April 27, 2024, 06:24:36 PM

Author Topic: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !  (Read 134914 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
i see manning get boo in Valencia today on a walk about
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2010, 04:22:20 AM »
I think he's bluffing with this election business.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2010, 04:28:11 AM »

Agree!

truetrini

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2010, 07:12:25 AM »

Well if he is not bluffing, he is really and truly a stark raving lunatic!

While he does have some support, he has destroyed the PNM and I feel will lose a General Election if he does call it this year.

He has already started giving away money to certain key districts, but he is not giving himself enough time to give the appearance that he is trying to correct ills and missteps.

he gorn facking mad!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »
I dunno, I think he is bluffing just to see his chances in October 2012 elections

I just waiting to see who he is planning to put in Rowley's seat.

truetrini

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »
I dunno, I think he is bluffing just to see his chances in October 2012 elections

If he is smart, he would bring Rowley back into the fold to shut him up.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »

If he is smart, he would bring Rowley back into the fold to shut him up.

true that
Youtube Channel

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »
If he is smart he would move out and let Rowley run things, but he so power struck he not moving.

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 10:03:23 PM »
This question is for TC, given the flaws of mr manning this rounds, and knowing yuhs ah big PNM supporter, would you still support the PNM in this election or yuh jumpin ship for this one?

what would your new name be? BC last rounds yuh was jackmaday, lemme guess, kamla carmeleon ??  :devil: :devil:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
This question is for TC, given the flaws of mr manning this rounds, and knowing yuhs ah big PNM supporter, would you still support the PNM in this election or yuh jumpin ship for this one?

what would your new name be? BC last rounds yuh was jackmaday, lemme guess, kamla carmeleon ??  :devil: :devil:

hahahahaha  the truth is, and it may be hard to understand, is that I am NOT a big PNM supporter.  I stated last time as long as Panday involved in the UNC I could not support them, well he gone but get replaced by another that I cannot support in principle.

The trouble is Patrick Manning!  I would vote NM, BUT>>>>dat man does irk me.and real bad too.

I will have a talk with Kamal, and I am serious when I say that...and make up my mind, as for now I am not sure she has what it takes, but that can change...PNM with Manning is a dead horse.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:49 AM »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2010, 04:53:59 AM »

hahahahaha  the truth is, and it may be hard to understand, is that I am NOT a big PNM supporter.  I stated last time as long as Panday involved in the UNC I could not support them, well he gone but get replaced by another that I cannot support in principle.

The trouble is Patrick Manning!  I would vote NM, BUT>>>>dat man does irk me.and real bad too.

I will have a talk with Kamal, and I am serious when I say that...and make up my mind, as for now I am not sure she has what it takes, but that can change...PNM with Manning is a dead horse.
Kamal?? what does the former PNM minister of health have tuh do wid this, and why yuh have tuh talk tuh he fuh, is he your spiritual leader now? why not talk tuh dawkins?

i on kicks breds, ah know it's ah typo, and it's kamla yuh really meant tuh say. breds all i could say iz, the UNC left ah bad taste in my mouth when they were in power.

they divided the country along racial lines and encourage this indian african political rivalry, which could lead to ah similar bipartisan warfare that crippled jamaica to this day.

i saw panday @ JFK 2002, the man whole security detail was 100% indian, not ah black , ah white, ah french creole, ah dougla, or ah chinee. ah said to myself, this fella is the indian equivalent of ah george wallace?

and the sad part of that iz, kamla, dookeran, ramesh, sat maharaj, and all the other pretentious fackers who claims tuh distance them selves from the tiger, all knew he was ah no good racist, but went along for political gain!

and dum trinis want tuh vote them ppl back in power ? they will just do the same thing they did before. the PNM is the lesser of all the evils i'm sure. just wait and see.

every time UNC attack the PNM it's trump card is the crime situation. but i will ask ah simple question,  do ppl really think that mannin and the PNM not losing sleep over how tuh contain and eradicate the senseless crime in the country?

personally, i don't think the UNC has the solution either. this crime thing is ah wild fire burning out of control and it will take more than wishful thinking to snuff out crime and criminals. actually the crime epidemic is not even ah national security issue, but ah result of judicial backwardness.

the whole constitution has tuh change, and gun laws have to be implemented in order tuh quench the crime situation. and if that is not addressed, kamla with all her great intention will meet the same brick wall that mannin , joseph and philbert ran into!

The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2010, 06:56:27 AM »
Youtube Channel

AirMan

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »
Voice of the People rally a success
Saturday 27th March, 2010
Source: http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=19428

The passion of the people was felt at the UNC's Voice of the People Rally today.

Speakers voiced their frustrations at the current PNM administration, calling for change.

But two speakers cried out for petty differences to be put aside calling for real unity in the country.

Once again, an assembly of leaders is calling for the removal of the current administration.

Some even took a humorous approach.

Two speakers chose to rise above the political differences and called for unity among the people of Trinidad and Tobago.

NJAC chief servant Makandal Daaga asked if we had learned anything from the 1970s revolution. He recalled the march to Caroni where he said people opened their doors to total strangers because they saw beyond race or creed. They saw only human beings.

The rally was a strong show of unity of opposition forces. Rubadiri Victor, Stephen Cadiz, and David Abdullah were also feature speakers.

i heard suruj say about 20,000 strong ::)

http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/03/28/bring-it

"Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar was in an exultant mood yesterday at the 20,000-plus Voice of the People rally in Saith Park, Chaguanas, ..... PNM convention held simultaneously yesterday in Chaguaramas. Her information was that there were only about 2,000 PNMites in attendance "

AirMan

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »
Signal the link to your answer is above dont say i never could have found you the link lol

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »

Kamal?? what does the former PNM minister of health have tuh do wid this, and why yuh have tuh talk tuh he fuh, is he your spiritual leader now? why not talk tuh dawkins?

i on kicks breds, ah know it's ah typo, and it's kamla yuh really meant tuh say. breds all i could say iz, the UNC left ah bad taste in my mouth when they were in power.

they divided the country along racial lines and encourage this indian african political rivalry, which could lead to ah similar bipartisan warfare that crippled jamaica to this day.

i saw panday @ JFK 2002, the man whole security detail was 100% indian, not ah black , ah white, ah french creole, ah dougla, or ah chinee. ah said to myself, this fella is the indian equivalent of ah george wallace?

and the sad part of that iz, kamla, dookeran, ramesh, sat maharaj, and all the other pretentious fackers who claims tuh distance them selves from the tiger, all knew he was ah no good racist, but went along for political gain!

and dum trinis want tuh vote them ppl back in power ? they will just do the same thing they did before. the PNM is the lesser of all the evils i'm sure. just wait and see.

every time UNC attack the PNM it's trump card is the crime situation. but i will ask ah simple question,  do ppl really think that mannin and the PNM not losing sleep over how tuh contain and eradicate the senseless crime in the country?

personally, i don't think the UNC has the solution either. this crime thing is ah wild fire burning out of control and it will take more than wishful thinking to snuff out crime and criminals. actually the crime epidemic is not even ah national security issue, but ah result of judicial backwardness.

the whole constitution has tuh change, and gun laws have to be implemented in order tuh quench the crime situation. and if that is not addressed, kamla with all her great intention will meet the same brick wall that mannin , joseph and philbert ran into!

mr kamaluddin, tt resurrect an ole name there boy, he bringing the elders for counsel. if i was home i would neither, bc neither of them appeal to me.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
I could always count on Paolo to say it the way I thinking it...

http://guardian.co.tt/commentary/columnist/2010/04/01/premature-emasculation

I was doing a modest bit of grocery shopping recently. With two tins of tuna in hand (oil, not water; because that’s how I roll), I stood in line. In front of me there were a couple pnmites getting their stocks together for the special convention. Wearing their noisy yellow party T-shirts, they processed their goods in animated fashion. I mumbled to myself in my best James Earl Jones voice, “It has begun…” They heard me and asked “wah?” As I ignored their misdirected query, I realised something that has probably always been true: my mumbling is actually a clearly audible utterance. This could be dangerous. The television coverage reflected a particularly lackluster attempt at stirring the masses on the part of the ruling party.

I have seen a more enthusiastic crowd in attendance at Mastana Bahar. Although, in fairness to the Prime Minister, this was probably another manifestation of the sinister alliance between the drug traffickers and their cohorts, the insidious press corps bent on manipulating recorded video to make a sedative of a stimulant. Prime Minister Patrick Manning is often credited with political savvy, something which I have never understood.  Neither me, same for Panday
Recently of course he has repeatedly displayed the diplomatic grace of Inspector Clouseau:rotfl: :rotfl:  Not even this, though, I would ascribe to the hapless leader. Call an early election? Amid a firestorm of condemnation, the PSA beating war drums, Udecott, a body that just won’t stay buried, public outrage over the property tax? Gimme a break.

I think even for Mr Manning, the memory of the devastating result of his last election grandcharge is fresh on his mind. Putting the country on an election footing could be connected to so many things but you can rest assured that none of them include actual elections. The political leader is throwing down the gauntlet to an opposition emboldened by an upsurge (potentially shortlived) in public support for Kamla Persad-Bissessar and the apparent reconstitution of the Congress of the People. The COP on its own presents no significant threat to the ruling party, but a coalescing of opposition forces brought together by growing public disgust with the cavalcade of scandals bedeviling the Government... well that is another foe entirely. This sabre-rattling is both timely and predictable for a government short on options and long on declining political stocks. Mr Manning may very well be flanked by the unquestioned loyalty of lieutenants such as Karen and Mariano, but Mr Manning’s cadre of cold, characterless technocrats will be hard pressed to marshal the ground forces. The Prime Minister has, of course, his own personality problems to contend with.

In clanging the bell of screening and nomination, the embattled leader on the one hand has the opportunity to remind the voters that they have to work for their supper (Cepep largesse and such) and on the other it presents a great opportunity to begin the delicate work of excising the cancerous Dr Keith Rowley from parliamentary politics. This has perhaps not been lost on Dr Rowley who made it clear that he will not go quietly. Ken Valley did not go quietly either, but he did go. This gives the Prime Minister an opportunity to re-establish his position as the last word in the party and while it represents a dangerous gamble, running afoul of Dr Rowley’s supporters, nothing heals political wounds like time and money. It seems fairly obvious that the Government is now intent on availing itself of both. It is no surprise that Mr Manning has announced a plan to dramatically upgrade the healthcare infrastructure in this country. He has been working with what you gave him you see. “Before they spend that money on healthcare, they buying flag!” Sounds familiar? The Government is simply playing a card that the opposition will never have—the vast resources of the State to assuage the devastating allegations of corruption and the Calder Hart effect.

This Pavlovian promising of more than 600 hospital beds is predicated on the ruling party’s perception of the citizenry as largely uneducated and stupid. If beds were enough to cure the sick, the Hyatt would be booked to the rafters every day of the week. Look at it more closely. Just last week the Finance Minister held a news conference to remind the public, just in case it forgot, that the property tax regime is now upon us and you are just going to have to get used to it. Lo and behold we are now hearing about a “review of the property tax.” Following fast on the heels of this neck-breaking about face was the deferral of the Revenue Authority debate. It seems that it has come to the attention of the Government that there simply has not been enough consultation with the unions on this matter.

The thinking is that “we will put it off, get these muppets’ votes and when we get back in power, rest it on dem!” Unions in this country tend to vote for issues that directly affect their members as opposed to, say, the welfare of the entire nation. Put all of these things in the context of the Prime Minister having been summoned to a meeting at the private home of a businessman. No one seems to have a problem with the Prime Minister of this country in a sit down with some of the country’s most powerful business interests. Just in case you were wondering who is really running this country, you need not look any further.

The idea of course is to trade heavily on our natural tendency toward amnesia. If the population has sufficient cud to chew, then Calder Hart need never return for his name would exist as nothing more than a fleeting memory of something bad that happened a long time ago. The timing of the announcement is also curious given that quite recently when the Prime Minister was asked about our allocation of relief funds for Haiti, he conveniently evoked the economic downturn which was denied vigorously by his Govern- ment in the first place. Now it seems that money, once again, is no problem. Election? Not likely. Mr Manning is going to need every minute of the next two years to exorcise the demons tormenting his administration. In the meanwhile the Opposition, worked into a froth by the shallow threat, will begin with the power struggles in earnest along the already active fault line within the party. Perhaps the proximity of power can have the effect of forcing the rabidly ambitious into premature emasculation of their own colleagues as the prize gets every closer, yet remains so far away. Kamla Persad-Bissessar could find herself with the hounds turning on her at feeding, after the ardour which blossomed during the unc elections fades along with our futures. Question is who out there is takin’ that basket?

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

AirMan

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »
 What is your opinion on this ?

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161618696

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:00:28 PM by AirMan »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
She look good!!!!!!

AirMan

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
Just a distraction, says Panday
Anna Ramdass
Thursday, April 1st 2010

Some Opposition Members of Parliament (MPs) say they are willing to throw their hat back into the ring and defend their current seats should a general election be called.

Among them are Mayaro MP Winston ’Gypsy’ Peters, Fyzabad MP Chandresh Sharma, Couva South MP Kelvin Ramnath, Naparima MP Nizam Baksh and Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal.

Tabaquite MP Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, Caroni Central MP Dr Hamza Rafeeq and Caroni East MP Dr Tim Gopeesingh said it was premature to respond to such a query since the date of the general election had not been announced.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning put the country on an election alert last Saturday during a party convention at Chaguaramas and announced that screening of candidates will begin on April 7, with the San Fernando East constituency. Manning is the MP for San Fernando East.

Ramnath, who took the decision to move to the back bench in support of former political leader Basdeo Panday, has been the representative for Couva South for the past 24 years.

’Yes I will be seeking nomination from my constituency and I trust that the Executive of Couva South will nominate me. I think it is time Manning goes and I will be contributing towards that,’ Ramnath said.

Sources told the Express that Panday himself, who has represented the people of Couva North for the past 34 years, has no intention of stepping down

Since Kamla Persad-Bissessar took over as political leader of the party, following the January 24 party election, Panday, Ramnath as well as Opposition MP Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and Mickela Panday have taken the decision to not attend the party’s weekly meetings at Rienzi Complex, Couva.

’All MPs would want to continue to serve but it all depends on the party groups and the support they receive. Yes, I am ready and willing to continue representing the people,’ said Sharma.

’It all depends on the political leader, yes I am ready to serve,’ said Baksh.

’If I get the will of my people and the blessings of my party I will continue,’ said Moonilal.

Peters said, ’It is my sole intention to do that. I am working in my constituency all now. I have no doubt that my constituency would want me to represent them.’

The UNC has already screened some 200 persons for Local Government election. Persad-Bissessar said screening for the general election would also commence soon.

Persad-Bissessar left the country yesterday for Florida for a fund-raising dinner on Saturday and will return home after one week.

In a telephone interview, Panday said he believes Manning was bluffing with respect to a general election and is only trying to distract attention from the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) fiasco.

He said as of now he is enjoying life and making most of his free time by studying literature and music, but still keeps a close eye on the UNC.

’I can tell you one thing, I will not stand by and see the UNC be destroyed. After all it is the party to which I gave birth and 20 years of my blood, sweat and tears,’ he said.

Panday opined that the poor turn- out at Saturday’s Voice of the People rally at Saith Park was a reflection of Persad-Bissessar ability to lead.

’People are looking for change and they are not getting it, they are looking for leadership and they are not getting it, I think that is why it was so badly attended. I think people are very disappointed they want to see change and instead they are seeing people being pulled out from the political cemetery. And I believe that is bothering them as well as the fact that their chairman (Jack Warner) continues to refuse to account for millions given to the party,’ he said.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »
She look good!!!!!!

I've seen her in African garb before for Emancipation and she does look good in it.  Like her politics or hate it, she is much more pleasant to look at than Panday.... :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2010, 03:15:17 AM »
When i look @ ppl like this kamla woman, my blood does run cold!! to me, them UNC ppl doh look like they will do anything different than what the past governments has done. as ah matter of fact, them look like they will totally ignore the grass roots ppl and cater more for the upper crust and their constituency.

after panday, i can't trust any UNC leader to be equitable. when i visited TNT under the UNC/ panday's rulership, ppl from my old neighborhood was totally aghast as tuh how much of ah racist pig they had for ah PM, and i mean chinese , african, frenchcreole, cocospanish, accross the board was in shock tuh the blatant disregard and the audacity of this guyanese fella! :devil: (dey said he's from GT, i don't know whats whats though) :devil:

i rather see ah whole new party that truly represents the faces of TNT, not no damn indian party or no african party, but ah party of all the ppls of TNT, with young vibrant minds and new ideas!

it's time for TNT to heal, and these old dinosaur parties must step aside and let the yutes prevail.  the UNC iz just ULF in disguise, they realize that they needed tuh form an alliance tuh beat the peeondem so they first came together under the nar banner.

but the nar was just the DLP in disguise, so after robbie betrayed half his members, that's the reason mayers , humphry and gordon rode out. they formed the UNC BC bass wanted ah taste of power, so they went down that road again and nuff fellas rode out in like manner. to me them ppl don't care bout the country, they just want POWER!!

all ah dem wanted power, and they are all dinosaur parties! the ULF (panday) DAC (robbie) tapia house who joined the alliance as well (lloyd best) ONR (karl hudson P) all dinosaur parties in disguise!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
When i look @ ppl like this kamla woman, my blood does run cold!! to me, them UNC ppl doh look like they will do anything different than what the past governments has done. as ah matter of fact, them look like they will totally ignore the grass roots ppl and cater more for the upper crust and their constituency.

after panday, i can't trust any UNC leader to be equitable. when i visited TNT under the UNC/ panday's rulership, ppl from my old neighborhood was totally aghast as tuh how much of ah racist pig they had for ah PM, and i mean chinese , african, frenchcreole, cocospanish, accross the board was in shock tuh the blatant disregard and the audacity of this guyanese fella! :devil: (dey said he's from GT, i don't know whats whats though) :devil:

i rather see ah whole new party that truly represents the faces of TNT, not no damn indian party or no african party, but ah party of all the ppls of TNT, with young vibrant minds and new ideas!

it's time for TNT to heal, and these old dinosaur parties must step aside and let the yutes prevail.  the UNC iz just ULF in disguise, they realize that they needed tuh form an alliance tuh beat the peeondem so they first came together under the nar banner.

but the nar was just the DLP in disguise, so after robbie betrayed half his members, that's the reason mayers , humphry and gordon rode out. they formed the UNC BC bass wanted ah taste of power, so they went down that road again and nuff fellas rode out in like manner. to me them ppl don't care bout the country, they just want POWER!!

all ah dem wanted power, and they are all dinosaur parties! the ULF (panday) DAC (robbie) tapia house who joined the alliance as well (lloyd best) ONR (karl hudson P) all dinosaur parties in disguise!

JC I use to live by my aunt in Palmiste on the same street with Panday... Mr Lloyd and Mrs Carter use to be his neighbours on one side and Mr Winston Jackson (former TnT runner under the Commonwealth) other side and he never use to say as much as umph... to dem... cause they black... to this day my aunt and uncle blood does crawl when they see the man. Dr Chamley and his wife also... Panday use to mistreat his wife when she get sick... Oma use to be a maid and he start "friending" with her right in front he sick wife... if he could fork he wife over when she most needed him for selfish desires and personal gain... who is a nation...?

btw I know this go offend people... but I hate it when indians in TnT does say they want an Indian PM... like the PM is not supposed to rep a "whole" nation... my fadder once cuss Adesh Nannan for that shyte and tell him if all yuh want an indian PM go to india...! I could never on a sane day vote U Not Seein... In 1991 they campaign on de indian vote thing also all they political meeting in indian communities dey was preaching that race bullshit... Panday is one of the main cause for a modern fracturing of the race relations in TnT...

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2010, 09:27:16 AM »
Signal the link to your answer is above dont say i never could have found you the link lol

lol..how yuh know ah was thinking that?
the thing is ah does expect them kinda talk from all politicians eh, but when peeps from the media talk like that ah does loose all respect for anything they say in the future..and also what they have said in the past.

as for Kamla ... she looks good in her clothes.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
Oh Lawd dey just putting water in meh pool...  :devil:

http://guardian.co.tt/news/crime/2010/04/02/caught-act

AirMan

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
Just a distraction, says Panday
Anna Ramdass
Thursday, April 1st 2010

Some Opposition Members of Parliament (MPs) say they are willing to throw their hat back into the ring and defend their current seats should a general election be called.

Among them are Mayaro MP Winston ’Gypsy’ Peters, Fyzabad MP Chandresh Sharma, Couva South MP Kelvin Ramnath, Naparima MP Nizam Baksh and Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal.

Tabaquite MP Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, Caroni Central MP Dr Hamza Rafeeq and Caroni East MP Dr Tim Gopeesingh said it was premature to respond to such a query since the date of the general election had not been announced.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning put the country on an election alert last Saturday during a party convention at Chaguaramas and announced that screening of candidates will begin on April 7, with the San Fernando East constituency. Manning is the MP for San Fernando East.

Ramnath, who took the decision to move to the back bench in support of former political leader Basdeo Panday, has been the representative for Couva South for the past 24 years.

’Yes I will be seeking nomination from my constituency and I trust that the Executive of Couva South will nominate me. I think it is time Manning goes and I will be contributing towards that,’ Ramnath said.

Sources told the Express that Panday himself, who has represented the people of Couva North for the past 34 years, has no intention of stepping down

Since Kamla Persad-Bissessar took over as political leader of the party, following the January 24 party election, Panday, Ramnath as well as Opposition MP Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and Mickela Panday have taken the decision to not attend the party’s weekly meetings at Rienzi Complex, Couva.

’All MPs would want to continue to serve but it all depends on the party groups and the support they receive. Yes, I am ready and willing to continue representing the people,’ said Sharma.

’It all depends on the political leader, yes I am ready to serve,’ said Baksh.

’If I get the will of my people and the blessings of my party I will continue,’ said Moonilal.

Peters said, ’It is my sole intention to do that. I am working in my constituency all now. I have no doubt that my constituency would want me to represent them.’

The UNC has already screened some 200 persons for Local Government election. Persad-Bissessar said screening for the general election would also commence soon.

Persad-Bissessar left the country yesterday for Florida for a fund-raising dinner on Saturday and will return home after one week.

In a telephone interview, Panday said he believes Manning was bluffing with respect to a general election and is only trying to distract attention from the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) fiasco.

He said as of now he is enjoying life and making most of his free time by studying literature and music, but still keeps a close eye on the UNC.

’I can tell you one thing, I will not stand by and see the UNC be destroyed. After all it is the party to which I gave birth and 20 years of my blood, sweat and tears,’ he said.

Panday opined that the poor turn- out at Saturday’s Voice of the People rally at Saith Park was a reflection of Persad-Bissessar ability to lead.

’People are looking for change and they are not getting it, they are looking for leadership and they are not getting it, I think that is why it was so badly attended. I think people are very disappointed they want to see change and instead they are seeing people being pulled out from the political cemetery. And I believe that is bothering them as well as the fact that their chairman (Jack Warner) continues to refuse to account for millions given to the party,’ he said.

Panday and Ramnath  intends to remain part of the party

truetrini

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
 Election alert
Reginald Dumas
Saturday, April 3rd 2010

To hear Patrick Manning tell it, he was really bending over backwards to accommodate the Opposition. ’Since they feel that the time has come for a general election,’ he said, ’then I will agree with them. As a consequence of which I now direct the party to commence the nomination-of-candidates exercise for the general election immediately.’ Screening would begin in, where else, his constituency.

If my understanding of what I saw on the television news is correct, this announcement came right after his assertion to the effect that it was the people of T&T who were paramount. Why then at once forget the people and focus on Opposition wishes? And if the People’s National Movement is the democratic organisation he and others always proclaim it to be, how is it he, and he alone, could be ’direct(ing)’ the party? But let that pass.

Of course, Mr Manning may think he does have good reason to feel that the people, as a whole, want a general election. After all, ’the PNM,’ he told his convention, ’is better informed about what is taking place than any other political party’-and then he couldn’t resist adding-’or any journalist, for that matter’. He went on: ’We have been listening and staying in touch with the people. The PNM is ready.’

I don’t know which people Manning was talking about, but it’s certainly not the ones I’ve been meeting and hearing, especially in the last 18 months or so. Things have got to the point where I now receive communications from PNMites-till-dey-dead complaining bitterly about their Political Leader and the direction in which they say he is taking their party. They ask me to continue to write and speak out. Can you imagine? Reggie Dumas a surrogate for dissident PNMites?

Which alone tells you that, contrary to what Mr Manning appears to think, the PNM is not ready for any kind of national election. Yet I must agree with his decision, if not for the reasons he might have in mind.

Consider. The Government is under siege across the society: UDeCOTT/Calder Hart, Uff Commission, misspending of taxpayers’ money, property tax and Revenue Authority blues, crime, rising food costs and unemployment, declining gas reserves and prices, water shortages, Guanapo church, another deficit budget in the offing, traditional union rivals speaking as one, and so on.

Above all, the people see an indifference and a callousness that exacerbate the concerns they have about the society and their place in it. The government’s credibility has sunk so low, many people simply don’t believe Manning will actually call an election. (If he doesn’t, credibility will decline even further. Perhaps disappear.) And things only seem likely to get worse. Better have the election sooner rather than later.

It didn’t need to be this way. What Manning describes as his ’strong and determined leadership’ is nothing of the sort. Rather, it is a kind of misdirected and badly-informed authoritarianism founded on the unwavering conviction that the people have elected him to lead, and that leadership means decisions without consultation or discussion with the very people who put him there, as though omniscience has been automatically conferred on him by election and has become his private preserve. That, despite what he disingenuously says about himself, comes over as insensitivity and arrogance. And the virus has infected his ministerial mannequins and assorted satellites. No antidote seems available.

He declared the other day that the drug lords weren’t so much against the PNM as him. If the truth be told, this isn’t confined to alleged drug lords. It is now a national sentiment. In my view, if he leads his party into the promised electoral battle, the risk of defeat for the PNM, whatever the deficiencies of the Opposition, markedly increases. Among other things, voters will assume that a PNM victory in those circumstances would mean a sharp and irreversible rise, to the point of insufferableness, in the very arrogance and lack of sensitivity they now find so objectionable.

If Mr Manning were really to place his party’s interest above his, he would not only announce an election date, he would, at the same time, say that he would not be a candidate. For health reasons, he could explain. He won’t do that, of course, but I can still speculate briefly on a possible successor.

Keith Rowley, you might think, and, objectively, there is little doubt that Rowley possesses the best credentials. Problems would at once arise within the PNM, however: you would hear that Rowley is a Tobagonian; he is too turbulent; he challenged The Leader (a no-no for the FAB and others of a certain generation), etc. Already, a member of his constituency executive has been speaking as if Rowley’s rift with Manning is all Rowley’s fault. That attitude is precisely what you expect after an election alert is sounded-all hands on deck, fall in line behind the captain, discipline must prevail. Who knows, that may have been one of Manning’s calculations.

But if not Rowley, who? Well, what about the lady from Arima?

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »
hear nuh manning ruff eh.. he bawlin election so all dat talk bout "he private temple/church or whatever"  ppl wah call it guh stop hit di press. di freekin man smart . 
war
Black Lives Matter..

AirMan

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2010, 03:37:59 AM »

and when will this happen ? kamla just released her names for candidates of constituencies and I see mostly indians. i expect to see mostly black people too when Manning release his names later this weeks...the type of party you talking bout may have to evolve by itself and wont be PNM or UNC. maybe it will happen but not this generation

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2010, 05:23:56 AM »

and when will this happen ? kamla just released her names for candidates of constituencies and I see mostly indians. i expect to see mostly black people too when Manning release his names later this weeks...the type of party you talking bout may have to evolve by itself and wont be PNM or UNC. maybe it will happen but not this generation
So let me get this straight. yuh don't want manning BC of what ever reason, then yuh say kamla on the same indian head as panday, now yuh tellin meh how we may never see ah party of many colours with young vibrant minds tuh run the place, so wait, it sounds like there's no sane choices, so why even bother tuh get involved wid the politics?

ah will tell yuh what, if kamla wins this election, she will not be able to fix the crime situation, unless she's brave enough to change the constitution and amend the old law on the books and bring new laws in favor of the state.

the problem is not that the government DON'T want tuh fix the crime situation, the fact is they can't, and they would never be able tuh fix it if they don't fix the criminal laws!

to many criminals on the streets, and the system can't seem tuh put them away in order to inact change! the criminal laws in TNT has too many loop holes.it's seriously flawed and need fixing.

as for a diverse party with young vibrant minds? that is very possible, but the younger generation have to get more vocal and active if they expect ah brighter future.

the ppl of TNT need tuh put in SOME SERIOUS WORK!! nothing is worth having if yuh not willing tuh put in a lot of work! every body sitting down expecting other tuh make them safe and secure. allyuh think america became ah great nation just so??

american ppl endured extreme cold, extreme suffering, and heavy loss of life tuh get where they are today. our ppl need tuh step out that old laid back mold and do the same, and start being more active, instead of waiting for ah messiah.

if trinidadians stand up and stop being so complaisant, things will fall into place. after all, if we could party together then we could form the party that i described.

BTW, the PNM is ah very diverse party, there's ah little of every race in that party, and has always been. so don't say that manning will only chose black ppl, don't let the disdain of manning cause yuh to be unjust.

and another thing, the PNM iz surely the lesser of the two evils. i don't trust racist politics! it's ah recipe for ethnic unrest/cleansing.

1]; } ?>