April 26, 2024, 03:13:54 AM

Author Topic: T&T women footballers tangle in Arima today  (Read 4306 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T women footballers tangle in Arima today
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:33:30 AM »
T&T women footballers tangle in Arima today
By Shari John (T&T Guardian)

T&T’s U-17 female footballers will clash with their senior counterparts today at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar, Arima, from 5 pm, as both teams prepare for upcoming tournaments.

The U-17s are currently preparing for the Fifa U-17 Women’s World Cup to be held in T&T from September 5-25; while the senior women are gearing up for the final round of the Caribbean Football Union Tournament, also being held in T&T at a date still to be announced.

T&T seniors, under coach Jamaal Shabazz, have been involved in a six-day camp which started on Tuesday.

Senior Squad:
Adana Hume, Kimika Forbes, Arin King, Tiana Bateau, Rhea Belgrave, Afiya Matthias, Ayana Russell , Daniel Blaire, Falina Jack, Janel Nedd, Nadia James, Karyn Forbes, Dernelle Mascal, Anastasia Prescott, Kenya Cordner, Cassie McKenzie, Candace Edwards, Maylee Attins-Johnson, Natasha St Louis.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: T&T women footballers tangle in Arima today
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:29:18 AM »
Allyuh tink this right? I am sure that the U17 will get a complete mauling. 
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »
Allyuh tink this right? I am sure that the U17 will get a complete mauling. 

I guess any game is better than no game  :-\

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
I not so sure they will get a mauling nah... again I doh rate Shabazz

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Seniors edge local U-17 Princesses 3-2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
Seniors edge local U-17 Princesses 3-2
By Shari John (T&T Guardian)

Kennya Cordner scored three goals for the T&T Senior Soca Princesses on Saturday, as they edged their U-17 counterparts 3-2 at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Arima. The practice match was part of the senior team’s preparations for the Final Round Caribbean Football Union Tournament which will be held in T&T at a date to be announced. It ended the squad’s five-day camp as most of the foreign based players return to their respective colleges on Monday. Caught slightly off guard by their opponents agression, the senior women, captained by Maylee Attin-Johnson, held off the fitter U-17s to end their camp on a high note.

Jo-Marie Lewis scored first for the U-17s before the senior women regained control to find the back of the net three times, before Lewis rounded off the scoring with just a few minutes left in the game. Captain Attin-Johnson later described the game as a notable one, considering the players have not seen each other in more than two years, and came together just four days before. “I think we could have done better, but I have to give credit to the U-17s because they were very aggressive and very fit. Also, they have been training together for over a year now, and we just had a four-day camp and haven’t played together for two to three years.”

She explained that her team was not quite focused, particularly after scoring their three goals, and allowed the U-17s to get back into the game. “We tried to do what the coaches asked but weren’t really focused, but for the four days that we have been together, I thought it was an okay performance.” As it relates to the final round CFU tournament, Attin-Johnson is hoping the majority of players from the current squad is available.

“We have been through a couple Gold Cups and played tough teams like America and know what to expect. A lot of the girls have matured and I think once the fitness and commitment is there, we can go out and execute what Jamaal (Shabazz) wants on the field and we should do well.” The team broke camp after the match, and the squad will not be together until one week before the tournament.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »
So does this mean that U-17 is a boss team or that the senior team not that good.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »
latter unfortunately,

Against our caribbean counterparts we can be quite competitive and even possibly qualify for a Gold Cup.

When is time to match up against North American teams its pretty much a no contest.

The gap is too wide.

Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »
Again I don rate shabazz

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »
i don't think we Senior could get much better eh. Mascall, Johnson, St. Louis and the best GK we have and that is the result? Fadda lawd.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »
So does this mean that U-17 is a boss team or that the senior team not that good.

Could also mean that alot of the seniors are very young....or probably haven't themselves had the career progression through a structured youth program..... and hence probably haven't developed so much beyond the youth stages- don't know much about T&T women's program but as far as it being a developing organization, I gather it's in the very very early stages- so the gap between the youth and seniors probably won't be that big.  Yuh don't become a better footballer simply by getting older. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »

Could also mean that alot of the seniors are very young....or probably haven't themselves had the career progression through a structured youth program..... and hence probably haven't developed so much beyond the youth stages- don't know much about T&T women's program but as far as it being a developing organization, I gather it's in the very very early stages- so the gap between the youth and seniors probably won't be that big.  Yuh don't become a better footballer simply by getting older. 

St. Louis played at "The Fever"
Mascall attending playing/ed at UWF
Johnson played at CU & Kennesaw
Forbes at Monroe CC (I think).
Russell attending UAB
Nedd played at a Uni in Texas & at UAH
James played at CU and a JUCO
Cordner played at YHC
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »

Russell attending UAB
Cordner played at YHC

How strong are those programs compared to a national youth program?  I see a Community College, Junior College, and various College/University programs (none of which I recognize to be very reputable- though I'm admittedly not so dialed in to the women's game)....and you only named 8 players.  I think you're making my point for me.  (Is that what you meant to do?)

Point is- the less developed a nat'l program is (the nat'l youth structure, level of coaching, facilities & infrastructure, in addition to the local professional leagues, and interaction with global counterparts), the less progressive calibration there will be from one level to the next due to the lack of opportunities to play in more advanced and competitive environments.  E.g. the gap between U.S. u-17 WNT and the seniors, is likely to be larger than that which exists between our youths and our seniors- I think that's common sense. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:57:29 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline soccerlover

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 02:51:54 PM »

The u-17s came out pressing and scored early against a flat-footed , static defense...Lewis collecting and and firing unchallenged . From then onwards the u-17s seemed contented with their lead and relied on the occasional counterattack.The seniors were therefore able to have the majority of possession although they kept giving the ball away needlessly.It was clear that they were better technically and tactically on an individual basis but as a team there was no apparent plan . Cordner scored two goals in quick succession , largely due to her pace which none of the u-17s could match . Her third goal was a header off of a corner to which the u-17s defence did not mark or track well.
      The second half saw the u-17s pressing once again while the seniors went into relax mode .With about 20 minutes remaining , Shabazz emptied his bench, replacing the keeper ,the right and left backs,the right and left midfielders and the two forwards. With the exception of the goalkeeper (Adana  Hume ) and an under 15 player (that looked better than some of he u-17s ) ,all of the subs were members of the u-20 squad that played in Guatemala recently .
      The game deteriorated as it went on with neither team really having the upper hand .Lewis was able to score very late when she collected,turned and fired ,unchallenged from about 40m out , catching the keeper close to the top of the box .
       The seniors are supposed to regroup one week before their next round .If their performance is the same, we shouldn't get our hopes up too high . :-\

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »

Russell attending UAB
Cordner played at YHC

How strong are those programs compared to a national youth program?  I see a Community College, Junior College, and various College/University programs (none of which I recognize to be very reputable- though I'm admittedly not so dialed in to the women's game)....and you only named 8 players.  I think you're making my point for me.  (Is that what you meant to do?)

Point is- the less developed a nat'l program is (the nat'l youth structure, level of coaching, facilities & infrastructure, in addition to the local professional leagues, and interaction with global counterparts), the less progressive calibration there will be from one level to the next due to the lack of opportunities to play in more advanced and competitive environments.  E.g. the gap between U.S. u-17 WNT and the seniors, is likely to be larger than that which exists between our youths and our seniors- I think that's common sense. 

All the colleges above except Cu are very strong programs. UWF were undefeated if I'm not mistaken and lost in the semi finals or something like that and the finals last year. Kennesaw has beaten either our U-20 or senior team a couple years ago. Monroe CC is a top Community college that many top D 1 and D 11 recruit from so to is YHC. UAB is always a threat in their conference with some great players. The Texas school that Nedd attended I think the coach was Randy Waldrum who came to T&T to coach one of the female NT last year or year before.

These girls played or are playing in very good programs. What's the difference with them having success up here as oppose to down there?

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
Allyuh fellas looking at all other reasons than the obvious .. the  coach ... lack of structure is purely dependent on what the coach what the coach wants the girls to implement on the field. Shabbazz took the u-20 girls to Mexico with a plan to purely defend and then when they got the inevitable result he pointed fingers directly at them.... a definite sign of poor leadership ... to divert the blame away form himself.
I don't see this senior team reaching very far under him!
Ps calling out a group of good name players don't make a team... just a paper team .... the key obviously is getting them to do good things together

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
What fingers did he point ? I dont remember reading or seeing any interviews as to any finger pointing back at the girls. Can you please enlighten us.

Cheers

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »
Anyone watch that game tonight with USA vs Mexico? Snow covered the field. I was very impressed with Mexico, their individual skill, fitness and team tactics. The US beat them 1-0, but for me in terms of style of play Mexico looked much better. The US playing a direct kind of football and pushed forward quickly almost all the time. In the conditions maybe the best thing to do, but Mexico played a bit more than the US  did. THe US back line lacked pace and skill, not very comfortable with the ball.

T&T have a very long way to go, that's all I can say.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
I was watching parts of games of 3 mexican teams playing in the copa liberatodes(justintv.com). guys, these mexican teams going toe to toe with the brazilian and argentinian teams. But this nothing new to me. i have been seeing this since the early seventies. We still not ready.

1]; } ?>