April 25, 2024, 06:30:18 AM

Author Topic: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !  (Read 134633 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !
« Reply #810 on: May 10, 2010, 11:01:58 AM »
Proper-Gander or Trute

Even manning boy turn on him yes

A letter of comfort
Published: 10 May 2010
Dear Mr Manning: I was disappointed when you called upon Makandal Daaga to apologise to Christians for his having desecrated (your words) the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception during the Black Power revolt of 1970. I was even more disturbed when you castigated him for wearing a dashiki in these post-Black Power days although you wear African clothes on Emancipation Day, one of the few concessions that you make towards your Africanness. In your speech, you reminded Christians that what happened in the past is likely to happen in the future so that they ought to be on their guard against Daaga. Therefore, you requested that the leadership of the RC Church demand “a letter of comfort” from Mr Daaga to assuage their doubts and to ease their fears. Given Mr Daaga’s busy schedule, I thought I would provide you with a letter of comfort since you display a misunderstanding of our history, particularly when he is contributing to the national debate of healing and understanding.
As I listened to your remarks, I was tempted to remind you that the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church were used to enslave Africans in this land. As early as 1789, the governing authorities issued a Cedula which made every slave owner obligated to instruct his slaves in the principles of Roman Catholicism. It did not matter if the enslaved Africans were Igbo or Hausa and that they practised Yoruba or Islam that believed in monotheism and an afterlife. In 1797, when Ralph Abercromby captured Trinidad for the British, only the Roman Catholic Church was recognised by law and supported by the Government. After February 1797, every person landing in Trinidad had to become a Roman Catholic or be prevented from worshipping in any other church. Thank God, the Hindus hadn’t arrived on these shores yet. From 1817 to 1824, the British Government asked the churches to assist them in preparing enslaved Africans for emancipation.
An Order in Council of 1824 provided religious instructions for all the slaves and ordered the clergymen to deliver to the commandant of each quarter (something analogous to a county) the name and place of abode of every enslaved African who was instructed in the principles of religion. In 1834, when slavery was abolished, the Home Government gave lots of money to instruct the newly-freed Africans in the Christian religion. I cite these facts to let you know that the Roman Catholic and the other established churches played a large role in obliterating the religion of African peoples and contributing to our dispossession in this land. In 1848, Lord Harris was forced to affirm that “a race has been freed but a society has not been formed” and in 1970, at a special PNM convention, Eric Williams reminded us that T&T was founded on the European colonial values of racism—the assumed superiority of white over black.
At that convention, which I am sure you attended, Dr Williams asserted that “the most pernicious affect of colonialism…for the West Indies has been that many black people have ‘internalised’ this (European) value system and have come to believe in the deepest recesses of their minds that black is in fact inferior to white. Black dignity in the Caribbean, as elsewhere in the New World, will be achieved only if (a) sense of worth is established (among black people.)” It was this revulsion against presumptions of white superiority that led the followers of Black Power to call for the elimination of all manifestations of whiteness from their systems and their accompanying symbols. I am sure you would remember that the promotion of African cultural values was an inescapably part of that revolution of values that took place among black Trinidadians/Tobagonians. I do not know where you were when this revolution against the pernicious influences of whiteness was taking place but I know that the church began to take a deeper look into its participation in a value system that was detrimental to the liberation of the African person.
Therefore, to the degree that the doctrines and symbols of the Roman Catholic Church contributed to the devaluation of the lives of black people, it is to that degree that the purveyors of Black Power were correct to consider painting the entire church in black if such an action contributed to our spiritual reclamation. You are fond of telling the story that when you first went up for screening, Dr Williams asked you if you read Frantz Fanon’s The Wretched of the Earth. You would remember that Fanon talked about the cleansing nature of violence as a way to expunge the crippling psychological aspects that colonialism had upon the psyche of our people. While Dr Williams may not have agreed with painting all of the symbols of the Roman Catholic Church black, he would certainly have understood that such a desire on the part of any progressive black man of the time was perfectly reasonable.
It is commendable that such an action did not take place but to ask Mr Daaga to apologise for a gesture that spoke to the psychological cleansing of the wretched of this nation is to blaspheme against all that is best in our people. Unfortunately, it also demonstrates an ignorance of what we, as a people, had to overcome to get us where we are today. I hope that you give a second thought to your utterances. Perhaps you may have the courage to apologise to our brother for your ignoble suggestions. As Dr Williams understood only too well, we can only reconstruct our society if we understand where we were in the past; what we had to do to get where we are today; and the imperative that we honour those who helped us to see our condition, particularly at moments when we tend to be blinded by our eyes and become tone deaf by our rhetoric.
Selwyn R Cudjoe
Prof Cudjoe’s e-mail address is scudjoe@wellesley.edu

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 10, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »
Proper-gander or trute...?

I eh sure if i right...buh...ent de refurbished breakfast shed..hyatt etc was part of de waterfront?
And NAPA in POS.....dahs a UTT campus......i went de opening of it...up to dis week dey had someting in it.

I eh sure bout de others.

And somebody hadda let Manning realise dat de only time think should come before talk is in a dictionary.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 10, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »
Cudjoe hit de man ah intellectual roundhouse
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Cudjoe hit de man ah intellectual roundhouse

LOL
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 10, 2010, 04:07:05 PM »
I eh sure if i right...buh...ent de refurbished breakfast shed..hyatt etc was part of de waterfront?

The conference centre part of the project is still more or less empty (the tall buildings to the left of the Hyatt).  I think Min of Energy is there but not sure of any one else occupying those buildings.  I think they are/were supposed to be the International Financial Centre buildings...I stand to be corrected....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 10, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
"............ but to ask Mr Daaga to apologise for a gesture that spoke to the psychological cleansing of the wretched of this nation is to blaspheme against all that is best in our people. "
TELL DEM Prof Cudjoe

also, There is NO MISTAKE why that Religion is referred to as "The ROMAN Catholic Church"
They ARE the Roman Empire
simple.........
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:16:49 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 10, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »

The conference centre part of the project is still more or less empty (the tall buildings to the left of the Hyatt).  I think Min of Energy is there but not sure of any one else occupying those buildings.  I think they are/were supposed to be the International Financial Centre buildings...I stand to be corrected....
yeah, this is what understand too...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 10, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
If manning had 1% of dagga's conviction, he would be ah better PM an statesman! what dagga did for afro trinidadians is second only to tubal uriah buzz buttler. manning on the other hand have the inocent blood of thousands of trinbagonians who was gunned down under his watch!

shame on you mr manning!!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

AirMan

« Reply #818 on: May 10, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »

Video link http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid75997063001?bctid=84086249001

No political connection in Barataria fire
Monday 10th May, 2010

There is no political connection to yesterday's fire in which five members of a family lost their lives in Barataria.

Acting Commissioner of Police James Philbert made this disclosure today while speaking with reporters at the handing over ceremony of 60 police vehicles in VMCOTT.

There was no evidence to suggest that the fire in which a Barataria family perished in yesterday was remotely connected to the election campaign now in full swing.

Acting Commissioner James Philbert assured the media that they were looking at other aspects in the investigation.
A post mortem performed on the Dourgah family revealed that they died of smoke inhalation after their Barataria home burnt to the ground.
Investigators working closely on the case told C News they believe the fire might have been deliberately set.
Senior sources close to the investigation told C News that they are looking at a drug link in the suspected arson.
Meanwhile Acting Commissioner James Philbert says there seems to be conflicting information surfacing in regards to the death threat made to Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar.
The Acting Commissioner says these investigations will be pursued diligently in the coming days.
Sourcehttp://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=20634

AirMan

« Reply #819 on: May 10, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »

AirMan

« Reply #820 on: May 10, 2010, 10:22:51 PM »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 11, 2010, 06:24:23 AM »
It seems no PnM member wants to debate the Security of the People issue, crime and corruption....?

All I want to know is why Marlene so mean... It seems like she does go from mean....2 ugly... 2 jabba de hut man... I know she could be better than dat... she must deal with the fact that she is a big girl... trinis will all ways make fun of her...

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 11, 2010, 06:50:36 AM »
jack money spendin big boy...i seein kamla face on cricinfo.com and goal.com

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 11, 2010, 06:52:14 AM »

ah notice that on cricinfo yesterday...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 11, 2010, 06:59:38 AM »

you are kidding me...

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: May 11, 2010, 07:20:11 AM »

you are kidding me...

Nah..no joke...
Check during today's matches, you might see it again

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 11, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »

you are kidding me...

Nah..no joke...

they not advertising directly with those sites.   They just paying a company that has a lot of different sites as clients to show ads when they detect that the user is visiting from a location in T&T.   I've seen them on CNN and the NY Times if I remember correctly.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 11, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »
Manning really show a lack of balls in dissolving the parliament and his treatment of Dr Rowley...!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:47 AM »
'Doctor' Rowley's dilemma

By Michael Harris

Monday, May 10th 2010

Last Thursday evening I journeyed to Diego Martin to take in a political meeting. I am glad I did. It was simply the best political meeting I have witnessed or watched (on television) for the entire campaign season.

I refer, of course, to the launch by Dr Keith Rowley of his campaign to retain the constituency of Diego Martin West in the upcoming general elections. The meeting had almost everything: a large and supportive crowd; a platform of speakers who were articulate and dynamic and served up a feast of picong and passion; and something which I thought had disappeared from the firmament of election campaigning in the country - genuine political education.

The only missing ingredient was politics. Don’t get me wrong; there was plenty of a certain kind of politics. Both the candidate and supporting speaker, Fitzgerald Hinds, hurled boulder after boulder at key figures in the opposition coalition, and they did so without resorting to the character assassination, the nasty innuendoes and the racist insinuations which have characterised the platform of the main PNM campaign.

But the truth is that many, if not most, of the hundreds of people in the crowd that night, both PNM and non-PNM, did not go there to hear the politics of the general election. They went to hear what they hoped would be a strategic intervention in the political campaign for the leadership of the PNM and for a new leadership in the country as a whole. And if those people, at the end, left the meeting unsatisfied, in spite of the feast that was served, it was because they did not get what they came to hear.

They did get a taste of it. Former attorney general Bridgid Annisette-George gave an absolutely lucid and cogently constructed disquisition on the place of values and integrity in politics. In so doing she not only reached back to the finest traditions of the early PNM but in fact presented the statement of case, the essence of the indictment against Mr Manning and his leadership of the PNM and of the country.

It was a splendid opening for Dr Rowley but when he danced up to the limbo bar he chose to galay. He began by acknowledging that he knew people in the crowd had come from all over the country to hear what he had to say. But he averred that he could not understand what they expected him to say. He stressed that he was a PNM candidate, speaking on a PNM political platform, in a PNM constituency, in the middle of a general election.

Then he came directly to the heart of the matter. Anyone, he stated, who expected him in those circumstances to attack the political leader of the party had to be crazy. ’When a ship goes into battle,’ he shouted, ’that is no time to throw the captain overboard.’

His argument was a powerful one, powerfully delivered. But it was, for all of that, a colossal bramble. For anyone who has paid attention to Dr Rowley’s political strategy and tactics ever since he was fired from the cabinet by Mr Manning would know that, in his refusal to directly challenge Mr Manning on anything other than the most specific and circumscribed of issues, he has been consistent and it has nothing to do with the fact that the country is in the midst of a general election or that he is a backbencher talking to his government.

There is no question that Dr Rowley’s ambition is to replace Mr Manning as the political leader of the PNM. He has run against him before for the position and he has, particularly since he was fired, positioned himself as the leader of the opposition to Mr Manning in the party. The problem is that Dr Rowley does not want to challenge Mr Manning directly because he fears that any such challenge, particularly given Mr Manning’s vindictive and unscrupulous nature, could irredeemably fracture the party.

And therein lies Dr Rowley’s dilemma. For what Dr Rowley really wants is to inherit the party whole and intact and just as it is now under Mr Manning. He does not see any need for change in the party except in the position of political leader. But if nothing is wrong with the party then why should the party change its leader? There are no arguments which Dr Rowley can advance to support his contention that there is nothing wrong with the party but that he should be the ’Doctor’’ instead of Mr Manning. If the party is well then the ’Doctor’’ is the right one. But if the ’Doctor’’ is the wrong one then the party cannot be well. Dr Rowley cannot have it both ways. So he finds himself in a condition of stasis engendered by an ambition entirely unsupported by a commensurate vision. He is utterly paralysed.

What Dr Rowley does not see and cannot envision is that what is required of him is that he takes the opportunity presented by this general election to provide the leadership for a campaign which seeks to reconstruct the party and to take it to an entirely different level. If the PNM is to prevail it must seek to position itself once again as the national party of the country. There is simply no way to do that other than to pay whatever price is necessary today in order to ensure its ascendancy tomorrow.

Such a campaign platform therefore would spend very little time focusing on this general election except as an example of the depths of iniquity out of which we must rise. Such a campaign would not even have to challenge Mr Manning; it would simply pass him by, leaving him clinging to an empty shell. What such a campaign would do however is to elaborate, like Dr Williams did after 1971, ’New perspectives’ for the party and the society relevant to this time and place and the aspirations of all our people.

Any such new perspective would inevitably have to begin by repudiating lock, stock and barrel the conceptual edifice of maximum leadership, of which Mr Manning is the undoubted apotheosis, and which is what has brought the party and the country to these desperate times.

Unfortunately last Thursday, on a warm evening in Diego Martin, Dr Rowley did none of that. Instead, so entrenched is he in the syndrome of maximum leadership, that he found himself in the utterly absurd position of defending Patrick Manning.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 11, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
Rowley eh dotish. Even when he get fired.....he knew no party groups would support him openly to challenge Manning. Manning doing enough damage to heself with de dotishness he doing. In fact..i suspect that Manning..knowing full well that anytime this elections goes sour for the PNM..that he would automatically be replaced by Rowley.....tried to not have him as a candidate so he couldnt get leadership as well.

Open challenge go just weaken dem more...and dey go loss one of their few arguments against the coalition.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: May 11, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »

you are kidding me...

Nah..no joke...

they not advertising directly with those sites.   They just paying a company that has a lot of different sites as clients to show ads when they detect that the user is visiting from a location in T&T.   I've seen them on CNN and the NY Times if I remember correctly.

hmmm

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: May 12, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »
Imbert wants Kamla’s views on abortion

http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/05/12/imbert-wants-kamla-s-views-abortion

Works and Transport Minister Colm Imbert has called on UNC political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar to tell the public in her next meeting whether she is for or against abortion.

This was met with loud cheers and applause from the supporters who packed the Princes Town Triangle for the PNM political meeting on Monday. Imbert alleged that Persad-Bissessar was “keeping the company” of people who were promoting abortion and he saw the need to demand her views on the issue.

“Does Kamla stand for abortion? Is she promoting abortion?” he asked. “I want to know, because I see she is keeping the company of people who are promoting abortion. “If we put God out of our thoughts, and by some mistake Kamla Persad-Bissessar becomes prime minister, will she legalise abortion?” Imbert said the PNM’s stance on the issue was clear in that it valued life and did not support abortion. “I can say on this platform tonight the PNM is pro life. We promote life. We don’t promote death,” he said.

Hmmmmmmmm, ah wonder why he question her?
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: May 12, 2010, 05:18:19 AM »
The attempt by Manning to cozy up to the Catholics apparently eh wuk so I guess dey trying a next tactic.

I heard Kamla say some time late last year during the internal elections campaign that issues such as abortion and gay rights are things that should be decided on by the people through referendum...

On another note, ah hear she tear up the PNM Manifesto on the platform last night??   :-\  Not sure how that helps.....where yours Kamla??....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: May 12, 2010, 07:41:10 AM »
This election is getting more and more ridiculous....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 12, 2010, 08:49:44 AM »
ah d pnm..........ah republican party black people does vote for................as for d unc well.................... ??? ??? I reall doh know nah..................I seein sam analogy but ah seeing two rotten ass branch not one.................some old deal...............d people lose
I pity the fool....

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 12, 2010, 09:37:37 AM »

all yuh feel only Jack could do the football thing... Go Patrick  :beermug:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: May 12, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
toe poke
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: May 12, 2010, 10:14:02 AM »
toe poke

you ent find he look lil clumsy.........like ah infant doin it for d first time
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 12, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
toe poke

you ent find he look lil clumsy.........like ah infant doin it for d first time

ooooohhhhh guuuuudddd!!!.....Lefty!!!!   I had the same thought but eh say nutten cuz it might look like is just because mih eh like him...... De man look like he never had boy days......that might explain a lot.... :devil: ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 12, 2010, 03:06:54 PM »

it on all the tech sites i visiting too   :'(
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>