March 28, 2024, 03:10:13 AM

Author Topic: Sancho urges focus on 2018 campaign.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sancho urges focus on 2018 campaign.
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:50:13 AM »
Sancho urges focus on 2018 campaign.
By Stephon Nicholas (Newsday).

FORMER “Soca Warriors” defender, Brent Sancho, is calling for the immediate planning of the 2018 World Cup campaign following the national team’s disappointing 2-1 defeat to Guyana on Saturday which ended the Road to Brazil 2014.

Sancho, a member of the team that created history by qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in 2006, says a structured programme must be put in place and stuck with.

And with TT being eliminated at their very first hurdle, this country must wait four years before qualification kicks off for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

“Without doubt we have to start planning for 2018. We can’t go for six months without football like what we did leading up to this campaign,” Sancho said. The North East Stars CEO was referring to TT’s nine-month inactivity following their elimination from the Digicel Caribbean Cup in November, 2010.

The “Warriors” next match was a friendly against India just over a week before their first World Cup qualifier against Bermuda on September 2, 2011. “We have to put a long term programme in place.

We must put together a coaching staff that could take us there (World Cup). We can’t wait until the last minute to hire a top class coach and fire them when they fail. We have to stop with this knee-jerk reaction,” he declared.

And with TT embarrassingly failing to qualify for the 2009 and 2011 Gold Cups as well as the 2010 World Cup, Sancho called for a complete overhaul of local football which he says is in need of a fresh injection of blood and ideas.

“Football needs a revamp from pillar to post. How many wake up calls do we need? We’re at the lowest of the low and need wholesale changes. We have to creep before we walk; we have to start winning in the CFU (Caribbean Football Union).

We’re nowhere close to the top four in the Caribbean so we need to climb the Caribbean standings first,” he explained.

The ex-Dundee FC player, who travelled to Guyana to witness the match, says he is not pleased with what he saw from some of the players on the field.

“The scary thing is to see that pride and passion that comes form playing for your country not there. You could have seen it (passion) among the Guyanese. I don’t want to point any fingers at anyone but football is not just about talent but about playing with that pride and determination.

It has nothing to do with tactics, Guyana just wanted it more. I’m not questioning the (TT) guys’ abilities but you could have seen it meant a lot more to Guyana. That stadium was jam packed and the people were football crazy,” he observed.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sancho urges focus on 2018 campaign.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:44:34 AM »
Anil talkin at 2 so maybe he lauchin 2018 2day
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
re _ introduce the classics ! oh what memories.. thats when the best trini talent were on display , for all who may or may not remember am talking about the north /south classics / east/ and tobago/  all of trinbago best players on show to display their godgiven skills , . there are those  forumites who maybe too young  to remember or recall that period .. so i'll just throw out a few names  i had the privilege of seeing then  at the famous queens park oval.. here goes some of trini premier players at the time.e,g...the archibald brothers, warren archibald. /.milton archibald/steve david/everard cummings/nobbie phillips./ulric 'buggy haynes. /leo (twinkletoes) brewster/the douglas brothers (keith & tony) leroy de leon,/ henry quanzie/ah hate to call he name but i'll give him kudos alvin corneal / >>>ellis sadaphal/the indian<<< was  skillful for days/ the la forests ron& len/ gerald figeroux oh gosh ah better stop there why the ttff stop the classic i do not know to this day,,, but oh chit i never use to miss dems games oh let me squeeze another name can't leave him out at all noel sammy llewelyn!!!! those games were  huge features towards the end of the regular season if i may recall but lawd i cannot forget dem days bring back the classics  ... sancho . gally and others re introduce bring it back the competition was fierce then ...  give the fans something good to remember for years to come   there many other players i left out  but boy dem days were special just recalling it ah was a lil youth then but can;t forget !!!!!!!!, the classics bring it back  who recall those times can add their bit and the crowds were in large numbers ... am out for now. ah tempted to add a few more names but nah i will leave it for someone else,,,

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:31:36 PM »
I thought Sancho was smarter than that.

But he fallin into de same trap.

Making World Cup finals is not the goal.

Having a sustainable development program from primary to senior level should be the goal.  Once that's in place, everything else, including World Cup Finals will fall into place.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »

Having a sustainable development program from primary to senior level should be the goal.  Once that's in place, everything else, including World Cup Finals will fall into place.

sense. :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »

sense. :beermug:

Don't worry, he reads the forum so will correct that statement soon!!

Sancho for new TTFF president after the overhaul!!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »

In full agreement. We have to get off this World Cup hamster wheel and stop chasing our tails. Long term plan yes. But execute consistently on critical short term plans along the way. Start screening for an U-13, U-15 and U-17 and U-20 teams EARLY-'O'-CLOCK and have them exposed to mid-tier regional players like Haiti, El-Salvador, Jamaica within 6 months. Within a year do what is neccessary to have them ready to perform creditably against the likes of Honduras, Panama, the U.S. But Sancho was right tho. We are doomed without a pillar to post cleansing of adminsitration. This must happen wholesale before the ministry of sport even give ttff one red cent more.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »

How is he falling into the trap? from the article, he was asked about WC qualification, so he answered that.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »

How is he falling into the trap? from the article, he was asked about WC qualification, so he answered that.

If indeed he was asked about WC qualification (I didn't see that anywhere so I obviously missed it), he could simply have said WC qualifying is not a priority at this time, and then provide his reasons for saying so.

Instead, he talkin about planning for WC 2018 from now.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:37:55 AM »
Palos - lemme play devils advocate here about your statement that thw world cup is not the be all and end all of football.
You mentioned having a sustainable program is the priority and everything else will fall into place.

In concacaf, this is not proven outside of the top 3 teams.
Panama is a classic example - they have qualified for 4 U-20 World Cups since 2003 and also the last U17 tournament. Yet for some reason they always come up short in qualifying. And for some strange reason, they do pretty well at the Gold Cups. Go figure. Canada to a lesser degree, they have an excellent developmental program, but that cannot be transitioned into senior mens WCQ...
The point is having a good sustainable program is an excellent idea, IN THEORY, but doesnt necessarily mean you will be successful.
If you were to ask the average football supporter in the world today, more people will know about Trinidad and Tobago rather than Canada or Panama as a football country. We also have more players who have stood out at club level.
I believe the reason we seem to be consistently competitive (at least pre - 2008) is because we produce exceptional players. That has appeared to dry up recently. When last we produce a Jerren Nixon or Arnold Dwarika?
So while I not bashing your idea of sustainable development, dont assume just having a program will mean automatic success. I think we definitely need something though to give us hope.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 09:05:04 AM »
The primary goal of Trinidad football should be to develop as many players as possible who are capable of playing in as many top flight clubs around the world. That can be a realistic and quantifiable goal, you cannot consistantly try to persue world cup qualifying in a 4 year cycle as have been done in the past. The other area of development that is even more vital is the coaching. You must have better coaches who are educating themselves at the highest levels globally in order to improve the depth of the talent pool. Taking a course in Trinidad is not sufficent for a coaches development, beacuse the game has to be observed through many different lenses and perspectives. Our coaches have to get off the island and out of their little "know it all" comfort zone and learn from other people from around the football world; they'll discover some different philosophy and methodology abouth coaching and player development as well as discover that they are doing some of the same things that others are doing. In a recent Academy Director's Course I learned that Spain has more qualified coaches at the highest levels ( UEFA B, A & Pro license) than any other country in the world and the higher the badge the more Spain has. This was suprising as not many of these courses are offered in Spain...there coaches are going out of their country to take courses. Trinidad system of selection for opportunities also has to be disbanded, anyone who wants to take a course should be able to register once they meet the course level pre -requisits...stop labeling and discrediting and alienating other coaches from opportunities to make a contribution because they are not in your inner circle! Qualifying for the World Cup will be a by product of a proper sustainable development system of coaches and players.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:29 AM »
Trin is right!. The qualify of players are not the same as before. We have less pros in Europe and mainly pros in the MLS (who not really making a mark), in the A League, a couple in the Championship and a few others in the average leagues in Europe. Right now, Trinidad does NOT have a top midfielder at the moment. There is NOBODY on that current team, who can produce the "element of suprise", who can step it up, like a Russell Latapy, Dwarika, Yorke, Nakhid etc. The standard has drop dramstically!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One way is to start from the youths. The level of coaching has to be raised from the YOUTH level. Even the school level and the intercol level is POOR! The players are weak, poor technically and they are poorly coached. It's huge overhaul and it will take years to rebuild. I agree with Gally Cummings, even tho most people would not agree. We should rebuild our football structure locally first, concentrate on that for the next 2 yrs, rebuild the club football, the youth football. The under 23 team should be the focus of the senior team games. NO international break should pass and we not play against someone. Forget the result. Just get those guys to get the exposure!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the mean time, BUILD back our local football. At the moment, it's DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
who win intercol again ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »
sancho was on cnc 3 news last night. he sound more educated than all dem government minister they show talking bout various thing...including anil roberts and the minister of works.

Offline sealo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »

In full agreement. We have to get off this World Cup hamster wheel and stop chasing our tails. Long term plan yes. But execute consistently on critical short term plans along the way. Start screening for an U-13, U-15 and U-17 and U-20 teams EARLY-'O'-CLOCK and have them exposed to mid-tier regional players like Haiti, El-Salvador, Jamaica within 6 months. Within a year do what is neccessary to have them ready to perform creditably against the likes of Honduras, Panama, the U.S. But Sancho was right tho. We are doomed without a pillar to post cleansing of adminsitration. This must happen wholesale before the ministry of sport even give ttff one red cent more.

I agree with the quote above in that we need have a long term, sustainable development program from primary school level to senior level.

We need to focus more and invest heavily in youth development progams. Have a look at the following link for example: http://soccertotshouston.com/soccertouch.htm?gclid=CMfT9OfVuKwCFUaMtgodIEaTZw. Systems like these for toddlers between 5 and 8 years, together with leagues for U-13 upwards (or even U-8, U-12 and upwards) would ensure the sustainability of a never ending supply of young, technically sound footballers for decades to come. Isn't this something that the TTFF (in conjuncion with the Ministry of Sports) should be able to set?

I was in Brazil in 2007 and 8 am on a Monday morning, I saw toddlers in bibs in training with a coach - albeit on a basket ball type field with a goal made between the two (2) posts, which is quite common in South American countries, but the idea is what we need to take and utilize....

Getting locally qualified coaches (UEFA B, A & Pro license for example) is another aspect to be addressed.

As another fan has quoted: "You must have better coaches who are educating themselves at the highest levels globally in order to improve the depth of the talent pool".

Proper professional coaching needs to be imparted to the youths as early as possible, so that players will benefit from a game-strategy and technical point of view...

If these things can be implemeted and we could have a proper sustainable development system of coaches and players, then qualifying for the World Cup will be a by product of these things.

1]; } ?>