenge is sweet  ;D

Simply Incredible

By MATT GASCHK
Sounders FC Insider

HARRISON, NJ -- It is never easy to win on the road in Major League Soccer.  For the Sounders FC, though, they may not come tougher than their improbable 1-0 victory over the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena Saturday night.

Fredy Montero came off the bench to score his third goal of the season in the 85th minute and Kasey Keller kept the Red Bulls at bay for his third clean sheet of the year as the Sounders picked up their first road victory of the 2010 season.

“It was a huge win,” Sounders FC head coach Sigi Schmid said.  “We talked about needing to fight and battle and play to zero all week.  The guys came out and put on a great performance from that aspect.”

http://www.soundersfc.com/Matchday/Matches/2010/Season/Game-09-at-New-York.aspx

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: MLS 2010
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:51:11 PM by supporter »
Hart for president

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »
Thierry Henry plays down talk of Red Bulls deal

By Soccernet staff

Barcelona forward Thierry Henry has rejected stories that he has agreed in principle to sign a contract with Major League Soccer side New York Bulls.

Henry, who seems certain to leave Barcelona this summer after a disappointing season with the La Liga champions, was widely reported in the US media on Monday to have already agreed to put pen to paper.

It was suggested that Henry will sign for the Red Bulls after the World Cup, with Henry in the French squad for the tournament in South Africa. But Henry wants to concentrate on the World Cup before considering his next move in club football.

"For the moment, nothing is certain," Henry told AS. "I am a Barcelona player and have another year left on my contract.

"Currently, my only worry is preparing for the World Cup with France. I will have time to reflect on my future later."

The stories were fuelled by comments from Barcelona director general Joan Oliver, who had said that reports that Henry would sign for a United States club "were not completely wrong".

The 32-year-old still has a year remaining on his contract at Barca but the Spanish club are prepared to allow him to leave for free.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »
Sounders back on track with a great 3-0 home win again NE Revs...

Best home game of the season and I think the 1st goal by Gonzalez could be a contender for goal of the season  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
case in point? who could it be?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa72BeDclSo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa72BeDclSo</a>

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
I just see that too. I think 14 on their roster is opened up and it seems to be a 4 on the end of the tee.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »
Thierry Henry Expected to Join New York Red Bulls on July 15

The New York Red Bulls announced on Friday that they will be unveiling a "star player" on July 15 at Red Bull Arena when the MLS transfer window opens. In a press release, the Red Bulls announced that a press conference will be held, titled "100 Rumors, 50 Names and 1 Star." It is almost unanimously agreed upon that the one star to join the Red Bulls will be 32-year-old Frenchman, Thierry Henry.

Henry, once an international superstar and one of the world's most talented players, is on the subtle downside of his career. He will come to New York after spending his last three years in La Liga, playing for Barcelona. He struggled for playing time last season with Barcelona and comes to the MLS looking to revive his own career, while attempting to jump-start American soccer following the World Cup.

The French striker carries a very accomplished resume. He has successfully played internationally for club powers Monaco, Juventus, Arsenal and Barcelona. He is also a former captain of the French National team and Arsenal.

Henry was part of France's 1998 World Cup championship team and was the country's lead scorer during their Euro 2000 title. He helped Barcelona win La Liga, Copa del Rey and the Champions League in 2008-09.

Henry, however, struggled for playing time at the club level and with France's National team at this year's World Cup, only used sparingly as a substitute in South Africa. He also carries with him the legacy of his infamous no-call handball in a playoff against Ireland that got France in to the 2010 World Cup.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/07/09/thierry-henry-expected-to-join-new-york-red-bulls-on-july-15/

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 11:44:11 AM »
Been hearin alot today of Henry to the Red Bulls. Waitin for a concrete source, but this would be great news.

;D yes yes yes....he is here!!! ah done call dem to print up mih jersey...it very serious.
Come on out and watch us now, if not a season ticket take in a few games at least.
July 22nd we playin tottenham and d 25th its a double header where we playin man city and there is also tottenham vs sporting lisbon. i"ll be at d double header with my bredrins who i finally get to come out...make it a lime...bless
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
Kansas City sign Omar Bravo earlier and a little while ago, Chicago Fire showed off their new player, Nery Castillo.

Talk what you want about the MLS. It just became harder for our players.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2010, 09:01:26 PM »

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »
I took in the fire yesterday and not quite impress wid dem. It was di superliga nad not the mls tournament but the players in both di ne revolution and fire looked nothing more than 20 years old . also does stern have a bredda playing for fire. Yow this man was rell shitting himself dung boy..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »
Any ah allyuh came out to Red Bull Arena yesterday? Sure nobody who came could say dey didnt enjoy d vibes...and I sure its only gonna build from there. Rumor is we gettin Rafa Marquez and that should hopefully bring in some mexican support as well. The amount of ppl I saw on lines buyin Henry jerseys yesterday was like whoa! Jump on the PATH and come thru (Henry did it)!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »
July 30, 2010
Ljungberg Traded From Seattle to Chicago

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 7:25 p.m. ET

RENTON, Wash. (AP) -- The Seattle Sounders traded two-time MLS All-Star Freddie Ljungberg to the Chicago Fire on Friday for a conditional pick in the 2011 or 2012 SuperDraft.

The Sounders announced the departure of the 33-year-old former Arsenal star on Friday.

Ljungberg hadn't practiced with the Sounders for weeks while he rehabilitated an ankle injury on his own. His quiet exit from Seattle for a draft choice contrasted with his hyped entrance to the city and MLS in October 2008.

That month, the former Premier League winner with the Gunners became expansion Seattle's first designated player. His signing was seen as the latest coup for MLS, which started play in 1996.

Ljungberg finished fourth in MLS with nine assists in the Sounders' inaugural season in 2009.

But he's done little this season. He had three assists in 15 games while the Sounders struggled. He hasn't played since July 4, and his Seattle contract was set to expire in November.

''Freddie is a tremendous individual and an exceptional player who contributed greatly to the huge success of Sounders FC, both on and off the field, in the past year and a half,'' Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer said in a statement. ''Freddie, along with Kasey Keller, gave this club immediate stature in the world's game, and we are grateful for his service. We wish him all the best in Chicago.''

The Sounders may see Ljungberg again soon. The Fire visit Seattle on Aug. 28.

''I want to start off by saying how proud I am to have been part of the most successful new franchise in MLS history, the Seattle Sounders FC,'' Ljungberg was quoted as saying in the statement, referring to Seattle regularly drawing MLS crowds of 30,000-plus since it began play. ''I didn't know exactly what to expect when I first came to Seattle but I have to say that how the city and the fans have embraced me has gone beyond my wildest dreams and for that I am forever grateful.

''I also want to thank my teammates who are absolutely great on and off the pitch. I have made some very close friends who I know I will be in contact with forever.''

Seattle added new midfielder Alvaro Fernandez to the active roster. The 24-year-old, who played for Uruguay at the World Cup, was acquired Thursday. He has received his international transfer paperwork and is eligible to play Saturday night at San Jose.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/07/30/sports/AP-SOC-MLS-Sounders-FC-Fire-Trade.html?ref=sports

-----------------------------------------------------

DeSoWa whey's dah one?  :-\

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »
Went to the Philly Union game today. Quality wasnt amazing but what did impress me was the crowd support and the vibe in the stadium. If only T&T Pro League could figure out how to create that level of vibes in the games im sure they would pull bigger crowds

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2010, 04:49:32 PM »
Went to the Philly Union game today. Quality wasnt amazing but what did impress me was the crowd support and the vibe in the stadium. If only T&T Pro League could figure out how to create that level of vibes in the games im sure they would pull bigger crowds

I need to come check out ah game one ah deez days... next time yuh heading out link mih man, ah go see if ah could make it.  My biggest concern is that in Chester itself there's a lot of apathy... and indeed antipathy in some quarters towards the team.  Some see it as the mostly black Chester city government selling out to white people by pushing this 'white people' soccer thing above the interests of the majority black populace.  Right now Chester dealing with a lot of violence and a city-imposed curfew on weeknights, which I'm not sure has been lifted yet.  People can't see the big picture as far as this urban renewal project carrying longterm benefits for the area... them only concern with the fact that they ent care about no soccer and is ah set ah outsiders who really benefitting from the waterfront development right now.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 07:33:13 PM »
July 30, 2010
Ljungberg Traded From Seattle to Chicago

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 7:25 p.m. ET

RENTON, Wash. (AP) -- The Seattle Sounders traded two-time MLS All-Star Freddie Ljungberg to the Chicago Fire on Friday for a conditional pick in the 2011 or 2012 SuperDraft.

The Sounders announced the departure of the 33-year-old former Arsenal star on Friday.

Ljungberg hadn't practiced with the Sounders for weeks while he rehabilitated an ankle injury on his own. His quiet exit from Seattle for a draft choice contrasted with his hyped entrance to the city and MLS in October 2008.

That month, the former Premier League winner with the Gunners became expansion Seattle's first designated player. His signing was seen as the latest coup for MLS, which started play in 1996.

Ljungberg finished fourth in MLS with nine assists in the Sounders' inaugural season in 2009.

But he's done little this season. He had three assists in 15 games while the Sounders struggled. He hasn't played since July 4, and his Seattle contract was set to expire in November.

''Freddie is a tremendous individual and an exceptional player who contributed greatly to the huge success of Sounders FC, both on and off the field, in the past year and a half,'' Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer said in a statement. ''Freddie, along with Kasey Keller, gave this club immediate stature in the world's game, and we are grateful for his service. We wish him all the best in Chicago.''

The Sounders may see Ljungberg again soon. The Fire visit Seattle on Aug. 28.

''I want to start off by saying how proud I am to have been part of the most successful new franchise in MLS history, the Seattle Sounders FC,'' Ljungberg was quoted as saying in the statement, referring to Seattle regularly drawing MLS crowds of 30,000-plus since it began play. ''I didn't know exactly what to expect when I first came to Seattle but I have to say that how the city and the fans have embraced me has gone beyond my wildest dreams and for that I am forever grateful.

''I also want to thank my teammates who are absolutely great on and off the pitch. I have made some very close friends who I know I will be in contact with forever.''

Seattle added new midfielder Alvaro Fernandez to the active roster. The 24-year-old, who played for Uruguay at the World Cup, was acquired Thursday. He has received his international transfer paperwork and is eligible to play Saturday night at San Jose.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/07/30/sports/AP-SOC-MLS-Sounders-FC-Fire-Trade.html?ref=sports

-----------------------------------------------------

DeSoWa whey's dah one?  :-\

We knew he was going, but Chicago? lawd...whateva oui!  >:(

Some peeps thought he was going to join Henry in NY/NJ...guess he just was not happy here anymore, I don't mind, better we get something now than wait 'til November and he gone for nothing!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 08:40:42 PM »
Daz good. Chicago has been in a mess this year. They need to switch up their backline though.

Sealy now bang the post in San Jose vs Seattle.

Glen and Sealy start

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 06:57:18 AM »

I need to come check out ah game one ah deez days... next time yuh heading out link mih man, ah go see if ah could make it.  My biggest concern is that in Chester itself there's a lot of apathy... and indeed antipathy in some quarters towards the team.  Some see it as the mostly black Chester city government selling out to white people by pushing this 'white people' soccer thing above the interests of the majority black populace.  Right now Chester dealing with a lot of violence and a city-imposed curfew on weeknights, which I'm not sure has been lifted yet.  People can't see the big picture as far as this urban renewal project carrying longterm benefits for the area... them only concern with the fact that they ent care about no soccer and is ah set ah outsiders who really benefitting from the waterfront development right now.
Next game I looking to go might be in October when LA and New York come thru but i'll let u know. But I hear what yuh sayin bout the situation in Chester. Sorta remind me of Laventille a lil bit. I think they lifted the curfew last weekend, but the crime persists. That being said, the crowd turnout was pretty decent, 18,000 for a regular MLS game shocked me especially when there are all these European teams down here.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
Went Saturday to see Dynamos (2) vs Redbulls (2), just to say I saw Thierry Henry live.

Most of the game, looked like Henry just say I go give them 50%, still hold down a starting spot on this team and make my millions. BUT, the few times the man decide to open up, get free and hold onto the ball, was like he (and J P Angel) have football PhDs, and everybody else still in middle school. But he strutted around the field like a friggin prima-dona only complaining. In his defense, he make some boss runs, but they didn't have anyone in midfield to make the passes. Henry throw way a sitter, bout top and middle of d 6-yard box, keeper beaten, and that man tap d ball wide of the far post. Unbelievable miss, and it came back to haunt them as Brian Ching scored a 90th minute diving header to tie the game for Houston who played most of the game with 10 men due to a red card.

Hilight of the game:
2 youthmen run on the pitch after Ching equalize. I thought them running to celebrate with Ching. One of them run up behind Henry, and jump on the man back and stay there for at least 3, 4 seconds. Henry was so cool with it, not even reacting, especially since he never saw the youth coming, so it had to be a surprise to suddenyl feel someone jump up on his back.

All the Dynamos security was a bunch of short fat men. So to see them fat men chasing after them 2 youthmen all over the friggin field, was funny no ass.   
Toujour Pret!

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Quakes hoping for breakout from fit Glen

Trinidadian striker nearly healthy for SJ, who could use him

Geoff Lepper MLSsoccer.com August 2, 2010
San Jose hope they get consistent production from Cornell Glen, whom Frank Yallop calls "dangerous." (Getty Images)

SAN JOSE, Calif. – The soccer life of San Jose Earthquakes forward Cornell Glen has always been about walking a tightrope, but perhaps never more so than right now.

The 29-year-old Glen has earned 59 career caps with the Trinidad and Tobago National Team – and 35 MLS goals in 69 league appearances – by hanging on the shoulder of the opposition’s final defender, navigating the fine line between an offside call and a breakaway for a one-on-one against the keeper.

But ever since he joined San Jose prior to last season, Glen’s health has also been an issue, with nagging muscle injuries often making his availability a week-to-week proposition.

After replacing ineffective striker Ryan Johnson in the starting lineup, Glen showed why he has averaged a goal every 95 minutes of play in his MLS career. He tallied three matches ago against Philadelphia and, in San Jose’s match last month against league-leading Los Angeles, Glen made the run that ignited the sequence that led to the Quakes’ first goal.

Even so, San Jose coach Frank Yallop is loath to overuse him, wary of incurring another injury.

“We want to get him fitter, so he doesn’t get injured, but we don’t want to push him too much to get injured,” Yallop said. “That’s the big issue. It’s a tough one.”

Glen, who missed several weeks with a hamstring injury earlier this season, is currently nursing what he terms a “slight” groin strain. In order to save him for this past weekend, in which Glen started in a 1-0 home loss to Seattle, the team held him out of practice last Tuesday, giving him drills meant to keep in shape without aggravating the pain.

“I’m probably 90 percent,” Glen said. “[The groin injury] is sore, but otherwise I’m doing OK. It’s a matter of getting game time, match time and match fitness. Once I’m match fit, I think I can always perform well and help the team as best as I can. It’s a matter of getting time in, week-in and week-out, and getting the body used to it.”

Glen drives some fans nuts with his propensity to get whistled for being offside, but that’s part of the cost of business in using him, since courting that risk is necessary for him to be most effective.

“He unbalances defenses,” Yallop said. “I think he’s done a nice job of running the line and being dangerous. He’s always trying to get a breakaway. And he adds a different dimension to our team. It doesn’t always equate to us winning, but it gives us a different look.”

On offense, Glen fits in just fine with Yallop’s counterattacking plan for this roster. But hounding the opposition with terrier-like tenacity is – another prized Yallop trait among forwards – is not exactly Glen’s game.

“If it’s working for us, it’s probably the best thing that we play that way, and play on the counterattack,” Glen said. “So far, it’s not going too bad, but it’s not going too well, either. There’s a lot of stuff we’ve got to work on.”

Geoff Lepper covers the Earthquakes for MLSsoccer.com. He can be reached at sanjosequakes@gmail.com. On Twitter: @sjquakes.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Red Bulls vs. Galaxy right now on FSC...

Becks, Birchie and Buddle vs. Angel, Henry and Marquez.  Good game, 1-0 Galaxy (Buddle 10') at the half.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »
becks fit?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 05:29:48 PM »
Nope. Only just started back training

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »
becks fit?

Nah not yet, he rejoined the squad mid-week... ah needed ah name to round out de 3 on 3  ;D

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »
Red Bulls vs. Galaxy right now on FSC...

Becks, Birchie and Buddle vs. Angel, Henry and Marquez.  Good game, 1-0 Galaxy (Buddle 10') at the half.

Not too long come home from da game. Got mih Henry jersey today finally. D vibes was niiiiice...allyuh gotta come out

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
San Jose sign Geovanni of Hull...another decent player comin into d league. D talent pool rising, they doin it right cuz its not only stars comin in but jus good players in general...keep it goin

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 09:24:28 AM »
San Jose sign Geovanni of Hull...another decent player comin into d league. D talent pool rising, they doin it right cuz its not only stars comin in but jus good players in general...keep it goin

That's a big signing for San Jose...and at 30 they could get a few good years from him. Hope this signing benifits the Trinis as well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:43:10 AM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Terrific Edson Buddle goal yesterday for LA Galaxy
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
Ah know meh breddrin DeSoWa have a serious tabanca right bout now.  But yuh cyah complain bout de quality of de strike.  To beat Kasey Keller to boot.  A goal worthy of winning any match

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/59vH1ayS4xY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/59vH1ayS4xY</a>
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Terrific Edson Buddle goal yesterday for LA Galaxy
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »
Steupsssss...yuh just like to provoke ppl yes...horrific, just horrific!

Big Up!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:01:33 PM by DeSoWa »
Warrior Nation Member

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Terrific Edson Buddle goal yesterday for LA Galaxy
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »
Steupsssss...yuh just like to provoke ppl yes...horrific, just horrific!

Big Up!

Hoss....wha horrific bout a bess goal?

As a football lover ah sure yuh jump out yuh matchin flourescent green socks and gloves when yuh see it go een!  :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>