April 25, 2024, 01:19:46 AM

Author Topic: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !  (Read 134611 times)

truetrini

Re: GENERAL ELECTIONS COMING SOON IN 2010 !
« Reply #930 on: May 16, 2010, 11:03:53 PM »
why is that funny?  It could mean Premraj Mohan too, even Peter Major, what about Pauline Marcelle? 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:21:08 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 17, 2010, 05:58:08 AM »
Mr. Manning do you have any links to that church being built in Guanapo?  Yes or No??  Real simple.

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 17, 2010, 06:40:06 AM »
allyuh aint tell meh nutten!!! i now see Travis Mulraine is a candidate for d NNV...he still playin ball/coachin?

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 17, 2010, 06:45:10 AM »
Mr. Manning do you have any links to that church being built in Guanapo?  Yes or No??  Real simple.

personally i doh care whether he have links or not..what i care about is whether state funds is being used.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 17, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »

personally i doh care whether he have links or not..what i care about is whether state funds is being used.

Man doh be a Gary Hunt nah... yuh eh dat chupid.... if manning have links obviously it have state funds involved...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:36:37 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 17, 2010, 07:26:11 AM »

ditto on dat but, I would guess yes given d evasiveness wit which he chooses to treat the issue

allyuh aint tell meh nutten!!! i now see Travis Mulraine is a candidate for d NNV...he still playin ball/coachin?

dat party gives d hebby jebbies :'( seriously, yuh ent find weird how relatively quiet dem is ???
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:16 AM »

He said initially that state lands, not money, were given for the church to be built.  I can't remember if he denied UDeCOTT's involvement but I think either Nunez-Teshiera or Dick-Forde denied that aspect of it.
Now we are seeing some kind of link to Mr. Hart and Mr. Manning is trying to make it now look like it was a personal project of Mr. Hart's.

I didn't see the interview with Mr. Manning last night, but from reading reactions on Facebook last night and listening to Tony and Dale this morning, I get the impression he has not definitively laid to rest questions over the church.  The fancy footwork he tried last kinda reminding of the "there is no price for National Pride" BS Gary tried to pull on we....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #937 on: May 17, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »
Did he deny giving instructions to an architect ? Or did he just say PM could mean project manager ?

truetrini

« Reply #938 on: May 17, 2010, 07:53:37 AM »

If allyuh take time and read, de man say he DID have connections as one of his portfolios is Ecclesiastical Affairs or  someting or odder....he also said several times that NO STATE funds were used in its construction  so if he lying he on record MANY times

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 17, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »
Trinidad elections: A Herald interview with Winston Dookeran
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/16/1632983/trinidad-elections-a-herald-interview.html

Winston Dookeran, political leader of the Congress of the People, is part of the opposition coalition seeking to unseat Prime Minister Patrick Manning of Trinidad and Tobago in May 24 elections. Dookeran, former Governor of the Trinidad and Tobago Central Bank, discussed local and international issues in a recent interview with Miami Herald World Editor John Yearwood. Here are excerpts:

Q: There are some who would argue that the Trinidad economy is doing well and that Prime Minister Patrick Manning has spent money to increase the country's profile. Is that not a good thing?

A: It is, provided that there are returns for that increased profile. Increased profile in its own right is no real economic benefit to the country. The economy is strong but it is fragile and much more susceptible to external developments than it has ever been. We have a strong economy but weak economic future.

Q: Many economies in the region are in dire straits. How much credit do you think Manning deserves when so many other regional leaders were not as successful?

A: I don't really thing it was an issue of a government policy as it was an issue of the energy sector growth. The energy sector was supposed to drive the development of the country. It has done no such thing.

Q: If the your People's Coalition had been in power at the time of the negotiations for Petrocaribe, under which Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez offered oil at favorable rates to Caribbean countries, would you have shared Manning's ambivalence?

A: Petrocaribe was a political intervention on the part of President Chávez. It was sold as economic aid to support the smaller islands. Mr. Manning did not support it and we would not have supported it in its political dimension. What we have argured is that we must build a business relationship with Venezuela as opposed to falling into the political trap of Venezuela. We need to build a proper business relationship.

Q: Despite opposition to Petrocaribe, Trinidad still has good relations with Venezuela. Is that something you would continue?

A: There's good relations in a sense that there is a kind of ignore each other. In that sense, it's good. But it's not a good relationship in terms of collaboration.

Q: How would the opposition change that if elected?

A: You really have to sit down with the Venezuelan government and discuss some of the thorny issues with respect to gas exploration and gas boundaries. Those are difficult issues but they have to be addressed so that you don't fall into an ideological trap.

Q: Do you anticipate any changes in the country's relationship with the United States?

A: I think the dependence on the United States will have to be reduced by virtue of exploring new markets in Latin America. But I don't see any fundamental shifts in our relationship. Certainly not any ideological shift. China is also entering the region. In the past you could have ignored that but you can't now. I see that as something we'll have to tackle. We have to decide what is in the economic interests of Trinidad and Tobago and design a bilateral relationship with whoever they may be to achieve those vital economic interests.

Q: Trinidad has good relations with Cuba. Any changes anticipated under a People's Coalition administration?

A: We would want to deepen that. Trinidad has always been a friend of Cuba.

Q: What's your position on lifting the Organization of American States suspension of Honduras?

A: My only two concerns is the question of the Democratic ideals being met and the other one is human rights. Other than that, I think the OAS should readmit Honduras.

Q: What role do you expect the Trinidad Diaspora to play in years ahead?

A: The Trinidad Diaspora doesn't have the same sense of Diasporic connection as say, Jamaica. Why that has happened, I don't know. I think there's more national commitment in Jamaica than you see here in Trinidad. That is not to say they're not interested. They're not interested enough to become part of the process. There's another issue of how many Diasporas you have. For example, there's the Indian Diaspora, which operates out of New York.

Q: There is a lot of talk in the campaign about corruption on both sides. Do the questions surrounding the UNC chairman Jack Warner, a FIFA soccer executive, concern you?

A: It does concern me. We have to adhere to the rule of law. Mere allegations do not force us to take action. In the world of politics, you never know what is the motivating factor. We're caught between the ideals of a clean government and the maintenance of the rule of law. We're watching what has been said about Mr. Warner very closely. If there's any validity to those claims, it would be a matter of major concern. I think it should be closely watched, but we should not take preemptive action until it is determined that someone is guilty.

Q: The allegation that he secured a lucrative fast-food and beverage soccer contract for his son has been around for a while.

A: That's why I don't understand why it has not been dealt with.

Q: Is this something you've talked to UNC leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar about?

A: We haven't discussed this but we've talked about the need to have a level of integrity. A big part of the protocol for the People's partnership has to do with the values of governance and the adherence of those values of governance.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #940 on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »
PM= Project Manager , Prime Minister, Patrick Manning they all begin with  PM and i believe they are all the same person .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 18, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »

Q: There is a lot of talk in the campaign about corruption on both sides. Do the questions surrounding the UNC chairman Jack Warner, a FIFA soccer executive, concern you?

A: It does concern me. We have to adhere to the rule of law. Mere allegations do not force us to take action. In the world of politics, you never know what is the motivating factor. We're caught between the ideals of a clean government and the maintenance of the rule of law. We're watching what has been said about Mr. Warner very closely. If there's any validity to those claims, it would be a matter of major concern. I think it should be closely watched, but we should not take preemptive action until it is determined that someone is guilty.

Q: The allegation that he secured a lucrative fast-food and beverage soccer contract for his son has been around for a while.

A: We haven't discussed this but we've talked about the need to have a level of integrity. A big part of the protocol for the People's partnership has to do with the values of governance and the adherence of those values of governance.

DESPERATION eh weary
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 18, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »
Alleged church designer goes on sick leave
Kimberly Mackhan
Published: 18 May 2010

http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2010/05/18/alleged-church-designer-goes-sick-leave

Stephen Mendes would not be returning to work at Design Collaborative Associates Limited (DCAL) for “a long, long time,” an official at the firm said yesterday. Another DCAL official explained that Mendes was away from the office on sick leave. “He is on sick leave. I have no idea when he will be back in office,” she said. The Guardian was also unable to contact Mendes at his Westmoorings home. A woman answering his phone at home was unwilling to speak about Mendes’ alleged involvement in designing a mega-church in the Heights of Guanapo

Mendes has not come forward to either dismiss or acknowledge allegations in the public domain about Prime Minister Patrick Manning’s alleged controversial involvement in the construction of the Lighthouse of the Lord Jesus Christ Church. Directors of Lighthouse of the Lord Jesus Christ Church at the Heights include Julianna Pena-Devonish, spiritual adviser to the Prime Minister. Manning has admitted to visiting the site of the church more than a year before Cabinet approval was given for the grant of State land for its construction. In 1976, Mendes established an associate DCAL office in Trinidad and was listed at its principal director.

His biography on the Trinidad and Tobago Institute of Architects (TTIA) Web site lists him to be the project director of the joint DCAL, Genivar and Hyder Consulting planning study for the redevelopment of the 100 acres of the waterfront of Port-of-Spain.
When the Guardian visited DCAL’s office at Ellerslie Plaza, Maraval, yesterday afternoon, an official said: “None of them (the directors) are here. We do not have directors anymore. That is as plainly as I can put it.” She redirected questions to another DCAL director, Christopher Bent. “(You can speak with) our supervisor (Christopher Bent) but he went out to a meeting. I doubt he is coming back today. They say he may not be back today,” she said. Bent was also said to be an architect and urban designer with Genivar.

The report of the Commission of Enquiry into Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (Udecott) and the local construction sector raised several concerns about Udecott’s contracts to Genivar. “It is clearly arguable that the regular employment of one firm (Genivar) as project manager was an abuse of the provision of the 1998 rules permitting sole selection,” the report said. The report added: “This is not to suggest the choice of Genivar was in any way inappropriate to the tasks to be undertaken. “(But Genivar’s) regular employment by Udecott raises issues of fair competition and openness as well as the obvious need for effective competition.”

When asked when Mendes would return, a DCAL official said: “Mr Mendes is not here in the office and would not be here for a long, long time.” Questioned about how long was “a long, long time,” she responded: “We have no idea.” When asked whether he was not in the country, she declined to comment. Over the weekend, Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar produced documents claiming to establish connections between the Prime Minister and former Udecott executive chairman Calder Hart in the design and construction of the Lighthouse of the Lord Jesus Christ Church at the Heights of Guanapo. Persad-Bissessar also produced documents showing that Shanghai Construction was building the church and that Udecott was the client.

They included a letter, dated May 2, 2006, from Mendes to Hart. Mendes was quoted in the letter as indicating that he had finished and submitted the architectural and engineering drawings for the church. He wrote: “The structural drawings developed to date are not in accordance with the recent changes made to the architectural drawings as a result of recent PM’s requests. Additionally, they need to be developed in far greater detail.” He also wrote: “Additionally, the consultants need to develop and finalise their general arrangement drawings due to the recent changes called for by the PM, including those related to the residential component appended to the church.”

-------------------------------------------------------
what kind ah answers is that  ??? ::)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 18, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »
Where the prophetess??  Ever since this bachanal break out we never see or hear from she??.... :-\

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 18, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »

DESPERATION eh weary

More desperation as the days get closer.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

AirMan

« Reply #945 on: May 18, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »
Alleged church designer goes on sick leave
Kimberly Mackhan
Published: 18 May 2010

http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2010/05/18/alleged-church-designer-goes-sick-leave

Stephen Mendes would not be returning to work at Design Collaborative Associates Limited (DCAL) for “a long, long time,” an official at the firm said yesterday. Another DCAL official explained that Mendes was away from the office on sick leave. “He is on sick leave. I have no idea when he will be back in office,” she said. The Guardian was also unable to contact Mendes at his Westmoorings home. A woman answering his phone at home was unwilling to speak about Mendes’ alleged involvement in designing a mega-church in the Heights of Guanapo

Mendes has not come forward to either dismiss or acknowledge allegations in the public domain about Prime Minister Patrick Manning’s alleged controversial involvement in the construction of the Lighthouse of the Lord Jesus Christ Church. Directors of Lighthouse of the Lord Jesus Christ Church at the Heights include Julianna Pena-Devonish, spiritual adviser to the Prime Minister. Manning has admitted to visiting the site of the church more than a year before Cabinet approval was given for the grant of State land for its construction. In 1976, Mendes established an associate DCAL office in Trinidad and was listed at its principal director.

His biography on the Trinidad and Tobago Institute of Architects (TTIA) Web site lists him to be the project director of the joint DCAL, Genivar and Hyder Consulting planning study for the redevelopment of the 100 acres of the waterfront of Port-of-Spain.
When the Guardian visited DCAL’s office at Ellerslie Plaza, Maraval, yesterday afternoon, an official said: “None of them (the directors) are here. We do not have directors anymore. That is as plainly as I can put it.” She redirected questions to another DCAL director, Christopher Bent. “(You can speak with) our supervisor (Christopher Bent) but he went out to a meeting. I doubt he is coming back today. They say he may not be back today,” she said. Bent was also said to be an architect and urban designer with Genivar.

The report of the Commission of Enquiry into Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (Udecott) and the local construction sector raised several concerns about Udecott’s contracts to Genivar. “It is clearly arguable that the regular employment of one firm (Genivar) as project manager was an abuse of the provision of the 1998 rules permitting sole selection,” the report said. The report added: “This is not to suggest the choice of Genivar was in any way inappropriate to the tasks to be undertaken. “(But Genivar’s) regular employment by Udecott raises issues of fair competition and openness as well as the obvious need for effective competition.”

When asked when Mendes would return, a DCAL official said: “Mr Mendes is not here in the office and would not be here for a long, long time.” Questioned about how long was “a long, long time,” she responded: “We have no idea.” When asked whether he was not in the country, she declined to comment. Over the weekend, Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar produced documents claiming to establish connections between the Prime Minister and former Udecott executive chairman Calder Hart in the design and construction of the Lighthouse of the Lord Jesus Christ Church at the Heights of Guanapo. Persad-Bissessar also produced documents showing that Shanghai Construction was building the church and that Udecott was the client.

They included a letter, dated May 2, 2006, from Mendes to Hart. Mendes was quoted in the letter as indicating that he had finished and submitted the architectural and engineering drawings for the church. He wrote: “The structural drawings developed to date are not in accordance with the recent changes made to the architectural drawings as a result of recent PM’s requests. Additionally, they need to be developed in far greater detail.” He also wrote: “Additionally, the consultants need to develop and finalise their general arrangement drawings due to the recent changes called for by the PM, including those related to the residential component appended to the church.”

-------------------------------------------------------
what kind ah answers is that  ??? ::)

most people not surprised

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 18, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
LOOK OUT JACK

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ig7hMFKSy6U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ig7hMFKSy6U</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 18, 2010, 08:35:44 PM »
ay is ONE disciple eh kamla

AirMan

« Reply #948 on: May 18, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »
Pretty much.

AirMan

« Reply #950 on: May 20, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »

link http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/05/20/pay-cuts-only-ministers-kamla

Pay cuts only for Ministers—Kamla
Cori Baynes
Published: 20 May 2010

Cori Baynes
The proposed pay cuts which UNC political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar plans to impose should the People’s Partnership be victorious at the polls would not affect public servants.

Persad-Bissessar made the announcement yesterday during the launch yesterday of the People’s Partnership’s Errol Mc Lead’s (candidate for Pointe-a-Pierre) Sports and Cultural Foundation at the recreation grounds at Battoo Avenue, Marabella. As part of the People’s Partnership’s manifesto, Persad-Bissessar pledged to give TT$100 million to the establishment of a Life Fund which would be set up to assist children who are in need of medical treatment for serious ailments.

On Tuesday, during a political meeting at St Joseph, she further announced her plans to cut the pay of every Cabinet Minister by five per cent and her own by ten per cent which would go into the fund. Speaking to the crowd on hand for yesterday’s launch, Persad-Bissessar reassured the public they should not be afraid of her intentions. She said: “I want to make it very clear that those pay cuts will not impact on public servants. It is not our intention to cut the pay of public servants. “Be not afraid. We will cut the pay of the ministers and of the Prime Minister to give to the children,” she said.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #951 on: May 20, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »

link http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/05/20/pay-cuts-only-ministers-kamla

Pay cuts only for Ministers—Kamla
Cori Baynes
Published: 20 May 2010

Cori Baynes
The proposed pay cuts which UNC political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar plans to impose should the People’s Partnership be victorious at the polls would not affect public servants.

Persad-Bissessar made the announcement yesterday during the launch yesterday of the People’s Partnership’s Errol Mc Lead’s (candidate for Pointe-a-Pierre) Sports and Cultural Foundation at the recreation grounds at Battoo Avenue, Marabella. As part of the People’s Partnership’s manifesto, Persad-Bissessar pledged to give TT$100 million to the establishment of a Life Fund which would be set up to assist children who are in need of medical treatment for serious ailments.

On Tuesday, during a political meeting at St Joseph, she further announced her plans to cut the pay of every Cabinet Minister by five per cent and her own by ten per cent which would go into the fund. Speaking to the crowd on hand for yesterday’s launch, Persad-Bissessar reassured the public they should not be afraid of her intentions. She said: “I want to make it very clear that those pay cuts will not impact on public servants. It is not our intention to cut the pay of public servants. “Be not afraid. We will cut the pay of the ministers and of the Prime Minister to give to the children,” she said.

And also Kams put the money you planning to spend for the laptops towards that fund. That idea is useless especially when you done know, half them children will be on porn site and facebook. Furthermore you also paying for internet and wifi for those families who cyah afford that too?  When it mash up or have to upgrade, who paying for that? Warner?

Sen' dey rass to dey damn library or dey school computer lab if they want to use computer to do research.
You encouraging more shit, man!!

AirMan

« Reply #952 on: May 20, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »

link http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161671286&weba=NWSOpinion

My own instructions
Andy Johnson
Thursday, May 20th 2010

CALLING in on the TV6 Morning Edition programme two weeks ago, a regular caller from Cocorite, a dyed-in-the-balisier PNM supporter, issued a declaration which I took to be highly insulting. He said he had information that in the conduct of my role and function on the programme, I was taking instructions from Rienzi Complex.

Not that the accusation itself was a problem for me. What was insulting was that someone following the work I’ve been doing over all these years-in print, on radio and on television-would accept somebody’s propaganda that to hold an opinion on anything I would have to ’take instructions’ from anyone.

For the benefit of those who care to listen, the views I may express anywhere, and at anytime, are usually my own.

Of even greater benefit, perhaps, would be for me to share some of my own political philosophy, for those who continue to speculate as to where persons like me stand, four days before the election on May 24.

Let it be known that I take positions on issues, unreserved, most of the time, but not for or against political parties. For a partial reading of where I stand on the basis of which anyone would be free to deduce which party gets my support, consider the following.

Using the contentious Crowne Plaza Accord of 2001 as an entry point, my understanding of it was that former President Robinson did no wrong in calling on Patrick Manning to form the government at the time. In the year before that I had also supported Mr Robinson’s attempt to block Basdeo Panday’s move to pack the Senate with seven persons who had faced the polls and lost.

With the new government in place in 2002, I supported the effort to have the country abandon the Privy Council and accept the Caribbean Court of Justice as our final court of appeal. Without question, the Prime Minister’s policy of reaching out across the region to help countries hit by natural disasters over the last six years will also go down in the ’Yes’ column.

Almost blindly, my vote would be cast in favour of the moves for closer economic and political union with the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States. Equally, I rooted for this country’s candidacy as the headquarters of the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA), and was among the last to let go of the idea, long after it became apparent that it was dead. I strongly oppose PetroCaribe and take issue with those Caricom states who broke sub-regional ranks to sign up for it, and those who see ALBA as an alternative to the FTAA.

But the government’s insistence on establishing an aluminium smelter industry in Trinidad and Tobago, in defiance of the substantial and passionate opposition, is another matter altogether.

Tying the political support of ordinary citizens to their need for basic employment is objectionable, and for party operatives to deny that this has been an entrenched element of the politics of coercion is behaviour to be condemned in the strongest possible terms.
Large numbers of voters in Trinidad and Tobago think more of having unprotected sex than they do about which party they feel confident enough to support. The politics of fear and scare tactics continues to spread, with voters made to feel that their very lives depend on what they choose to do in the polling booth.

The fact that we are going back to the polls two and a half years before the scheduled time is lost on many citizens who are being falsely encouraged to think that what is done on May 24 cannot be undone. But the fact that a Prime Minister who enjoyed an 11-seat advantage in Parliament felt unable to govern after a mere two years in office speaks loudly to the power which resides in the hands of ordinary people in the country.
Placing obstacles in the way of popular expression, all in an attempt to present a false image of contentment to visiting foreign leaders and their delegations, is repression in action.

May 24 is no ’freedom day’, no ’liberation day’, as one side in the contest is encouraging voters to see it. But alternatively, the idea of one side, one individual, being able to determine when and how we exercise this most critical option in our basket of democratic options ought to be a thing of the past.

This itself is as real an impediment to national progress and development as anything else.

Figure out, if you can, which side I’m on, and from where my ’instructions’ come.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 20, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »
lord they saying Kamala not capable and using Warner corruption against her

AirMan

« Reply #954 on: May 20, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »

they saying anything about Manning  ?..let me find it for you lol

Offline Trinione

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 20, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »

Makes sense to me. How can you have a crook like Warner in your party if you serious about integrity??! I cant vote for that ... (or for Manning either btw)

AirMan

« Reply #956 on: May 20, 2010, 07:10:15 PM »
link http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/nart?id=161671360&weba=NWSNews

...Citizens to pay more for healthcare
-Aabida Allaham
Thursday, May 20th 2010

ONCE the National Health Service (NHS) comes into effect, people will have to pay more for health care, according to information obtained by the Express.

The move would be necessary in order for the Government to facilitate a much better healthcare service. The extra charge is expected to be obtained via the health surcharge many working people already pay, the Express learned. However, the surcharge is expected to increase by approximately eight per cent.

At present, Health Surcharge is based on a fixed figure of $8.25 and is based on the number of Mondays each month has. For example, the month of May has five Mondays, therefore it will be 5 x $8.25 for a total of $41.25 But if it increases by the estimated eight per cent, the fixed figure could move to $8.91, which means for the same month, workers just might have to pay $44.55.

Health Minister Jerry Narace said the NHS will facilitate access to health care services in an equitable, efficient manner and will also provide for a sustainable means of financing Trinidad and Tobago’s health care services.

’Under the NHS, citizens will have access to a basic basket of health care services, and will also have choice of provider, public or private, and with all these things in place, you might very well get up one day and decide that public health care is better,’ he said.

Narace was addressing an audience gathered at the Morvant Health Centre for the formal opening ceremony yesterday.

The minister added that Cabinet had already approved the draft policy for the NHS, under which a $250 million fund for sick children was created, and it will allow access to medical treatment overseas not only by children, but by patients of all ages in need of expensive tertiary health care services abroad.

’It will pool funds through Government subvention, of course, and also through public-private partnerships and other private donations,’ he said.

1]; } ?>